Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Unofficial All-Time Packers Set Thread:UPDATE!!!

Hi all,

I am a huge Packers fan and have started my All-time Packers set. However, it appears that there are some additions that are needed. So lets all discuss who we think should be added.

Here are some of my suggestions.

Ron Wolf (we could pick one of the Packer Police cards)
Bob Harlan (same as above)
Mike Holmgren (same as above or there were cards from the Proline series)
Ryan Longwell
Darren Sharper
John Anderson
Antonio Freeman

Or should there be a set for members of the Packer HOF??

Jay
Packers Fan for Life
Collecting:
Brett Favre Master Set
Favre Ticket Stubs
Favre TD Reciever Autos
Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
Football HOF Rc's

Comments

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Ecellent topic Jay,

It is important to include coaches and GM's. Hard part is what card. It has to be a widely distributed card. 1992 Proset is a must Holmgren. Wolf is tougher. Police sets were only distributed in Wisconsin, particularly in the Northeastern part of the state. My thoughts are if the player/coach is not in the Green Bay Packer Hall of Fame they can't be in this set. Kinda like the HOF Rookie set. So that rules out Holmgren, Longwell, Sharper, Freeman.

I do have a question since it is the Packer Hall of Fame set shoud we collect the cards when they first were on the Packers? Not just their rookie card. For instance Lynn Dickey has a 1974 Topps card while he was on the Oilers, but his first Packer card is 1977 when he is on the Packers. I like the first Packer card option.

Here is a list of all of the Packer in the Packer Hall of Fame and the year they made it in.

Adderley, Herb 1981
    Aldridge, Lionel 1988
    Anderson, Donny 1983
    Anderson, John 1996
    Atkinson, Jerry 1988
    Barrager, Nate 1979
    Bengtson, Phil 1985
    Bennett, Edgar 2005
    Biever, Vernon 2002
    Bowman, Ken 1981
    Bratkowski, Zeke 1989
    Brault, William L. 1995
    Brock, Charlie 1973
    Brock, Lou 1982
    Brockington, John 1984
    Bruder, Hank 1972
    Brusky, Dr. Eugene 1987
    Buchanon, Willie 1993
    Buck, Cub 1977
    Burke, Wilner 1986
    Caffey, Lee Roy 1986
    Calhoun, George 1978
    Canadeo, Tony 1973
    Carmichael, Al 1974
    Carr, Fred 1983
    Chandler, Don 1975
    Clifford, Jerry 1991
    Cochran, John 1997
    Coffman, Paul 1994
    Comp, Irv 1986
    Cone, Fred 1974
    Craig, Larry 1973
    Currie, Dan 1984
    Dale, Carroll 1979
    Daley, Art 1993
    Darling, Bernard 1970
    Davis, Willie 1975
    Dickey, Lynn 1992
    Dillon, Bobby 1974
    Dilweg, Lavvie 1970
    Douglass, Mike 2003
    Dowler, Boyd 1978
    Dunn, Joseph 1976
    Earp, Jug 1970
    Ellis, Gerry 1994
    Ellis, Ken 1998
    Engebretsen, Tiny 1978
    Evans, Lon 1978
    Ferguson, Howie 1974
    Forester, Bill 1974
    Forte, Bob 1973
    Fritsch, Ted 1973
    Gantenbein, Milt 1972
    Gillingham, Gale 1982
    Goldenberg, Chas. 1972
    Gray, Johnnie 1993
    Gregg, Forest 1977
    Gremminger, Hank 1976
    Hanner, Dave 1974
    Harlan, Bob 2004
    Herber, Arnie 1972
    Hinkle, Clark 1972
    Holland, Johnny 2001
    Hornung, Paul 1975
    Howton, Bill 1974
    Hubbard, Cal 1970
    Hutson, Don 1972
    Irwin, Jim 2003
    Isbell, Cecil 1972
    Jacunski, Harry 1991
    Jankowski, Eddie 1984
    Jeter, Bob 1985
    Joannes, Lee H. 1981
    Johnson, Ezra 1997
    Johnston, Chester 1981
    Jordan, Henry 1975
    Jorgensen, Carl 1976
    Kelly, Dr. Webber 1994
    Knafelc, Gary 1976
    Kostelnik, Ron 1989
    Kramer, Jerry 1975
    Kramer, Ron 1975
    Lambeau, Curly 1970
    Laws, Joe 1972
    Leicht, Fred 1983
    Letlow, Russ 1972
    Lewellen, Verne 1970
    Lofton, James 1999
    Lombardi, Vince 1975
    Mann, Bob 1988
    Majkowski, Don 2005
    Marcol, Chester 1987
    Martinkovic, John 1974
    Mathys, Charley 1977
    McCarren, Larry 1992
    McGee, Max 1975
    McNally, Johnny 1970
    Michalske, Mike 1970
    Miller, Tom 1999
    Monnett, Bobby 1973
    Mulleneaux, Carl 1984
    Murphy, Mark 1998
    Nitschke, Ray 1978
    Olejniczak, Dominic 1979
    Parins, Judge Rob. 1998
    Pitts, Elijah 1979
    Ray, Buford 1973
    Remmel, Lee 1996
    Ringo, Jim 1974
    Robinson, Dave 1982
    Rote, Tobin 1974
    Schneider, Al 1992
    Scott, Ray 2001
    Sharpe, Sterling 2002
    Skoronski, Bob 1976
    Starr, Bart 1977
    Stenerud, Jan 1991
    Svendsen, Earl 1985
    Svendsen, George 1972
    Taylor, Jim 1975
    Teteak, Deral 1987
    Thurston, Fred 1975
    Tinsley, Pete 1979
    Trowbridge, Fred 1984
    Turnbull, Andrew 1977
    Uram, Andy 1973
    Vainisi, Jack 1982
    White, Reggie 2006
    Whittenton, Jesse 1976
    Wildung, Dick 1973
    Williams, Travis 1997
    Wolf, Ron 2000
    Wood, Willie 1977
    Woodin, Whitey 1973

Now, the hard part is finding cards for all of these guys. I have the Master Packer Checklist. Give me a couple of days and I can come up with cards for most of these guys. I am guessing we may be screwed on some of them.

• Options
    I have been thinking of putting together a Packer 1st Round Draft Picks set too.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I agree on that they have to be in a Packer uniform. So you say that the player/coaches for the all time packer set shouldnt be added until they are in the packer HOF?? Or that you would rather have a Packer HOF set in addition to the all time packer set. right now there are members of the all time set that arent in the packer HOF, Favre and Green. though they will be in the near future. i was hoping to get some more players added, as there isnt a definition to the all-time packers set as currently formulated.

If you want to work on a Packer HOF set I will be willing to help you out. We could split the list in half and then exchange when we have come up with the cards. Double check each others work and then submitt it to the ladies.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>I have been thinking of putting together a Packer 1st Round Draft Picks set too. >>

thats not a bad idea but may be kinda of depressing to relive some of those memories. how about a set that is the best pick of that draft year instead. i really dont want to have my tony, the shriking, mandrich card graded. or the vinnie clark etc.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I think I am rambling because I wanted to start this thread months ago.

As for the All-Time Packers set, I meant to say we need to be selective with the users. I like all of your selections except for Freeman. He was good but if you put him in you have to look at Boyd Dowler and Billy Howton too. Other than Freeman I like your list
  • Options
    What about Bruce Clark who left for the CFL in 1981/82?
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    So what it looks like, is that you will be starting a different set, and not making additions to the All-Time Packers set?

It sounds like you have some good ideas, but many of them do not mesh with the standards for the All-Time team sets. This is the same reason there are 2 different Cowboys sets, as there were 2 different ideas for those sets. The All-Time Team sets are reserved for only the all-time great, top of the line players from each team. They were never all inclusive, and all card are considered true rookies from mainstream sets, so the Packer Police cards would not be allowed as they are not mainstream sets.

If you are considering adding the initially listed player to the All-Time Packers set, I would personally vote no on all of them. I don't think any of these players are worthy of sharing spots beside those already in the set. Freeman- 1 Pro Bowl..Sharper-2 Pro Bowls with the Pack..The coaches and GMs, to me, need to be the signature coach of that franchise to be added, and I don't think any of these guys surpass Lambeau or Lombardi...Longwell is ok, but an All-Time Great Packer?

John Anderson would be the closest to being added, mainly because he was selected as a 2nd Team All-Decade player for the Team of the 1980's and he did play 12 seasons in Green Bay...

I think if you are looking to add players like Freeman, Sharper, Longwell, then you might as well start a different set and add the Edgar Bennett, Lynn Dickey and Mark Murphy kind of guys..The All-Time "Great" Team Sets are reserved for HOFers, future HOFers and borderline HOF candidates.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Jason,

i dont think Max Mcgee is a nearly a boderline HOFer and I doubt Green will get much of a whif at the HOF either, he doesnt make your list of 50.

i know your football knowledge is great but i dont think mcgee really fits in the set based on what you said. on your rankings of wr i think freeman is ahead of him.
    42- Antonio Freeman- 29
    43- Max McGee- 28***

i wish there was a more concrete determination of the all time set. maybe it should just be a break up of the HOF RC set.

if i remember correctly, longwell has the scoring record for the packers.

i also know you only collect rookies so you wouldnt be interested in the packer HOF set.

i was trying to bring up some others that may need to be considered.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>

John Anderson would be the closest to being added, mainly because he was selected as a 2nd Team All-Decade player for the Team of the 1980's and he did play 12 seasons in Green Bay...

I think if you are looking to add players like Freeman, Sharper, Longwell, then you might as well start a different set and add the Edgar Bennett, Lynn Dickey and Mark Murphy kind of guys..The All-Time "Great" Team Sets are reserved for HOFers, future HOFers and borderline HOF candidates.

Jason >>

So, what is considered All-Time for each team. Why is it just HOF and borderline HOF? I look at the All - Time Buc's and I see this list of players

LEE ROY SELMON HOF
    DOUG WILLIAMS Not a chance
    JIMMIE GILES Who?
    HUGH GREEN Not HOF material
    JAMES WILDER Not HOF material
    VINNY TESTAVERDE Just played forever
    HARDY NICKERSON Not HOF material
    TONY MAYBERRY Not HOF material
    JOHN LYNCH Maybe
    WARREN SAPP Maybe
    DERRICK BROOKS Good shot
    KEYSHAWN JOHNSON Not HOF material
    SIMEON RICE Not HOF material
    MIKE ALSTOTT maybe

The Bengals have and entire team of good players but no one except for Munuz in the HOF. Only Dillon has a remote shot of getting in, well maybe Anderson

The Bills have
    Joe Cribbs, Steve Tasker, Ruben Brown and Eric Moulds

You get where I am going. These other teams have GREAT players for their team listed in their sets. ARe the Packers punished because they are one of the older teams?

John Anderson was awsome in the 80's he should be in the set. Freeman, not a shot in @% but this set is of GREAT Packers. Not just the HOF and almost HOF

Sorry to vent.

• Options
    the biggest problem is that there are no set rules for these sets. so if someone makes the list first it is what it is. trying to argue with some one that doenst really follow the team will lead nowhere. yes one can compare to the whole NFL but this is an all time team set. not all time position of all decade or anniversary team set.

then in all honesty the all time team sets should only be for HOFers. and only when they get elected should they be included in the set.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    I hope you can add Randy Moss to that set, and I can watch Moss light up the Vikings. Brad Childress has plagued the fan base, including me.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    There's a few packers celebration and all-time sets sold by places like larry fritsch, just get anybody interested in collecting it to agree before you start the set.

Some aren't included in topps sets but are in the lake to lake set, guys like whittendon and gremminger come to mind.

Holmgren has a nice card in the proline series that has him in a packers jacket.

I bet that would be a tough autograph set!!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    The Redskins set has a fair number of not-very-likely HOFers, as well. But any Skins fan worth their salt is likely going to want a Charles Mann or Larry Brown rookie.

Incidentally, anybody who doesn't remember him should track down some film of Jimmie Giles. He was a 4 time Pro Bowler, a big guy with good hands, kind of out of the John Mackey mold, and a precursor to guys like Keith Jackson and Alge Crumpler.
  • Options
    Maybe you took my message the wrong way....You can e-mail PSA and request to have ANY PLAYER ADDED you want. If you want to request John Elway be added to the Packers set, there's nothing stopping you. What PSA will do is send that request as a poll to all other collectors of the set and then go with whatever the majority votes. Same thing for taking players OFF of the set. I stopped collecting these because players were being added (via vote) that I did not agree with, so I simply stopped collecting them...

I was just giving you my opinion, so I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers...lol

But just to make a few comments on some of the guys you named:

DOUG WILLIAMS Not a chance----Has been a HOF Nominee MANY TIMES in the past few years. Check on it.
    JIMMIE GILES Who?---To me, if you haven't heard of the guy, you probably shouldn't comment. Giles went to 4 Pro Bowls in the 80's and has also been a HOF nominee multiple times...Sorry, one of my favorite TE's...
    HARDY NICKERSON Not HOF material...Will be at least a nominee
    JOHN LYNCH Maybe....En route
    WARREN SAPP Maybe..Borderline, but very close..One of the dominant DTs of the last 10 years
    DERRICK BROOKS Good shot...LOCK..100%
    KEYSHAWN JOHNSON Not HOF material...800+ catches..What if he hits 1,000???
    MIKE ALSTOTT maybe...6 Pro Bowls

Steve Tasker...Has been a nominee as a Special Teamer
    Ruben Brown...Just made his 9th Pro Bowl last year..One more and he's almost a lock

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>The Redskins set has a fair number of not-very-likely HOFers, as well. But any Skins fan worth their salt is likely going to want a Charles Mann or Larry Brown rookie.

Incidentally, anybody who doesn't remember him should track down some film of Jimmie Giles. He was a 4 time Pro Bowler, a big guy with good hands, kind of out of the John Mackey mold, and a precursor to guys like Keith Jackson and Alge Crumpler. >>

Awesome that I'm not the only one who loved watching Jimmie Giles in the early Buc years...lol

I guess we all see "borderline" HOFers a little differently is all...To me, its not a guy who makes the final 15 but doesn't get in...A borderline guy is someone who people always wonder why they aren't in the HOF when their name is mentioned...Players that went to multiple Pro Bowls for their team and was considered one of the top players for that franchise during the time they played there. The list of Senior Candidates and guys like Charlie Sanders and Gene Hickerson who just made the HOF are prime examples of "borderline" guys who just finally got their due..

Jason
  • Options
    Jim,

Thanks for the help with the other sets. There is a little know set called Packers Walkers Cleaners, its from 1932. It has a Curly. Lewellen, Herber, Hubbard and others. Getting those would be tough to say the least. Have you ever seen any?? If someone ever gets a Curly and has it graded that would be great to add the all time packer set. Dont see how anyone could vote against it, since he cofounded the team, played and coached it and Lambeau is named after him.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    so the second cowboys set is for all the cowboy RC cards. well that is not like what would be for the packer HOF set either. not everyone who has played for the packers has made the packer HOF. while it seems that everyone that has had a cowboy rc makes the second set.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>so the second cowboys set is for all the cowboy RC cards. well that is not like what would be for the packer HOF set either. not everyone who has played for the packers has made the packer HOF. while it seems that everyone that has had a cowboy rc makes the second set. >>

Gotcha...My point was that a new set was created because the concept was different...If you are wanting to change a set that is already online, it will require you to request the addition, and then have all set participants vote for or against the addition. Both are pretty simple...

Jason
  • Options
    Never heard of the walkers cleaners cards, they would be brutal to find and might keep a poor boy like me from the chase, have to at least have hope for completion! I would much rather see lambeau in the 63 stancraft just to keep the set possible.

Here's some suggestions on the easy ones

Adderley, Herb 1981 1964 philadelphia
    Aldridge, Lionel 1988 1971 topps
    Anderson, Donny 1983 1968 topps
    Anderson, John 1996
    Atkinson, Jerry 1988
    Barrager, Nate 1979
    Bengtson, Phil 1985
    Bennett, Edgar 2005 1992 stadium club
    Biever, Vernon 2002
    Bowman, Ken 1981 1970 topps
    Bratkowski, Zeke 1989 1971 topps?
    Brault, William L. 1995
    Brock, Charlie 1973
    Brock, Lou 1982
    Brockington, John 1984 1972 topps
    Bruder, Hank 1972 he had a 1935 or so diamond matchbook, no regular issue cards as far as I know
    Brusky, Dr. Eugene 1987
    Buchanon, Willie 1993 1974 topps
    Buck, Cub 1977
    Burke, Wilner 1986
    Caffey, Lee Roy 1986 1966 philadelphia
    Calhoun, George 1978
    Canadeo, Tony 1973 1948 exhibit or 1950 bowman
    Carmichael, Al 1974 1954 bowman?
    Carr, Fred 1983 1973 topps
    Chandler, Don 1975 1966 philadelphia
    Clifford, Jerry 1991
    Cochran, John 1997
    Coffman, Paul 1994
    Comp, Irv 1986
    Cone, Fred 1974 1952 bowman
    Craig, Larry 1973 1950 bowman
    Currie, Dan 1984 1959 topps
    Dale, Carroll 1979 1968 topps says packers but has rams uniform I believe, prefer 1969 topps
    Daley, Art 1993
    Darling, Bernard 1970
    Davis, Willie 1975 1964 philadelphia
    Dickey, Lynn 1992 1977 topps
    Dillon, Bobby 1974 1952 bowman shows college uniform but he was a packer
    Dilweg, Lavvie 1970
    Douglass, Mike 2003
    Dowler, Boyd 1978 1961 fleer or 1961 topps
    Dunn, Joseph 1976
    Earp, Jug 1970
    Ellis, Gerry 1994
    Ellis, Ken 1998 1971 topps
    Engebretsen, Tiny 1978
    Evans, Lon 1978
    Ferguson, Howie 1974 1955 bowman
    Forester, Bill 1974 1955 bowman
    Forte, Bob 1973
    Fritsch, Ted 1973 1948 bowman
    Gantenbein, Milt 1972
    Gillingham, Gale 1982 1970 topps
    Goldenberg, Chas. 1972
    Gray, Johnnie 1993
    Gregg, Forest 1977 1960 topps
    Gremminger, Hank 1976
    Hanner, Dave 1974 1954 bowman
    Harlan, Bob 2004
    Herber, Arnie 1972 1935 wheaties
    Hinkle, Clark 1972 1935 chicle
    Holland, Johnny 2001
    Hornung, Paul 1975 1957 topps
    Howton, Bill 1974 1952 bowman
    Hubbard, Cal 1970
    Hutson, Don 1972 1935 wheaties or 1955 topps
    Irwin, Jim 2003
    Isbell, Cecil 1972
    Jacunski, Harry 1991
    Jankowski, Eddie 1984
    Jeter, Bob 1985 1968 topps
    Joannes, Lee H. 1981
    Johnson, Ezra 1997
    Johnston, Chester 1981 if this is swede johnston 1935 chicle
    Jordan, Henry 1975 1961 topps
    Jorgensen, Carl 1976
    Kelly, Dr. Webber 1994
    Knafelc, Gary 1976 1956 topps
    Kostelnik, Ron 1989
    Kramer, Jerry 1975 1959 topps
    Kramer, Ron 1975 1958 topps
    Lambeau, Curly 1970 1963 stancraft
    Laws, Joe 1972
    Leicht, Fred 1983
    Letlow, Russ 1972
    Lewellen, Verne 1970
    Lofton, James 1999 1979 topps
    Lombardi, Vince 1975
    Mann, Bob 1988
    Majkowski, Don 2005
    Marcol, Chester 1987 1973 topps
    Martinkovic, John 1974 1954 bowman
    Mathys, Charley 1977
    McCarren, Larry 1992
    McGee, Max 1975 1959 topps
    McNally, Johnny 1970 1963 postcard or 1963 stancraft
    Michalske, Mike 1970
    Miller, Tom 1999
    Monnett, Bobby 1973
    Mulleneaux, Carl 1984
    Murphy, Mark 1998
    Nitschke, Ray 1978 1963 topps or lake to lake sp
    Olejniczak, Dominic 1979
    Parins, Judge Rob. 1998
    Pitts, Elijah 1979 1968 topps
    Ray, Buford 1973 1948 bowman
    Remmel, Lee 1996
    Ringo, Jim 1974 1955 bowman
    Robinson, Dave 1982 1967 philadelphia
    Rote, Tobin 1974 1950 bowman
    Schneider, Al 1992
    Scott, Ray 2001
    Sharpe, Sterling 2002 1989 score
    Skoronski, Bob 1976 1961 lake to lake
    Starr, Bart 1977 1957 topps
    Stenerud, Jan 1991
    Svendsen, Earl 1985
    Svendsen, George 1972
    Taylor, Jim 1975 1961 topps since 59/60 show the wrong taylor
    Teteak, Deral 1987
    Thurston, Fred 1975 1962 topps
    Tinsley, Pete 1979
    Trowbridge, Fred 1984
    Turnbull, Andrew 1977
    Uram, Andy 1973
    Vainisi, Jack 1982
    White, Reggie 2006 1993 sp or stadium club, maybe bowman foil?
    Whittenton, Jesse 1976 1961 lake to lake
    Wildung, Dick 1973 1950 bowman
    Williams, Travis 1997 1970 kelloggs
    Wolf, Ron 2000
    Wood, Willie 1977 1963 topps or 1961 lake to lake
    Woodin, Whitey 1973
  • Options
    Sorry Jason, I am just passionate about my Packers.

I do know who Giles is, I saw him play many a times up a Lambeau. I remember him running by Mark Murphy and Estus Hood down the field in a snow game when I was a kid. I just wanted to get my point across that many of these All - Time Team sets don't have the players up to your standards.

We do need to create a separate set just for Green Bay Packer Hall of Fame members. That we all agree on because Gerry Ellis, my favorite Packer, does not have the stats to be on the All - Time Packer set.

I think we are missing two players on the All-Time Packer Set. Ryan Longwell and John Anderson. Longwell is the All Time leading scorer in Packers History and John Anderson was a Machine in the 80's. Don't forget Anderson played with a broken arm numerous times throughout his career.

If we are in agreement on these two players we then need to agree on a card for each of them. Anderson will be his Topps Rookie. What about Longwell?

• Options
    Jim,

I wouldnt plan on using the Walkers cards unless that would have been the only one available. I dont think that I have ever seen any around.

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Troy,

I think that Jason kinda missed the point about my first post. The goal of this thread was two fold. One to discuss possible additions to the all time set that is online. The other point was to see if there was interest in a Packer HOF set.

In terms of the all time set that is online right now I do feel there some additions that need to be made. I agree with John Anderson and Ryan Longwell. He might not be then thats his opinion. But as one of the oldest teams in the league I find it hard to keep the guy who holds the team scoring record off the list. I also think Freeman is another canidate as well as potentially Driver in the future. I know they dont stack up to Jason's test, but then again neither does Max Mcgee. When you look at the Packer recieving records these are the names you see at the top Hutson, Sharpe, Lofton, then in mixed order is usually Freeman, Mcgee and Driver. I know it gets hard for some people to see additions come along to sets that they may have created but that will always be the case with a set like this.

In terms of the Packer HOF set. I would like to work with you and others on setting up the cards. Jim has listed some already. Others might have some debate. What we need is a list of people that want a say in the setting up the initial set. For example the Favre would probably be the 92 Stadium Club. But which card for Reggie White. The newer players will be the most difficult. The older players are easier, except for the really old guys. I am open to all suggestions, as Jim pointed out most people would probably want to complete this set that start it. So we should try to make the cards for the older players as accessible as possible.

So who else would like to Join in the helping pick the cards. Here is the list so far that I can come up with of people from the boards.

Me
    Troy
    Jim
    T Rud (who emailed me and is working on getting on the boards)

Anyone else??
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I was really just trying to give some input since I have experience in these sets. Like I said, I no longer collect them because guys were being added that I didn't think belonged IMO. That's what collecting is all about, collect what you like and don't collect what you don't like. There is no right or wrong.

I don't think Anderson or Longwell would be totally out of place on the set. Especially when you look at sets like the All-Time Raiders and they have guys listed who aren't even in the hemisphere of being an all-time great. All-time leading scorer is relative in this day and age though...But hey, if you think he deserves to be added, by all means e-mail Cosetta the request. The collectors of the set will have the opportunity to vote. If you get the majority, they will be added. And that goes for anyone you want to see on.

Just be careful, because some of the other sets were ruined (IMO) because someone made an ill-fated request and there weren't enough collectors paying attention to vote NO to the addition...Just as you can make a request, so could the guy who owns ONE Packer card on the set and wants Don Majkowski added...

I'll stay out of your "Packer" business from now on...lol
    Jason
  • Options
    I think at the very least you need to talk to randall shier, kramercollectibles, and draxler, they're big packers collectors, maybe email or pm everybody who has packers team sets to get some input. If they don't spend a lot of time on the message boards they might miss this, and chances are they already have most or all of the cards involved.

I like rookie card if they were packers, and best card of the first packers card if they started somewhere else. Again it's probably a card many of us would already have, either graded or raw. That's why I suggested 93 SP for Reggie White. I'm sure there's some limited insert of him, but I think 93 SP is his best base card showing him in the preferred green. The bonus of that card is it shows him being held by an Eagles player image

Some players or front office people either don't have cards or only have cards in HOF sets or celebration sets and it's best to get everybody on the same page before they get chosen for the set.

Anyway I for one appreciate Jason's advice - the HOF set is a great set.
  • Options
    I value his knowledge as well for the HOF set. He has vast knowledge of the NFL but maybe not as much specifically with regard to the Packers. Therefore players should be added that were a value/made an impact on the history of the team not of the NFL as awhole. But the intention here wasnt to put Paul Ott Carruth on the all time set. Just to potentially update the set.

Thanks for your suggestions about the other packer collectors. I will try to make an email list to send out to those people as well as the you, Troy and T Rud. We can vote to decide. I will have to take a look at the White SP. I also like the 93 Excalibur. Has him manhandling a Raider O-lineman in the HOF game. We will also have to decide on cards for some of the newer players. I assume we will use Butlers AP rookie as in the all time set already. But we will have to pick one for Brooks as well.

Thanks for the names. I have emailed them and hope for some responses.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>I value his knowledge as well for the HOF set. He has vast knowledge of the NFL but maybe not as much specifically with regard to the Packers. Therefore players should be added that were a value/made an impact on the history of the team not of the NFL as awhole. But the intention here wasnt to put Paul Ott Carruth on the all time set. Just to potentially update the set. >>

I don't know, I think I am pretty up on Packers history...What do you need to know???lol

Jason
  • Options
    Hello all!

I have finally made it to the forum.

I have been talking to jradke4 about this forum and also with JasP24 from time to time.

My name is Todd and I have been collecting on and off since I was little.

I have been a Packer fan since I was born - so I have been with them through the good and bad.

I like the idea of a Packer HOF set. It allows us to discuss players who were good players for the team, but not NFL HOFers (although Jerry Kramer deserves to be there - at least). To be allowed in the Packer HOF is an honor. I also agree on using the first card the player appears on as a Packer.
  • Options
    welcome IMeddie (T Rud from above) glad you made it.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    brooks = 92 stadium club, I think it was that or skybox impact in 92?

Here's a stolen scan of a 93 sp reggie white. I gotta think that was holding.

• Options
    jim,

thats a good reggie for sure.

i think there is a 92 stadium of Brooks. I think he is holding a blocking pad in it. Will have to check tonight. Too bad he started the leap a few years later. i think there is a card of him doing one, which would be cool to have in there but its not his first/rookie card.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    All,

What do you think about the price of the PSA 8 Tony Canadeo rc that ended Wed night for $1525??!! The price seems ridiculous in my opinion (considering I bought my PSA 8 Otto Graham and PSA 8 Elroy Hirsch for $500 less over the past year) and the card is a weak PSA 8 in my opinion. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts including Jason's stats of how much the card normally sells for.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>All,

What do you think about the price of the PSA 8 Tony Canadeo rc that ended Wed night for $1525??!! The price seems ridiculous in my opinion (considering I bought my PSA 8 Otto Graham and PSA 8 Elroy Hirsch for $500 less over the past year) and the card is a weak PSA 8 in my opinion. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts including Jason's stats of how much the card normally sells for.

Regards,

Greg M. >>

Half as many 8s as with hirsch and way less 8s than graham, plus the extra demand from the packers collectors has to be part of it, plus the hof set is getting more and more popular.
  • Options
    Here's what the 1963 stancrafts look like, PSA does grade them and it's not impossible to get good grades. I'm not sure there are any earlier Lambeau or McNally cards, except the Walker's Cleaners cards that I can't afford.

imageimage
  • Options
    jim,

thanks for the info on those cards. are they listed in either the beckett or scd football card bibles?

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Jay, I don't think they're in Beckett or the SCD bible. I've seen them sold individually and as a complete set, I think there are red backs and green backs and since most of mine are red I'll guess the green are more scarce.

Here's a photo gallery of all of them, the Don Hutson is my favorite!

63 stancraft
  • Options
    Here's a Holmgren from happier days, 1992 proline portraits

• Options
    I am searching my lists for other cards for the tough guys too.

The Fleer HOF sets may be able to give us cards too
  • Options
    The guys I listed for packers hof set probably don't have cards, I'm not sure if there are more than one set around, I have this set here so I suggested it. If not available then we would have to look for another set. There are probably more guys in the set than I listed, these ones were right in front of me.

Atkinson, Jerry 1988 executive committee, helped with stock sale and building lambeau field. Packers hof set
    Bengtson, Phil 1985 coach after lombardi. packers hof set?
    Bruder, Hank 1972 he had a 1935 or so diamond matchbook, no regular issue cards as far as I know
    Burke, Wilner 1986 band director 1934-1981. packers hof card set
    Clifford, Jerry 1991 drafted articles of incorp., vp 1922-53. packers hof set
    Gremminger, Hank 1976 1961 lake to lake
    Herber, Arnie 1972 1935 wheaties $$$
    Hinkle, Clark 1972 1935 chicle
    Hutson, Don 1972 1955 topps
    Joannes, Lee H. 1981 team president 1930-1947. packers hof set
    Johnston, Chester 1981 this is swede johnston 1935 chicle
    Lombardi, Vince 1975 1964 philadelphia packers play card
    Trowbridge, Fred 1984 legal , exec 1950-81. packers hof set
    Vainisi, Jack 1982 scout 1950-60. played at ND till 1949. packers hof set

Packers HOF set -

• Options
    Alright. With the draft this weekend I figured this was a good time to sit down with my computer, HOF list and the checklist of all packer cards that I got from Troy. I will do my best to finish up the list and send it to Troy for review and he can do the same if he wants. Then will will post/email the list to all the interested parites so far. Jim, I heard from Neil the other day and he is interested as well.

So these will be the guidelines that I will use. Rookie cards will be used for players first listed with the packers. there after, it will be the players first card in a packer uniform. I think we should set some guidelines for players that will come later. For example, would we want a draft pick type card (normally in a college uniform or would we want that player in a Packer uni??). For now I dont think that is an issue but I think we should have that dealt with prior to going online. Probably from here on out there will be debate as to which card to include. So we should set guidelines for that as well. Is it going to be the most expensive normal rookie or a more mainstream issue like a regular Topps/Upper Deck. I dont think many of us want to pay an arm and a leg for some of these cards.

Any other issues anyone else has??

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Just a thought...You don't HAVE to select specific cards if you don't want to..If you don't weight the set, PSA can set it up so any card of that particular player will work.

I would suggest e-mailing Cosetta and let her know what you are wanting to do and she might be able to give you an idea of what would best.

It would suck for you guys to put in the legwork for a set only to find out later that PSA can't comply with your request exactly as you want it. It has happened in the past.

Jason

EDITED TO ADD: Here are PSA's specific guidelines on HOF/Key card type sets in case you aren't familiar.In the case of this set, the last line would probably be your main concern:

HOF and Key Card Sets:
    Additions to the HOF and Key Card sets are possible. Every year new HOF inductions are made. In addition, some players may have performed well enough in recent years to warrant addition to All-Time sets. In some cases only one card will qualify for addition to the set. In some cases, several cards may qualify and members participating in the set will be polled for their opinion. The majority vote will determine which card is added. If less than 50% of the members polled respond, then experts at PSA will select the card for addition. If a rookie card is to be added, the card selected must be considered one of the most popular and no autographed, jersey or insert cards will qualify.

• Options
    Jason,

I had emailed her about setting up an auto'd set of players that have caught TD passes from Favre a few months ago. She said that are not setting up sets without defined cards until they get their software updated. Its too much work and that sets like that are better for the collectors showcase.

So unless you know that things have changed I dont think that will get anywhere. Thanks for the advise and I will email her too get more specific info about how to have the set setup.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>Jason,

I had emailed her about setting up an auto'd set of players that have caught TD passes from Favre a few months ago. She said that are not setting up sets without defined cards until they get their software updated. Its too much work and that sets like that are better for the collectors showcase.

So unless you know that things have changed I dont think that will get anywhere. Thanks for the advise and I will email her too get more specific info about how to have the set setup.

jay >>

I don't have any new info, so that may be the case. I've never requested a non-weighted set. If it's been a few months though, I would ask. You can use the Football HOF Player/Coach/Admin set as your example...Based on some of the guys you want in the set, the only way you could include them would be to use non-mainstream issued cards like the Lake-to-Lake or Stancraft as mentioned earlier...Not sure how PSA would treat these cards in relation to the type of set you are proposing. The only set I know of like this would be the Heisman Trophy Winner set, which preceded any of their published guidlines. Not sure who requested it, but it would seem they used whatever card the requestor asked for, and in most cases, there is no rhyme or reason as to which cards were selected and allowed. They have since tightened their guidelines (smartly). But if they are now willing to accept all of the regional, oddball type cards into these sets, they could be looking at an entirely defferent category on the registry. Maybe call them Key Card Master sets or something and call the others currently listed Key Card Basic? This is what they did with the player sets...

Although I won't be collecting it, I look forward to seeing what you guys put together. Could very possibly set (another) new precedent on what PSA will accept and/or buy off on when it comes to Key Card sets.

Jason
  • Options
    I will throw in my 2 cemts.

I would like to see a Packer player in a Packer uniform, not his college uniform.
  • Options
    Jason,

Thanks for the advice. I have emailed them and will let everyone know what they say.

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>I will throw in my 2 cemts.

I would like to see a Packer player in a Packer uniform, not his college uniform. >>

I agree with you. It might be hard as Jason pointed out for some of the old timers though. But there are the Fleer Immortals/HOF sets for some in Canton. The question is what to do about those that arent in sets like that. Someone like Dillion or Dilweg. Would we want to have the Packer HOF cards used?? Not sure as they might not be as easy to get and arent even close to mainstream. I wouldnt mind using the lake to lake cards as they are more accepted.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Can you post the list with the player's cards that would be included in the set so far?
  • Options
    I think one is already up earlier in the thread. If not I can post one later tonight.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>I think one is already up earlier in the thread. If not I can post one later tonight. >>

Yes - I saw it. image

I believe:

Paul Coffman - 1980 Topps (RC)
    Jan Stenerud - 1981 Topps

I will have to check tonight.
  • Options
    Update to the list:

Anderson, John - 1983 Topps (RC)
    Coffman, Paul - 1980 Topps (RC)
    Douglass, Mike - 1983 Topps (RC)
    Ellis, Gerry - 1981 Topps (RC)
    Gray, Johnnie - 1976 Topps (RC)
    McCarren, Larry - 1976 Topps (RC)
    Murphy, Mark - 1981 Topps (RC)
    Pitts, Elijah - 1965 Philadelphia (RC)
    Whittenton, Jesse - 1961 lake to lake or 1964 Philadelphia
    Stenerud, Jan - 1981 Topps
  • Options
    Another idea could be two sets. Packer Hall of Fames Players and another Packer Hall of Fame Players and Contributors? I put some legwork into this and so did Jay so I hope it goes through.