Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great PICS Stown
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Thank you.

I'm currently paying for it BIG TIME image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    must have been an awesome experience image
  • Options
    Wow! Those are great pictures! What a magical night!!! Wish I could have been there.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

It was such an overwhelming experience, I even shed a tear image

Regardless of what the haters spew, they can't ever take last night and his career accomplishments away image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Another walk-off homerun for the good guys!!

My poor liver will test it's limits tonight for the 3rd day in a row.

Nothing like cheering on the home team image
  • Options
    Won 4 of 5 image

Biggio was named NL Player of the Week after getting #3,000 and hitting .444 image

Woody Williams is showing signs of being young again with his 2nd solid outing image

Carlos Lee is the man image

Berkman is starting to warm up image

Pence, even though some of the clueless say hasn't proven a thing, tied with major league leading 4-hit games (5), will be amoung the league leaders in BA by tomorrow, and hasn't hit below .329 since settling in as a starter. Not to forget the intangebles that you cannot place a numerical value on, the kid is flat out a STUD.

I : heart : Hunter
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Since they beat the Phils last night...

F the Astros.

Don't feel slighted. I'm working my way through the NL and half of the AL. image

Thanks for the pics.
  • Options
    Puck the Fhillies

You know, like an ice skating puck...

• Options
    Bases loaded for Hunter, 2 out and tied in the 10th.

I : heart : Hunter image
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bases loaded for Hunter, 2 out and tied in the 10th.

I : heart : Hunter image >>

I loved that catch he made against the flagpoleimage

Steve
  • Options
    D'Oh!

I still : heart : Hunter, though image

PS - Carlos Lee was safe by a mile..

: snickers :

• Options

<< <i>PS - Carlos Lee was safe by a mile..

image >>

I like the Astros, but they were SO Lucky on that call!!!!!

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PS - Carlos Lee was safe by a mile..

image >>

I like the Astros, but they were SO Lucky on that call!!!!!

Steve >>

I don't know what you are talking about, it wasn't even close image
  • Options
    HUNTER PENCE GAME WINNING HR!!

• Options
    HUNTER PENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
  • Options
    Game ball goes to the 1st base umpire.

Dam good call you made there image

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Well just F the Astros again.

If the Phils lose in Houston today it will be "F me."

At least the Mets and Braves are losing too.
  • Options
    Just think what would have happened if Hunter had proven something.

I mean, all he did was go 3-6, made an absolutely phenominal catch, and the game winning HR.

• Options
    Oswalt replaces Smoltz on the All-Star squad.

Sorry to hear about John but yaaaaaay Roy image

Link
  • Options

Pence enjoying sensational rookie season with Astros

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

"Hunter," Biggio jokingly told his protégé, "I'll move out for you."

Just a week after Biggio became the 27th player in history to collect 3,000 hits, Astros reliever Dave Borkowski couldn't pass up a dig as Biggio sought refuge.

"Bidge," Borkowski exclaimed, "you're old news."

Since Biggio broke into the majors in 1988 and Jeff Bagwell joined him in 1991, Houston baseball has been identified with that twosome. Lance Berkman, Roy Oswalt and Carlos Lee are now the high-priced leaders of the club. In Pence, the Astros have their future and a reason for optimism.

Pence, 24, is the latest matinee idol at Minute Maid Park, where even guys show up with the signs their girlfriends made declaring their love for the rookie center fielder from Arlington.

"Hunter, Feed the Masses," has become a popular theme on signs at Minute Maid Park.

One creative woman recently even vowed to dump her boyfriend for Pence, showing up at the stadium with a sign that read: "I'll dump this guy for you, Hunter."

"I'm kind of like, 'Come on, that's kind of mean for your boyfriend,' " Pence said. "I just saw the guy holding it up. I'm like, 'Why is he holding that up?' He was all pumped about
    it. I don't know if I signed that one or not."

For the first time this season, Pence has enough plate appearances to qualify among the league leaders and his .345 batting average places him second in the National League.

That's why baseball men love him. With home runs in three consecutive games this week, he became just the fifth Astros rookie to accomplish that feat. The NL Rookie of the Month in May, he started July with four consecutive multi-hit games.

Lofty company

Only Matt Holliday (.352) of the Colorado Rockies has a higher batting average in the NL than Pence among the hitters who qualify. Since 1940, San Francisco's Dan Gladden (.351 in 1984), Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki (.350, 2001), Boston's Wade Boggs (.349, 1982), Pence (.345) and Cincinnati's Hal Morris (.340, 1990) are the only rookies with at least 250 at-bats to have an average of at least .340.

Pence tries to downplay all the headlines he's making. Still, he's the newest young darling of Houston sports.

"I've seen some rookies kind of come on the scene like that," the Astros' Mark Loretta said. "He's made adjustments quicker than any other rookie I've seen, meaning they've kind of tried to pitch him every which way — all curveballs, fastballs in — and he seems to make the adjustment. Just when you think, OK, this guy, they've kind of figured him out or the scouting report is out on him a little bit, he seems to find a way to keep going."

Pence, who made his major league debut April 28, is still learning. He's more likely to point out his mistakes than his successes. He credits third base coach Doug Mansolino and manager Phil Garner for getting on him when he misses signs or fails to understand the nuances of the game.

"You're always going to give 100 percent, but you've also got to pay attention to the situation," he said. "There's one time I got thrown out at third. I felt like I could stretch a double into a triple with Adam Dunn (making the throw). I was wrong. I think there were two outs. And at second, you're already in scoring position.

"Unless I was 100 percent (certain), you can't go right there. You still hustle. In case you can make it and it's 100 percent, you go. But if not, you just shut it down and get back to the bag. As long as you're running hard and doing everything you can, there's nothing you can do different."

Running and effort haven't been a problem. Respecting the game and its past also haven't been an issue.

"He's been very respectful," Garner said of Pence. "It's refreshing in a lot of ways. There's nothing wrong with being co cky. But what you do appreciate, being in the game a long time, is that he appreciates the order of the game. There's a hierarchy. Craig Biggio should command a little bit of respect from younger players. The same would be true for Woody Williams. There's a certain amount of respect you pay to the guys who played the game and have played it a long time.

The next caretaker

"There's a few times when kids come to the game today they don't even know who Jeff Bagwell is. ... There's not this sense of fitting into a game and its history and its place and how important it is to respect the game and carry on our good traditions. There's a certain respect you pay to the game because you're kind of a caretaker of the game. You're picking it up from the way Bagwell left it and Willie Stargell or those other guys."

In Pence, the Astros have a young player who can carry on what Bagwell and Biggio have built.

jesus.ortiz@chron.com
  • Options
    Another losing streak broken.

Good times.

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I watched the Cubs broom them this past week. Man have they gone south since 2005. They looked sloppy in the field and totally uninspired.
  • Options

<< <i>I watched the Cubs broom them this past week. Man have they gone south since 2005. They looked sloppy in the field and totally uninspired. >>

They remind me of the giants...when the team is kind of pushed to the background and one players accomplishments take center stage, makes everyone else feel really, really unimportant.
  • Options

<< <i>I watched the Cubs broom them this past week. Man have they gone south since 2005. They looked sloppy in the field and totally uninspired. >>

Cubs have been doing the same thing last couple of years, so perhaps it's just the 'Stros time image
  • Options
    Pence was placed on the 15-day DL but will probably miss 4 to 6 weeks image

Due to this Nation's ADD, he will end up being an after thought when the ROY ballots are cast.

I still : heart : Hunter, though
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I thought the same thing about Pence's chance at the ROY. Looks like it's going to be Ryan Braun's award to lose.

Too bad for the Astros (and those of us who own Pence in fantasy baseball). Here come the dog days of summer for Astro fans I guess.
  • Options

<< <i>Here come the dog days of summer for Astro fans I guess. >>

Well on the bright side, shorter beer and food lines image
  • Options
    How is it ADD?

A guy misses over a month and he should still win ROY? I don't think that's ADD at all.
  • Options
    Player A has 75 games while Player B has 50 games.

One has significant playing time and contributes to their team a majority of the year while the other didn't start playing until just before mid season. Does it matter when that extra month is played?

Ah forget it, not worth listening to the spinning...
  • Options
    No one's spinning, but if a guy isn't there for a good chunk of games, shouldn't that factor into the voting?
  • Options
    Jason Lane got called up to replace Pence.

Since being sent down (for like the 20th time), J-Lane hit +/- .400 with 3 HRs and +/- 15 RBIs.

I'm pretty sure that he's out of options, so he better stick this time.
  • Options
    I've just been told that Biggio will hold a press conference within an hour to announce that he will retire at season's end.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I was just coming on here to see if you'd heard the news about Biggio. I guess it's not really a big surprise to anyone. I, for one, will be sad to see him go though.

It looks like this season is all but over, but in a way, aren't these also exciting times for the Astros? I hate to sound calloused, but Biggio's leaving does create an opportunity for someone else to step up and fill that role. Being in the NL Central, it seems like the Astros could be just a few key players away from being in the thick of things for a long time to come . . . another quality starter would be a good place to begin. Pence has definitely got to provide a fair amount of hope for the future too.
  • Options

<< <i>I was just coming on here to see if you'd heard the news about Biggio. I guess it's not really a big surprise to anyone. I, for one, will be sad to see him go though.

It looks like this season is all but over, but in a way, aren't these also exciting times for the Astros? I hate to sound calloused, but Biggio's leaving does create an opportunity for someone else to step up and fill that role. Being in the NL Central, it seems like the Astros could be just a few key players away from being in the thick of things for a long time to come . . . another quality starter would be a good place to begin. Pence has definitely got to provide a fair amount of hope for the future too. >>

No one can fill Biggio's role image Burke is waiting in the wings but hasn't come through when given the opportunity.

Our staff, other than Roy, has been terrible and inconsistent. But to their credit, our offense has been beyond piss poor.

We need two more bats, a solid lefty starter, bring up Troy Patton, and a new closer.

Then it's on like Donkey Kong image
  • Options
    Oh, by the way.

Biggio hit a grand slam tonight image

So fitting for such an emotional day.

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    hall of fame bound!
    the rube
  • Options
    Uh...

We just designated Mo.

Link

Dear Tim,

Last year, you released Preston Wilson, who went on to single handedly prevent us from making the playoffs.

Yesterday, trade Wheeler for Wigginton (which I still don't get) but couldn't get jack for Mo?

Not even the worst prospect in the minors for a former All-Star?

What??!?

Are you freaking kidding me?!?!?

Please, hand in your resignation now. Your idiotic moves are KILLING our beloved franchise.

Sincerely,

'Stro Fans
  • Options
    Seems the franchises in houston are simply plagued by inept management.

Ensberg will be picked up by somebody.
  • Options
    Oh to be a cross country bandwagoner.

Don't worry about your city/state/1,000 mile radius team(s), just find a flavor of the month and act like a life-long fan.

Bravo!

• Options
    Was my statement wrong? By your own admission, the moves management has made is sabotaging the Astros, and the lack of direction (especially with the offensive line) is a well known fault of the Texans.

And please, enough with the bandwagon comments, they are entirely untrue. If I wanted to be a bandwagon fan, I'd follow the 49ers/Raiders, as they have won 3+ super bowls each, wouldn't I?

Take care, enjoy those season tickets.
  • Options
    When did the 49ers or Raiders win their last Super Bowl?

And when did the Sucks?

Case closed image

Go 'Stros!
  • Options
    Hmm not sure what you're insinuating, but if you're saying that I only became a Bucs fan after they won the super bowl, you couldn't be more wrong.

But by your own flawed logic, if I was a 'cross country bandwagoner', I'd be a Patriots fan. But then when one lives in a deluded state, logic doesn't come into play. Enjoy the cellar again, texans fans.
  • Options
    Said the cross country bandwagoning fan of a 4-12 team.

Sheesh, go create a Mariners thread or something and stop flaming. All you do is talk trash about others yet nothing about your flavor of the month.

Maybe if you followed a regional team, you could gain more insight other than ESPN highlights.

Go 'Stros!
  • Options
    Sure is fun to read these threads!
  • Options
    I would hope so considering you've been bammed 6 times but keep coming back, for some demented reason.
  • Options
    Hmm pot meet kettle!
  • Options
    Hmm, 1 alias vs 6?

Dope.

Back on topic, since the cross country bandwagoner never has anything to contribute, ever.

Go 'Stros!

• Options
    Fantastic pitching match-up tonight with Roy going up against Zambrono.

I want to attend the game but have an important, prior engagement; getting my groove on image
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just giving the 'Stros thread some love again!

Oh and +1 for back to back posts...AGAIN. image