Home U.S. Coin Forum

I heard a rumor the goverment can confiscate gold coins under the patriot act

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01jan20051800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2005/pdf/05-11431.pdf

I don't know if there is any truth to this all be is it possible gold can be confiscated under the patriot act as a means to back the dollar?

I heard it is any coin not worth double the bullion value. Does anyone know more about this?
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• Oh yeah, shirley it's true, it's on the intranet, right? What's that link to, a Ron Paul site or something?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• << <i>Oh yeah, shirley it's true, it's on the intranet, right? What's that link to, a Ron Paul site or something? >>

Hooked on phonics?

• << <i>Oh yeah, shirley it's true, it's on the intranet, right? What's that link to, a Ron Paul site or something? >>

nope guess again....
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Oh no-- it's THEM at work again (you know, the people behind the Moon Landing Conspiracy).
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Hooked on intranet pron.

Hey, anyone ever do those Evelyn Woods speed reading courses? Dating myself, I know. But I'm a cheap date. Look Boss, de rail!

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it is a real site or not, I don't think it has anything to do with Ron Paul

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    The government can do whatever it wants to do virtually whenever it wants to do it and the sheep will do nothing. Many will even cheer, that's how ignorant they've become.
  • Life has certainly changed around here since the patriot act was passed.

• It would be just one more act I'd disobey from the almighty gov't.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Yes, they can confiscate gold just like cash but only if you violate the patriot act. Anyone selling items valued over $10k or a bundle of items valued over $10k to one individual needs to know the requirements of the patriot act to ensure they stay out of prison. --Jerry

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

And they can read your brainwaves too....they know what you are thinking!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Losing our freedoms, one at a time.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's true, I'm glad I don't own any gold coins.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Changed? Aw, come on.

You mean like the college in NJ that just made GPS cell phones "mandatory" so they can "keep track" of the students.

Nothing's changed.
    Have a nice day

• << <i>Losing our freedoms, one at a time. >>

Yes, list the ones you've lost.

<< <i>Losing our freedoms, one at a time. >>

If you consider money laundering a freedom.
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ is right - the Tin Foil Hat Society is at it again! Run for the hills!

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• They made it illegal to possess gold not long ago, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that they can do it again. As to how they are going to confiscate it is up for debate though-- Are people gonna just voluntarily give it up? I doubt it.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your reading comprehension is at all acceptable, it is easy to see this is aimed at money laundering.. the details are clear. Put your tin hat away. Cheers, RickO
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    This may sound bad to say but $10,000 is not really very much money today, I nice family vacation for 4 for a week on NCL is $10,000 today

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If your reading comprehension is at all acceptable, it is easy to see this is aimed at money laundering.. the details are clear. Put your tin hat away. Cheers, RickO >>

Interesting that when they can't get you on anything else they usually can get you on Mail Fraud. What was the aim of that law?
  • and you don't have to call him Shirley.

• "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

Some of the provisions of the Patriot Act were scheduled to sunset afte 4 years, but these were all part of the original act. Interesting that a variety of different Liberal AND conservative groups and now the majority of the general public have finally seen the light.

Government may monitor religious and political institutions without suspecting criminal activity to assist terror investigations.

* Government has closed once-public immigration hearings, has secretly detained hundreds of people without charges, and has encouraged bureaucrats to resist public records questions.

* Government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they tell anyone that the government subpoenaed information related to a terror investigation.

* Government may monitor federal prison jailhouse conversations between attorneys and clients, and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.

* Government may search and seize Americans' papers and effects without probable cause to assist terror investigation.

* Government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.

* Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them.
  • BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Anyone that believes that it's OK to have a law sitting on the books because the government would never use it against you anyway is kidding him/herself and anyone else who's dumb enough to listen. You may laugh about it now feeling that the leaders your political party of choice would never use the law against someone like YOU, but when the next group gets in it may not be so cut and dried...especially if you've been writing bad things about the new group in emails that might be misconstrued as a threat when they're intercepted, kicked out of the group, and read by someone working in a cement block room that's paid to find the people that are against the "government".
    "Have a nice day!"
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    NICE pic...is that Alan Colmbs in the foil hat? Wheres the koolaide !!!!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Please be careful out there guys when you make funnies of our trusty government. They as we have been told over the vast majority of our lives is the best government in the world- and you can take that to the bank. (just make sure when you take it to the bank it is under $5,000.00) and you may just want to thank your lucky stars that you don't live in a country like, like New Zealand, where the average day for a NZ'r is like living back in the 50's. Some of you might remember the 50's- crime and drugs and cell phones/computers really did not exist as it does today.

I'm afraid of this government folks, it has a taste and that ringing in my ear that keeps telling me- you are in the USSR- don't you know how lucky you are boy- BACK in the USSR....

The government can do anything anytime in any way they want- WE have lost your rights.

• ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    BobbaFett72, you missed my Bonds auction: 110194649028
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

have you been on wikipedia again? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh yeah, shirley it's true, it's on the intranet, right? What's that link to, a Ron Paul site or something? >>

It is true and stop calling me Shirley. image
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

<< <i>Anyone that believes that it's OK to have a law sitting on the books because the government would never use it against you anyway is kidding him/herself and anyone else who's dumb enough to listen. You may laugh about it now feeling that the leaders your political party of choice would never use the law against someone like YOU, but when the next group gets in it may not be so cut and dried...especially if you've been writing bad things about the new group in emails that might be misconstrued as a threat when they're intercepted, kicked out of the group, and read by someone working in a cement block room that's paid to find the people that are against the "government". >>

The portion of the patriot act that deals with gold is not hard to follow unless you're laundering money or avoiding taxes. Follow the law and don't worry about it. Sellers are the ones who need to be aware of it because if they unwittingly become a party in a money laundering scheme if they take cash for large purchases. --jerry
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For fear of turning this thread into the open forum. I would like to relate a little story.

Circa 1972-3 or so.....I was playing sports and studying chemistry at Cal...I was honored with Draft Lottery #330 so Vietnam was not in question .....I was probably the most "liberal" person in my high school a few years earlier and the most conservative person at Cal 2 years later.

Anyway, while living on campus , I would go home to Los Gatos once or twice a month and spend the day with my parents. My father was in the service in WWII and a businessman in San Jose and a conservative Democratic. I didn't have a political affiliation. We were discussing politics as usual and I made a couple of off the cuff statements about how I thought this country was being run. You'd have to experience Nixonian paranoia in the White House at the time to appreciate the early 70's. WELL....I was banished from the house for a year for the comments.

Fast forward...many years and my dad retired early and moved north and became a sheriff. 15 years after I was banished .......he related to me that he had thought about my remarks from time to time and made a comment along the lines that "something needed to be done in the country because things were out of control." "the only people who can do it are people who are squeaky clean and older and have no fear of losing everything."

We currently have lost control of this country ONE GAS TANK AT A TIME since 1973.

You ain't seen anything yet.
    Have a nice day
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OUCH !!! Not good for those with large gold collections...

<< <i>Sellers are the ones who need to be aware of it because if they unwittingly become a party in a money laundering scheme if they take cash for large purchases. >>

Someone wanted proof of a right that you've lost...there you have it. Isn't cash still legal tender? There is a limit to how much cash that you can have...I believe that it's $10,000. Why can't you put cash in a fruit jar and bury it in the backyard, then pay for your new car with cash when you save up? Why all this worry about the average guy having a few thousand dollars that's untraceable by the government when they give billions to war contactors and can't find where it went? The government would like you tracked and manipulated at all times (especially if you make believe that it's not happening)...why do you think that all cars must now have a gps system ala Onstar? Why does your cell phone have a GPS chip in it? Why do they type in your drivers license number at the convenience store when you buy a pack of cigs or a six-pack, even though you have grey hair and wrinkles and are plainly of legal age. Very strange indeed. It's all for our safety. image
    "Have a nice day!"
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Somma you brothers have convinced me. I'm movin' to the last worker's paradise on earth, North Korea. Don't have no worries there.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going back to the original question, I don't believe that this specific anti-terrorism action would be used by the government to confiscate gold on a widespead basis.

<< <i>Somma you brothers have convinced me. I'm movin' to the last worker's paradise on earth, North Korea. Don't have no worries there. >>

Why bother moving your stuff...wait a few years and you can have the same benefits right where you are.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This may sound bad to say but $10,000 is not really very much money today, I nice family vacation for 4 for a week on NCL is $10,000 today >>

Not necessarily. I took my family of 5 on a 12 night NCL Baltic Capital cruise this summer. We had two cabins (Category FF). For the cruise itself plus cancellation insurance we paid $4,500. We avoided all the over priced ship tours, and only hired a private tour company for two days and a night in St Petersburg. We had no overpriced drinks. We used public transportation in Germany, Helsinki, Stockholm and Coppenhagen, and walked in Estonia. We drove to Dover, and parked on the cruise terminal pier. All told, we spent $7,600 or $1520 per person.

Too bad I can't find another nice cruise at this price! We had a great time.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This may sound bad to say but $10,000 is not really very much money today, I nice family vacation for 4 for a week on NCL is $10,000 today >>

Not necessarily. I took my family of 5 on a 12 night NCL Baltic Capital cruise this summer. We had two cabins (Category FF). For the cruise itself plus cancellation insurance we paid $4,500. We avoided all the over priced ship tours, and only hired a private tour company for two days and a night in St Petersburg. We had no overpriced drinks. We used public transportation in Germany, Helsinki, Stockholm and Coppenhagen, and walked in Estonia. We drove to Dover, and parked on the cruise terminal pier. All told, we spent $7,600 or $1520 per person.

Too bad I can't find another nice cruise at this price! We had a great time. >>

Yeah, but you live in Belgium.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is a limit to how much cash that you can have...I believe that it's $10,000. >>

Man, the BS is neck high around here. image

Russ, NCNE
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Yes, where bright shiney new euro coins now costs me $1.486

A lunch out for the family runs $75--a simple lunch like pizza and water (tap water at that 2 euro for a half liter, but it was potable and only 2 of 5 family members were sickened by it!)

Dinner for the family is an easy $200, thus we don't go out to dinner.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

<< <i>

<< <i>Sellers are the ones who need to be aware of it because if they unwittingly become a party in a money laundering scheme if they take cash for large purchases. >>

Someone wanted proof of a right that you've lost...there you have it. Isn't cash still legal tender? image >>

You can still take cash, you just have to follow the law. What is so hard about that?
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    They can pick me up, take me to Gitmo, torture me, I don't get a lawyer, anything I say will be used against me in a military tribunal.

Hmmm, the Govt taking my gold seems kind of tirvial.

• "torcher me"image

That's what we used to call lighting a fart, a torcher, as in "dude, don't torcher me!"

• << <i>http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01jan20051800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2005/pdf/05-11431.pdf

I don't know if there is any truth to this all be is it possible gold can be confiscated under the patriot act as a means to back the dollar?

I heard it is any coin not worth double the bullion value. Does anyone know more about this? >>

The same site states that the patriot act was created to take away our rights.

You can view this at http://www.Iamaparanoiddillusional.helpme.com

• << <i>I heard a rumor the goverment can confiscate gold coins under the patriot act >>

OK......Now let me get this straight....!!!....The Gov can confiscate all my gold under the Patriot Act if it doesn't add up to $10,000 . And if does I'm goin to jail......!!!!.........image
    ......Larry........image
  • mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    oh gawd!....

i clicked on http://www.Iamaparanoiddillusional.helpme.com ....and nothing happened!...what now?..........[nail biting emoticon goes here.]

<< <i>

<< <i>I heard a rumor the goverment can confiscate gold coins under the patriot act >>

OK......Now let me get this straight....!!!....The Gov can confiscate all my gold under the Patriot Act if it doesn't add up to $10,000 . And if does I'm goin to jail......!!!!.........image >>

No, that's not even close to right.
  • Man, the BS is neck high around here.

LOL for sure.
  • *Walks up to hornets nest and gives a vigorous shake*
    And I heard parts of the patriot act authorizes the creation of a new currency called the Amero.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file