Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I have my first buyer dispute **UPDATE, I LOST** UPON FURTHER REVIEW....I WON :)

I sold 3 cards to an ebay buyer on Jan 7th. I shipped them the same day with dc. I have the receipt as well.

The buyer contacted me last week stating he did not receive them yet. He filed a paypal dispute the other day. I have provided paypal with the dc number and they are now reviewing the case.

I checked the dc number and it says that the package made it to the Phoenix po on Jan 8th but no info after that. So by the looks of it he did not get them or the po worker forgot to scan the package and the buyer actually has them. I don't know?

Am I going to get hosed out of $250.00? The buyer did not take insurance. I really don't know what else I could have done short of delivering them myself.

Is having a dc number all I need to have the outcome decided in my favor?

Comments

• Options
    Well if it was 250 dollars you are required to use Signature confirmation. However if it does not show as delivered you are screwed.
  • Options
    I think the Post Offices are screwing up. i Bought a card on ebay Dec 7th, and 8th, and i finaly got them both last week. when I looked at the post mark it said 8th and 10th of Dec. morale of the story it took over a month to get here. I never filed a claim. the sellers asured me they were sent and I just plyed the waiting game. totally wasn't there fault.
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Ya Matt... I've had a few of the same experiences that BassPro77 has had. Delivery this past Dec/Jan has had it's share of really weird SLOW times.
    If your DC doesn't show an actual DELIVERY, you might be screwed... but the good news is, Paypal doesn't exactly 'get on' their disputes in a timely fashion.
    That being said, you'll probably have at LEAST another week to allow that package to get to where it's suppose to be, and hopefully the DC will be
    updated on-line and help resolve this issue.

Best of luck man.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Matt if it was $250 and you didn't use signature confirmation you're going to lose for sure. Paypal requires it, you didn't use it, they'll side with the buyer every time.

Kind of too late now but the insurance protects the seller more than the buyer. Always worth the couple bucks to protect yourself when dealing with an ebayer you don't know.

With delivery confirmation we're nationally between 97.5 and 98.5% scanned delivered. I see labels that are smeared and can't be read by the scanner, occasional invalid numbers even after typing them in by hand, and I see carrier mistakes. All 3 combine to make the 1.5 -2.5%. USPS is on us to do better. It wouldn't have helped you other than letting you know you were scammed.

• Options
    Try to get the phone number of the post office it's at and give them a call. I believe that yoyu can get the number on usps.com
  • Options
    Good day Matt,
    Well I am in the same boat as you. I have had delivery problems with USPS in Dec/Jan as well. One Dic%&khead sends me an e-mail two weeks after I sent card, I sent email back that it had been only a couple of weeks, wait. He does, a couple of days, then files a dispute and gets nasty. So in the interest of making it go away I send the guy his money back, this time with delivery confirmation. The problem with this is, I know the guy got the card by now, (If not it would have been back to me by now), but I can't prove it (No Del. Conf.) So as to not take the strike and the Neg Feedback, I give him his money and he gets the card.
    Second, same thing, sent card on/or about Dec 23rd, still hasn't shown up, good customer and a PSA Registered Set member, so I know he isn't BS'ng around, or I would see the card in his set, so I am going to refund as well. So where did this card disappear to? USPS used to be extremely reliable for me......But lately !!!!!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    The post office seems to be incredibly slow right now. Give it another week.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    IF the circumstance is exactly as Matt described, the CRIMINAL
    buyer will prevail in the PP dispute/claim.

When using PP, insurance is designed SOLELY to protect the
    seller. You can get away w/o it for a long time; eventually, you
    will get burned.

IF a buyer cannot be conned into paying for the insurance, the
    seller must buy it; or, the seller must be wiling to take the loss.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Storm, a little harsh on calling him a criminal as of now, as it looks like he probably hasn't received the package yet. Now, if he does receive it and notices there isnt signature confirmation and still follows through on the claim,you bet hes a criminal, among other things.

Matt, I would send him a polite email (if you already havent) letting him know that it was indeed shipped on date x, and that it should arrive there shortly. Hopefully he's the type of person that just genuinely wants the cards he paid for, and wont scam you when/if he finds out he has the chance.
  • Options
    It doesn't look good for you.

I am at the point where I make it clear in the shipping details that insurance is required in the shipping fees. Mail delivery has been nothing short of horrible recently. I've had multiple items taking 2+ weeks, even items that have been sent via Priority Mail. With all of that being said, it's a good idea to have the insurance.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Sorry Matt but doesn't sound like a great fact pattern. HOPEFULLY the package will turn up.

I "self-insure" up to $100 or so and then buy postal insurance above that when I am seller.

SUCKS to learn a lesson but I think it's a $250 lesson for you (and us).

Bummer.
  • Options
    Matt, there must be some problem with the Phoenix post office. I had insured a $310 card back on 7/31/07 that arrived in Phoenix on 8/2, but apparently was never seen again. I eventually refunded the buyer through paypal and filed a complaint with the USPS. I provided the insurance receipt, the auction ended page, an SMR page to verify reasonable market value and a letter from the buyer stating that they did not receive the article. I would get that before doing a refund. It took about 3 months for my refund because my amount exceeded $300. Normally, anything under $300 should take about 6 weeks.

Just out of curiosity, who was the buyer?
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Matt, there must be some problem with the Phoenix post office. I had insured a $310 card back on 7/31/07 that arrived in Phoenix on 8/2, but apparently was never seen again. I eventually refunded the buyer through paypal and filed a complaint with the USPS. I provided the insurance receipt, the auction ended page, an SMR page to verify reasonable market value and a letter from the buyer stating that they did not receive the article. I would get that before doing a refund. It took about 3 months for my refund because my amount exceeded $300. Normally, anything under $300 should take about 6 weeks.

Just out of curiosity, who was the buyer? >>

Thanks for the info!

The buyer is ebay id: abejam11. His name is Mark Diedrick in Prescott AZ
  • Options
    Well, that's a totally different ebayer than mine. Just try and get that letter from the buyer before you do a refund.

Maybe the main Phoenix post office has a collector in its midst.
  • Options
    "Storm, a little harsh on calling him a criminal as of now, ..."

////////////////////////////////////////

Yup.

When I speak, you are always hearing the jaded-voice of experience.

THOUSANDS of buys by me. ONE loss due to mis-delivery.

THOUSANDS of sales by me. DOZENS of "mis-delivered/lost" items.

EBAY sellers, GOOD.

EBAY buyers, BAD.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's correct about the "signature confirmation" which of course is different than "delivery confirmation"

If the item is $250.00 even or more paid through PayPal, then it has to be "signature confirmation" - if it's $249.99 or less then "signature confirmation" is not required.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Matt, you're going to lose. You need signature confirmation for $250 and above. I think lately, I've been running into a lot of the same thing whereas DC will say " the package is being processed at so and so facility in so and so city" and that's it. It never says it's been delivered, but luckily some has left me feedback saying they got it etc. I've been wondering that since it never said "delivered" even though they got it, buyers can now look into it and use that as a loophole because the carriers don't scan them upon delivery.

Oh, and I've gone back to old school for this reason. I have 2 seller's account now. One that accepts paypal (cheap items $1 - $25), and the other one just accepts checks and money orders (on expensive items $30 and higher). So far the one that accepts checks and money orders, I haven't seen a big difference in sales dropping.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Today i shipped a 250.00 order to a new buyer. This buyer seems ok, but for 3.00 or 4.00 I was able to get 250.00 worth of insurance which requires the signature.

Matt I hope it works out for you.

Email the guy and tell him that his PO claims they delivered it, make no mention of the signature required BS, maybe he will back down if he did in fact get it. Unless of course he knows the system and is working it.

Sorry this is happening to you.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>That's correct about the "signature confirmation" which of course is different than "delivery confirmation"

If the item is $250.00 even or more paid through PayPal, then it has to be "signature confirmation" - if it's $249.99 or less then "signature confirmation" is not required. >>

Oh, in that case, the actual sale was $244.00 and some change. I rounded up before. So I guess I have some hope?
  • Options
    Unless I missed it, I don't think it was mentioned about "confirmed" or "unconfirmed" addresses - if shipped to an "unconfirmed" address, and the buyer claims they didn't get it, you're screwed by PayPal no matter what you do. Naturally there would be recourse in Small Claims court, but not with King PayPal.
  • Options
    Anyone else think Matt's buyer was a lil quick to notify Paypal? It is barley 3 weeks since the auction ended at this time and the guy did it last week?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Also - Anything "expensive" I always ship by UPS.
  • Options
    "Oh, in that case, the actual sale was $244.00 and some change. I rounded up before. So I guess I have some hope? "

///////////////////////

Yup.

You're off the hook on the signature.

BUT, online-delivery proof is STILL required.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That's correct about the "signature confirmation" which of course is different than "delivery confirmation"

If the item is $250.00 even or more paid through PayPal, then it has to be "signature confirmation" - if it's $249.99 or less then "signature confirmation" is not required. >>

Oh, in that case, the actual sale was $244.00 and some change. I rounded up before. So I guess I have some hope? >>

Yes, that's good - I thought you might have rounded up that figure to $250.

Good luck with this Matt!

-
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Here are the auction links if anyone cares to see:

link

link

link

The buyer's address is also confirmed.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Thanks guys. Here are the auction links if anyone cares to see:

I remember those image

Good luck bud. Like Steve said earlier, I think you may
    have run into a buyer who knows the system since he notified
    Paypal rather quickly. If the carrier didn't scan the DC; not much
    you can do.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks guys. Here are the auction links if anyone cares to see:

I remember those image

Good luck bud. Like Steve said earlier, I think you may
    have run into a buyer who knows the system since he notified
    Paypal rather quickly. If the carrier didn't scan the DC; not much
    you can do. >>

That's what I am afraid of.

I may just close my checking account. Screw 'em. I'm not gonna be ripped off by some scammer or pay for postal worker's incompetence
  • Options
    Matt

I could be wrong and JIM the mailman can correct me but I am under the impression that the mail carriers do not scan the item at the door but that they scan all of the items that require it as they sort them for the day. Some may do it at the door, my guy only scans at the door if a signature is required, those items that just get a del confirmation he does at the station for that days items.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    My carriers scan the things when they put them in my boxes.

The online info then shows delivery at my ZIP. Which ZIP is not
    the ZIP of the various POs.
  • Options
    Thanks Steve. I was already in contact with the usps and opened two investigations at the Phoenix po, where the card went from me and the Prescott po, where the card was supposed to go from Phoenix. It does not show as delivered to the Prescott facility. Maybe the buyer is being honest.
  • Options
    Steve we're supposed to scan them at the mailbox so the the time is accurate. Also the postmasters really frown on doing that early in case something goes wrong. In my climate I never know which mailboxes got hit by cars or plows the nite before!
  • Options
    Matt if it was first class or priority the clerks are supposed to scan as arrived in the morning, if it was parcel post they don't scan it. If it was first class ask the PM at the Prescott office if they scan all the arriving 1st class and priority as arrived. If they do then it's possibly lost at the DC in Phoenix. If that's the case then your buyer would be telling the truth.
  • Options
    You should have charged for and used insurance....thats your responsibility to get it there safely, not his concern. My guess is you will lose.
    "You must understand the difference in things that are similar, and the similarity of things that are different"

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did lawnmowerman win yet?image
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    [nelson voice]

HA-HA!

[/nelson voice]
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    The odds that the mail carrier didn't scan the package AND the buyer is a scam artist are fairly slim. I had a PSA box that was sitting at a USPS shipping unit for almost 3 weeks before it finally got to my PO and eventually my house. That's probably what happened here. Tell the guy to give it some time. You obviously sent the package and the USPS is dragging its feet. Nothing you can do about it. Paypal will tell him to wait a couple weeks I suspect.

Lee
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    This is all the more reason UPS Ground is the way to go for more expensive items like this one. You'd be fully insured for the first $100 plus you get DC and online package tracking for free. And where I'm from, most of the eastern half of the US would get my package in two days, not three.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    I just spoke to my guy and what i thought (about him scanning at the PO) was wrong, he told me he scans any item at the time of delivery. He parks his truck, and for the houses that he does at a time he will scan them and then deliver them. So in ecsence he does it at the point of delivery. I just never saw him scan them when i met him at the door. By the way he was also one of my catchers. So I never have postal problems.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Estil the only problem I have with UPS is how they at times just leave packages at the door. 1 day I came home to a 500.00 box full of 55 Topps cards left in a puddle at my door. Luckily the cards were not ruined.

Your cards will go out tomorrow.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    If you print the labels from paypal (which I do on every single transaction now) you get DC for free or .18 cents plus the dc# is stored right in the paypal transaction now AND, if you go to Order Details on ebay, you'll even see when the label was printed and if it was delivered. Another thing you can do is with PayPal multi-package shipping, you can have the post office scan that sheet (one barcode) and it will mark all of your packages as accepted by the USPS.

I have had a couple items not scanned by the PO before. GUys have left me feedback for items and I check delivery status and it just says the item was accepted at such and such location on date/time. Luckily I've never been screwed by that one before.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    get hi to go to the po and see if they can find out anything, hes closer to it than you are,his stuffs got to be inbetween there and him somewhere, ive had thing vanish and reappear before, i dont know where stuff goes, it just vanishes and pops back out a few weeks later, ive had em drop stuff under a shelf or counter before and send it out weeks afterwardsimage
  • Options
    I just called my bank. I told them the situation and they said I could put a stop payment on the electronic tranfer before it happens. It would be good for 6 months.

It would cost me $36.00 but that's alot better than $244.00.

Paypal can scratch my nuts.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    registered from PSA sent on 1/23 still not here, maybe I Pissed off the postman?
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    Paypal can scratch my nutsimageimageimage
    i like it -haaaaaaaaaaa
  • Options
    "Another thing you can do is with PayPal multi-package shipping, you can have the post office scan that sheet (one barcode) and it will mark all of your packages as accepted by the USPS. "

////////////////////////////////

MANY clerks refuse to scan the PP DC on acceptance.
    It is scanned on delivery.

They are happy to scan the one you pay for at the USPS,
    but have evidently been told that they "do not" have to
    scan the cheapie from PP.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭
    Only had one problem with the PO and DC. I had a package scanned in at my PO, never scanned out for delivery or delivered. I talked to carrier supervisor and he said give him a day or two to check around. I go back a couple days later and get the song and dance saying that the scanners are used by many people, even though only one person should be logged in at the time. He said he couldn't find the package and no one "knows" anything about it. Long story short, he pays me $50 IN CASH, no paper work was filled out etc.. I had my $$ back. It seems as though he knew what happened and was covering for someone. I know it wasn't my carrier, as I am very friendly with him and he knows what is coming and going from here, and the Xmas gift can't hurt.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    just a few notes from a buyers side. the buyer he was really jumping the gun with filling a complaint, i wait 3 weeks post-paypal payment before i email seller. if no response from seller after a week they get another email saying i will have to file a complaint.

as for shipping UPS for expensive stuff...well i have nearly 100% of my stuff to my PO box. why...well the mrs and i both work in chicago and are gone from 6:30 to 6:30 M-F...we also have road side (rural) collection so anyone can help themselves to the mail...the nearest UPS collection center that i have to go to is 45 mins each way. hence its safer and more convient for me to have stuff go to my PO. UPS cant ship to PO boxes.

as for droping PayPal on highend cards and not seeing any drop in sales...ask the guy that just sold a Jim Thorpe Jersey/Auto card for around $5000. that sounds good until you know that the last one sold for over $12,000. seller would only take postal MO or MO. which to me screams scam, though maybe not.

when i sell, which i dont do much, but do for some friends...i always send with DC at minimum and insurance for all high price items. on higher end items i require insurance. others its optional.

yes the mail can be late. i had the same thing happen to me with an item postmarked around thanksgiving and not showing up til new years. seller said he had shipped, since i dealt with him many times i let it slide longer than normal. but it did show up.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>I just called my bank. I told them the situation and they said I could put a stop payment on the electronic tranfer before it happens. It would be good for 6 months.

It would cost me $36.00 but that's alot better than $244.00.

Paypal can scratch my nuts. >>

Matt, personally I think it is the USPS screw up had an item take 24 days to go 350 miles, the seller was patient and finally received the item, and left positive feedback, my policy is anything over 100.00 insurance is required and I make the buyer pay for it. in a dispute under 250 if you can show a Dc number with postal delivery confirmation you will win the dispute had 1 buyer try saying he didn't receive the item but the DC showed it was delivered of course Paypal froze my money for about 2 weeks and then gave it back.

On another note if the post office lost the item and shows it was not delivered the buyer wins the dispute, it is a tuff bullet to bite and lose 244.00, but look at the buyers point of view he is out 244.00. myself I would hate to lose 244.00 or even 10.00, but in this case if the item never shows up, I believe you owe the buyer 244.00 just my opinion and hopefully USPS will find your item and deliver it in the next week or so.

• Options
    I posted about this before the holidays, but sellers should always use Signature Confirmation, not Delivery Confirmation, especially for expensive items.

All Delivery Confirmation ensures is that the mail carrier says that they delivered it and scanned it as such. It offers no proof of receipt by the buyer.
  • Options
    "All Delivery Confirmation ensures is that the mail carrier says that they delivered it and scanned it as such. It offers no proof of receipt by the buyer. "

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

It covers sellers with PayPal, for items under $250.00.