Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1971-D Ike, RDV-006 (FEP)

2»

Comments

• Options
    If you go to the www.ikegroup.org and click on "Articles" you'll soon come to my short piece on the FEV which concludes with my guestimate of fair values for the FEV in various grades in various TPG holders.

We are in the process of moving that table to the Price List and AMiller is correct that registration on the site (no big deal, it's free and we're not marketing email addresses and the like, LOL!) is required for access to the Price List.

The dramatic FEV DDO comes with and without a strong DDR which is similar if not identical to the marker reverse of the 71-S BS SPL. Then there is another DDO as illustrated by erroid.

I have no doubt that the available mintage of the FEV is in the range of 250,000 to 500,000, based on the totality of FEVs the IKE GROUP has found against roughly how many 71-D's we've searched through.

What's very curious is this number implies 5, maybe 10 FEV dies, but the totality of actually Doubled Die FEV's is somewhere between 1% and 5%. Lee has had good luck finding DD FEV's at 6% of his total haul, but all of the IKE GROUP members combined are somewhere between 1 and 2%. I've found 3 out of 150.

I've written about this connundrum and proposed it may have to do with the Philly Mint conducting major test runs, like 100 die pairs, on the basis of which Gasparro decided the FEV reverse was not suitable for circulation Ikes. Then, when Denver was screaming at the Mint in 1971 "Send us Ike dies, we want to get started!", Philly shipped them a box of FEV and common obverse pairs which Denver went through quite quickly as most were well used.

This convoluted and hypothetical account explains the over-abundance of VLDS FEV and the scarcity of the several DD FEV's.

It is certainly possible that there are a million more FEV's stored in a thousand bags in mid-west banks or by wealthy secretive collectors, the minimum number required to place the hub-doubled FEV's into numeric perspective but that explanation has no concrete support.

By the way, we know with considerable certainty that the FEV was the first Ike minted at Denver, in the 7 old hand-fed single-chamber presses normally used to strike Denver gold medals, probably for 1-2 weeks beginning July 6, until the big dual-chamber Columbia presses were ready to go which is the time frame we think the common reverse dies were shipped to Denver.

Sorry to prattle on at such lengths. If you're looking for serious punishment, tackle our web site and its dozens of articles to say nothing of a brand new but already interesting Forum. Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    To add a little to what ModernDollarNut has said......

With the FEV being minted in the hand-fed single-chamber presses, errors are quite scarce.
    However, be on the lookout for a grease-filled FEV. At least one die has quite a bit of grease on both the
    obverse and the reverse for a while.
    There are also a few clipped FEV Ikes out there with a 3-5% clip.

Happy Hunting!
    Brian

I Love image Variety Error Ikes! image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To add a little to what ModernDollarNut has said......

With the FEV being minted in the hand-fed single-chamber presses, errors are quite scarce.
    However, be on the lookout for a grease-filled FEV. At least one die has quite a bit of grease on both the
    obverse and the reverse for a while.
    There are also a few clipped FEV Ikes out there with a 3-5% clip.

Happy Hunting!
    Brian

I Love image Variety Error Ikes! image >>

I still remember that FEV clipper you outbid me on Brian!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    <<I still remember that FEV clipper you outbid me on Brian! >>

I sure could have gotten it for a lot cheaper if you hadn't spotted it!image

I'll still trade it for a clipped 72-P Type 2....image

Happy Hunting!
    Brian

I Love image Variety & Error Ikes! image
  • Options

<< <i><<I still remember that FEV clipper you outbid me on Brian! >>

I sure could have gotten it for a lot cheaper if you hadn't spotted it!image

I'll still trade it for a clipped 72-P Type 2....image >>

Like I've got one of those to trade..................... image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Keep lookin'....you'll find one sooner or later.
    'Gotta be easier to find than a Prototype!image

Brian
  • Options

<< <i>Keep lookin'....you'll find one sooner or later.
    'Gotta be easier to find than a Prototype!image

Brian >>

I don't know Brian. That was one that nobody else saw whereas everybody see's them clippers.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    <<That was one that nobody else saw whereas everybody see's them clippers.>>

Lee, Good point!!

Here is the Grease-filled die FEV. Very "deep" and narrow grease-line next to the rim
    all the way around on the obverse. It is VERY late die-state with the REV (Re-Entry Vehicle)
    being non-existent.

Happy Hunting!
    Brian

I Love image Error & Variety Ikes! image
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday I cherrypicked an FEV from a B&M while on vacation.

Wife was none too happy about being in a coin shop on vacation. image

It appears to be MS63 in bad light and I had to pony up a whopping $2.90 + Ohio tax for it.

I can't wait to get it in good light back at home.

S
  • Options

Of all the FEV's I have, only one clearly shows the REV.

There are many which are very LDS and mushy but none as clear as this one.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Lee, that is the nicest I've seen. All my high grade FEVs are LDS/VLDS. if you have a good photo of the whole coin it would be great to see.

Aaron
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the FEV!!! I have been fortunate enough to have found 15 of them over the last year, including 8 from a single dealer's table at a show. I submitted almost all of them to ICG, and most came back MS-64. Those sold on eBay in the $30-$40 range. I was also fortunate enough to cherry one of the DDO/DDR coins, which was also graded MS-64 by ICG (they do not recognize the DDR- they believe it to be a master DDR), and it sold for $100. Definitely worth looking for, and a cool variety to boot!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>Lee, that is the nicest I've seen. All my high grade FEVs are LDS/VLDS. if you have a good photo of the whole coin it would be great to see.

Aaron >>

Photobucket appears to be hosed up or else I'd post it Aaron!

The coin itself is an ex-ICG MS64 which crossed to PCGS as an MS64. The Earth is the absolute best strike I have ever seen and beats myy MS66's to death!
    The coin has a "haze" over the Eagle and on the bust on the obverse which is a little distracting.

I think you'll be able to see a bit of a "railroad" rim once I can get the picture to post.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Here you go Aaron:

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Have any market prices for FEP 71-D's been updated lately?
  • Options
    No and its being referred to a FEV (Friendly Eagle Variety) instead of FEP (Friently Eagle Pattern) as it was initially announced in the Numismatist.

PCGS and NGC have still not recognized this particular coin (which is in fact a true Variety) but then it took them nearly 15 years to recognize the 1972 Type 2 so we're still way ahead of the game!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Hmmm. I wonder if, when the Eisenhower Presidential Dollar comes out and Varieties are found, if the top TPG's will begin to recognize some of the IKE Dollar Varieties such as the FEV? image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm. I wonder if, when the Eisenhower Presidential Dollar comes out >>

,,,,,,, I hadn't even thought about IKE on the Presidential Dollars. I will have to get me a few of those,,,,, image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    ttt

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    StewStew Posts: 1,002

<< <i>Of all the FEV's I have, only one clearly shows the REV.

There are many which are very LDS and mushy but none as clear as this one. >>

Same ballpark as you 19LYDS here in the midwest. very few where you can see the Re-Entry Vehicle
    many that are mushy late die state.
    Thought it was a good time to bring this thread back. It has been awhile and the observations made
    by you, DRG, Gandyhai, ModernDollarNut,Bushmaster8, Segoja,Grandam and others make for some very educational
    reading. and was wondering if there was anymore information since the last bump to this thread that could be added
    The thread itself could become a book on the subject of the 71-D RDV-006

Editimage oops bad keyboard day Thanks GrandAm

Terry
  • Options

<< <i>wondering if there was anymore information since the last bump to this thread that could be added >>

I don't think any of the following overlap with what has been stated above:

FEV's have been found with two different D/D RPM's.

It has been determined that Wexler's DDO-001/DDR-001 is an FEV.

Wexler's DDO-002 has been found paired with an FEV reverse.

At least three different reverse die crack varieties have been discovered.

Some FEV's are paired with an abraded peg leg R obverse.

• Options

<< <i>Some FEV's are paired with an abraded peg leg R obverse. >>

Of which................................I have ZIP!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Besides Wexler's 1971-D DDO-001 and DDO-002 being FEV's,......

We also have the 71-D/D WRPM-002 and WPRM-003 being FEV's.

Throw in a couple of FEV's with clipped planchets, Talon Heads and Struck Thru Grease errors and you can
    come up with a lot of FEV Sub-Variety DIVA's.

Happy Hunting!
    Brian

I Love image DIVA & Error Ikes! image
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

I figured I would bring one of my favorite post back to life, very well done article and pictures.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old thread indeed.... Good review though, and since this was originally back when I was full time employed (in the PNW), I missed it then and even the resurrection which was during my retirement/relocation upheaval. So now, I must check my Ike's for FE's ....Oh well, maybe on a rainy day,...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2019 2:26PM

@DRG said:
    I thought I would bring this thread back and see what new is happening.

Are people looking for these?

Are you finding them?

@Texast said:
    I figured I would bring one of my favorite post back to life, very well done article and pictures.

Thanks for bringing it back. I just happened to have all my '71-D Ikes out of the safety deposit boxes in order to sell them. I'm pulling out Gems and varieties. Gems go for grading, varieties back in the box, and I'm shipping off everything else wholesale.

I found only two of these in the rolls but I found three others that were packaged up as singles. I always picked up singles if they were Gem or looked different.

I guess you could say most RDV 6's come as singles. ;)

By the way three of these are very nice MS-64's or higher and two are chBU.

It's a great variety by the by. It's easily spotted and I guess that's how I had so many singles of it.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

As usual I'm late to the party. I saw this variety back in '71 but just never paid much attention to it.

This is a great thread. I'll read it more carefully later.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

The quickest and easiest "tell" for the FEP(RDV-006) is the "Eye Lashes" below the middle crater. This tell is even visible in most circulated specimens. As to rarity, as with all Ikes, there is condition rarity in the high grades, In examining 17 1971-D uncirculated rolls, three specimens were found but the highest grade would probably be MS 64.

@Blackhawk - Thanks, Nice Post, Nice responses, Nice article.

unus multorum

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file