Home U.S. Coin Forum

POLL: Have you overspent your coin budget this year?

TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
With all the new stuff being cranked out by the mint, and all the online auction forums now available have you found that you have overspent your coin budget this year? I have to wonder if this is part of the problem with the soft prices on Ebay and other sales venues. I know the argument that nice coins allways sell good, yet I have seen many "Nice" coins going unsold.
On BS&T Now: Nothing.
Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.

Comments

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Nothing has caught my attention from the Mint since the RP's of 2006, and

I'm being real picky on the proof IHC's, but the money not spent isn't burning a hole in my pocket.
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I'll never tell!!!

.....and there's still 4 months to go!
  • Yes, but it has nothing to do with the mint or auctions. I found some very nice key date coins for sale that would not come up again for a looooong time. I'd love to overspend by another $300k-400k and buy the 70-s seated dollar from TDNs thread! image

Mark
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Have you overspent your coin budget this year?
    -----

What's a coin budget??

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but the year is not over yet.....was looking to spend up to 40K, but alas, have only spent $3,500!
    Why can't I find what I like???????? I may have to pay down the house loan, ughhhh.
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but at least it's not as bad as last year. image
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, still going. image

Hoard the keys.
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    What's a coin budget??

I had to laugh, if only because I haven't had a firm budget lately... If I did, I would have outspent it by now.... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Budget? We don't need no stinking budget.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I broke the bank a long time ago.image
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Underspent, actually.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way under....(but way over in 2006)

I just can't seem to find reasonably priced nice material, but I keep looking.

But I'm locked and loaded for bear if I find something nice.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Well, kind of. I thought the Gold buffalo gold coins would do better than they have. I speculated and lost. I still managed to keep some for my collection so with the loss and the ones for the collection I have over spent. image

Oh and I also bought a nice MS62 Half Eagle a really nice MS63 Indian quarter eagle and a fantastic AU58 Liberty Half Eagle that were all about equal to my budget.
  • Way, Way over!! I've spent over 3K on just my Dansco 7070 this year.

Millertime
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    Not yet, but a Plat aniversary set will put me way over the top
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV

• I would have if there had been a platimum anniversary set.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This concept of "coin budget" is foreign to me! image
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I've spent more than thought I would have to spend this year. I had wanted to pick up a number of mid 19th century quarter and half dollar type coins. I'm not talking about PR-65 or 66 coins. I'm looking for 64's. Grade-flation has made the 64 graded coins less attractive, and in any case the prices have gone through the ceiling.

I also ran into a very rare Martin Van Buren political medalet in a grade that FAR exceeded anything I had ever seen. This one was the "reject" from the John Ford collection. I paid "too much" for that one, but I know I'll never see a better one. I've been looking at these things from more than 20 years.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No budget... limited only by what attracts me.... Cheers, RickO
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you kidding? I've overspent NEXT year's budget! It has nothing to do with modern mint products or on-line auctions though. Merely, the price increase on bust halves.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I haven't bought any big coins and have spent a couple hundred buck total on coins this year.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    i do not buy crap from the franklin mint.

i do not buy stupid widgets that are available every day of the year.

i try to buy rare coins, which by their very nature do not come up
    for sale very often. i do not need a newp fix every week.

so no.
  • Oh yes - but my wife will never know!!! hehe
    Derek

Looking for reasonable silver lots (rolls or bars preferred). PM me with what you have.
  • sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    I have funds ready to go, but there is nothing that catches my fancy, at least in my price range. I saw an 1899 63dmpl on teletrade last night that went well above where I thought it would, so I didn't bid. If the right coins come out, I will be buying away. The mint's offerings don't affect me, I buy almost exclusively pl and dmpl morgans in a reasonable price range.image
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes

• << <i>Oh yes - but my wife will never know!!! hehe >>

image your secret is safe with me!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file