Home U.S. Coin Forum

stunning buffalo

not mine but if i had the $$$$ what do you all think of it?sweet buff
everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Comments

• coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    NICE coin! I think that could go 66....or even 67.....although I'm suspicious about that toning....
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, although I wish it were not discolored. Certainly a 65... Maaaayyybe a 66 at best. Needs to be dipped. Cheers, RickO
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Not me brothers, 'ol curly don't put out c-notes for coins without plastic around them.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had soooo many buffs in my collecting career that I can't count them. I've never had one turn colors
    like this. It's absolutely magnificant! However, I'm a doubter that it is natural. Silver has turned on me
    into some vivid colors but never a buff. Nickel just looks like nickel and gets gray and dark gray in my
    part of the country (Las Vegas).
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope nope nope
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • I have had a 1913 turn that color (while in a 2x2 with 4 staples, I can't quite explain that...). Interesting ebay store he has there, some PCGS & NGC. Good feedback for being there since March, 1999.
  • Nope, the color may not be all that off, but I doubt it will grade a 65. My guess it was broken out of a 63-64 holder and remarketed trying to make a hundred bucks.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    what is the strange mark/disturbance on the cheek and lack of toning
    in that area?
  • meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    I thought this would be a thread about how to disable wild animals
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have bought from this seller before and he is a top notch guy.Has a no questions asked return policy.I got this last week and it is gorgeous and looks totally natural.

Trade $'s
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've also bought from the seller before. He does have a return policy. The trouble with the policy was that in order to see any signs of prior cleaning it needed to be taken out of the 2x2 cardboard holder (I didn't read the fine print). Doing this nullified the return policy. Why doesn't he just spring for the $30 and have it certified?

• robec, the coin your received was cleaned?

<< <i>I've also bought from the seller before. He does have a return policy. The trouble with the policy was that in order to see any signs of prior cleaning it needed to be taken out of the 2x2 cardboard holder (I didn't read the fine print). Doing this nullified the return policy. Why doesn't he just spring for the $30 and have it certified?

image >>

Might be because they can't be certified.....????
    According to those who saw it when I posted it ATS, it was dipped, cleaned and/or circulated. Comments by JamesEarlyUS and Mark Feld.

Link

<< <i>
    Might be because they can't be certified.....???? >>

Must be why he has sooooo many. I haven't checked out his site since I made that purchase, but he didn't have many, if any, TPG material.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my initial impression of the coin is that it wasn't MS65 and the toning is a little suspect. Nickel coins do in fact tone with some nice color, generally blue and light red/pink, and i even have a few early Jefferson Proofs with some rainbow tone at the rim like the the linked Buffalo, but my searches have found that to be not very common. my understanding is that the color is from storage in either and envelope or more likely some type of folder/album like a Wayte Raymond.

imageimage
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've purchased a few certified coins from RPHolder, and returned one for refund. No Issues with this seller, smooth like butter!
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Would you mind telling us the reason for the return?
    Hey keets,
    I see very little in common between that absolutely gorgeous Jeff of yours and that poor, once nice Buff in the OP.
  • Looks totally original to me. I've bought from the seller, and never had a coin bodybag. Grades have generally been right on, or off by a point, but that is not unreasonable grading. The coin looks 64 t0 65 to me, with nice color. His return policy is great, and he has bought back coins from me before at a reasonable amount as much as a couple of years later.
    I'm not sure where he gets them, but he has nice buffs generally! He is the only guy I buy raw toned buffs from.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a Toned Merc in a old soap holder MS66FB holder, it was reasonably priced and nice... I have no issues stating that I may just have been a bit overly anal retentive. image

A buddy of mine bought this below off this seller, and a $925.00 pcgs ms67 from Pinnacle.

This was the superior coin.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • That reverse is hammered! Looks like a proof reverse die was used on that planchet. The toning is really close together and not spread out like you would normally see, but I do like it and Nickels do tone in this color pattern , Usually from an album as Keets has said. If you look on the cover of the "Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels" Second Edition by David Lange you will see a Buff almost identical to this one. Look on Anaconda's site and look at all the certified Buffs in his inventory and you will see a few also. I think the problem is that it would'nt grade at 65 and most likely is a 64 with the obverse showing weakness in the cheek and hair areas. Probably from an overused obverse die.
  • WOW, he has a nice 1838 half dime I would love to have.
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    I have one that looks just like this and I can see without a doubt that mine (and probably this one) is 100% NT. Mine is absolutely beautiful. In fact, I think both of my Dansco examples toned this way. That's what a Dansco can do after 13++ years! I hope I get a decent premium (raw) for mine too one day.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see very little in common between that absolutely gorgeous Jeff of yours and that poor, once nice Buff in the OP.

John, my sole purpose for posting the picture was to show that Nickel coins do indeed sometimes tone in circular bands of red/pink and blue along with the more normal gold. i have a 1939 that has perhaps better color but it's in a stripe running primarily across the obverse and not the reverse, almost like something had laid on it for quite awhile. given the fact that this Buffalo is almost 30 years older than the 1942 Proof Jefferson, it's plausible that it spent a longer time in whatever toned it, so the progression is farther along. as my comment indicates, though, i'd be suspicious because tone on Nickels is usually limited to blue and gold with the Silver 1942-1945 Issues being the exception to that rule.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file