Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here's an easy to use dessicant.

mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
I got one of these today for keeping things dry in my safe. It's self contained and when it needs to be recharged you just plug it into a wall outlet.

link
coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why, but I finally learned how to spell desiccant correctly after 50 years. Now if I can just keep working on pursue.
    Or is it persue? Hmmmmmmmm.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How big is that thing I did not see deminions in the ad.
  • Options
    About the size of a CD jewel box. 1.5 inches thick or so.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    Cabelas sells these as well. Probably Gander Mtn. as well.
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    The link goes to Amazon. They stock a size that is rated for 6 ounces of absorbing (5 x 6 x 1.5 inches in size), and a slightly larger unit rated for 8 to 10 ounces. They are suitable for safes or other enclosed spaces. Sounds easier to use, than reheating the other kind of silica gel in an oven to recharge.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can by directly from acehardware cheaper

ACE

Think i'll swing by their store tomorrow and see if they stock it.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info on these. Getting one of these has been on my mind.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they work under the arms ? image

Just a boost for humor.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect.
    This is just what I was looking to find for home storage of coins.
    Thanks for posting!
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember to recharge them in a different room from where you keep your safe. I would assume from the description that the crystals are recharged by having the water in them evaporate, which obviously would go into the air in the room it is in.
  • Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    So the product is basically silica gel that you renew by plugging in as opposed to putting in the oven? That would be a far easier package for me to use. Thanks for posting mgoodm3. I'll be interested in hearing how well it works for you.
  • Options
    I plugged it in when I got home and waited about 8 hours and the little glass beads inside turned blue (were pink when I got it) which means they are good to go. I put it into the safe this morning.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $20 per unit
    Lasting up to 8 weeks.
    Over a year it would cost $120.
    That would double the cost of my safe deposit box fees. I'd have to get a bigger safe deposit box to hold that unit and the people might look at me funny when I bring something like that instead of blue boxes.
    Good morning, Mark
    just a friendly boost.
  • Options
    $20 is for multiple uses. Don't gotta buy a new one, just plug it into the wall and reuse it.
  • Options
    VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭
    Pretty cool

These fargan bastidges (who will get this reference?) are selling a neat item.
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my website www.vtcoins.com

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Tom, that Färgain!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tom, that Färgain!!! >>

How did u get the dots over the umlaut?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great info, just ordered one for myself. Thanks for the tip.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So the product is basically silica gel that you renew by plugging in as opposed to putting in the oven? >>

My thoughts exactly and silica gel packs are less expensive. Of course, neither of them will lower the humidity inside a safe.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So the product is basically silica gel that you renew by plugging in as opposed to putting in the oven? >>

My thoughts exactly and silica gel packs are less expensive. Of course, neither of them will lower the humidity inside a safe. >>

Humidity absorbing gel won't lower humidity?
  • Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Humidity absorbing gel won't lower humidity? >>

Correct, the humidity is not removed from the safe, it is just stored in the silica.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Correct, the humidity is not removed from the safe, it is just stored in the silica. >>

Then you take it out of the safe and put it back into the air else where.
  • Options
    This is a crazy way to look at the moisture problem. Inasmuch as HUMIDITY is the amount of moisture in the air, then a dessicant does, indeed, remove the humidity inside of the safe. The moisture that was in the air now resides inside the dessicant (stored inside of the crystal structure). The only way to remove the moisture from the dessicant is to heat it. The humidity inside of the safe decreases, and the moisture (previously in the air) is safely locked away inside the dessicant. I agree that the total moisture content is constant, but the amount of HUMIDITY inside the safe decreases.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    I've used the same product, but with Remington's name on it. I bought it at a sports store that sold guns and safes.

I've used it for about 2 months now and the color turned pretty quickly from dark blue to medium purple. Instructions say to plug it in (in a different room) and it will heat sufficently to turn the gel back to dark blue. Seems to work just fine.

I use a small walk-in closet that sits on an outside corner of the house, so I was concerned about hudmidity.

Remington's name cost a few extra bucks. It was aboout $24 in the store.
    William

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file