Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

obverse vs reverse

How come the reverse, on most coins, is often in much better condition that the obverse? I'm not just talking about circulated coins either. Many Morgans that I see look like MS67 reverses but MS64 obverses. I have also noted this in other series. Is it just me?
My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry

Comments

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    No, I've also noticed and there has been some more discussion here about this in the past. Maybe a search can bring up a few of those threads...

Dennis
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obverse usually has more open area (eg Liberty's cheek and open fields on the Morgan dollar) which makes contact makes more visible and obvious. The reverse usually has more detail which tends to hide and camoflage any contact marks.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PerryHall makes a good point... frequently, as stated, the reverse is more complex than the obverse... it could very well be the contributing factor to the phenomenon. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Especially on Barber 25/50 coinage.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always believed that reverses are much nicer on these
    coins because the dies press DOWN the planchet into the
    reverse die, leaving a much nicer strike, and surface, in
    most situations.

The metal must flow UP into the obverse die; yes, there
    is the same tonnage of pressure used, but the metal
    is forced down into the dies, as opposed to flowing up
    into the dies.....

You don't see the effect that much on clad coins, and of
    course since the mid-90's, many reverse dies are the upper
    or hammer dies.

Also, since around 2001, most of the presses used in Phila.
    and Denver are the Horizontal Schuler Dies.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I think a lot of it has to do with the old coin boards and holders.

The coins are alway placed face up. The reverse is always protected by the backing on the board.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Especially on Barber 25/50 coinage. >>

I disagree with this. I honestly cannot remember seeing a Barber coin that was more worn on the obverse than on the reverse. They are notorious for having G or even VG obverses and AG or Fair reverses. Back in the day, it was required that a Barber coin have a full rim reverse to be a Good, but nowdays the reverse letters can wear into the rim a bit and still be a Good. People realized (or grade inflation, whatever) that full rim reverses are VGs.

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Early 20th century mint documents indicate that the coiners and engraver felt that the obverse was the most important side of a coin or medal. They also felt that the die in the lower (anvil) position got a better strike than the upper (hammer) position. For S-G $20s the obverse was in the anvil position, other coins seemed to have been tried in both positions and the coiner picked which one gave the best looking coins of that design.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

i think fred nailed itimage
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There can't be any significant difference between obverse and reverse wear on a normal coin.
    Wear starts at the highest points and works down. The collisions and sliding that affect wear
    are virtually identical between the obverse and reverse. There can be some difference in the
    way a specific obstacle being hit at a specific speed affects broad areas of design and the, ini-
    tially, narrow rim on the reverse of most US coins but most wear is the result of sloughing of
    metal from friction rather than shedding through collision. In other words the metal missing from
    the obverse will equal the metal missing from the reverse.

Most US coins are shaped a little like a lens. The reverse is concave and protected by its rims.
    This leaves the reverse design relatively unaffected while the coin "rides" on its obverse.

It's not true that there is a significant difference in the forces that shape the reverse and obverse.
    The only difference is the weight of the coin itself which is tiny compared to coining forces and
    applies only to vertical presses.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I think that the OP is discussing the fact that some coins have less abrasions or contact marks on the reverse than the obverse. This is very common and easily seen on Morgan dollars. I think cladking summed it up well when he wrote: "Most US coins are shaped a little like a lens. The reverse is concave and protected by its rims."

Regarding the fact that one side of a coin can be better struck than the other is not true. Pascal's principal in fluid dynamics states that a pressure applied to a liquid (molten coin planchet) in a container (the closed cylinder of the coining chamber -- obverse die, reverse die and collar) will be equally exerted to all points on that liquid. What is true is that some dies are cut in higher relief than others, thus giving the appearance of more detail, but this should not be confused with strike weakness or uneven wear.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file