Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which design would you like to see return to circulation?

DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
Which coin design would you bring out of retirement, to be struck in its original denomination, but in modern composition (copper-nickel or copper-plated zinc)?

Even with American bison running around on the occasional five-cent piece in pocket change, I'd like to see a return to the Buffalo nickel of 1913-1938.

Comments

• Options
    Wheat Penny, Buffalo Nickel, Mercury Dime, Standing Liberty Quarter, Walker Half.

"I am sorry you are unhappy with the care you recieved, is their anything I can do for you right now, how about some high speed lead therapy?" - A qoute from my wife's nursing forum

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." – Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None, but I would like to see the mint come up with some inspiring new designs. Part of the appeal of coin collecting for me is to collect the obsolete designs. I think if you started seeing those designs show up in circulation again, it would cheapen those orginal designs. The one benefit would be that some of the original vintage coins would be spent mistakenly as moderns and then plucked out of circulation by us observant collectors.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    I would say my icon pic... but not in today's clad composition... 90% silver or nothing image
    First get the knowledge, then the coins.

imageimage
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I'd like to see the draped bust design on any denomination.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    I'd like to see Elizabeth Jones 1986-W half eagle Liberty gold design used for a new $2 dollar brass coin of the same size.
  • Options
    anything with out dead people on it!
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    None of 'em. Leave the past in the past.

Get some real artists and sculptors to create a coinage for the ages, and let the congresscritters, committees, citizens, and children be damned. Art for art's sake.
  • Options

Liberty Cap (large cent) design.

Draped Bust.

Standing Liberty.

• Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    Peace silver dollar in DCAM
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New art.... leave the old RIP...... but art.. not dead guys... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would bring back the Three Cent Nickel just to mess with people.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any of the Flowing Hair denominations.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    i agree with a few of the others...leave the retired designs alone, find some real artists and get creative. I dont want to see a 2008 mercury dime, wheat penny, buffalo nickel etc..etc..i want to see fresh designs, i mean sheesh, they did it back in the day whats stopping them from getting some talent in there now?
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    I'm with the folks who want something new and artistic, like St Gaudens did in his time. If I had to pick one from the past it would be hands down the Amazonian, which never made it past the pattern stage back then. That was an outstanding design.

John D'.
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Bar Coppers
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    Buffalo Nickel.
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    I agree, if and its a big if.. the U.S. mint could turn out new fresh liberty designs.. I wouldn't want anything reissued.. in fact if I was in charge first thing I would do is hire Philip Nathan to design liberty obverses for all US coinage.

"I am sorry you are unhappy with the care you recieved, is their anything I can do for you right now, how about some high speed lead therapy?" - A qoute from my wife's nursing forum

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." – Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    The High Relief Double Eagle...just to see how those wear down after the years...
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I too would like to see new, original designs come forth but using Liberty and not dead people.

Know what would be an appalling coin to restrike? Try the two cent copper struck with the original design in aluminum. The 200x dates would ice that cake. Shield nickels in aluminum too would be awful.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I too would like to see new, original designs come forth but using Liberty and not dead people. >>

Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    None.

I'd prefer to encourage contemporary sculptors to make new designs, and encourage the mint to produce quality artistic representations, not flat-art cartoons.

RWB
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>None.

I'd prefer to encourage contemporary sculptors to make new designs, and encourage the mint to produce quality artistic representations, not flat-art cartoons.

RWB >>

imageWhen the mint resurects old designs, they never look as good as the originals. The AGE is a perfect example.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I don't want to see ANY old designs return - we've already seen them and if you like them, you should collect them. I'd rather see NEW designs - ones that don't feature dead people.

Eric
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Presidentail dollar!

Oh wait those are supposed to be in circulation now, funny I've never gotten one image
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Is Whitman minting coins now, too?

If you combine Whitman with Heritage, they can truly take over the numismatic universe!

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    LOL... no, no, this was purely conversational, with my Whitman hat set aside for a moment.
  • Options
    PandavabPandavab Posts: 960 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see some more artistic designs. A Lincoln cent or Jefferson nickel design is fine, but when nearly every coin type is a dead president, it gets a little dull. I'd like to see a return of Lady Liberty on some of our coins, and some new designs that look naturally attractive. If I had to pick a set of coins from the past to make a return, I'd probably go with:

Draped Bust Cent
    Buffalo Nickel
    Mercury Dime
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    Walking Liberty Half
    Peace Dollar

I'd pick Morgan dollar, but that set is big enough already. image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>None of 'em. Leave the past in the past.

Get some real artists and sculptors to create a coinage for the ages >>

• Options
    I would like to see one Incuse design used for a collectors series...
    Brian Kuszmar
    Second Generation Coin, Currency and Precious Metals Dealer

Coin, Currency or Bullion Questions?
    Call anytime 954-493-8811
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    The flowing hair cent.

Buffalo Nickel

Bust quarters and half dollars

Trade Dollars the size of the current dollar

Oh and bring back the high relief $10 and $20 Gaudens coins. None of this low relief junk on the current gold eagles. I like the Buffalo $50 though.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Type 1 Buffalo nickel. And when I say Type 1, what I mean is that the design would have to have the same relief and not some dumbed down, easy to manufacture, piss-poor relief design.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    slothman2000slothman2000 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Flying Eagle cent....what a great design...too bad it only lasted three years...
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Flying Eagle cent....what a great design...too bad it only lasted three years... >>

Excellent idea!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file