Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First Indian Head cent found in change.

morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
Nothing special but it brought a smile to my face after spending $3.12 a gallon for fuel.

First time I've ever received an Indian for change. Gee, wish it was an 1877.

I returned home and said to my girlfriend, "Look what I found", she was on the phone, and could of cared less.

I wonder how many others handled it, and didn't even realize it was an Indian on the obverse.

As far as grade, maybe VF?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Comments

• Options
    Special feeling, huh? That's a good-looking one too!

I found one while working a booth a couple years ago. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Of course, I promptly replaced the cent with one of my own.

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Grade wise I would say a nice XF. I've seen far worse in TPG holders that grade XF40...course you probably won't be grading that one. It's a beauty!!!
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    <<Special feeling, huh?>>

Yes you could say special. I especially like the fact that I payed face for it.
  • Options
    That's pretty cool. image
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    nice find!
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, with the squared off rims and sharp inner edge, I think it may be a circulated proof.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a cool feeling to get one, isn't it? I've only received one in change, too, and it was a VF 1902 that I received around 1995.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    This gets you a "you suck!" award!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    <<It's a cool feeling to get one, isn't it?>>

Yes it is. Collecting is so much fun.
  • Options
    <<This gets you a "you suck!" award! >>

No way this warrants a "You Suck".

If it was a 1877, now that would be worthy of the title.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<This gets you a "you suck!" award! >>

No way this warrants a "You Suck".

If it was a 1877, now that would be worthy of the title. >>

I agree, but I do think that coin started life as a proof.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been looking in rolls of cents for a while, always hoping to find a IHC, but always happy with any wheat cents. Congrats! :-)
    Ankur
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find! That coin looks as if it were just taken from granpas' collection. image
  • Options
    full ribbon!! it actually could go xf!image
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool... As a kid on my paper route, used to get them regularly... but have not seen them in change in many years. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Same situation that got me into collecting. Dad was a collector, but I could care less. He sent me to the store about 27 years ago to buy bread. I received a 1907 Indian in change, I was so excited I forgot the bread at the store after paying. My Dad and I walk back up to get the bread and he asks the cashier if she has any more of these Indian Pennies. She sure does, got 15 more for face value. Been collecting ever since on and off. I still have all of them with my 10 year old writting on the 2x2s.

By the way I just got another one in change last year at the gas station. Second find in 37 years of life a 1901. I still get excited.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the sort of stuff that got me into coin collecting in the first place. In the 1960s, I got an 1898 IHC, a 1910 Lib Nickel, and a 1906 D Barber Dime in change (none in nearly as nice shape as your IHC, though_. Haven't seen any of these type coins in change ever since.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Cool!

I got one of those in change too - about 3 years ago. It was shocking.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some kid got into his father's coin collection.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

looks like a decent vf, too!

K S
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF! give me a break! It's a full XF-45, although cleaned on the obverse. However the reverse fields look a bit buckled. Perhaps it was removed from an encasement, although there is not rim damage such pieces usually have. Certianly not a Proof strike.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder how many others handled it, and didn't even realize it was an Indian on the obverse. >>

Few people really look at pennies except to ensure that they are real and not some foreign coin. I bet this one had been inadvertently returned into circulation after years of being set aside in a drawer or jar.

I have a 1924 Lincoln in 63RB that I had forgotten to put back upon looking at my set of duplicates several months ago. I found it on the table and then stashed it in an eyeglass case to put back in the dupe album later. Well, I'm still waiting for later, the coin is still in the eyeglass case, but this is the sort of scenario where a coin of numismatic value can be released back into circulation without someone knowingly raiding a collection.

Oh yeah, yours looks like a solid xf.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Definitely a solid EF-40 if not 45. I never get stuff like this in change.
  • Options

<< <i>VF! give me a break! It's a full XF-45, although cleaned on the obverse. However the reverse fields look a bit buckled. Perhaps it was removed from an encasement, although there is not rim damage such pieces usually have. Certianly not a Proof strike. >>

I agree... ex-jewelry. On the obverse picture I can see two spots of rim damage.

Bob
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like someone went broke. They removed it from a "Keep me and never go broke" encasement!

Another indication - see if it is slightly smaller diameter than other Indian Cents. Encased cents usually are squshed slightly by the encasment process.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input, guess my vf grade was off. I like the EF.

So for 1 cent I received an $8 -10 dollar coin, at least according the the PCGS price guide.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's crazy. A 101-year-old coin circulating.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's crazy. A 101-year-old coin circulating. >>

Some kid probably stole it from his father's coin collection.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file