Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a contemporary counterfeit.........

Should weigh 6.25g

Just don't see many of these image
Cam-Slam 2-6-04
3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
4 "YOU SUCKS"
Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
Seated Halves are my specialty !
Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
(1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image

Comments

• Options
    Coin Type: Barber Head Half Dollar - .50¢
    Genuine Weight: 12.5 grams
    Counterfeit’s Weight: 9.8 grams

I have several more counterfeits on my website, see link in Sig.
    Stop Motion
    ANA - J-3139215
    SPMC - J-12338
    McDCCC - Charter Member

Announcing: The Numismatic Enquirer - Website
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Coin Type: Washington Quarter Dollar - .25¢
    Genuine Weight: 5.7 grams
    Counterfeit’s Weight: 8.5 grams
    imageimage
    ANA - J-3139215
    SPMC - J-12338
    McDCCC - Charter Member

imageimageimage
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Why don't the idiots just make the counterfeit ones out of silver???? Is it that hard?

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why don't the idiots just make the counterfeit ones out of silver???? Is it that hard? >>

The intent is to spend not to deceive for numismatic value. Silver would make these counterfeits pointless.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why don't the idiots just make the counterfeit ones out of silver???? Is it that hard? >>

The intent is to spend not to deceive for numismatic value. Silver would make these counterfeits pointless. >>

ANA - J-3139215
    SPMC - J-12338
    McDCCC - Charter Member

imageimageimage
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

The contemporty counterfeits here were intended only to pass in circulation, not to fool collectors. It was cheaper to use lesser quality metals....thats the point.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Ok, was thinking on a semi-key/key date/classic coin scenario......sorry for the confusion.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    My Icon.....

• Options
    Tjis is a Vespasian Roman silver forgery, Colchester Museum said it was a contemporary forgery, 72 to 79 AD. Improper reverse and low weight.
    You can see the off metal core in a few spots.
    Dug in Colchester England Oct 06.

Chicago Ron
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageimage

Magnets love this coin!
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copper, with traces of gold plating remaining:

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crude contemporary (barbaric) counterfeit used by colonists for trade with native indians ca. 1800

• Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool and interesting thread. TwoKopeiki and Pistareen - do the coins you posted have any collectable value now? Isn't there a market for these...especially the colonial era contemporary counterfeits? I would think so because each seems to have an interesting story.
  • Options
    PocketEasyTreasures......I would not think yours is a counterfeit....in fact, yours is legal tender. It may be copper plated, but it is still legal....or am I incorrect?
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool and interesting thread. TwoKopeiki and Pistareen - do the coins you posted have any collectable value now? Isn't there a market for these...especially the colonial era contemporary counterfeits? I would think so because each seems to have an interesting story. >>

There are a few collectors, specializing in counterfeits. Plus there are certain areas of collecting, like Spanish Colonials, or Mexican Cap'n'Ray series, where knowledge of counterfeits is essential if you want to be able to identify authentic pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>There are a few collectors, specializing in counterfeits. Plus there are certain areas of collecting, like Spanish Colonials, or Mexican Cap'n'Ray series, where knowledge of counterfeits is essential if you want to be able to identify authentic pieces. >>

Good to know...thanks. image
  • Options
    It hard to beat a good old fashioned reeded edge dollar.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I'd cherrypicked a '16-S with no F...when I listed it on eBay, I got a bunch of emails explaining that the coin was counterfeit, so I stopped the auction. If you look at the buffalo's belly, he's a lot thinner than on a real nickel. There were a few other dates made with this reverse die as well. This is listed in the Pope abraded die book as a counterfeit...

--Christian

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    OK - sorry won't post any more counterfeits.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

<< <i>do the coins you posted have any collectable value now? Isn't there a market for these...especially the colonial era contemporary counterfeits? >>

Yes. The piece I posted sold at auction for $218,500!

It's an utterly unique coin, something I discovered unattributed in the Eliasberg collection before it sold -- a circulating cast counterfeit 8 escudos made in Baltimore by famed silversmith Standish Barry. Just like Brasher's "Lima Style" doubloon, it imitates a cob-style 8 escudos and features Barry's smithy stamp.

Read more here.

Also, though I'm not the original poster and don't want to be the snooty Forum Police, some of the later posts to this thread show modern counterfeits, not contemporary counterfeits. Contemporary counterfeits are those made contemporary to the circulating life of the coin, meant to fool someone in commerce, not made for collectors or to fool numismatists. I prefer the term "circulating counterfeits" since it's more descriptive.

And yes, there is an active if small community of folks who collect these things.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>do the coins you posted have any collectable value now? Isn't there a market for these...especially the colonial era contemporary counterfeits? >>

Yes. The piece I posted sold at auction for $218,500!

It's an utterly unique coin, something I discovered unattributed in the Eliasberg collection before it sold -- a circulating cast counterfeit 8 escudos made in Baltimore by famed silversmith Standish Barry. Just like Brasher's "Lima Style" doubloon, it imitates a cob-style 8 escudos and features Barry's smithy stamp. >>

Picking my jaw up off the floor now...image

Thanks for the information. This is very interesting. image
  • Options
    218,000.00!!!!!

Geeze, and I thought my fake Morgan was something.

Alex in Alaska
    Collecting Morgans in Any Grade
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I pulled this one out of my junk box, that was about to sell on the BST. I was always curious about this piece and thought it looked strange, and I'm glad my assumption was correct.

It's a rare counterfeit Barber Quarter:
    1909-S Barber Quarter counterfeit
    1909-S Reverse
    I wish the obverse was in better focus, but you get the idea.

What's interesting is that this is an extremely high quality coin that seems to have been circulated and got damaged. It weighs approximately 6.4 grams, or 1.5 grams heavier than a normal Barber Quarter. I have never seen or heard of another counterfeit Barber Quarter, but I'm sure there are more out there.

Please tell me what you think.
  • Options
    Stone...... shouldn't the weight be 6.25g ????
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Stone...... shouldn't the weight be 6.25g ???? >>

Yes, missed the decimal place by one spaced. Correction, should be ".15g heavier than a Barber Quarter".

HugeGut, thanks for the 1902 quarter. This thread is quite benefiacial I believe and a great resource when searching what counterfeits can look like.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    I know of at least one person who collects circulating counterfeit Barber 25c by date and mint. Barber 50c and Barber 10c too. His latest aquisition: a circulating counterfeit 1913-S Barber 25c.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waste of effort in my opinion....Should have least made a 32d out of it.
    bob
    image[/S]
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭
    Here's a counterfeit Barber 10c. Seems amazing they could pass enough of this stuff to make the effort worthwhile. Guess the dollar did go a lot further in those days:
    Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Here is a poor Chinese copy of a Seated Dollar.

• Options
    DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭
    Sorry having upload problems:
    Here's a counterfeit Barber 10c. Seems amazing they could pass enough of this stuff to make the effort worthwhile. Guess the dollar did go a lot further in those days:
    Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
  • Options
    slumlord98slumlord98 Posts: 1,180
    From the 'why bother?' category, an 1861 silver 3c.

• Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    False die contemporary counterfeit shield nickel:

I think these are highly collectible, and I'll pay considerably more for a counterfeit than a genuine example.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hofmann claims to have struck the 59 wheatie.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    One of my favorites:

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Credit union president in our area has a well-known Dansco 7070 Type that is strictly counterfeit. Some are crude . . . some simply spectacular (his 1926-S Buffalo with an embossed mintmark is so dangerous it's ridiculous!). As you would expect, the older coins are easier to obtain . . . he's having a tough time with the more modern pieces.

It is stunning to observe . . .draws quite a crowd at local coin shows . . .

Drunner
  • Options
    Love the Coins being posted! image I really like that Shield Nickel!!! image
    ANA - J-3139215
    SPMC - J-12338
    McDCCC - Charter Member

imageimageimage
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one with the full LIBERTY is bogus.

It's good silver and has a clear ring too. The dies are not copied from a real coin either, it seems to have been hand crafted dies.

in 1898 silver was cheap, so it was possible to make full weight silver counterfeits.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Love the Coins being posted! image I really like that Shield Nickel!!! image >>

Thanks! I have several more false die counterfeit shield nickels. They are all crooked looking like the example I posted.
  • Options

My Grandfather gave me this to me. He was a minister and this was found in the collection plate in the mid fifties.
  • Options
    carlkcarlk Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Just picked this one up.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    ?
    ? "Quack, quack...." image
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one I recently bought as real. I sold it later to a board member who collects them.
    I wish I would have kept it, it has a great look to it for a fake.
  • Options
    Love the "1864 CC" the best...These came in a recent collection purchase

Jake Blackman
    blackman.jake@gmail.com
    704-719-6866
  • Options

<< <i>Here's one I recently bought as real. I sold it later to a board member who collects them.
    I wish I would have kept it, it has a great look to it for a fake.
    image >>

I wish you had sold it to me image
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definition of counterfeit according to merriam-webster: made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive

Sorry '64-D Peace doesn't qualify.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file