Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you carry a silver Dollar in your pocket????

I carry a 1881-S (Good cond.) silver dollar in pocket everyday. Mostly for conversation with people that seem to know nothing about collecting. It seems to get some interested about collecting. Question: Do you carry any collector coins for same reason, good luck, etc.?image

Comments

• Options
    I carry a VF 1880-S
  • Options
    imageimage
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I carry a 1972 Type 2!

I may just stop though since I've caught myself trying to spend it once or twice!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I carry three:

1884-CC (now in AG03)
    1890-CC "Tailbar" (getting awfully close to FA02)
    1899-O Micro-O (was a lightly cleaned XF; looks OK now as a VF35)
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    1880 micor o
  • Options
    a pocket angel
    Missing My Life -PSA-Please Watch- 30 seconds could help someone you know

"If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around to hear it. Am I still wrong?"
  • Options
    aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    Does this mean your pockets are silver-lined?

Thanks,

Chris
  • Options
    A 2006 ase and a gw smoothie in a air-tite.................
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Nope, but my ball marker is a 1944 dime. That's golf talk for you non playing brothers.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    jhusmanjhusman Posts: 1,082
    I have a 1922 Peace dollar on my keychain. It was holed when I bought it with a bunch of other junk silver, so on my keychain it went. It's interesting to watch it wear; it was fairly unattractive when I bought it, but it has gotten a nive amount of dirt into the devices and it looks great now.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No... never understood this foible.... does not make it wrong... just not for me. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 1921 Morgan that used to be black but the wear has cleaned up nicely

A 1976 Ike

A 2000 Sacagawea

Started out (5 years ago) carrying them to see how the wear on each compared, now they are just part of the whole scheme of things.
  • Options
    I was never able to keep a pocket piece more than a few days before I'd lose it. I may have to start using krazy glue...
  • Options
    Silver Eagle, finally starting to show nice wear
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    an 1881-CC Morgan
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but I do carry a silver bullet in a chamber in case I run into werewolves.
    Someone told me at a very young age to beware of the Wolf in Coin Dealer's clothing.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a 93S. image
    imageimage >>

Prove it image LOL
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a 93S.

Are you sure? Looks like an 1895 Philly circulation strike to me! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    EarendilEarendil Posts: 243 ✭✭
    A 2005 Silver Eagle.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not quite. Draped bust silver round.
    mirabela
  • Options

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I carry a couple of Ike dollars (non-silver) and they are wearing down nicely.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    1900-O Morgan
  • Options
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>an 1881-CC Morgan >>

1882-CC Morgan and 2001 SAE.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2006 Silver Eagle - no W .
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    an 1880S and an 1886 morgan.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    1922 Peace.
    Becky
  • Options
    I carry a Morgan $1, Peace $1, Silver Eagle $1, Ike $1, 64 Kennedy, Clad Kennedy, and some foreign coin.
    SM

ANA - J-3139215
    SPMC - J-12338
    McDCCC - Charter Member

Announcing: The Numismatic Enquirer - Website
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I no longer carry a pocket piece...but I know a certain Coastie who'll be carrying
    a 1905-P Barber Half fairly soon.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I didn't think I did until an 8 year old boy came up to me at a party with a little girl in tow. He looked at me and said "I brought her over to show her one of your cool coins." I stumbled for words as I did not have a coin on me. He let me know that was the first time! I generally carry around something that is new or different. Conversation pieces mostly. One of my favorite pocket pieces was the 25 cent gold. Never fails to make people go "huh?" last week it was an ancient Roman Coin, and before that (for no apparant reason) was a 1920 3 pence piece that I took from cruddy black to a nice XF by a two week Olive Oil soak, toothpicks and a microscope. Yesterday it was the 09-S VDB I "made" last week. Kept pulling out, looking at it, putting it away all day. A minor amusement it my other wise hectic days.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my 1870-S dollar pocket piece...it's half-dollar sized and the mintmark is worn off, but I'm sure it's the real thing...image

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I carry an AG 1850-O. I was born in 1950.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    2 of them "Proof coins"

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    "99 ASE.
    John
    Chance favors the prepared mind.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    07 ASE
  • Options
    Three coins as a matter of fact, a 1964 silver Kennedy half that a coworker gave me, a 1978 mexican onza and a gold 1919 five pesos that I bought in ebay a few months ago turned out to be greenish form having been heavily dipped but didn't really want to return it because I thought it would be cool to have a gold piece in my change and I'm just hoping the wear will give it a nicer look.

~
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, large coins tend to wear out pockets made of cotton. I have a 10,000 Colombian peso note and a Brasilian 50 real note in my wallet, though
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Not me.
    I carry far too many keys, and tools, and too much pocket change to carry collectable coins. They/it would only get beat up, for no good reason.If I wanted to carry one for luck say, I would have to put it on a chain. Or,,,I wonder if I could come up with a watch band mount. A watch is the only jewlery I normally wear.
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?
  • Options
    Here are mine....

• Options
    I usually carry an IKE with me - no particular date or type - if I spend it, then I go back to my supply and get another one - mainly carry it for conversation piece - when I whip out the IKE, most people, especially the young ones, dont know what the hell it is - nice way to get young people involved in coin collecting - I tell them it's an easy series to collect and they are plentiful if you look for them.
    currently putting together a EF/AU/BU 18th & 19th Century Type Set; and CC Morgan Set

just completed 3d tour to Iraq and retired after 28+ years in the US Army
  • Options
    50 cent liberty 1921. It reminds me of all the lives lost, preserving freedom.

We speak English all over the world because America, Great Britain, Australia and Canada sent our young men and women to Europe to fight, we could be speaking German, if not for their sacrifice.

Will we be speaking Arabic one day?

Leave "In God We Trust" on all coinage.

One final thought..... California is facing this hardship (fires) with great courage. Don't ask the government for help, you can overcome this with your own hardwork and brains.

Less government, less taxes, more money for coins.
  • Options
    jhusmanjhusman Posts: 1,082

New Camera.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's what's in my pocket today. The only constant is the Morgan, and yes, it is an 1894.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    Yep, a 1986 ASE.
  • Options
    Sure do..carry a 1886 Morgan from my Dad's collection and, occasionaly a 1946 Walker..love the sound of the silver
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case of werewolves, one should, but I am terrible at keeping pocket pieces. Where's my Wright Bros dollar!?
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to carry a Morgan, but lost it in a NYC cab image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file