Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: 2008 American Bald Eagle Recovery and National Emblem Commemorative Coin Program, Giant Update

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
December 5, 2007

United States Mint Unveils Designs for 2008 American Bald Eagle Recovery and National Emblem Commemorative Coins

Designs Honor Preservation of the Nation’s Emblem of Freedom and Democracy

WASHINGTON - The United States Mint released today the coin designs for the 2008 American Bald Eagle Recovery and National Emblem Commemorative Coin Program. Public Law 108-486, the American Bald Eagle Recovery and National Emblem Commemorative Coin Act, authorizes the United States Mint to mint and issue three commemorative coins in honor of the recovery of the Bald Eagle species, the 35th anniversary of the Endangered Species Act of 1973, and the Bald Eagle's importance as a national symbol.

The United States Mint will mint and issue proof and uncirculated versions of the Bald Eagle Coins in a $5 gold coin, a $1 silver coin, and a half-dollar clad coin. The obverse of the $5 gold coin was designed by Artistic Infusion Program (AIP) Master Designer Susan Gamble and sculpted by United States Mint Medallic Sculptor Phebe Hemphill. The design depicts young eaglets perched on a branch in their natural habitat. The coin's reverse, sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Don Everhart, depicts an image of the current Great Seal of the United States as engraved in 1903.

The obverse of the $1 silver coin, designed by AIP Master Designer Joel Iskowitz and sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Don Everhart, depicts a mature eagle soaring majestically through the sky. The coin's reverse, sculpted by United States Mint Medallic Sculptor Jim Licaretz, is based on a replica of the first Great Seal of the United States used between 1782 and 1841.

The obverse of the half-dollar clad coin, designed by Susan Gamble and executed by United States Mint Medallic Sculptor Joseph Menna, depicts baby eaglets at about two to three days old, settled in a nest with an unhatched egg. AIP Associate Designer Donna Weaver designed the coin's obverse, which features the legendary Bald Eagle "Challenger" with the American flag in the background. The design was executed by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Charles Vickers.

Mintage across each product option is limited to 100,000 for the $5 gold coin, 500,000 for the $1 silver coin and 750,000 for the clad half-dollar. Surcharges collected from 2008 American Bald Eagle Commemorative Coin Program sales, expected to begin on January 15, 2008, are authorized to be paid to the American Eagle Foundation of Tennessee to continue its works.

The Bald Eagle, unique to North America, was designated America's national emblem by the Founding Fathers on June 20, 1782, at the Second Continental Congress. Once threatened with possible extinction in the lower 48 states, the Bald Eagle was classified as an endangered species under the Endangered Species Act of 1973. Because of the success of numerous concerted recovery efforts, the Bald Eagle was removed from the Endangered Species List in 2007.

Mint Link

Bald Eagle $5 Gold Coin

Year: 2008
Mintage (max.): 100,000
Public Law: 108-486

Bald Eagle Silver Dollar

Mintage (max.): 500,000

Bald Eagle Half-dollar

Mintage (max.): 750,000

Comments

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question - just learned about these. I will wait until I see real images of the coins. If the detail/strike is good, I'll consider. The sketches look like they are trying to do too much. Blobish details will be a pass, but I like eagles.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    No silver eagle collection will be complete without this Mint offering! Very nicely done! image
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    If the poll doesn't specify your Bald Eagle interests, please elaborate with a quick post!!!

ex. 2 or 3 of the Proofs

ex. 2 or 3 of the Uncs.

some other combo??
  • Options
    1 of everythingimage
  • Options
  • Options
    'One of each' kicking ass!
  • Options
    All of them.....except for the gold, can't afford it. Still need to buy crap the rest of the year.
    Sure, we want to go home. We want this war over with. The quickest way to get it over with is to go get the bastards who started it. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we can go home. - General George S. Patton
  • Options
    One of each please!
  • Options
    2 of each .50 and $1
    2 $5 pieces
    Uncirculated only.
    Audentes fortuna juvat
  • Options
    The Silver Dollar rocks!
  • Options
    probably will get 10 each of proof and unc $1. will wait and see though once the products hit usmint.com
    WE ARE.....PENN STATE....
    Class of 1999
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    This is a subject I actually care about. I will probably buy one of each. I am dumping most of my other commems but this one looks like a keeper. I will also look at the planets and hopefully call it quits on commems.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking for Gold / Sliver don't like clad much would be nice if they used Silver on them.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    yeah, the planets are gonna be pretty cool - but expensive considering there will be 9 silver $1 coins and a 1oz gold coin - all proof.
    WE ARE.....PENN STATE....
    Class of 1999
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The silver dollar eagle for me... It is just a nice coin... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>No silver eagle collection will be complete without this Mint offering! Very nicely done! image >>

Will the silver dollar also spot up like the ASE's?
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No silver eagle collection will be complete without this Mint offering! Very nicely done! image >>

Will the silver dollar also spot up like the ASE's? >>

No, because it will contain 10% copper.

The commemoratives do not seem to acquire milk spots like the ASE's!!!
  • Options
    I'll pick up an MS-69 and PR-69 later off ebay.

edited to add: The $1 coins

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    Has anyone found actual true photos of these products - on the mint website yet? I don't even see that they have it in the list of the upcoming products for 2008 - Why are they so SLOW? Sale starts in only 4-5 days - or am I just missing it. (probably?)
  • Options

<< <i>Has anyone found actual true photos of these products - on the mint website yet? I don't even see that they have it in the list of the upcoming products for 2008 - Why are they so SLOW? Sale starts in only 4-5 days - or am I just missing it. (probably?) >>

That's your United States Mint in action....government sales don't need no stinking pictures!! image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Has anyone found actual true photos of these products - on the mint website yet? I don't even see that they have it in the list of the upcoming products for 2008 - Why are they so SLOW? Sale starts in only 4-5 days - or am I just missing it. (probably?) >>

That's your United States Mint in action....government sales don't need no stinking pictures!! image >>

Good thing they don't sell on e-bay yet. image
  • Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    now that we have real pics...

...some more voting please
  • Options

<< <i>now that we have real pics...

...some more voting please >>

imageimage

Link
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>now that we have real pics...

...some more voting please >>

imageimage

Link >>

Earlier Thread
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

So here's the clad half dollar photos...barf. The reverse with Challenger the eagle looks particularly goofy. If I might reiterate my previous comments about the half dollar design (my comments in double quotation marks):

"Anyone with knowledge of the breeding biology of Bald Eagles will wince when they see the image of the obverse on the (clad!) half dollar. It depicts two fuzzy little chicks in a nest with an egg in the foreground. Nice to think about the smaller chick (or chicks) being pecked to death by its broodmates and pushed out of the nest. Usually the third chick just flat out starves."

<< <i>Birds of North America Online:

Hatching asynchrony and differential growth leads to differential mass in siblings, facilitating competition and fratricide (Bortolotti 1986a). Sibling competition and mortality is greatest early in nestling period, when size differences are greatest (Bortolotti 1986a). Third-hatched chicks in Saskatchewan nests received little food and usually starved. In 1 nest, mass of 9-d-old, 8-d-old, and 6-d-old siblings were 477, 260, and 80 g, respectively (Gerrard and Bortolotti 1988). >>

"Also, the presence of these poor chicks, alone in the nest, is alarming. Where's the mother bird? They're incapable of thermoregulating at this age, so if Mom's away, they'll likely die of exposure soon. She's normally on the nest nearly constantly for the first month."

<< <i>Birds of North America Online:
    Adult (usually female) broods constantly during inclement and otherwise cool weather until about 4 wk of age (Stalmaster 1987, Gerrard and Bortolotti 1988). In Minnesota, during 4 d of observation, young were brooded, on average, 85% of daylight period during first week after hatching, with female brooding 65% of time and male 35% of the time (Fraser 1981). >>

Here are the dollars (uncirculated and proof). At $40 for the proof dollar, I'll probably be passing. The chicken-eagle on the reverse looks really bad next to the more life-like eagle on the obverse.

Finally the gold...The reverse looks like the recycled it off of the Kennedy half dollar. These photos don't show the coin especially well, but they don't look particularly nice to me.

Bottom line for me (a birder) - these coins aren't going to make it into my collection unless the photos from you guys of the coins in-hand look substantially better. Two talons down. There are too many other more attractive coins that I'd rather spend my money on.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I really like the Silver Dollar Coins.....

I like the old time reverse on these coins, but it is the obverse which I think shines.....

I will purchase the two dollar coins at least and potentially the halves.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options

<< <i>I really like the Silver Dollar Coins.....

I like the old time reverse on these coins, but it is the obverse which I think shines.....

I will purchase the two dollar coins at least and potentially the halves..... >>

Ditto, I am in for 2 Dollar proofs...I might wait on the halves.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

I think the clad and the gold will look cool. The silver doesn't impress me at this time.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
  • Options
    Time for another round of votes and hopefully more comments.

I think I am buying the 3 proof set for sure!

Anyone else????
  • Options
    I'll pass on all of these!
  • Options
    I am buying the three coin proof set, and an individual gold uncirculated. Plan to use the free grade for the uncirculated, but will keep the three coin set ungraded. I also might buy 10 silver dollars to flip.
  • Options
    all these coins will be a real hit, " 2008 coin of the year " i plan on buying the limit on the silver.
  • Options
    Love the Bald Eagle in flight. Will be ordering the proof.
  • Options

I hope these updated Mint pics help in your buying decisions tomorrow!!!!!!!!

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a lock for the unc dollar, and the 3 piece proof set.image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Sorry, I left the 3 coin proof set out of the poll till now.

If you haven't voted, please do so.

If you are buying the 3 coin proof set, please comment!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry, I left the 3 coin proof set out of the poll till now.

If you are buying the 3 coin proof set, please comment!!! >>

If I got this wrong let me know, however, the 3 coin set does not have a pre order price like the dollar or half, OR is it that they give you the preorder price in the set?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sorry, I left the 3 coin proof set out of the poll till now.

If you are buying the 3 coin proof set, please comment!!! >>

If I got this wrong let me know, however, the 3 coin set does not have a pre order price like the dollar or half, OR is it that they give you the preorder price in the set? >>

You are correct...no pre-order price on the set.

You're paying for the 25k limited edition.
  • Options
    Hey look Dan Carr..an eagle with talonsimage
  • Options
    What's the premium on the 3-piece set?

Also is that 1/4 of gold in the $5 gold proof?
  • Options
    DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭
    The obverse domestic nest themes of the $5 and $.50 are too artsy, tranquil and twiggy.

I like my American Eagles to look more intimidating and fierce. Hunting with talons extended is what I envisioned, or snatching a fish from glassy surfaced lake…. not twiggy nest scenes… the egg & chicks is awful… the adults on branch not much better... ...too busy

I’ll get some Dollars even though I voted “No Bald Eagles for me” and find the featherless naked legged eagle reverse disturbing. Got Mange?

The Dollar obverse with the $5 reverse I would’ve liked.

The reverse of the half would have made a nice obverse.
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    Which coin will be the sleeper????? image
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Which coin will be the sleeper????? image >>

My bet is the $5 UNC since it's not in the 3 piece set.
  • Options
    My bet is the $5 UNC since it's not in the 3 piece set.

I think alot of the $5 UNC will get "gone" pretty quick with the 100 pc limit.............T.V. guys/ Flippers......

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    I'm taken by the dramatic obverse of the $1. The classic reverse looks very interesting too, but because they're such different representations together the coin seems a bit strange on the whole. I'm probably in for 5 and 5.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    rex55rex55 Posts: 39 ✭✭
    i will be ordering the silver proof dollar.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file