SM
    ANA - J-3139215
    SPMC - J-12338
    McDCCC - Charter Member

Announcing: The Numismatic Enquirer - Website
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    "This coin commemorates one of America's foremost motorcycle stuntmen..."

A "triple struck" coin issued in 1974 & sold at the SNAKE RIVER CANYON jump.
  • Options
    Sorry you forgot to add post a coin for whatever reason.image
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe in his will he directs that his body be strapped to a motor cycle for a repeat attempt to jump the Snake River Canyonimage

He was a great entertainer with his daring motorcycle stunts.
  • Options
    Going to miss the legend,he added a lot of excitement to the '70s.
    Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear, his son will carry on the tredition.image
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    An American Legend has died. Quite amazing to see what he would do for a performance.

He will be forever missed. To me he holds an equivalnce to the King of Rock and roll, Mr Elvis Presely
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A true pop culture icon. RIP.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    I grew up watching him and remember the Snake River Canyon jump. There are a couple of movies about his life out and they are reall amazing. Another amazing man still alive is Gen. Chuck Yeager. If you ever get a chance to read about him it is truly amazing. True hereos.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    A pop icon he was, as someone noted. Did he ever ride his motorcycle over a coin though?
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Never saw the Ceasar's jump live, and could never watch the whole 'crash'! image
    Can't believe he survived.
    Did watch the Snake River 'jump'. image
    AHH, memories.
  • Options
    Actually, not off topic. He collected coins Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    musta used up his ninth lifeimage
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    And not long after Mr. Whipple too! I still cannot bring myself to squeeze the Charmin though in his absence.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    i heard he slipped in the bathtub....ok, so that was a bad joke image
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rode scooters right until the end.

RIP Evil...

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    The Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle was quite possibly THE best toy of all time!
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I grew up watching him and remember the Snake River Canyon jump. There are a couple of movies about his life out and they are reall amazing. Another amazing man still alive is Gen. Chuck Yeager. If you ever get a chance to read about him it is truly amazing. True hereos. >>

Not to detract from evil, but Oct. 14 is a Holiday in my home. (Go Chuck)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was a great showman... I often wondered how he felt right before one of his major jumps... He must have had enough adrenaline pumping through him to keep him awake for days. RIP Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He should be bronzed or mummified since he's earned the right to never have another broken bone.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Evel was awesome and truly a product of his times- as a kid I had the coolest T-Shirt with an Evel "iron-on" on the front. We used to jump ramps on our bikes and do the standard Evel Knievel running commentary.... very sorry to hear he's gone, and interesting to hear he was a coin collector.image
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Jeez. Good child of the '70s that I was, we had almost all the EK toys. We had the motorcycle where you cranked up the stand before releasing the energy of the bike -- almost like Screamin' Demons or the SSP but with a different energy source. I remember buying the Snake River Canyon jumper, too, though there wasn't much to jump except the missing grate on the storm drain at the nearby schoolyard. Could Evel jump the 16 inches needed to clear it or would he fall into the pit?

I remember that bike being almost indestructable. Being boys, we put that thing through some real stress tests. Let's jam Knievel into the wall! Let's release him from a platform three feet high!

As far as pretending to be him, I remember when my brother Mike went down into a storm drain on the schoolyard blacktop and waited for me to jump the hole vacated by the grate we removed. Jeez, this was probably around 1977 or so. Equipped with my BMX bicycle, I tried it. I'd actually done it several times before. He wanted to see the view from below, at least that's what he said. Well, I pedaled and pedaled and got a good head of steam going, but just as I was jumping over the hole, Mike threw up a crappy old coat he found down there. Right as I was going over it! It freaked me out and I lost control of the bike. I flew over the top of it and "munched," as we called it, and the screw on the gooseneck ripped a nice gash into the skin in my chest above the breastbone. I can't believe to this day that it didn't leave a scar.

Damn. Evel Knievel was part of my Wide World of Sports childhood along with Muhammad Ali fights back when championship boxing was on free TV. Another piece of my childhood passes on.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle was quite possibly THE best toy of all time! >>

...and the Six Million Dollar Man doll. R.I.P., Evel- thanks for one of the fun parts of my childhood!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Definitely a noteworthy passing.
    Can't say I'm as big a fan as others. As big a daredevil as he was, he was far less than heroic as a person and really a poor role model on a deeper level. I most remember two things about him--how much he was impressed with himself, and when he and Richard Pryor both appeared on the Tonight Show together. You can guess who came out on top in that interaction. I don't think I've ever laughed harder.
    I'm much more impressed with his son Robbie, but there's no doubt Evel's carved out an idelable place for himself in history.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Definitely a noteworthy passing.
    Can't say I'm as big a fan as others. As big a daredevil as he was, he was far less than heroic as a person and really a poor role model on a deeper level. I most remember two things about him--how much he was impressed with himself, and when he and Richard Pryor both appeared on the Tonight Show together. You can guess who came out on top in that interaction. I don't think I've ever laughed harder.
    I'm much more impressed with his son Robbie, but there's no doubt Evel's carved out an idelable place for himself in history. >>

I think you're confusing the degree to which someone was simply a childhood icon with the degree to which someone was a hero to be emulated.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Ha! I'm sure I am!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    I spent a day with Knievel in Las Vegas and got to know him pretty well after that. We talked on the phone fairly often for a spell. He was one of a kind, no doubt about it.
    Here's the piece I wrote with him in Golf Digest, if you're interested. The stories he tells are fantastic. I have several hours of mp3 files of my interviewing him.

Evel Knievel
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I spent a day with Knievel in Las Vegas and got to know him pretty well after that. We talked on the phone fairly often for a spell. He was one of a kind, no doubt about it.
    Here's the piece I wrote with him in Golf Digest, if you're interested. The stories he tells are fantastic. I have several hours of mp3 files of my interviewing him.

Evel Knievel >>

Evel was in a class by himself. Great article.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Another amazing man still alive is Gen. Chuck Yeager. If you ever get a chance to read about him it is truly amazing. >>

With all due respect, there is apparently an awful lot you don't know about Yeager. He is/was a pariah among his peers and he's far from any hero. Sorry, I used to think similar things till I learned better. The man has taken credit for the actual deeds of others most of his life. There was a reason he wasn't one of the first 7 astronauts and was refused to ever be considered by NASA. Sorry, I'm betting most of the stuff you have seen or read about Yeager was missing most of the facts if not a complete fabrication. He's not the actual holder of nearly all the records he claims.

The joke used to be that his ego was way too big to ever fit into a space capsule and besides, there wasn't any way to line the craft with all the mirrors Yeager would have demanded.

On topic..... I was lying in traction in a hospital bed when I watched the Snake River Canyon jump attempt. Yes, I was there due to piloting an airborne motorcycle. The nurses had more than a bit of fun with me that over that.

Evel was really one of a kind, a true living legend. He had the showmanship down to a science. I'll always remember the jump over the fountains at Las Vegas. That was amazing!
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle was quite possibly THE best toy of all time! >>

...and the Six Million Dollar Man doll. R.I.P., Evel- thanks for one of the fun parts of my childhood! >>

I have both of those items downstairs....image

I like this part of your interview best Guy....

I learned one thing from jumping motorcycles that was of great value on the golf course, the putting green especially: Whatever you do, don't come up short.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file