Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official Walter Payton Master Set Registry Thread

Comments

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    My Payton came back evid of trim. I am pissed.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I have a
    1984 Topps #229 Walter Payton IA PSA 9 $12
    1986 Topps #11 Walter Payton PSA 8 $8

would take $17 for both...

gregmo32@aol.com if interested.

Thanks!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How many McDonalds cards of Payton were made? Im thinking there may be different color variations. Im I right?

I do remember getting those cards at Mcdonalds but at that time I didn't think anything about it and probably threw them away with the empty fry box. Ain't that how it always goes........ >>

There were 10 McDonalds Walter Payton cards. Two in 1985 and 8 in 1986. I only have one of the 1985' s but they are quite a bit larger then the 86's and contain a scratch off coupon on the bottom. If the Bears won the game you won one prize and if they lost you recieved a lesser food deal. There are two 1986 McDonalds sets that have Payton in it. Both an All-Star set and a Bears Team set. Both sets come in four colors Black, Green, Blue & Orange which represent the colors of the detachable scratch off coupon on the bottom. Here are two examples from SMB's Pieces of History #1 set.
    imageimage
    I also remember having these cards as a kid but I always scratched the bottoms of the cardsimage
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options

<< <i>My Payton came back evid of trim. I am pissed. >>

That sucks! Did you get it on Ebay? My Payton rookie is only a 6 but I am always reluctant to buy it raw. Perhaps BGS might grade it?
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    Sweet, thanks for the information on the Payton card. I gotta look for some on the bay now.............rob
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>There were 10 McDonalds Walter Payton cards. Two in 1985 and 8 in 1986. I only have one of the 1985' s but they are quite a bit larger then the 86's and contain a scratch off coupon on the bottom. If the Bears won the game you won one prize and if they lost you recieved a lesser food deal. There are two 1986 McDonalds sets that have Payton in it. Both an All-Star set and a Bears Team set. Both sets come in four colors Black, Green, Blue & Orange which represent the colors of the detachable scratch off coupon on the bottom. Here are two examples from SMB's Pieces of History #1 set.
    imageimage
    I also remember having these cards as a kid but I always scratched the bottoms of the cardsimage >>

Actually, there are 11 different McDonald's cards, as there are three color variations from the 1985 sets - Blue for NFC Divisional Playoffs, Orange for NFC Championship and Yellow for Super Bowl XX. The 1985 cards seem to be much rarer and, as is the case for all supersized cards, are VERY tough to get in high grade.
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification on the 85's! As always you are truely a great asset to this thread. I rarely see the 85's for sale and the one I have would probably grade a 6 or 7 at best.
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    My trimmed Payton came from an SCD 8 holder. The thing measure perfect, don't know why. Will resubmit soon.
  • Options
    was it the old Sports Collectors Digest holder?
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    The flip was silver and red. I have it at home. I will scan it in shortly
  • Options
    Did you have a chance to check the flip on the holder? I was always under the impression that the Sports Collectors Digest Graded cards were good but after they sold and the name was changed to Sports Cards Direct (?) they became no better then PRO grading.
    I was also able to pick up two PSA 8's today for my set. 1979 Topps Rushing Leaders W/ Campbell #3 & 1981 Topps Bears TL #264. I got them both from Naxcom for &17.05 shipped. Not a bad deal but that site is not very user friendly!
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    So I am a little depressed after the Bears game yesterday but I was able to add two PSA 9 stickers to my collection over the weekend. As I approach 50% completion on my set I am finding it harder and harder to find new items to add. I used to be able to add new items at any time but now I am having to hunt deeper. Anyone have any extra Payton PSa cards they want to sell for my set?
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Is there any Payton card that is so rare it could possibly outsell a PSA 9 rookie (at about $550-$600)?
  • Options
    Won a 85 McDonalds Orange Card off ebay.. Its just a PSA 6 but im very happy. Now I have one I probably had in 85 when I ordered a big mac and fries and tossed the card............ lol
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options

<< <i>Is there any Payton card that is so rare it could possibly outsell a PSA 9 rookie (at about $550-$600)? >>

If the question is about PSA 9s, either of the 1977 Topps Mexicans would sell for considerably more than the Topps Rookie. They both have sold for well more than $600 even in PSA 8, and the lone PSA 9 of the Rushing Leaders has sold for MUCH more. I've also been offered more than $600 for the Holsum PSA 9, and the Saga disc is probably right in the ballpark. All but the Holsum have an equal or higher weighted value in the set, and rightly so.
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭

I have a psa 9 1984 Topps Walter Payton # 228 on ebay now. If any of you Registry guys win it, free shipping is yours.

Thanks,

Bkritz
  • Options

<< <i>Won a 85 McDonalds Orange Card off ebay.. Its just a PSA 6 but im very happy. Now I have one I probably had in 85 when I ordered a big mac and fries and tossed the card............ lol >>

I saw that auction and I almost bid on it as well. I think I didn't (if I recall correctly) because the seller didn't take paypal. As always thanks for all the knowledge Bearcollector!
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    My McDonalds Pickup...... I love this card..........

Payton............. Hope this works......
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    Well it didn't work, I will try to send it tomorrow. Im proud of this pickup........
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    I've got a question for Steve (BearCollector) and I didn't want to hijack Gregs thread. I know the 1988 Monty Gum Payton is not in the master set registry. Any reason for this? It has other 1988 cards. Maybe we can have it added.

BTW Thanks to 4sc listing two cards I needed, I now have every Payton card issued in regular Topps sets!!
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    Picked up a nice PSA 8 86 topps team leaders card last night...........just one more I keep telling myself.......lol
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options

<< <i>I've got a question for Steve (BearCollector) and I didn't want to hijack Gregs thread. I know the 1988 Monty Gum Payton is not in the master set registry. Any reason for this? It has other 1988 cards. Maybe we can have it added. >>

Sorry for the delay in responding, but we've been out of town for the weekend. Anyway, the rules are laid out under the "Set Requests" tab on every web page under the Set Registry portion of the PSA web site:

In general, player sets consist of cards for that player which were manufactured during the player's play years. Exceptions: Many companies produce cards for players the year after the player has retired. These cards will be allowed if they list the previous year's stats for that player on the back of the card or were manufactured expressly to depict activity from the previous and final play year.

The 1988 Kenner card clearly fits since it has Walter's entire career stats including the 1987 season (notably the ONLY card produced that has his entire career stats, thus a very important card). The 1988 Topps RB card fits since it depicts activity from the 1987 season, namely Walter setting a new rushing TD record.

Other cards, such as the Monty Gum card in question, do not meet these rules.
  • Options

<< <i>Great .... now I'll never find a Saga Disc to finish my set!

Mike >>

Mike ... PM sent.
  • Options
    Hello All,

Thought I'd share some just-released results from a few Payton submissions I made last week in an effort to upgrade my set where possible. This first one is fairly satisfying, as I got another one of the Waddington's in a PSA 10 (just 2 more to have all 10s on those). I thought one of the Saga discs had a real good shot at a 10, but now I've got a couple of spare 9s to sell. Also thought the Coke disc was a potential 10. Overall, not great, but OK.

PSA Order Status for Submission # 625109

1 09156557 1976 SAGA DISCS WALTER PAYTON N/A 9
    1 09156558 1976 SAGA DISCS WALTER PAYTON N/A 9
    2 09156559 1976 BEARS COKE DISCS WALTER PAYTON N/A 9
    3 09156560 1986 WADDINGTON GAME WALTER PAYTON 1ST DOWN 8
    3 09156561 1986 WADDINGTON GAME WALTER PAYTON 1ST DOWN 10
    3 09156562 1986 WADDINGTON GAME WALTER PAYTON 1ST DOWN 9

Date Received: 09/20/2007
    Date of Grades Posted: 09/28/2007
    Date Shipped: No Date Specified

I've got 2 more subs due to pop yesterday - I'll post when they hit.

• Options
    WOW great results and cards! I can't wait to see the next results. Are any of the waddingtons for sale?
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options

<< <i>WOW great results and cards! I can't wait to see the next results. Are any of the waddingtons for sale? >>

Sure, the Waddington's, as well as any others, are open to sale. I have some other stuff from previous grading attempts that I'll try to dig up as well, and I'll post an entire list of stuff with modest pricing once the next two subs pop up. I should have some dupes of some tough super-sized and Tall Boy stuff among other things.
  • Options
    can't wait to see the list! It has been a slow time on Ebay for odd ball items.
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    looks like bearcollector is selling a nice payton item this week.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>looks like MOSH is selling a nice payton item this week. >>

LDFerg - Is this the item upon which you are referring?

Payton PSA 10

If so, please let me assure you that I (eBay moniker "pieces_of_history") am in no way affiliated with MOSH, and in fact have crossed horns with MOSH on Payton items before. I am simply offering this item up to see if it generates some interest on the 1985 Topps side of the house due to it's 1/1 status - enough at least to warrant a high enough bid to be willing to part with it.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    yes, this is it. i do apologize...i've got my ebay id's mixed up. it is a very nice card nonetheless. again, i'm sorry for the mixup.

...and i've modified my post.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    I have some Paytons that I had forgotten about. Although I am a huge Payton fan, I stopped collecting years ago, and although my admiration for Walter will never diminish, I would like to see my cards go to someone that actively collects. I started a thread listing what I found. Please let me know if you are possibly interested in any of them. I can be reached via email - ericm1979@hotmail.com.
  • Options
    Well, I had three subs due last Thursday, and just got #2 today.

09156565 1978 FLEER TEAM ACTION 7 CHICAGO BEARS UP THE MIDDLE 9
    09156566 1978 FLEER TEAM ACTION 7 CHICAGO BEARS UP THE MIDDLE 9
    09156567 1978 FLEER TEAM ACTION 16 DENVER BRONCOS ORANGE CRUSH 9
    09156568 1978 FLEER TEAM ACTION 16 DENVER BRONCOS ORANGE CRUSH 10
    09156569 1979 STOP N GO 6 WALTER PAYTON N/A 9
    09156570 1979 STOP N GO 6 WALTER PAYTON N/A 5
    09156571 1980 FLEER TEAM ACTION 7 CHICAGO BEARS COMING THROUGH 8
    09156572 1980 FLEER TEAM ACTION 7 CHICAGO BEARS COMING THROUGH 9
    09156573 1980 FLEER TEAM ACTION 54 TAMPA BAY BUCCANEER 3-4 SHUT THE DOOR 8
    09156574 1981 TOPPS 202 WALTER PAYTON N/A 10
    09156575 1981 TOPPS STICKERS 191 WALTER PAYTON N/A 8
    09156576 1981 TOPPS STICKERS 191 WALTER PAYTON N/A 9
    09156577 1983 TOPPS STICKERS 213 WALTER PAYTON N/A 9
    09156578 1983 TOPPS STICKERS 213 WALTER PAYTON N/A 8
    09156579 1983 TOPPS STICKERS 213 WALTER PAYTON N/A 10
    09156580 1984 TOPPS 228 WALTER PAYTON N/A 9
    09156581 1984 TOPPS 228 WALTER PAYTON N/A 9PD
    09156582 1984 TOPPS 228 WALTER PAYTON N/A 9PD
    09156583 1985 FOOTBALL IMMORTAL 134 WALTER PAYTON N/A 8
    09156584 1986 JENO'S PIZZA 12 WALTER PAYTON N/A 8
    09156585 1986 TOPPS STICKERS 2 WALTER PAYTON ON RIGHT 9
    09156586 1988 WALTER PAYTON TITLE CARD COMMEMORATIVE 9
    09156587 1988 WALTER PAYTON 11 VS. BROWNS COMMEMORATIVE 8
    09156588 1988 WALTER PAYTON 13 VS. RAIDERS COMMEMORATIVE 8
    09156589 1988 WALTER PAYTON 16 VS. SEAHAWKS COMMEMORATIVE 7
    09156590 1988 WALTER PAYTON 62 CORPORATE SPOKESMAN COMMEMORATIVE 7
    09156591 1988 WALTER PAYTON 71 1976 TSN NFC AWARD COMMEMORATIVE 8
    09156592 1988 WALTER PAYTON 71 1976 TSN NFC AWARD COMMEMORATIVE 8

Date Received: 09/20/2007
    Date of Grades Posted: 10/01/2007

Other than the Commemoratives, which were basically just attempts to upgrade to all PSA 8+ in that set, as well as the 1985 FB Immortals card, each one of these I submitted with reasonable hopes of getting a 10. Getting three PSA 10s is reasonable, and really nice on the ones that did grade out - especially the 1983 #213 sticker, which is extremely tough to find centered. I must say that I am somewhat disappointed to get just an 8 on the Immortals card, as I thought I finally had a real shot at getting a 9. That card is TOUGH to even find, and especially tough to find without corner dings. Oh well ...

• Options
    Again Great cards! I just PM'ed you
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    If anyone is interested, I pulled several nice Monty Gum Walter Payton stickers. They are #9 and show Walter Payton diving over the goal line. Please PM or e-mail me at montooth13 at yahoo.com if interested. Attached is a link to the thread on the B/S/T board.

Linky

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    I just recieved a PSA 8 1978 Slim Jim Walter Payton disc from another board member. Very cool item and I am happy it fits into a regular size PSA holder. I thought it would come in a larger holder like the Crane Discs. I also have one of those Monty Gum cards coming from Greg. It's a shame it can't be added to the registy but it's is still a nice card to have. Anyone else have any new additions?
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

If anyone can help me with my 1977 FB set I would appreciate it.

I need a 77' Payton PSA 9 to upgrade my set.

Thanks,
    Tom
  • Options
    Thanks to a recent purchase from Steve (Bearcollector) I am now in the top 10! Steve is a great seller as well as the most knowledgable Payton collector I have come across. Did anyone notice the creased raw 1978 Slim Jim Payton sold for nearly $40??! There is one on Naxcom for less then that ($30) but It is not cut very well. There are some nice Payton items up on Ebay now but the starting bids on some of the items seem to be high. image
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    Just thought i'd use this thread to help a guy down on his luck sell his #5 All time collection. Here is a link to his post. Payton #5 Awesome set for sale!

I just picked up a PSA 8 1979 Stop-N-Go that I can't wait for it to arrive!
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    So there seems to be a ton of rare Payton stuff on Ebay now. I seem to be getting outbid during the last minute of many auctions. Today I sign in and do my daily search and I see Bearcollector (#1 finest all-time) is breaking up his set!! Say it ain't so!! I have had the privilage of doing buisness with him outside of Ebay and he is a class act. I hope the sale goes great for you. (That is code for "I hope I win several of your auctions)image
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options

<< <i>So there seems to be a ton of rare Payton stuff on Ebay now. I seem to be getting outbid during the last minute of many auctions. Today I sign in and do my daily search and I see Bearcollector (#1 finest all-time) is breaking up his set!! Say it ain't so!! I have had the privilage of doing buisness with him outside of Ebay and he is a class act. I hope the sale goes great for you. (That is code for "I hope I win several of your auctions)image >>

Yes, it's true. I figured I've gone about as far as I could with this set, although the journey was a ton of fun.

The breakup already started with sales of my 1977 and 1984 Topps Basic PSA 10s, and some offline contacts (about 24 more cards have been spoken for already). I also have another 11 or so up on eBay now. If you or anyone else has a specific card or cards you'd be interested in, I'd be glad to send out a spreadsheet of available items and/or provide suggested prices (with bulk discounts as appropriate). PM me anytime, or e-mail me at piecesofhistory@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    I was going thru my cards and I wanted to share this with the Payton fans. I live north of Houston and in 1982 the area I grew up in had a tennis tournament. My parents were big into it and it was close to home so I decided to check it out. Well I get there and I am kinda bored, then I see this guy playing in the pro-am part of it and I instanly recognize him as Walter Payton. He looked quite funny on a tennis court, short guy with tree trunks for legs running around hitting a little ball. He was not very good at it but made up for that with his atheletism, haha. He was all over the court and just outplayed the other players who had played much more tennis.

Before his second match I had my mom run me home so I could pick up a card for an auto. I got back watched him win his next match and then went up to him for the auto. I was lucky as there was no one there to see him so I was the only person who came up to him then. He gave me his auto and we talked a bit, mainly about his tennis and football. I left with the auto and how classy a guy he was for chatting to me that day. I think he got to the finals but then lost but you could tell he really wanted to win, no surprise as he had more will to win than most players dream of.

Here you go-

• Options
    That's a great story smtjoy.
  • Options
    smtjoy:

That is the ultimate centerpiece for a football card collection. I would love to have that card!

scott
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing the pic and the story! Payton was a class act all the way.
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

I have 2 PSA 10 Monty Gum Walter Payton stickers if anyone is interested. Please PM me or send an e-mail to montooth13 at yahoo.com.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Hello,

Just wanted to let you know the Walter Payton Topps Master set is now on-line.
    I submitted this set request because there are alot of Topps Payton cards I collect, but I did'nt want to chase down all the obscure cards from other companies. I really did'nt want to include the stickers but I saw no other way to get the set request approved.

Tom
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have a psa 9 and a psa 10 1987 topps sticker Walter Payton available. Just PM me with an offer, or trade me a psa 9 or psa 10 payton that you do not need!

Brian
  • Options
    Hi, guys. I have a '77 Payton PSA 9 available. Feel free to PM with offers before I throw it up on eBay, thanks.

Jasen
  • Options
    Bringing this thread back upstairs. Im working on this set and am interested in purchasing/trading for the cards I still need. image
    The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound...That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

-t206
    -e90-1
    -e95
    -m116