Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

UNOPENED SCAM ALERT--MAJOR RESEALING

Hello!

I am letting everyone know about an unopened scam we just accidently ran into. It has nothing to do with PSA.

One of our great customers shipped me 100 packs of 1979/80 Topps hockey to sell us. The packs were extrememly clean, but poorly homemade. The great customer of ours told me where he bought them. Doing some research, I found that we had sold this scammer a roll of 79/80 Topps hockey wrappers. His ebay ID's then showed he bought numerous lots of 79/80 Topps hockey. He also has purchased many wrappers from other issues. I'm afraid he might have sold members of this forum, so-called unopened packs off of ebay.

I don't want to publicly state the scammers name/location/ebay id's yet. However, I'm sure you guys can see from my past sales who I sold a roll of 60 1979/80 Topps hockey wrappers too(and then go from there).

If anyone feels they may have been taken by this, we are willing to help out with any action that may be taken.

Thanks, Steve Hart

Comments

• Options
    Oh boy.
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    :ugh:

Thanks for the heads up though.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    You gotta love unopened material and autographs.
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up. Appretiated. I posted it here and there as well.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    i think the whole unopened wax packs thing is a sham....havent people been burned enough?

i think this message board should boycott all unopened material...

as was proven at the national, even unopened stuff does not come out mint, so why take a chance when most probably its been resealed...

just the shear volume of "wrappers" sold should be enough evidence that resealing is rampant.....

very disheartening....
  • Options

<< <i>i think the whole unopened wax packs thing is a sham....havent people been burned enough?

i think this message board should boycott all unopened material...

as was proven at the national, even unopened stuff does not come out mint, so why take a chance when most probably its been resealed...

just the shear volume of "wrappers" sold should be enough evidence that resealing is rampant.....

very disheartening.... >>

While it's a shame that things like this happen, I think it's a little overboard to say to boycot all unopened material because of it. That's like saying let's boycott all 86 Fleer Michael Jordan rookies, 63 Topps Pete Rose rookies or 85 Topps Mark McGwire, etc just because they have been counterfeited. There is a huge market for unopened material in this hobby - just ask the author of this thread. You can't punish all just for the wrong doing of a few. It's great to have PSA, GAI or experts like Steve to authenticate that stuff so that the ones who choose to educate themselves don't get burned.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is who I found that bought the wrappers and hockey lots. I respect Steve's position, and appreciate the clues, but I have no trouble outing anyone I think is POS. He has changed his eBay ID 4 times, and is now NARU, but here are the 4 ebay IDs he may have sold from starting with the most recent:

dhester2thehouse
    windycityflyer1
    1976waxpacks
    ilovecheaters911
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello!

I am letting everyone know about an unopened scam we just accidently ran into. It has nothing to do with PSA.

One of our great customers shipped me 100 packs of 1979/80 Topps hockey to sell us. The packs were extrememly clean, but poorly homemade. The great customer of ours told me where he bought them. Doing some research, I found that we had sold this scammer a roll of 79/80 Topps hockey wrappers. His ebay ID's then showed he bought numerous lots of 79/80 Topps hockey. He also has purchased many wrappers from other issues. I'm afraid he might have sold members of this forum, so-called unopened packs off of ebay.

I don't want to publicly state the scammers name/location/ebay id's yet. However, I'm sure you guys can see from my past sales who I sold a roll of 60 1979/80 Topps hockey wrappers too(and then go from there).

If anyone feels they may have been taken by this, we are willing to help out with any action that may be taken.

Thanks, Steve Hart >>

Good info Steve - Thanks!

-
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Maybe this is a stupid question but why would anyone selll someone a "roll" of wrappers?
    What would you expect them to be doing with them? Wallpapering a room or creating a bar top display?

I could see 1 or 2 wrappers but 60 of the same wrappers? Geez
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    People suck.
  • Options
    Nick,

Thanks for letting us know. Obviously this is the scammer's buyer account because he has no feedback as a seller. Anyone know his seller id?

wrappers
  • Options

<< <i>I'm afraid he might have sold members of this forum, so-called unopened packs off of ebay. >>

We need whoever from this forum bought 79/80 hockey packs recently to come forward with some info so we all know who to avoid.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Steve

Why would you sell a guy a roll of unopened wrappers? What did you think he was going to do with them?

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>Steve

Why would you sell a guy a roll of unopened wrappers? What did you think he was going to do with them?

Kevin >>

I have lots of these rolls from all different years
    What are you supposed to do with them? Throw them away? Burn them so no one can ever use them?
    I'd like to hear some explanations of what to do with them.
    I keep them because they are a cool items to have and helps you learn more about the card and pack producing process....
  • Options
    its a no win situation for BBCE, but when some clown buys a roll of wrappers my spidey sense would def. be tingling.

I also find the scammers former ebay name ironic: ilovecheaters911
  • Options

<< <i>Steve

Kevin >>

EXACTLY!!! you are basically fueling these scam artists by selling them the goods !!

reminds me of another crook on this board who had the same MO....buy wrappers, buy commons, reseal, sell....

its like selling a convict the gun without the ammo, and then say "its not my fault he shot someone, i didnt sell him the bullets!"

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    relax Fandago...

what if Steve sold him 2 boxes of product...he opened and searched and then resealed. Still Steve's problem?

Of course not. Know who you are buying from and unopened is KING--always will be...

As always--thanks Steve--I appreciate the heads up...most dealers would not care.
  • Options
    but thats not the problem, the problem is these dealers selling near worthless wrappers to these scam artists....

if they didnt sell them the wrappers, they wouldnt have the ammo for theor scams! simple!

• Options

<< <i>but thats not the problem, the problem is these dealers selling near worthless wrappers to these scam artists....

if they didnt sell them the wrappers, they wouldnt have the ammo for theor scams! simple! >>

So they throw them (and the $$) in the trash so someone else can sell them the wrappers?
    This has ALWAYS been a part of the hobby
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

<< <i>but thats not the problem, the problem is these dealers selling near worthless wrappers to these scam artists....

if they didnt sell them the wrappers, they wouldnt have the ammo for theor scams! simple! >>

I'll never understand why a normally rational and reasonable person can't understand why, if a crime of fraud is committed that the people who sold the criminal the tools to commit the crime are guilty of anything. Wrappers are a collectable just like cards and it is not for any one person to say they are only for the purpose of committing a crime of fraud by resealing.

The analogy to guns is perfect. Guns are a legal product and sporting arms are used in recreational endeavors daily, but use one in a crime and suddenly Browning/Beretta and the like are sued sixty different ways as if they pulled the trigger.

Face it: Guns don't kill people, criminals do ------ Wrapper salesman don't sell resealed product...criminals do.

I've never bought a thing from Hart nor do I even know him but I think you owe him an apology for suggesting he is in any way responsible.

Mike

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    so if everyone else is doing it , it makes it ok?

if all the "reputable" dealers stopped selling these wrappers, then that would elimiate a big problem

buying wrappers and resealing cards is NOT PART OF THE HOBBY as you suggest...

buying 1 wrapper from 1952 topps, that is part of the hobby, not buying 70 near worthless wrappers....what are they gonna do, make a bar out of all these wrappers?

this is so obvious, i dont see why someone people dont get it!

STOP SELLING WRAPERS IN BULK!!
  • Options
    I have about 40 rolls of wrappers

Should I throw them away because one day they might fall into the wrong hands?
  • Options
    And it IS part of the hobby

Just like fake art masterpieces, counterfeit coins and stamps, repaired comics, forged autographs etc etc

People have to start becoming more educated buyers because it will NEVER go away
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    There is nothing wrong with selling rolls of wrappers. They are worth money; for whatever the reason. Like those accusing Steve of wrong doing would just throw the wrappers away rather than sell them? Please!!! It's like when my Rolex got stolen and I sold the empty Rolex box on Ebay for $200. Though it was a nice box with a leatherette pillow to rest the watch on... I honestly had no clue why someone would pay so much. A friend pointed out it could have been a scammer who would then resell a fake Rolex. Yes, I suppose that's possible but if I had to do it all over again I would sell the thing for $200 again rather than throw it away to protect someone from a possible scam. If you buy a Rolex on Ebay you probably are smart enough to know it might be fake; or you are too dumb and that's your parent's fault. Same with "unopened" baseball cards. BUYER BEWARE! Steve has done nothing wrong here.
  • Options

<< <i>so if everyone else is doing it , it makes it ok?

if all the "reputable" dealers stopped selling these wrappers, then that would elimiate a big problem

buying wrappers and resealing cards is NOT PART OF THE HOBBY as you suggest...

buying 1 wrapper from 1952 topps, that is part of the hobby, not buying 70 near worthless wrappers....what are they gonna do, make a bar out of all these wrappers?

this is so obvious, i dont see why someone people dont get it!

STOP SELLING WRAPERS IN BULK!! >>

If they are near worthless than why are people buying them. Nothing in this world is useless. You see people buying what you may think is stupid worthless crap, but to them may be the highight of their collection...of whatever it may be.

How dare BBCE sell these wrappers, clearly he is only selling them to make money (free enterprise)...the nerve!

Collecting wrappers may not be part of sports card hobby, but it is a part of the COLECTING hobby....notice them name of the site you are on......collectors universe.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Authorized wholesale dealer for BCW, if you need any supplies let me know and I will get you a quote
  • Options
    Not selling wrappers won't solve the problem, a criminal with the desire to rip people off will find a way. We might as well shut down all printing companies with capabilities to produce fake cards so we can eliminate those in the market place, or outlaw sharpies to cut down on the number of forged autos.
  • Options

<< <i>outlaw sharpies >>

Because whenever I make those flippy M's in Mickey and Mantle I seem to get a little ink on my hands. It's very annoying.
  • Options
    They should outlaw wall paper seam rollers too.
    While rolling the backs of the packs after heating them up with a hair dryer, I get blisters on my hands....
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

its like selling a convict the gun without the ammo, and then say "its not my fault he shot someone, i didnt sell him the bullets!" >>

Maybe IF the gun dealer knew the person was a convicted felon and IF Steve knew the buyer was a pack sealer. McDonald's is responsible for all the overweight people in the world. and the guy selling beer behind the counter of 7/11 is suppose to know the buyer is an alcoholic
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    [
    STOP SELLING WRAPERS IN BULK!! >>

isn't a roll of wrappers suppose to be sold in bulk? - it's not really bulk since that is how they come. it's like saying a roll of toilet paper is buying in bulk since you have more than one sheet.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Well, not to sound like a broken record, but anybody that buys uncertified packs from an unproven source is a fool.

Even some GAI packs I have bought are obvious reseals.

What can I say, cheaters are everywhere.
    Capecards
  • Options
    whatever, to each his own....

you just have to see the difference between 1 classic wrapper that sells for hundreds (see memory lane auction) and bulk amounts of modern wrappers...

you are being naive thinking people are buying common wrappers in bulk if you think they are doing it for "collection" purposes....its obvious to me they are buying these things with intent to defraud ....

im not saying all wrappers are worthless or have no place in collecting, there is just a huge difference between the goudey wrappers and more modern wrappers that are available in bulk and cheap!

i know where i wont be spending any of my money, and that is on (resealed) wax
  • Options
    I would take a different approach. Although I don't think Steve did anything wrong selling these wrappers and has every right to sell them, I think he should consider a self imposed moratorium on selling wrappers. I can't imagine his wrapper sales account for even a fraction of a percent of his revenue but clearly, selling them has the potential to indirectly hurt his business more than help it by souring people on buying unopened wax. What should he do with them? Sell them to reputable collectors (whom he knows and this is not a short list), not resellers, or keep them for his own personal collection.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    guns kill people
    pencils mis spel words (my keyboard misspells werds for me)
    cars make people drive drunk
    spoons made rosie odonnell fat
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    I have a 1969 topps card set, and i would love to have a rarity like an uncut roll of wrappers to go with it. They are definatly a collectable on their own.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    BBCEBBCE Posts: 111
    I'm sorry. This is all my fault. From now on, I will not handle:

Uncut sheets--because I'm sure some of them end up cut and in BGS holders and re-sold
    Vending boxes--because they can be searched and have cards replaced and re-sold
    1989 Topps boxes--because I see they guy bought those on ebay and used the gum for the older fake packs and re-sold
    Goudeys--becasue they are easily cut down and re-sold
    Cracker Jacks--becasue they can be bleached and re-sold
    US Currency--because it has been counterfieted by many countries
    basically anything of value--Art, Coins, baseball cards, automobiles, stamps, because they all can be altered and re-sold
    Hartland Statues--because they are altered, re-painted, re-pieced and then re-sold
    Display boxes--they can be filled with fake packs and re-sold
    Should I continue?

We should also consider banning:

Checks--as they are forged every minute of every day
    Credit cards--they are stolen and used every second
    Our identites--because they are stolen all day long also

All I did was try to help anyone who thinks they have been scammed. I guess from now on I should just keep this helpful information to myself.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    It amazes me that people always want to shift blame to someone else.

The guy who bought the wrappers, bought the commons, and then resealed them is at fault. Not the seller of the wrappers, the seller of the commons, or even ebay for giving the criminal an avenue to resell. What needs to be done is to prosecute these lowlife pieces of human garbage.

It is just like the people who used to download songs illegally. They didnt have to arrest, prosecute and fine EVERY one of them to slow down the downloads, they only had to do a few. Same here, if ebay and local authorities would take dirtbags like this and prosecute and make these little faceless punks lose their car, house, job, or whatever they hold dear and publicize it like the RIAA did with the illegal downloading, the scams would slowly decline in number. It wont get rid of them completely, but it will diminish the number so that the fake auctions wont just blend in like they do now. I mean, honestly, wouldnt you love to see some 20 year old punk do 3 years for trying to pull a scam...I would!!

Plus, lay off the guys who try and make a living selling legitimate collectibles. Its not their fault that the scum does the scam.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Steve, please don't let a few cynics keep you from posting valuable information. Thanks for taking the time to share, and please keep up the good work.

Robert
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Steve-
    99% of us sincerely THANK YOU! A few people are just trying to stir the pot here so I would ignore them. Thank you for running the most ethical baseball card store I know of and thank you for your warning in this particular situation!
  • Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    I want to say thanx to Steve as well for bringing this to the boards attention.
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    I cant afford any boxes from BBCE so its their fault Im gonna shoplift a box from Walmart after work. lol

As for those wrappers are worthless, why sell. blah blah.. I know I'd love a roll of 1989 Fleer wrappers. Not to make packs (duh) but as a unique addition to my collection and something to help my boys with the ladies when they get older. yea.

Thanks Steve for the info. BTW my lawyers will be conntacting you.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    fandango,

You actually make a good point but the blame does not lie with Steve. He's one of the good guys and it really would be a shame to lose his insight.

Steve, we know you didn't have any malicious intent selling the wrappers. We sincerely thank you for doing the responsible thing by informing us of a potential reseal job.

Keep up the great work image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Doing some research, I found that we had sold this scammer a roll of 79/80 Topps hockey wrappers. His ebay ID's then showed he bought numerous lots of 79/80 Topps hockey. Thanks, Steve Hart >>

Dear Steve,

why in the hell would you sell 79/80 Topps Hockey wrappers?

Do you think they were making a table covering with them???
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sorry. This is all my fault. From now on, I will not handle:

Uncut sheets--because I'm sure some of them end up cut and in BGS holders and re-sold
    1989 Topps boxes--because I see they guy bought those on ebay and used the gum for the older fake packs and re-sold
    basically anything of value--Art, Coins, baseball cards, automobiles, stamps, because they all can be altered and re-sold
    Hartland Statues--because they are altered, re-painted, re-pieced and then re-sold
    Should I continue?

All I did was try to help anyone who thinks they have been scammed. I guess from now on I should just keep this helpful information to myself. >>

It is still inexcusable to sell wrappers in bulk.

You don't need $$$$ that badly.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm sorry. This is all my fault. From now on, I will not handle:

Should I continue?

All I did was try to help anyone who thinks they have been scammed. I guess from now on I should just keep this helpful information to myself. >>

It is still inexcusable to sell wrappers in bulk.

You don't need $$$$ that badly. >>

Man I sure hope that is sarcasm...
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    who in the hell are some of you that dare criticize Steve for selling ANYTHING he pleases?

Probably the same kind of people that want to disarm the legally armed American.

Cynic isn't the word that comes to mind when I read through this thread.

• Options

<< <i>what if Steve sold him 2 boxes of product...he opened and searched and then resealed. Still Steve's problem? >>

That is so true! What if the scammer would have bought 2 boxes of 79/80 Topps Hockey from Steve, opened them up to search them and then re-sealed them? Would it still be Steve's fault?

I've never re-sealed wax, but that seems like the most logical way to do it. Everything you would need is already there - the wrappers, the cards and the gum.

Why people are still buying unopened wax (unless graded) on eBay I have no idea when there are reputable dealers such as Steve to buy from.

On a side note, I have some '74 and '76 Baseball unopened GRADED wax on the b/s/t boardsimage
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    It would be one thing if he sold the wrappers, empty box and a bunch of NM/MT commons as sort of a "pack-building kit", but selling the wrappers by themselves is just selling a collectible and nothing more.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I collect uncut sheets. I have no intention of ever cutting them, although I'm sure it happens.
    I collect wrappers. I have no intention of building packs out of them, although I'm sure it happens.
    I collect raw sets. I have no intention of using them to fill packs I create. Or bogus Xmas rack packs.
    I collect empty wax boxes. See a trend here?

If you have doubts about Steve's integrity you might as well pack it in right now. Who next? Wayne Varner? Bill McAvoy? These are the good guys.
    I, for one, really appreciate anything Steve wants to share.
    I think there is still a lot of shell shock from Gary's shenanigans.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many honest collectors collect wrappers. I don't think that they should be penalized because a dishonest person may use wrappers to fabricate packs. Unfortunately, this is an ongoing problem on ebay where there are a number of "alt IDs" for resealers who fabricate an endless supply of sealed wax packs. The key here, as someone has already mentioned, is to know who you're buying from and doing your research. For instance, these fabricated packs invariably contain the wrong-sized gum (usually the skinny-sized late 1980s Topps version) which is a dead giveaway even if you don't open the pack, as the gum Topps used in the 1970s was much wider in size than the gum they started using in the mid-80s. There are so many obvious fake packs up for sale on ebay at any given time (I especially liked that "rare" 1965 OPC cello a couple weeks back and those 2-card 1972 "fun" cello packs), it's amazing they get any bids at all. These sellers prey on inexperience and the false hope on the buyer's part that they are getting a great "deal".

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.