Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1911 Half Eagle. Real or not? Results are in

There has been some debate as to whether this half eagle is real or a older copy in the past. I am getting ready to do a submission and figured I'd toss this in. What do you think it will come back as?

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

Comments

• Options
    Have you weighed it?
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    my vote, real.
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    Has a real look to me, but the small marks on the obv. field look weird. is that just the pics?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks real... not my usual venue. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geniune... AU 55...
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Genuine
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That "pointless" star to the right of the date tells me it's not real.....maybe?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    If it is real (I really have no idea), then it is a solid 55, but unfortunately no sticker. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That "pointless" star to the right of the date tells me it's not real.....maybe? >>

I've never seen a real one with this feature.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's that blob of metal between the "Y" in Liberty and the star? And then what appear to be raised material just to the left of the right obverse stars?

Unusual blobs and spikes projecting out from details on the coin would be of concern. So also would be tooling marks (raised) left by the die preparer. The complete absence of die cracks and finely detailed die polish lines would also be a cause for concern. Those are something the counterfeiter rarely can transfer over.

The details look fairly sharp. Check the edge as well for anything that might look unusual.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>What's that blob of metal between the "Y" in Liberty and the star? And then what appear to be raised material just to the left of the right obverse stars? >>

Hard to tell from the pics. Could be a die chip.

• Options

<< <i>That "pointless" star to the right of the date tells me it's not real.....maybe? bobimage >>

The pristine example at coinfacts.com (link from PCGS price guide) has a pointless star:

My guess, genuine.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks genuine to me from the pics, I can tsee any tooling marks in the key areas or lumbs of metal and a few other diagnostics, however THIS IS FROM VIEWING A PIC ON LINE. bUT MY HUNCH SAYS ITS OKAY!!

jIM
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That "pointless" star to the right of the date tells me it's not real.....maybe? bobimage >>

The pristine example at coinfacts.com (link from PCGS price guide) has a pointless star: >>

That coin looks like it's in a deep recessed holder (NGC?) which is blocking the view of the edge of this coin. Notice the shadow.

• Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    In my first post there was some debate as to whether it was real or not. My Jennings gram scale said it weighed .11 grams outside of the normal weight for this coin. I was a bit concerned that it might be fake. Sent in to PCGS for the quarterly special and it came back as AU55. Very happy with those results. Linky
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. You now have more value add to this coin since it was authenticated and now guaranteed. image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations.... looked real to me, I compared it to mine.... I like them, but not an expert. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file