Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

guess the grade? UPDATE!!

well i sent the card in to bgs 2 day service and i got the email saying order has been shipped..so i then go to the bgs site to see what grade i got and sure enough the dreaded CARD RESTORED!! boy what a dissapointment. it measured up when compared to the others and the surface looked legit as well? so anyway i check the sellers other items he has sold and bought and i notice he sells graded cards but only graded by gem. so now im guessing the card probally was trimmed. i opened a claim through paypal hopefully i get all my money back. at 100% pos. feedback powerseller i wasn't expecting this. since this was one of the larger purchases i have made i'm pretty bummed.

hey all, looking for some opinions on what you think this card will grade? you think it may have a shot at a 9? sorry for the crappy pic. but it is the one from the auction. i recently bought a complete set of 86 fleer off ebay and now just waiting for it to show up.

[image]

Comments

• Options
    7- Top left corner looks soft.
  • Options
    Looks pretty clean, probably a solid 8. Well centered!

How much you pay for the set...if you don't mind me asking.
    Trying to complete 1960, '61 and '68 Topps baseball sets...raw
  • Options
    trimmed - left edge
  • Options
    i got a complete set minus the stickers for 785.00 shipped. you think thats a fair price?
  • Options

<< <i>trimmed - left edge >>

really. you think so? i hope not when it arrives i'll be able to tell.. i paid through paypal with my credit card so i have a little protection.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Ugh, possibly trimmed, as psafan says, left side.

From the scan, it looks like the left edge isn't perfectly straight, and kinda curves in ever-so-slightly towards the white area, then goes back out.

If you've got a photo editing program, copy a horizontal cross section of the card up around the top border, then drag that layer down all the way to the bottom. It'll show the slight curve.

It's possible that the card is just slightly warped and showing up kinda odd in the scan, but I'd be nervous.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    To me it looks like the right side is trimmed
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    you are all wrong. It is his mustache that is trimmed.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    I don't think the card is trimmed. In fact, I think it's very clean pending
    no surface flaws. The corners look great, and I don't see any white on the
    corners. It looks like a solid 9 to me. The card looks squared enough unless
    it's just a tad bit slanted place in your scanner. Good luck to you.

• Options
    EagleEye.. Thanks for the encouraging words!! i hope you right. since i don't have it in hand i can't be 100% but it should be here any time now.
  • Options
    My guess is a 8 due to the slight crooked cut and corners
  • Options
    since i don't have it in hand

oops, thought it was in your possession.
    Regardless, keep us updated. GL
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    A while back, I had an OJ Simpson rookie that I worried might be a fake. I sent it in to PSA, they said PSA 9. So, what do I know.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    ebayaddictebayaddict Posts: 232 ✭✭
    Straight 8....................
    "You must understand the difference in things that are similar, and the similarity of things that are different"

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks ok to me as far as it looking trimmed goes, the outline helps
  • Options
    These always worry me, Compiled by Envoy.
    http://sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?t=199807
    Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I say the card is legit, untrimmed, and has a 50/50 chance at coming back a 9.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Counterfeit, the fleer premier flag color is wrong.
  • Options
    The flag should be a different color than the bar. It should be more of a Mustard yellow. Here is an example of a Counterfeit Jordan side by side with a legit fleer card. Look at the flag logos.

Here is a blow up of a legit Flag.

A Counterfeit flag.

And the flag from the Jordan you purchased.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i'm going to go with allen on this and say it's not legit.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    There are a number of different kinds of fakes. For instance, look at the "23" on Allen's example- clearly a different card than the one dizzle bought, and also a different fake than the one in envoy's post.

I still say it's real. I found dizzle's auction and from the pictures, you really can't tell if the flag is a different shade on some of them. Here's the Wilkins:

• Options
    cd... i agree the pic is much clear than the one allen and envoy are reffering to. its not as grainy also on the counterfeit fleer logo allen showed the yellow strip that says "premier" has a blue line where the for fork is mine does not judging by the colors and how the pic is not grainy i say real...but we will see
  • Options
    here's a pic of mine side by side with allens mines on the left fake on the right

[image]
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Allens fake, is it just me, or does Jordan's left arm (without the ball) look ridiculously bulged?
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>Counterfeit, the fleer premier flag color is wrong. >>

Exactly what I was going to say. I really don't think that card is real. Sorry.

Here is a link to an article I did on counterfeit Jordan's.

I see Rich posted it without a link. (Thanks Rich)

SCF - Counterfiets - Jordan & More

Here are some links to beckett as well, some of the links in my original post don't work any longer.

Fleer Logo

Here is a real MJ

..and a fake (Albeit blurry) The logo isn't the only way to tell.

Each highlighted point is described in detail here:
    The front of the card -
    1. The Fleer Logo - The easiest thing to spot with the naked eye, though not a guarantee so look at other things as well.
    A. The turn-down on the banner should be a darker orange color than the yellow part that "Premier" is printed in. There are fakes with a darker orange so use other guidelines as
    well.
    B. Also notice the red crown...on the real card the points are quite sharp, the word "Fleer" is more sharp and doesn't seem to have the fuzzy edges it also is a different font. The
    real one is quite sharp with sharp corners on the letters vs a more "bubble-like" font. The color is also a bolder red.

2. The red and blue color on the border should have a definite separation. Notice the fake card has a "blurry" effect. Also notice how deep the color is on the real card and how bold the colors are.

3. The "Chicago" on MJ's jersey - Notice how blurry the Chicago is, it's sometimes noticed on the fakes that the dot over the letter "i" looks attached to the name as opposed tot he real card where there is a noticeable separation. it also will appear that the loop in the letter "o" is closed off

4. The Nameplate - Notice the difference in the color blue here. almost a dark blue vs. a baby blue.
    You'll also notice that the name, team, position all is more "blurry" than a real card. The font looks more "bubbly" on the fake than on the real card and the corners on the letters aren't near as sharp on the counterfeit. (similar to the "Fleer Crown in #1A)

5. The black borders - This same technique, will work on all but the most sophisticated counterfeits. If you have a loupe/magnifying glass, take a look at the black printed lines. In printing, ink is laid on a plate and then put onto the stock, it is not "printed in dots" like most consumer printers do it. (dot-matrix/bubble-jet).
    What you will notice under magnification (see the beckett article for a good example of this) is that the black line is not a solid black line, but rather a bunch of small black dots put together to make line. If it's not solid, it's a print and therefore, it's a fake. A 100% dead giveaway.

On to the back of the card - just in case you're still not convinced it's real or fake.
    6. The Bulls Eyes-On the real card, you can see the separation between red and white..the bulls eyes on a genuine card, will be "open". You may need a loupe to see it definitively, but there should be a white pupil in the logo.

7. The back coloring - notice how pink the back is on the real card, vs a more faded pink, almost peach color on the counterfeit. This is true on the top half as well. bold red vs. faded almost pink color.

8. The copyright (C) and restrictred (R) trademark logos - On the real card, the (R) and (C) should stay entirely in the pink at the bottom of the card and the (C) should align with the text "1986 Fleer ..." On the fake, the (R) is half on the pink, half in the white border. On many fakes, not this one though, the (C) will be half off as well, similar to the (R)

9. NBA Properties Logo - You should be able to read the text "NBA" and the text around the ball with the naked eye. On the fake, it's a blur that just sorta looks like the logo, but it's not readable.

10. The Fleer Crown again - notice the font of the word fleer, you can also make out the (R) that was printed on the real card, the word fleer also stands out against the blue crown vs being a very weak presentation on the fake.
  • Options

<< <i>In Allens fake, is it just me, or does Jordan's left arm (without the ball) look ridiculously bulged? >>

saw that too. must be the bonds variation... fake and bloated
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    envoy, the point I was trying to make was that I don't think the guy's scanner picks up the change in color all that well. Look at the Dominique Wilkins pic from the same auction.
  • Options
    Oh and a dead giveway, without a loupe, is to look at the copyright logo on the back. If it's off the pink and into the white border, it's a definite fake. Not all fakes have this flaw, but all that have this flaw are fakes... Most on ebay do and it's a dead giveaway.
  • Options
    <<saw that too. must be the bonds variation... fake and bloated>>>

Can't wait for the next whipping boy. The Bonds stuff is getting very tiresome. BTW, speaking of Bonds, don't forget to watch the replays of those two monster HRs tonight. image
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    i've been whipping him since 1987 image it's actually not as fun these days
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options

<< <i>envoy, the point I was trying to make was that I don't think the guy's scanner picks up the change in color all that well. Look at the Dominique Wilkins pic from the same auction. >>

The flag can be a tough one from scans. Which is why I pointed out some of the other more obvious flaws with the fakes that don't require color matching or a loupe. Holding it in your hand makes life much easier...but good scans can easily tell the story.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Thnaks for the good post! I got burned on a few fake HUll RC's back in the day. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>envoy, the point I was trying to make was that I don't think the guy's scanner picks up the change in color all that well. Look at the Dominique Wilkins pic from the same auction. >>

The flag can be a tough one from scans. Which is why I pointed out some of the other more obvious flaws with the fakes that don't require color matching or a loupe. Holding it in your hand makes life much easier...but good scans can easily tell the story. >>

so judging by just the scan what besides the fleer logo leads you to believe. the one i purchased is a fake?
  • Options
    very good stuff, envoy98. Very helpful. Hopefully, dizzle is still alive.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options

<< <i>very good stuff, envoy98. Very helpful. Hopefully, dizzle is still alive. >>

very well alive i just posted before you ..i don't know i just don't see it?? i have owned a few jordan rc's and have seen 4 different versions of fakes as well.. and i feel its a legit card i'm aware of all the different counterfeits as well as the signs of the fakes and i don't see it in this one.
  • Options
    It's always tough to tell from scans, especially without pics of the back. I am very leery of the one you purchased, I hope I'm wrong though. If you can get a scan of the back, that would help. Also, keep in mind that the seller can easily scan a real Jordan and send you a fake one. When I was moderating over on SCF, I can't tell you how many times that happened. Although it's more surprising how many people will just scan the fake ones and sell them. Most guys that had purchased an obvious fake, sat and argued with me that it wasn't a fake...I can tell you, I don't think I was wrong once. Yours, I'm not 100% certain, but part of that is the scan. It might be the reason the background looks grainy. As for Allens scan, I hadn't seen a fake with such a bad "23" before. That is a new one for me.

At any rate, when you get it, if you want to post higher res scans of the front and back, I can be of more help. Shoot me a pm when you get it if you'd like and I'd be happy to take a look at it.
  • Options

<< <i>It's always tough to tell from scans, especially without pics of the back. I am very leery of the one you purchased, I hope I'm wrong though. If you can get a scan of the back, that would help. Also, keep in mind that the seller can easily scan a real Jordan and send you a fake one. When I was moderating over on SCF, I can't tell you how many times that happened. Although it's more surprising how many people will just scan the fake ones and sell them. Most guys that had purchased an obvious fake, sat and argued with me that it wasn't a fake...I can tell you, I don't think I was wrong once. Yours, I'm not 100% certain, but part of that is the scan. It might be the reason the background looks grainy. As for Allens scan, I hadn't seen a fake with such a bad "23" before. That is a new one for me.

At any rate, when you get it, if you want to post higher res scans of the front and back, I can be of more help. Shoot me a pm when you get it if you'd like and I'd be happy to take a look at it. >>

ok sounds good..when it arrives i will update and post some better pics.
  • Options
  • Options
    at PRO grading
  • Options
    My jordan looks funny because it moved while on the scanner. It took me a minute to figure why the arm and numbers looked that way. I will rescan.
  • Options
    This is the Jordan when he is not soaring through the air while on my scanner, though it did make his arms look jacked.
  • Options
    well ups just dropped off the set..the jordan is 100% authentic. it measures up as well so i'm gonna send it in my guess probally a 7. i still have to go through the rest of the set and see if there is anything else grade worthy and will post pics if i find any..for now heres a pic of the jordan with my scanner

[image]
  • Options
    Great! There is a little more noticeable white this time
    than the initial scan. Flag and the word Premier are clear and looks great.
    I think you can probably still pull an 8 on it. Good luck.
  • Options
    thanks!! yeah i would be happy with a 8 we'll see how it goes. so far going through the set lots of really sharp cards just oc.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great! There is a little more noticeable white this time
    than the initial scan. Flag and the word Premier are clear and looks great.
    I think you can probably still pull an 8 on it. Good luck. >>

However, with a cleaner scan, the corners look just a tad softer... I say easily a 7 with a shot at an 8.

Good luck image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    OK, all of you who said it was fake owe me $5.

Glad it worked out for you dizzle, although I'd be a little pissed because it looks like the seller might have photoshopped the corners to take the white out, or at least manipulated the tint of the picture to put it in a favorable light. Regardless, the centering is awesome and you got a good deal. I think it still could be an 8, but if it's a 7 it would bring hi-end 7 money because most of them are OC.

Lee
  • Options
    Thanks. Lee..yeah i agree about the pic. I should have asked for a single scan of the card with a dark background or something but i found the auction just minutes after being listed and thought someone might pick it up if i don't..i may of jumped the gun but the card does have great centering. overall it was a pretty nice set there was a dead centered johnny moore #76 thats razor sharp but has a big print dot. which is too bad thats cards a pretty tough one in high grade..
  • Options
    updated results on first page.
  • Options
    Man, that sucks. I hope you get your money back.
    He should recoup your submission fee as well.