Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Official Walter Payton Master Set Registry Thread

I am having a great time trying to complete the Walter Payton Master Set. Walter was my favorite football player and I currently reside in 11th place All-Time. I am hoping to possibly one day change this to "the Official Walter payton Set Registry Thread" but that may be a little ways off. We have A LOT of football collectors on this site who submit a ton of cards and maybe they can post in this thread the Payton's they get back in order to sell/trade them to us Payton collectors! I have dealt with several great people off this site and on the Payton registry and hopefully you will enjoy this hobby as much as I am. To get 4 people started I will send the first four people to express interest in this thread a Walter Payton PSA graded card. All I ask is that you register a set and hopefully don't be a Packer fan. The four cards I have available are :
1983 Topps #36 PSA 8 *MeteoriteGuy*
1983 Topps sticker Insert #24 PSA 8 *FavreFan1971*
1986 Topps Record Breaker #7 PSA 8 *NathanSr*
1988 Topps #5 PSA 8 *Blackie*

BTW I was just joking. Packer fans are welcome simply because of the class they showed after Payton passed away. It was nice to see the teams/fans put the rivalry behind them for one Sunday to celebrate a great player. Text
Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
Unique Chicago Cards
Wrestling Cards

Comments

• I am interested in starting this set. I need to expand my collecting horizons over the next few months before I start school in the spring.

NathanSr
    Successful purchases: Lawnmowerman(2), Wabittwax, mkg809, thePlasticman

Successful sales: xphunk, vjsteele4, onefasttalon, five7teen, yankeeno7

Successful trades: mijang

Generous Souls: MBMiler25, DES1984
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Even though I am a Packer Fan I respected Walter when we played against him. The guy was unstoppable.

I have a couple of Payton cards but have not started my set. My Payton Rookie is at PSA right now on my Collector's Club special. Hoping for a 9 but I will get an 8.

I would love to have one of those cards if you don't mind giving it to a Packer fan.
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I would like to start a Sweetness registry some time. He was one of the best players from my childhood, and 1980's Topps football cards are cool.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Great .... now I'll never find a Saga Disc to finish my set!

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Mike, I was thinking I might not want to create more competition for the cards on Ebay but I am hoping more buyers means more submissions and more of the rare cards ending up in slabs for us to locate! I mean i've never even heard of the 1986 Waddington Game and now I need 7 cards from itimage
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Waddingtons is from the UK. image I belive that the parent company that owns that name is Winning Moves. I have quite a few Top Trumps soccer sets from winning moves that I will have to submit as tallboys. image

NathanSr

Thanks for the info! I have been doing Google searches to try and find a set but no luck yet. Still one card left to a Payton fan!
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards

I've got a complete boxed set of the 1986 Waddington's "American football card game."

It's a boxed playing card game that was made in England. It looks like it's played similar to rummy, with 40 "giant sized" playing cards (3 1/2" x 5 3/4") in a plastic holder tray, and instructions. There are 7 cards from each of the following teams: Bears, Redskins, Dolphins, Cowboys, Steelers, and then 5 interception cards.

All 7 Bears cards have the same full color drawing of Payton on them. He's running the ball, and in the back ground is a tilted drawing of the city of Chicago at night. Chicago Bears is written on the bottom of each card. They kind of remind me of the NFL posters that were out in the late 70's and early 80's.

Anyway, the only difference in the 7 Bears cards are the individual words at the top of each playing card .... 10, 20, 40, 50, punt, 1st down, and touchdown.

Now you go find me that Payton Saga disc I need ... and maybe I could be talked into breaking up this set, and have some of these Waddingtons waddle their way over to you! image

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
    About a week or so ago there was a raw one on Ebay that sold for over $200! Please keep me in mind if you ever decide to break up that Waddington setimage
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    I would love to start one of the sweetness if you have one left. I remember buying Kangroo's just cause Walter was sponsering them.......
    1964 Topps Football
    Thanks for the Walter.............PM sent. Let me know what your looking for as well...............
    1964 Topps Football
  • I'd love to see a Walter Set Registry thread, as I've had a blast for over 2 years in assembling a 100% complete set, including swapping and selling among a few of us at the top of the list. I'd be glad to share some experiences with any of you about any aspect of the set, so just ask away and we'll see where the thread takes us.

Mike T - I've still got you on my radar for that Saga disc, as I've got a couple of nice raw one's ready to grade out in hopes of actually upgrading my current PSA 9. You are first on my list of contacts.

Steve B
    SMB's Pieces of History
    It looks like we have enough interest to start a thread so I edited the title. As an update everyones cards shipped yesterday so you should have them shortly. Steve, welcome to the thread! Thank you for posting all the pictures on your set. I use your set as a reference for all my cards. If I don't know what it is or looks like I will always check out your set. BTW What service level did you use for your Wheaties poster? I have my original one from when I was a kid that I want to get graded but i'm not sure which holder or service is used.
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
    Im really pumped to start the Payton set. Just found an old Wheaties box poster of payton that I saved. Im looking to try and get the rookie in a PSA 8 again. I sold my on Naxcom a few years back and now need another............
    1964 Topps Football
  • Hi-

Would love to start a Walter Payton Master set- currently #1 Jack Lambert master set, #1 Hines Ward master and basic set,, #1 Ben Roethlisberger master and basic set, #2 Jerome Bettis master set #1 Jerome Bettis basic set, also working on Fanco Harris set, and asking to register John Stallworth, Joe Greene, Donnie Shell, Mel Blount and LC greenwood set.

fast willie
    Current #1 Hines Ward Master Set
    Current #1 Hines Ward Basic Set
    Current #1 Ben Roethlisberger Master Set
    Current #1 Ben Roethlisberger Basic Set
    Current #1 Jack Lambert Master Set
    Current #1 Jack Lambert Basic Set
    Current #1 Jerome Bettis Basic Set
    Current #2 Jerome Bettis Master Set
    Current #1 Franco Harris Basic Set
    Current #2 Franco Harris Master Set
    Current #1 Jack Ham Master Set

succesful deals with CDsNuts and Bkritz thanks
  • RockDJ,

Those have to be submitted as supersized cards. I sent mine in a batch back during the month they had the grading special for those sized items (along with the 1977-9 Sportscaster, 1980 Topps Super and the 1985 McDonald's Orange, Blue and Yellow cards). I did pretty well on the Sportscaster, but all the rest are pretty mediocre grades so far. I'd sure like to find that PSA 10 of the Topps Super some day.

• FastWillie,

I wish you and all the rest all the best, but just don't be gunning for #1 for a while on the Walter set. image

• << <i>Mike, I was thinking I might not want to create more competition for the cards on Ebay but I am hoping more buyers means more submissions and more of the rare cards ending up in slabs for us to locate! I mean i've never even heard of the 1986 Waddington Game and now I need 7 cards from itimage >>

You know, it's weird but back just a year or so ago there used to be Waddington Game sets on eBay pretty regularly, but I haven't seen any for several weeks or even months now. I still have a batch somewhere, maybe even all 7 of them graded, certainly several in raw form.

<< <i>
    I wish you and all the rest all the best, but just don't be gunning for #1 for a while on the Walter set. image >>

Don't worry I have no desire (nor the meansimage) to challenge you for the #1 set. I am just trying to get to 100% complete. Grades aren't super important to me as long as the card looks nice. If you decide to part with the Waddington cards please let me know!
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Received my freebie today. Thank you kindly. It has also inspired me to start a 1986 topps football set. That and the fact that 1986 topps football were the first wax packs, of any sport, that I opened as a kid. Thanks again.

NathanSr

Nathan, got my Payton today...........Its awsome. Thank you so much. Opening up my Payton registry today. Your great man.........I have some stuff coming your way as well. You made a Marines day............thanks again bud.......Rob
    1964 Topps Football
    No problem gentleman! I wouldn't usually share the contents of a PM but I got one from Rob today that deserves sharing

<< <i>You made my day bud. I just got a deployment notice so Im heading back to Iraq. I get to start on my Payton registry thanks to you. I can't tell you how I appreciate it.............Rob >>

Let's keep Rob in our prayers! Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing!
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Good luck Nathan let me know if I can help with anyone's collection.

Mike M

Walter Payton Master Set :4th Finest
    Nathan thanks for the nice reply. Have about two months to complete as much as I can of the Payton set. I am saving up for a Payton rookie and then will add more. I do appreciate this thread and the support you guys give us. Again thank you Nathan..........My kid is was asking questions about Payton today and thats pretty cool when your children get interested in something we are. It gives me more time to spend with both before heading back to the sand box.............
    1964 Topps Football
  • Rob,

PM sent. I love hearing about a child's interest in knowing about Walter. Do you have any games on DVD?? I've got about 20-30 games if your child ever wants to see what he was like on the field, including his 205 yard game against Green Bay in 1977 (where he could've had about 350 if they'd left him in), the 61-7 Bears win over the Pack in 1980, the game where he passed Jim Brown in 1984, the whole 1985 season, and a bunch of other 150+ yard games.

Steve B
    Steve, PM sent............thats awsome. I used to have classic sports but they removed it when I didn't update the package. Again thanks for nice reply steve................rob
    1964 Topps Football
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Just a thank you to Nathan for the 1983 Topps #36 Walter Payton PSA 8.

After I get one or two more Payton's I will open up a register.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
    Can't wait to see you in the registry Mark! I also would like to thank Wondo who sent me a PSA 8 1984 7-11 disc!
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    I always love to see my name in print. image

Nathan,
    you are welcome.

John
    Wondo

Does anyone know anything about these? I didn't bid but I wonder if the sellers claim is legit. Would PSA ever grade something like this?
    Payton Sears
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • I just want to welcome aboard all the new Payton collector's to the club!! As the owner of the second finest set let me tell you that you are in for a great adventure in building this set!! I've had a blast building this set over the last 3 years. There is such a great variety of cards, stickers, and oddballs that it makes for a great challenge. Many cards can be picked up in psa-10 quality for a pretty cheap price although some stickers and oddball cards make it such a challenge in ANY grade. You'll find some good people collecting the Payton set, without Steve B my set wouldn't be close to what it is today. He is also the most knowlegdable person on Payton and Payton cards I have ever talked to. Thanks Steve!

Watching "Sweetness" as a kid has given me some great memories and influenced me so much as I got into sports growing up. The man was all class in every way. That what made the Master Payton set my first set and my biggest priority in collecting.

Good luck everyone!

Mike

• << <i>Does anyone know anything about these? I didn't bid but I wonder if the sellers claim is legit. Would PSA ever grade something like this?
    Payton Sears >>

The item is real, and the claims are legit (although I can't speak for the mint claim). It is the same size as the Marketcom poster cards from 1978-1982 (5x8"), and all are pretty sweet looking. Actually, I've found a couple of the Marketcom cards to be as rare or rarer than the Sears version. Unfortunately, all of them are too big even for the supersized slabs from PSA, but I've stashed away a few of each just in case they ever do get a larger slab.
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Hey Rock,

I will be registering my set over the weekend. I have a 1983 sticker (from you) and a PSA 9 McDonalds card. My rookie card is STILL at PSA on my 6 freebe grades for my renewal
    Thanks for the info on the Sears card! I will have to add one to my collection before PSA starts grading them and the price goes up. Farvefan post the results of your Payton when you get it! Mine is a 6image But at least it is centered nicely!
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Thank you for collecting my cards!
    Just got back from some training for my upcoming deployment and wanted to see how everyone on the Payton set boards was. Big thanks to Mike and Nathan for helping me with my set. I just picked up a 83 topps #24 sticker in a PSA 7. Im excited about it. My kids are enjoying it as well. Just wanted to check in............Rob
    1964 Topps Football
    Thanks for checking in Rob! Hopefully the training will help keep you safe! I just picked up a couple of cards today from Ebay stores. I got a 1984 Topps IR PSA 9 & a 1986 Topps Sticker w/ Everson Walls PSA 8. I paid $10 each. If anyone has any Payton items for sale or trade please post them.
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
    I have a 1976 Crane Walter Payton PSA 10 available.

If anyone's interested, please PM or e-mail me an offer.

Mike
    There are a few PSA graded Waddington cards on the bay. The price seems too high for 8's (& a 9) on a card with round corners. I wonder if the seller reads these boards and heard we may be after themimage
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Got a couple of raw's...Payton '77 & '78.....if any interest?...imageimage
    If anyone is in need of a 1987 Topps UK Payton Gregm13 has one for sale in this thread. Payton UK I bought one from him also.
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
    Monday night a 1987 Ace Fact Pack PSA 10 sold for $131.09! Hopefully one of you guys won it. From what I understand it is a pretty rare card.
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Im really glad to see Walter get some attention on the boards, I am not registered in the master set but I do have a basic set registered and it is alot of fun (except the 85 topps #33 in PSA 9) Who knows maybe I will just try the master set. I have a few doubles if anyone has an interest.

1978 Topps #200 Walter Payton PSA 8
    1982 Topps #302 Walter Payton PSA 9
    1983 Topps #36 Walter Payton PSA 9
    1984 Topps #228 Walter Payton PSA 8

PM if interested and good luck on your sets!

Chris
    This weekend at a mall show I picked up a 1981 Bears Police Walter Payton card. I paid $15 for it. Hopefully it will grade an 8. As I near the 50% mark on the set it is getting harder to pick up cards already graded at good prices.
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
    Awsome to see such nice cards. I am going to get ahold of greg for the other UK if its still available..................rob
    1964 Topps Football
    Rob, sorry I didn't update the post but I got a PM from Greg and he is sold out of the UK Paytons. I told him if he has any Payton items to post them in here. He usually has a ton of good football stuff available!
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Rob.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    I just bought a 1986 Bears McDonalds Black PSA 8 from board member dontippet. Nice card and he also has a Psa 9 available if anyone is interested. Nice card but I wish PSA made nicer holders for these cards. The cards have too much room to slide around even in the "Card Condom".
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
    How many McDonalds cards of Payton were made? Im thinking there may be different color variations. Im I right?

I do remember getting those cards at Mcdonalds but at that time I didn't think anything about it and probably threw them away with the empty fry box. Ain't that how it always goes........
    1964 Topps Football
  • BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    If anyone needs a psa 8 1987 Topps Walter Payton 1000 Yard Club # 7, I have one for $4 delivered.

Just PM.

Brian