Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Generic" PCGS Lincoln slab

I remember hearing a while back that these were part of a promotion for a book or Beginning Collector's Kit (Travers?) and that PCGS made something like 10,000 of these.

I was just wondering if anyone knew any additional info on these......What years can you find in the holders? Anyone found any cool varieties or harder to find dates?

I have thought of trying to assemble a run of these in all dates and MM available.....i guess this would be the ultimate example of collecting the plastic and not the coin however.....I mean from what I've seen so far these are dollar-bin coins in a fancy slab (but is this any different from those who collect GSA soft-pack, non-CC, Morgans? i.e. paying a premium for packaging)

just curious
greg

www.brunkauctions.com

Comments

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I'd pay a premium for that. Some like air tites, some like flips or albums. I like PCGS slabs and that is what most of my collection is in. image
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I have one, a 1926. Sampleslabs.com says the following:

PCGS 10

<< <i>This slab was once thought to be scarce. It might still be semi scarce if no one saved them, but recently I found out from David Hall who told me “These were an item in a Random House marketed Scott Travers "Coin collecting starter kit. "I believed we did either 50,000 or 100,000 of them.” If this is the true production numbers, this is the largest number of samples made for any time from any of the services! Most samples don’t even have 1,000 made of one type.

The Back of the slab is Green and white and does not have the hologram. The dates I have seen range from 1918 through 1929 and each coin is in Fine through Extremely Fine condition. Group lots of 4-8 of these samples can easily be found. This type could still be a challenge for a “short set” of sample slabs by trying to get one of each date.

>>

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask Cammie (Sheriff Sample Slab)... he would have the details. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    there was a thread on the history of PCGS slabs a while back and these were listed on it..

a run of those would make a nice display
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    thanks ricko, does cammie still frequent the boards now that he is with ICG?

pm sent Dennis88

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    CheddyCheddy Posts: 411 ✭✭
    They're sample slabs. I posted a thread about these a while ago. Link
  • Options
    There are 52 on eBay right now. It's a Buy-It-Now for $3 and 1.75 shipping. I don't want to post a link and get yelled at so PM me if you want the link.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, is that a DDO?

• Options
    LeeBone, funny you should ask whether that's a DDO or not

i posted this the other day (and yes, its the same coin)

unfortunately, the majority felt that no it wasnt

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

<< <i>thanks ricko, does cammie still frequent the boards now that he is with ICG?

pm sent Dennis88

greg >>

Greg,

I still come on the boards and have been at ICG three years now.

These are very common samples and sell for $2-3 each.

Cameron
  • Options
    a refresh for the evening crew.....thanks for the link cheddy, i acted on it and purchased the years 1918-19-20-24-25-26-27-28 from that seller

so i now know of 1917-20 and 1924-28

anyone else know of others? surely there is a 1921 and 1923 out there (a 1922 plain would be nice also) image

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    No Problem.

If you want to, just type in "sample slab" on eBay and there are a couple of dimes in rattlers and a couple of Kennedy sample slabs.
    Also there are NGC and some PCGS FRN sample slabs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file