Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 American Grey Squirrel Commemorative

AP
Washington DC,
1 Feb 08

The United States Mint today announced the planned striking of 2009 American Grey Squirrel Commemorative Dollars. The obverse will feature a squirrel sitting on its hind legs, tail raised in a classic arch, and holding an acorn in its front feet. The obverse will also feature the year 2009, phrase "In God We Trvst", and the word "Liberty". The reverse will feature a southern hunter with a string of squirrels hanging from his belt and a 20 gage shotgun over his shoulder. He will be standing near a large steaming kettle hung over a campfire. The phrases "United States of America" and "One Dollar a Dozen" will be featured on the reverse. The coins are struck in a unique grey 70% tin, 30% zinc alloy, that closely matches the North American Grey Squirrel's natural color.

Plans are also underway for a $5 Gold variant featuring red "flying" squirrels. Off the record US Mint Employees tell the AP this design has been delayed by pricing disputes. Employees from Kentucky insist a full dozen (12) flying squirrels can be had for $5, and favor the "Five Dollars per Dozen" or "12 for $5" phrase. Employees with roots in Gerorgia and Alabama report they always get a bakers dozen for $5.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    American Grey Squirrel Commem? That's about as random as the Monroe Doctrine Commem...
  • Options
  • Options
    Sounds cool, looks like we are going into an animal commemorative program, maybe First Mutts really will happen!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    I just wanted to get one more above your last post image
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Git yer posts down 'ere!
  • Options
    "Woodchuck to Grey Squirrel....Woodchuck to Grey Squirrel...come in Grey Squirrel....over! image
  • Options
    I think thats a record, 3 above the original post.
  • Options
    Alright, this is a step too far. Grey squirrels?? We're now putting roadkill on our coins?

What's next? The rotting fish commemorative dollar program? Rabid raccoon half dollars?

Edit: typo
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I also forgot to mention that last year, there was a grey squirrel on a tree and it dropped an acorn on my head...it kinda hurt...image

And now we're commemorating them?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Jed and Jethro are putting them on the dinner table, not putting them on a coin.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Next thing you know we will be putting ants, rats, snakes........
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    I hope the red squirrels and the black squirrels don't get offended. Then again, the black squirrels might be Canadian so maybe it shouldn't matter if they do.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    We're now putting roadkill on our coins?

LMAO! I thought for sure from the thread title this HAD to be a joke! Who would have ever thunk it....a 'tree rat' commemorative. Jed Clampet would be thrilled...in fact...he may be he hunter on the reverse.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    What is the decision making process here???

What are these people thinking???

I'll be buying one of each, the uncirculated and proof silver dollars.image

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options

<< <i>AP
    Washington DC,
    1 Feb 08

The United States Mint today announced the planned striking of 2009 American Grey Squirrel Commemorative Dollars. The obverse will feature a squirrel sitting on its hind legs, tail raised in a classic arch, and holding an acorn in its front feet. The obverse will also feature the year 2009, phrase "In God We Trvst", and the word "Liberty". The reverse will feature a southern hunter with a string of squirrels hanging from his belt and a 20 gage shotgun over his shoulder. He will be standing near a large steaming kettle hung over a campfire. The phrases "United States of America" and "One Dollar a Dozen" will be featured on the reverse. The coins are struck in a unique grey 70% tin, 30% zinc alloy, that closely matches the North American Grey Squirrel's natural color.

Plans are also underway for a $5 Gold variant featuring red "flying" squirrels. Off the record US Mint Employees tell the AP this design has been delayed by pricing disputes. Employees from Kentucky insist a full dozen (12) flying squirrels can be had for $5, and favor the "Five Dollars per Dozen" or "12 for $5" phrase. Employees with roots in Gerorgia and Alabama report they always get a bakers dozen for $5. >>

I want the one with the low slingin' nuts.....!!!......
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    You sure this release isn't date April 1st?
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds kinda nuts.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    When will the sewer rat commemorative be coming out? loooooooooooool

Got Modern Crap?image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happens when they catch a Bald Eagle eating a Grey Squirrel?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    That would be a bad brockage!
  • Options
    LOL The US Mint is the new Franklin Mint! When will they do the Disney series? LMAO

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The last gray squirrel I saw was under the wheel of my car. Maybe they should have a road kill side to this new commemorative?
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    I'd rather see a squirrel or for that matter a rat or a mole on a United States coin than
    the freak of nature on the reverse of the Morgan dollar.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds kinda nuts. >>

Pun intended?

I like squirrels; I'm in!
  • Options
    SemperFISemperFI Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    obverse will feature a squirrel sitting on its hind legs, tail raised in a classic arch, and holding an acorn in its front feet.

reverse will feature a southern hunter with a string of squirrels hanging from his belt and a 20 gage shotgun over his shoulder.

How will a nice cute squirrel minding his own business eating his little acorn being killed along with his entire family and hung by a rope from some redneck's belt be a collectible? What next? Seeing "California Happy Cows" eating lush clover on the obverse and then on the reverse seeing a butcher with a chainsaw smiling and saying, "This is where your hamburgers come from."
  • Options
    Clearly a few people here do not realize the word gullible is not in any dictionary. Doubt me? Look it up, and if you find it post the Name, Edition, and ISBN number of the dictionary.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope I'm around to "ttt" this thread when the coin is actually announced in 2032.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Red squirrels are way cuter!

• Options

<< <i>I'd rather see a squirrel or for that matter a rat or a mole on a United States coin than
    the freak of nature on the reverse of the Morgan dollar.

image >>

Now, now, be nice. Some would say that certain early large cents boasted a freak of nature on their obverses.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    itsnotjustme..... sorry, check www.dictionary.com Gullible is there and defined. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Did you say GAY squirrel?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!
  • Options
    You could put the motto "Taste like Chicken " on it !image

1997 Matte Nickel strike thru U
    "Error Collector- I Love Dem Crazy Coins"
    "Money, what is money? It is loaned to a man; he comes into the world with nothing and he leaves with nothing." Billy Durant. Founder of General Motors. He died a pauper.
  • Options
    What's ramdom about Monroe doctrine commemorative? This is really the Motion Picture Exposition of 1923 coin. So they needed an event from 1823 which didn't leave much to choose from.
  • Options

<< <i>itsnotjustme..... sorry, check www.dictionary.com Gullible is there and defined. Cheers, RickO >>

I mean a real paper dictionary.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, it's Saturday morning and I've been ignoring this thread, thinking it was just an idle joke..............................are you kiddin' me?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408

<< <i>Now, now, be nice. Some would say that certain early large cents boasted a freak of nature on their obverses. >>

I'll admit the large cents can be silly...
  • Options

<< <i>AP
    Washington DC,
    1 Feb 08

Plans are also underway for a $5 Gold variant featuring red "flying" squirrels. Off the record US Mint Employees tell the AP this design has been delayed by pricing disputes. Employees from Kentucky insist a full dozen (12) flying squirrels can be had for $5, and favor the "Five Dollars per Dozen" or "12 for $5" phrase. Employees with roots in Gerorgia and Alabama report they always get a bakers dozen for $5. >>

I like the huntin dogs on the reverse
  • Options
    No, no hunting dogs are mentioned. Maybe 2010?
  • Options
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I vote we have an official "PUNXSUTAWNEY PHIL GROUNDHOG DAY " commem !

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Gullible - see Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary Tenth edition ISBN-0-87779-708-0 alkaline paper
  • Options
    oh
  • Options
    Since World War II, the American Grey Squirrel has become the scourge of Britain. The Grey Squirrel has taken over and and pushed the native Red Squirrel to a near endangered species. The Grey Squirrel is noted for being a much more aggressive Squirrel than the the Red Squirrel.

• Options
    Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure it was "AP" and not "On-ion"? image
    I would say that this commemorative would be a sign of the apocalypse, but strangely, it's too believable. image
  • Options
    I have been amazed that anyone thought there could be some truth in this story. If I posted it April first, it would have been too obvious of course.

And with regards to gullible, that referes to those who will actually go look it up to prove me wrong. I hope a few people got a gook chuckle from this thread.
  • Options

<< <i>I like the huntin dogs on the reverse
    image >>

OK, I just set that as my background.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O Mr Carr the Squirrel coin beckons to ye..........................

As a young kid along with coins I collected the tails of the squirrels my dad hunted. Dont underestimate the delicious flavor of a well prepared squirrel stew BTW>>>

The bottom drawer of my desk had a dozen or so tails in it. Old and dried, or drying. I though the smell was 'kind of neat'. Well. One day, I came home from school and the tails were gone. Mom had had enough of THAT.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file