Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

**ALERT** Fake Pujols Fleer Legacy Rookie Autos , SCANS...

In the last 6 months , there has been a rash of these Pujols Fleer Legacy Auto cards on the market...for 6 years, this card was VERY hard to come by...although it was reported that 399 of these real auto cards originally existed, only about 60 seemed to make it into circulation...they would come up for sale once a month or even less......

now they are for sale , mostly raw,every week on ebay....

what happened is this, Fleer never got all the intended auto versions signed by pujols in 2001(there is a nonauto version also)...they had leftover "authentic Autograph" stamped cards with no auto, and when they went bankrupt and all their assets were sold, these unsigned "auto" versions made it out of fleer HQ's....

unfortunatley they fell into the hands of a crook and they took it upon themselves to hand sign theyse "unsigned" auto cards.....not only did they do a bad job on the Auto,they placed it in the wrong spot....

I already notified Joe Orlando and he is in agreement, and PSA will no longer grade these....a few slipped into PSA slabs beacuse Joe said they assumed the AUto was fine because it was a post 1998 Auto card directly from the manufacturer...

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, and im working on the source of these auto's....i wont say anymore because my investigation is not complete...

here is a currect list of the fakes auto serial numbers:, 204, 206, 207, 208, 511, 358, 366, 372, 287, 326, 073, 736, 549, 294, 685, 249, 255, 729, 581, 258, 291, 513....many more to come i think unfortunately

fake:

real:

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are really, really bad fakes. Fleer, even though they were going out of business, should have destroyed those because of the tendencies of crooks like that.

What does that do to the value of a real one?

Shane

• Since PSA will no longer grade them, shouldn't the card be removed from the Pujols registry to make it fair to other collectors trying to assemble 100% of the set???
  • ah, its not in the Pujols registry, it never was...

• it would be , however, be included in the yet to be created Pujols 2001 Rookie Year Master Collection, which would include all 193 of his 2001 cards--autos, parallels, and inserts....
  • Why would it be reported that 399 exist, when yours is numbered to 799. And also, if 60 real ones exist, why is your real one 263/799?
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey

• << <i>ah, its not in the Pujols registry, it never was... >>

I guess that makes sense. I guess the PSA-graded one you have is rather valuable, huh?
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    They say "Authentic Autograph" in grey at the bottom. Fleer did a sorry image job with that set to start with if the autos were skip numbered. I guess you can find an authentic non auto version to match numbers with but they numbered them /799 to have 300 signed which were really 60 signed and the numbers out of order. What a bunch of idiots, no wonder your company went broke and filled the market with unsigned authentic auto cards, congrats you are the new Score Board.

• << <i>Why would it be reported that 399 exist, when yours is numbered to 799. And also, if 60 real ones exist, why is your real one 263/799? >>

there are 799 of these cards, 399 supposably autos, and 400 non auto versions...

the problem is they are not sequentially numbered..some real autos have low numbers and others have high numbers...

• << <i>

<< <i>Why would it be reported that 399 exist, when yours is numbered to 799. And also, if 60 real ones exist, why is your real one 263/799? >>

there are 799 of these cards, 399 supposably autos, and 400 non auto versions...

the problem is they are not sequentially numbered..some real autos have low numbers and others have high numbers... >>

Thats weird, i wonder why they wouldnt number them in order.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • maybe that why fleer is no longer..they did things that didnt make sense....

in defense of fleer, they only produced ON CARD autos in 2001, unlike Donruss that put a sticker auto on everything and stamped them /25.....
  • ttt
  • 2 more for sale by dmarcus.....that guy has sold about 10 of these!

link
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Crap, my dad just bought one of these w/o letting telling me. What should I do besides tell him it's a fake? Here is the auction.

Fake
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Ask for a refund and see what happens. I am pretty sure he knows he is selling fakes.
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    what is this world coming to?

man
    RIP GURU

• << <i>Ask for a refund and see what happens. I am pretty sure he knows he is selling fakes. >>

He outright KNOWS they are fakes. Only his Pujols auctions are private auctions
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ask for a refund and see what happens. I am pretty sure he knows he is selling fakes. >>

He outright KNOWS they are fakes. Only his Pujols auctions are private auctions >>

Yuppers.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    After work I am calling my dad and letting him know. I don't pay attention enough to what he buys and he doesn't keep up with all the BS sellers out there like this board. You would think it would be easier to not get scammed than this though.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
    Well he hadn't paid yet, was actually going to tomorrow. So we are not out of any money but what can I do in case he files a non paying bidder with ebay? Can I call safe harbor and let them know it's fake?
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    iIf the guy files NPB have your dad reply to it.

Steve
    Good for you.
    Actually I will have to, he hates dealing with stuff like this. He had his paypal account hacked 2 years ago and still won't reopen the account. I will email the guy saying it's a fake auto and we arent paying but I have a feeling he won't be Ok with that answer.
  • Dmarcus is another one of the guys you have to watch out for. He tried selling a friend of mine a 2005 Absolute Hank Aaron jumbo patch card that was an obvious fake. My friend almost spent $500 for the Aaron, but luckily, he emailed me and ask my opinion, before he bought it.

On the Pujols note... Dmarcus has had his fair share of these Pujols fakes, and so has Shoeless-Joejackson. I would love to hear from them, on where/whom they obtained the cards from, since both of these sellers have had so many copies for sale, with the fake sigs on them.

In no way am I accusing anything, but both of these guys have track records as less than honest sellers, and both have had numerous copies of the fake Pujols cards. Does anyone else find it ironic?

Just my observations..
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    this is getting ridiculous how many these there are!!

i have tracked over 100 fake ones now and they seem to be coming out with greater frequency....

how do you do the ebay write up thing to warn people about these?

its a shame they are still going for over $300....

makes my PSA 9 real version that much better i think..
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "..how do you do the ebay write up thing to warn people about these?"

///////////////////////////////////

You can write an EBAY "guide," and publish it to the site.
    You can also put it on your ME-Page, and on a "feature page"
    in your store.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    I predict, after a bit of a delay, the value of the authentic cards will drop like a rock. Even slabbed.
    IMO If you own one sell it

• << <i>I predict, after a bit of a delay, the value of the authentic cards will drop like a rock. Even slabbed.
    IMO If you own one sell it >>

Not a chance. To us folks who can spot a legit Pujols sig, the prices will actually hold or command more for the legit ones, since they seem to be far few between.

It's not hard to spot a fake, and the only people buying the fakes online are collectors who have no clue as to what a legit Pujols sig looks like. They just want to buy a Pujols auto'd rookie, and assume that the sig must be real. It's a shame.

The only others dealing in the fakes are crooked dealers, who aquired them cheap, knows exactly what they are, and are hoping to cash in on unsuspecting buyers.
  • ZixxZixx Posts: 228 ✭✭

Interesting, and sad too . . .

Pujols

From reading the thread, the one thing it apparently will NOT be is surprising image
  • Well, since it came from Kevin Burge(shoeless-joejackson), I can say he definately knows that these are fakes. He has plenty of hobby experience, and he reads the forums. This forum, and the Beckett forum have covered this topic many times.

On top of a fake sig, I would not be surprised if the card also had a shave before PSA holdered it, since it came from a well known card trimmer.

Looks like Burge just ripped off another poor soul, and to the tune of $2300, this time. Ouch!

EDIT:

Just to clear up, I am not saying PSA knowingly holders trimmed cards, but Burge is known for being fairly good at trimming cards. This comes from guys he has associated himself with in the past. By looking at some of his submission #s, you can see he gets his share of them rejected, but who knows how many he actually gets through undetected.
    psa did not know these were fake at the time A FEW WERE SLABBED....JOE told me if the card is an auto from the manufacturer, they USUAlly take the manufactures word...however, they have made an exception for this card and no longer grade these because PSA realized they are fake.....i believe 3 or 4 copies made it into slabbs before i could notify PSA....

PSA is not a fault for the few slabbed fakes...

also , the real auto vesion of this card is VERY RARE..less than 60 exist and they RARELY come up in auction....

its a shame this card is tainted because it is a beautiful ON CARD AUTO, and is the rarest ON CARD Pujols Rookie AUto in existence...

• << <i>psa did not know these were fake at the time A FEW WERE SLABBED....JOE told me if the card is an auto from the manufacturer, they USUAlly take the manufactures word...however, they have made an exception for this card and no longer grade these because PSA realized they are fake.....i believe 3 or 4 copies made it into slabbs before i could notify PSA....

also , the real auto vesion of this card is VERY RARE..less than 60 exist and they RARELY come up in auction....

its a shame this card is tainted because it is a beautiful ON CARD AUTO, and is the rarest ON CARD Pujols Rookie AUto in existence... >>

I beg to differ on the Fleer being the rarest on card auto. The Topps Reserve retail TRA-3 is the most rare. Topps suggests there are 50 or less of those(at least that is what they told me on the phone last year). Either way, it trumps the Fleer in looks and sale price, when they come up for auction.

<< <i>

<< <i>psa did not know these were fake at the time A FEW WERE SLABBED....JOE told me if the card is an auto from the manufacturer, they USUAlly take the manufactures word...however, they have made an exception for this card and no longer grade these because PSA realized they are fake.....i believe 3 or 4 copies made it into slabbs before i could notify PSA....

its a shame this card is tainted because it is a beautiful ON CARD AUTO, and is the rarest ON CARD Pujols Rookie AUto in existence... >>

I beg to differ on the Fleer being the rarest on card auto. The Topps Reserve retail TRA-3 is the most rare. Topps suggests there are 50 or less of those(at least that is what they told me on the phone last year). Either way, it trumps the Fleer in looks and sale price, when they come up for auction. >>

true, both are GREAT on CARD RARE auto rookies!
  • TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    So the one pictured here would be fake?

Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football

• << <i>So the one pictured here would be fake? >>

Yes, it's one of the forgeries.
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭
    not saying nothing either way but they have had a couple auctions lately
    i've been watching with the same pujols?huh
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
    amazing, these are coming out with more frequency than ever....6 for sale right now on the bay....

sickening....

good thing this is THE ONLY FAKED PUJOLS CARD I KNOW OFF..

havent seen a real one in months.....

also dont like how they dropped the price in the SMR...

the price for the real ones should be going up!

• << <i>amazing, these are coming out with more frequency than ever....6 for sale right now on the bay....

sickening....

the price for the real ones should be going up! >>

You don't know OFF any others?
  • Yeah, with time, I believe the authentic ones will command a nice price. Right now, I tend to believe the whole market for this card is messed up due to the fakes and their selling prices.

To add further, it will take some time for the hobby to sort these problems out. Once everyone does, and can spot the difference, the real ones will rebound I do believe.

<< <i>

<< <i>amazing, these are coming out with more frequency than ever....6 for sale right now on the bay....

sickening....

You don't know OFF any others? >>

Dizzle, serious go away! you never have anything positive to add, you just chime in to a thread when you can BASH PSA , or other PSA fans....

YOUR A TROLL....

your avatar is offensive and you should be suspended (hopefully for good)

way better people on this board have been suspended for less...

MODS, PLEASE SUSPEND DIZZLE PERMANENTLY, HE IS A BGS TROLL THAT ADDS NOTHING EXCEPT NEGATIVITY ON THESE BOARDS....

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>amazing, these are coming out with more frequency than ever....6 for sale right now on the bay....

sickening....

You don't know OFF any others? >>

Dizzle, serious go away! you never have anything positive to add, you just chime in to a thread when you can BASH PSA , or other PSA fans....

YOUR A TROLL....

your avatar is offensive and you should be suspended (hopefully for good)

way better people on this board have been suspended for less...

MODS, PLEASE SUSPEND DIZZLE PERMANENTLY, HE IS A BGS TROLL THAT ADDS NOTHING EXCEPT NEGATIVITY ON THESE BOARDS.... >>

Hi, fandango it's really a shame you feel that way about me. Cause I think your'e a real nice guy who brings alot of informative discussion to the boards.

On a serious note and really I'm being serious here. Can you please back up what you are saying? Show me some quotes or links to threads where I do this "bashing" and what's offensive about my avatar? If you think throwing your tissy fits and making things up about people makes you a positive contributor to these boards then maybe this isn't the place for me, but since joining you seem to be the only one that has a problem with me or anything I post so it's probally just you.

Did I mention your'e my hero? have a great night fandango image
    all one has to do is look back at your past quotes and most of them are pro beckett, anti-PSA....not to hard to see your agenda....

i wish you would go back to the beckett boards if you love them so much.....

• << <i>all one has to do is look back at your past quotes and most of them are pro beckett, anti-PSA....not to hard to see your agenda....

i wish you would go back to the beckett boards if you love them so much..... >>

Like I said lets see the facts not just what you say back it up or shut your mouth for good ya puke.
    didnt you say goodnight the last post? WELL GOODNIGHT ALREADY! go away!

Take your middle finger avatar WHICH IS VERY OFFENSIVE and say goodnight!

your not wanted here!
    STOP DERAILING AN IMPORTANT THREAD

• << <i>didnt you say goodnight the last post? WELL GOODNIGHT ALREADY! go away!

Take your middle finger avatar WHICH IS VERY OFFENSIVE and say goodnight!

your not wanted here!
    STOP DERAILING AN IMPORTANT THREAD >>

Like I said back up your claims you wanna try and make me look bad here's chance. Prove yourself for once and let everyone know your not crazy. That's all I ask of you, Is it that hard? you claim I come here and bash PSA daily but yet you can't dig up one thread??

Back up your words and I'll never respond to another one of your posts again.

And for your info there is no middle finger crud in my avatar..

also I said goodnight cause I figured you should be getting to bed soon..
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Legacy Pujols BGS 9.5 -- And is this one bogus, too?
    what do u think?

• << <i>what do u think? >>

Ok, I'm being 100% serious here fandango. so please don't flip and post something negative..

Out of the few fakes I've seen people post on this board and others as well, It looks like the fake sigs were done by the same person is there a chance 1 person got there hands on all the bankruptcy version of this card or have you seen some where the sig is totally different? If this has been brought up already I missed it..
  • Dizzle,

Yes, clearly, the same person signed all of the fakes. I would love to be able to track the records to see exactly who aquired all of them in the Fleer fire sale. Then, we might have a serious case to persue.
  • While we are on the topic of fakes, this one has been bugging me. I am willing to bet this was a card that got the sig wiped off, and resigned by someone other than Pujols. Hence, the back is also numbered #1/500. Hmmm....

I have never seen Pujols not place the dot after his "A". Plus, it just looks off all the way around. I would not touch this card in any way.
    wow! i havent seen that before! clearly has been "rubbed" and that is not his sig!

where did you see that?
  • It was on Ebay a while back. When I compared it to mine, the marker is a bit different shade of blue, too.