Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Houston, the Eagle has landed ...

Arrived today - quick shots with fuz/spots on the capsule. I'll look closely tomorrow to make sure there is nothing untoward on the coin's surfaces. A handsome design indeed.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
–John Adams, 1826

Comments

• Options
    Wow...congrats!! That's the Bald Eagle SD Proof, right?

Gorgeous!
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    The obverse is awesome. Is that a chicken on the reverse?
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes me wana strangle the order takers at the Mint for not changing my on hold order status.image

Great looking coin ... I'm looking forward in getting my order ... what the heck...I may order some more...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Yea, I think they used Marty's rubber chicken to model the reverse. imageimage

Yes, that is the Bald Eagle SD Proof. All else is on backorder at the moment.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Nice looking obverse.image
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did DCarr design that?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    What's with that awfully scrawny looking turkey buzzard design. image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Oh, holy chicken...I missed the reverse composition! Ha, that really does look like a chicken. I'm SURE the coin in hand looks much more eagular (new word?).
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    There's a Mexican coin from the early days of its independence, where the eagle on the reverse truly looks like a chicken. One was shown recently at my local coin club's meeting. If somebody has an image of that, it would be great to compare.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. I love the design. Wish I was in a buying mood. image
  • Options
    The obverse is awesome!

I think that the bird on the reverse looks more like a pidgeon than a chicken. It kind of reminds me of the chicken on the reverse of the Franklin half.
  • Options
    Wow, that is the first colorized shield that I have seen on a US coin in many, many years.
    Coin and print engravers developed a system of showing heraldry colors by a system of hatching. (The heralds weren't pleased. They preferred tricking.) Verticle lines are red. Horizontal lines are blue. The absence of any lines indicate white. Hence the shield is shown in red, white and blue. Many US coins show the shield colored that way including the 3 cent silver, Indian Head cent and up to the Liberty Head double eagle. This all disappeared from regular coinage in 1909, but the Walking Liberty Half shows Miss Liberty wearing a flag with red stripes and a white field. The original Silver Eagle repeated this sceme but soon changed the white field to black (intersecting cross hatching lines). Several modern commemoratives (1936 and later) have shown shields but without hatching.
  • Options
    Cleaner pics today.

–John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    the obverse is beautiful, but the reverse still looks like an anemic chicken image
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    Curious, why only 13 stars? Respectfully, John Curlis(Yes, I know original States, but this is 2008, and it would seem to be non-recognition of the rest of the United States. Is there a law that requires only 13 stars)? Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cleaner pics today.

image >>

Great pics, Thanks.....image
  • Options
    With the black and white picture, it almost has a Czarist appearance. Respectfully, John Curlis(was trying to stay away from the word -soviet- and reveal my paranoia).
  • Options
    Nice pictures, Congrats, I can't wait to get mine!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone get gold or clads yet?
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that the reverse is reproduction or representation of the Great Seal of the United States.

From the mints web page ...
    In 1782, the Second Continental Congress selected the Bald Eagle as our National Emblem of the United States and made it the centerpiece of the Great Seal of the United States. The majestic Bald Eagle has come to symbolize America's freedom, strength and democracy. The $1 and $5 gold have different seals.

US Mint
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options

<< <i>Here is a link to the info regarding the designers for all issues. >>

Mesquite, good info and link, i missed missed it earlier.

I posted this one ...
    US Mint
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
  • Options
    Did we have 13 stars in 1782? I guess I could look it up....but assuming we did, then the 13 stars make a little more sense, I guess. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options

<< <i>Did we have 13 stars in 1782? I guess I could look it up....but assuming we did, then the 13 stars make a little more sense, I guess. Respectfully, John Curlis >>

I believe so. Here's a cool link on wikipedia
    Great Seal

btw Super looking coin and I look forward t getting mine ... hopefully soon.
  • Options
    baddogss, thank you, that will do it for me(but admit it, you had to look it up too)image Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options

<< <i>baddogss, thank you, that will do it for me(but admit it, you had to look it up too)image Respectfully, John Curlis >>

imageimage
  • Options
    Oh, and Respectfully, welcome, baddogss. John Curlis
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, and Respectfully, welcome, baddogss. John Curlis >>

Glad to be here, hope to learn a lot. image
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone get gold or clads yet? >>

Mine are on the Fed X truck and should be here in the next hour and a half or so, I will get pics of them posted as soon as they get here. Shipped items are the 3 coin proof set, uncirc Gold, uncirc Silver dollar, and the uncirc clad half is still on backorder.
  • Options
    As Promised:

Gold Uncirc:

Silver Uncirc:

3 Coin Proof Set:

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to get mine. I ordered the dollar and half dollar.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    rgCoinGuy, I borrowed your photo to do a side-by-side of the $5 and $1 reverses. The designs are different. BTW, your set looks great.

The obverse (front) of the $5 gold coin sculpted by Phebe Hemphill and designed by Susan Gamble. The coin’s reverse was sculpted by Don Everhart and comes from an image of the 1903 engraved, Great Seal of the United States.

The obverse (front) of the $1 silver coin was designed by Joel Iskowitz and sculpted by Don Everhart. The coin’s reverse, sculpted by Jim Licaretz, comes from a replica of the first Great Seal of the United States that was used between 1782 and 1841.

–John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    COOL!
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    I cannot look at the reverse of the dollar without laughing.

CG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file