Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Taco Bell napkin toning experiment

Just for giggles, I wanted to see what my results would look like. This one has been cooking since 8/7/06. The colors are slightly more pronounced in the image because my white balance needs to be adjusted, but it's pretty close. The obverse is disappointing because of the areas that don't want to tone for some reason, but the reverse is pretty nice looking.

Comments

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like fun.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The white spots look like milk spots... if you look close (magnification), is there a 'central source'? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    How do that?
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need more testing. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin is the color of Enchrito sauce- are you sue it wasn't a used Taco Bell napkin? image
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    would you really call the reverse "pretty nice looking"? Not me.
  • Options
    reverse milk, almost seems that way
  • Options
    Where did you leave it for cookin anyhow?
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Ahh yes, now to see it in a slab and listed under various dealers ebay sites as a great rarity with pristine toning for hundreds of dollars.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess, now we know, "milk spots" won't tone in a Taco Bell napkinimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    It was stored in a small leather type box that was closed. The coin looks so much better in hand than the image suggests - especially the reverse. I'm not trying to turn myself into a coin doctor, but was curious to see what the results would be.
  • Options
    I put a handful of the new George Washington $1 coins in my 55 gal fish tank to make the sunken pirate ship scene look more realistic. Well after about 3 weeks the coins turned from a shiny bright gold to a dull dark reddish-brown. They were very FUGLY! So I spent them at McDonald's and the cashier took them after rolling her eyes in disgust.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Anyone try the new white Taco Bell napkins that replaced the classic Brown ones? Same sulfur content?
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    The white napkins actually have more sulfur content.

Regular thick soft toilet papers, like Charmin for example, have more sulfur content than any napkins do.

Keep that coin stored the way it is and it will begin to turn dark fairly soon, then very dark. Even if you put it in a flip, it will continue to darken over time.

You can stop the process now with an acetone bath to neutralize it.

To make it really interesting, you might try diluted EzEst on a cotton swab on the obverse and leave the reverse as it is after neutralizing it.

It still won't be worth much more than melt, but it will be unique.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    Advertise it as "fire-sauce target toned", self-slab it as MS-70, and put it on e-bay. image
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file