Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What good is a Mint Subscription?

I decided last year I'd sign up for the subscription programs just in case I ever forgot about an upcoming item. Sure enough, I see the 2008 Presidential Proof sets on sale today online. I have a subscription for 3 of these and yet there's no order history in my account for this. Also, I never received the email "a few weeks" prior to the items shipping.

I didn't get an email for my last subscription either, although the address is correct and I get all the other emails.

Anyone else having trouble with their subscriptions?

I'm sure if I order 3 of them today, I'll get an email tomorrow showing they shipped 6 units image

Edited to add:

I'm sure all their problems with the website haven't helped the process.
Successful BST transactions:
commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
-------------------------

Comments

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    It usually works for me. It took a year before it started though. I think I had the same issue you are having at the beginning. Is your credit card up to date?
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i had to double check the subscriptions I had a few times last year. they messed around with mine somehow and i had to delete and re-do them. probably something to be more vigilante, it's your money.

and yes, it may be the new website...and thanks for the reminder to check them again!image
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    Yes, everything's up to date, and I signed up for the subscriptions about 3 or 4 months ago, so every one I chose was beginning for the 2008 calendar year. Also, they appear in 'My Subscriptions' on the Mint page as well.

I suppose I'll give it a couple days to process and if still no email I'll call them.
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I had that happen last year to me with the American Silver Eagles. I had a subscription set up (first time I have ever done that) for 5 of the 2007 Silver Ealges. I noticed that you could buy them online, and thought I may have set up my subscription wrong. So I placed an order for another 5 Silver Eagles online.

Guess what?! About 10 days later I received my set of 5 Silver Eagles. Then 2 days later, I received another set of 5 Silver Eagles, which was from my subscription! No big deal for me, so I just kept them. However, I wasn't impressed with the US Mint.
  • Options
    That happened with me on the 2007 mint sets...subscription for 3, and I got 6 because I got over anxious image

I thought that one began in 2008 too! Oh well, I kept those too.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AS far as I'm concerned, subscriptions are simply another feature the mint implements to irritate it's customer base.

Last year, I had subscriptions for many upcoming releases. Just prior to the first release for any of the items I had on subscription, the mint lost all subscriptions on my account (and I assume all others as well as there was a lot of grumbling around here).

Then, just when I had accepted that subscriptions were gone, and I ordered some coins from the mint website, they found all their lost subscription data and I ended up with double the number of coins.

I then went into the subscription settings for my account and removed all the upcoming subscriptions. Low and behold, they still shipped to me those coins that I had on subscription even though they had been cancelled weeks ahead of the coins release.

What a fuddernutted feature!
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    come to think of it (after checking mine) ...i may have the same problem with my prezzy proof sets, you have.
  • Options

<< <i>come to think of it (after checking mine) ...i may have the same problem with my prezzy proof sets, you have. >>

I just called CS and she checked and said I do not need to place another order, they will be shipped to me. However, should couldn't tell me when. Just said it should show up in order history when they process it.

I'm thinking these subscriptions are a bigger hassle than they're worth.
  • Options
    They are a nice mechanism for automatic delivery of their "standard" products. They generally tend to ship earlier in the process, though they are not always the "first" shipped. I've had a number of subscriptions since they began. The down side is that you pay for shipping multiple orders, rather than just on one larger order.

Eric
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been doing it for several years.. always works well... usually get the email a day before the package arrives. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    It works but sometimes it takes a little while to kick in and sometimes it drops off for no reason. I went back to the old fashioned way of getting manually pissed at the Mint for screwing up orders. BTW, I just got a set of 10th Anniversary platinum coins that were ordered Dec 14th. What is up with that? image
  • Options
    3:03PM EST today from the Mint in an email...

"Dear United States Mint Customer,

We have reserved inventory for your order of the 2008 United States Mint Presidential $1 Coin Proof Set™. However, due to our transition in service providers, we are unable to provide specific order information at this time. Please be assured your subscription order will ship within one to two weeks. Upon shipment, you will receive a shipping confirmation email notification. "

Case closed...at least they sent out a response!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file