Home U.S. Coin Forum

So I bought a Libertas Medal......

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
A REAL One:

Purchased from a reputable dealer with a garuntee that NCS will slab it as authentic. She has some rim dings, but nothing that takes away from the main image.

Hope yall like it!
Ankur
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• I believe NGC will grade the original medal. Very nice!
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    Way to Go, Ankur! That's a really nice medal!

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe NGC will grade the original medal. Very nice! >>

It's certainly worth a shot. At any rate, congratulations on a wonderful pick-up! Let us know how it slabs.
  • numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Brian
    NUMO
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it, a lot!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Yes. I saw that. I think the dealer is more than reputable. I believe he provides medal consulting services to major TPGs. Very cool example. Congrats. --Jerry
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Franklin owned it. What else do you need to say, except congrats!
  • I love these things. They're simply gorgeous
  • AWESOME!

Kinda puts this recent stuff in it's place, huh?

Honestly, congrats!

FlioridaBill

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations!
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Very cool.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congratulations. Are you getting it authenticated or are you satisfied with the dealer's promise?

<< <i>congratulations. Are you getting it authenticated or are you satisfied with the dealer's promise? >>

I comunicated with the seller and came away with the impression that these haven't been counterfeited (yet?). I guess a replica could have been modified but that seems unlikely in this case. --jerry
    I will have it authenticated by NCS just to be 110% sure of its authenticity. That and being slabbed will prevent me from wanting to hold it in my hand image

Ankur
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Congrats on finding one you like and can afford.

• joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Any Libertas is good to have, can you divule a ball park cost - the last one I saw was over 100 grand fro UNC
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are beautiful medals and that is an amazing purchase.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will have it authenticated by NCS just to be 110% sure of its authenticity. That and being slabbed will prevent me from wanting to hold it in my hand image

Ankur >>

crack it out once you're sure it's real, then hold it in your hand to bask in History!

• << <i>Any Libertas is good to have, can you divulge a ball park cost - the last one I saw was over 100 grand fro UNC >>

A wonderful piece of history..... of historical Americana ......... I'm curious too, how affordable was this (ballpark)?????
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice... I am truly envious... but also very happy for you. Cheers, RickO
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, you did not buy just a Libertas medal but you bought THE Libertas medal.

"...now your order is to add a (THE) silver one for your set!!

......As always, should you or any of your IM force be caught or killed,, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This tape will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Jim."
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

• << <i>Any Libertas is good to have, can you divule a ball park cost - the last one I saw was over 100 grand fro UNC >>

The only Libertas Americana medals to sell publicly for more than 100K have been the last three nice silver ones to sell at prominent US sales - including one at Heritage in August (which we bought), Ford's best which sold last year, and the Bass-Cardinal example in 2004.

The highest price ever for a bronze piece was for an NGC 65 example at Heritage a few months ago at $47,500 or so. In general, bronze uncs seem to be "worth" 20K and up depending on quality.

A nice XF / AU might be around 9 - 18K these days.

While a collectible circ. with a few dings and marks could go from 4K - 7K.

I would guess a basal state piece (either based on wear or damage) is probably not going to sell for less than 2K no matter how much abuse it has seen.

Edited to add the qualifiers to the auction results.

• << <i>

<< <i>Any Libertas is good to have, can you divule a ball park cost - the last one I saw was over 100 grand fro UNC >>

The only Libertas Americana medals to sell for more than 100K have been the last three nice silver ones to sell - including one at Heritage in August (which we bought), Ford's best which sold last year, and the Bass-Cardinal example in 2004.

The highest price ever for a bronze piece was for an NGC 65 example at Heritage a few months ago at $47,500 or so. In general, bronze uncs seem to be "worth" 20K and up depending on quality.

A nice XF / AU might be around 9 - 18K these days.

While a collectible circ. with a few dings and marks could go from 4K - 7K.

I would guess a basal state piece (either based on wear or damage) is probably not going to sell for less than 2K no matter how much abuse it has seen. >>

Thanks, I was curious....
    Coin Rarities:

If you find any for $2k, I will buy them all sight unseen!

This one cost under $5k, but more than $2k.

Ankur
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

• << <i>Coin Rarities:

If you find any for $2k, I will buy them all sight unseen!

This one cost under $5k, but more than $2k.

Ankur >>

Your's is much, much nicer than one I would describe as basal state and value at 2K - I figured your's in the 'collectible circ with a few dings and marks' category.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Now this is truly "History in Your Hands" - BEAUTIFUL!

Kinda of OT, but I think I remember a thread about the Paris Mint/Talisman restrike here a while back. Couldn't find it when I ran a search. Anyone remember this and can they help me find that thread. I'm thinking of ordering one, since I can't afford an original, and wanted to review ya'lls opinions.

Thanks & Best Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
    www.talismancoins.com

I have both the silver and bronze restrikes, and they are both gorgeous!

Ankur
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

• AnkurJ

To all knowledgeable medal collectors, the credibility of Joe Levine at PCAC has about 100 times the credibility of having NCS or NGC slab that medal. Trust me on this. NGC has their various areas of expertise, the Libertas medal you have falls far outside that expertise. Joe Levine is one of the top, if not the top expert on historical medals in the US. I would rank the Medal guy at NGC as somewhere around number 500, or lower. (As to these medals) He knows zero about Revolutionary war or Betts medals. NGC will eventually stop slabbing these medals once folks figure this out, and their guarantee gets called in. I am in the process of calling it in.

Don't waste your money on a slab, Joe's invoice is all the authentication you need. Having NGC handle the medal will do nothing to add, and may detract from it's value. If you PM me, I will give you more details on the NGC issue, as I do not want to debate it here.

So this medal is in hand after a long wait.

Should I send it to NGC first, or straight to NCS? I dont think there is any major "damage" on the medal, just honest wear. I will post better images soon.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ankur
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    what was the delay in getting it delivered?
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with ipmman - Levine's authentication is more than sufficient.

<< <i>what was the delay in getting it delivered? >>

Was paying it off image
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Awesome!!! I love the originals!
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    BIG CONGRATS!

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • image Amazing. Id leave it alone. No slab. Hold it like the greats did before you. That thing deserves to breath air. I love it! Simply beautiful.
  • Thant is one SWEET piece, AnkurJ!!! I LOVE those medals. I am gonna have to get myself one from Talisman, as even their replicas are sweet.....and hopefully someday, can replace it with a real one. Nice pick-up!!!
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    If your source indeed advises TPG's on medals, I am inclined to agree with the earlier post and keep it raw. Maybe keep it in an Air-tite for storage.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on adding a truly historical piece to your collection.
  • I bought the silver restrike that Talisman offered. I still haven't cut it out of its plastic wrapper!
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭

Congrats on a fantastic pickup.

-------------

etexmike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file