Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Long Beach - Who was there?

I only talked to one CU member there today. Where was everybody? I had a great day. Lots of dealers dealing with each other. Guess retail starts tomorrow and Saturday. Currency was BIG. I don't recall ever seeing that many tables with so much currency! More graded gold then you could shake a stick out. Just tons and tons of tired looking over priced gold blah. Highlight was the PCGS MS67 Half Dime that started with a 17!!!

Comments

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I was there, but I was busy selling.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    In at 10, out by 1....with little of numismatic interest inbetween.....did see quite a few familiar faces though image
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    More details about the MS67 Half Dime please.

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I was there from 9:30am until 6:30pm and I'll be there all day Friday and for most of Saturday.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    The YN and I were there today. My son spent hours at Anaconda's table dreaming up ways to spend Dad's retirement money!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    I was there from 3-5. I saw Andy Richter and it was by far the highlight.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    I was there with my 15-month old daughter today for about half an hour around 2PM - unfortunately, she wouldn't nap in her stroller, and so that was all the time I could steal. image

Ah well - at least she and I got to spend a wonderful morning together at the Aquarium - way more her speed! image
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was there all day... busy, busy, busy.

The best part was the VAM Geeks lunch across the street at Islands. Yum! The best show 'n tell coin at lunch was an 1893-S Morgan MS63 PCGS. Yum yum!!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was there today. Spent most of the day submitting. I am new at collecting so I don't know how to meet everyone.
    I plan to be there Friday.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I missed lunch - got tied up at the office and didn't arrive until 12:30. Got to chat with a few board members, though - Wayne Herndon, Brandon Kelley (lookin' fit, dude!), Julian, Chris at NEN, Tom Killian... And Mark Feld looking busy and happy.

Chris was good enough to buy some gold from me at fair enough prices that I could afford a couple of additions to the RB Proof IHC collection.

All in all a nice way to play hooky for a few hours - traffic back North sucked, but that is to be expected on the 405 through L.A. at 4PM (or any other time, for that matter).
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spent the entire day there too... Mostly at the Long Beach Coin Club booth setting up a kool exhibit for all to see. Got to meet David Hall at the PCGS table, as well as Steve Contursi at the Rare Coin Wholesalers (RCW) booth. I'll be back tommorrow & Saturday at the (LBCC) tables. Didn't meet anyone from the forum tho...
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was there from about 11 to 4 - see my related post. The only members I saw were Tom Killian, Mark Feld, Wayne Herndon, and my buddy Truthteller. Also said 'hello' to my man @ Heritage, Jim Stoujestyk.

It was a funny show. Wholesale seemed quite busy, retail was quiet. But I went through the place much more quickly than usual. Maybe the add'l currency tables meant fewer coin tables.

Lots of Morgans, Walkers & Moderns, including PFs. Lots of high end Barbers and Liberty Nickels, oddly enough. A handful of nice looking late date Braided Hair Large Cents in PC 5 RB were available. They aren't scarce coins per se, but I've rarely see then at shows.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I was there tomorrow.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I was there from 10:00 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.
    Tom

• Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

I wasn't there but I wish I were. I was told by my "inside man" that there weren't many MPLs. He did hook me up with a good one though. I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on it.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    400-530PM. Got to chat with a few friends. No purchases other than auctions.
    Trime
  • Options
    I was supposed to attend but my plans changed last minute. I had to stay home because we are so swamped with coins at ICG. I'll be at the next long beachimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    HalfsenseHalfsense Posts: 600 ✭✭✭
    As noted above by DeusExMachina, TV and movie personality, the very cordial Andy Richter, was at the Long Beach Expo on Thursday. He and a production crew videotaped about a half dozen interviews for a streaming video project for eBay.

-donn-
    "If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    Some coin.

Any other observations on the show in general?
  • Options
    Had to work all weekend (it's slow right now) so I missed everything hope to go next time.
    Support your local gunslinger, you never know when you'll need him
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some coin.

Any other observations on the show in general? >>

Here are my general observations on the Long Beach show...

Wednesday started off a little bit slow on the wholesale front but then picked up momentum by the afternoon and continued through Thursday. By Friday the wholesale between dealers was strong as it could possibly be. Although nobody considered this show their best show ever, most wholesalers considered the show much stronger than they were expecting. Onsite grading results seemed to be slightly more generous than what they have been at recent shows past.

On the retail side, the attendance on Thursday appeared to be a little bit weak while Friday's attendance, although not as strong as some dealers had hoped for, was much better than it was on Thursday. In contrast to the wholesale dealers, the dealers who relied on retail sales reported moderate to lagging sale volumes throughout most of the show. Public attendance on Saturday was fairly weak in the morning but seemed to pick up somewhat around noon and in the early afternoon hours. Contented with their business volume, many dealers were packed up and ready to leave by early Saturday afternoon.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drove down from SLC with another collector. Just got back, Sunday night 8:00pm. Spent all three days there . . . covered the floor 3 times.

Will write up a report from a collector's perspective perhaps tomorrow. Some interesting observations (IMHO).

Drunner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file