Home Sports Talk
Options

Let's go 'Stros! - Pictures of Biggio's 3,000th Hit *woo-hooooo*

stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
Won 2 out of last 3 image
So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 out of 3 is all you want all year long!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding Carlos Lee to the squad will help you get cheery about the 'Stros all season. Just gotta hope the pitching is there.
  • Options
    they should bring hunter pence up.
  • Options

<< <i>they should bring hunter pence up. >>

He needs some time in AAA; never had a sniff over AA ball.

Unless he gets injured or flops in AAA, bet he will be up by All-Star break.

He is money image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Stown whats the deal with this guy Luke Scott? He seems like he can hit.
  • Options
    first Lidge, now Wheeler gets spanked.

whats with the relief corp??
  • Options

<< <i>Stown whats the deal with this guy Luke Scott? He seems like he can hit. >>

Luke absolutely tore the cover off the ball 2 spring traingings ago and was on the opening day roster. He slumped big time and was sent back to the minors. He came back up for another cup of coffee last year and has been on fire since. I see him being our right fielder for years to come image

<< <i>first Lidge, now Wheeler gets spanked.

whats with the relief corp?? >>

Ummm.... Wheeler felt bad for Lidge's demotion and wanted him to get a save opportunity?

• Options
    Carlos Lee is the man image
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    ahhh no...Phillies pitching is the man!

JS
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Carlos Lee is the man image >>

3 HR - heckuva game.

But why does it have to be against the Phillies? image
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Let's go 'Stros!"

Let's not! image

Shane

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Carlos Lee is the man image >>

3 HR - heckuva game.

But why does it have to be against the Phillies? image >>

Nothing personal. In fact, hope you win all of your games... Except for when you play us image
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    F the Astros.

F the Mets, ohhh especially the Mets. F them in unspeakable terms and with extreme malice.

F the Marlins.

F the Braves.

Working my way around the National League as the Phils manage to lose to everyone. I'll hit a few AL teams too.

Christ it's a long season.

• Options

<< <i>F the Astros.

F the Mets, ohhh especially the Mets. F them in unspeakable terms and with extreme malice.

F the Marlins.

F the Braves.

Working my way around the National League as the Phils manage to lose to everyone. I'll hit a few AL teams too.

image >>

I'll second that and to the Mets I'll quadruple it. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>F the Astros.

F the Marlins.

F the Braves.

image >>

I'll second that and to the Mets I'll quadruple it. image >>

I changed my mind on the comment about the Mets. It was uncalled for and just plain wrong! I'm sorry.

Actually, I'll quintuple it to the 10th power. image
  • Options
    The Big Puma showed his speed last night with his first stolen base of the season image

Mo wins the game in the bottom of the 9th image

Carlos Lee is a stud image

And F you too, Phili fan image
  • Options

<< <i>Carlos Lee is a stud image >>

• Options
    Carlos Lee is the man, just wait until Berkman catches fire. You guys got your own version of a Papi/Manny combo going on in Houston. Enjoy!
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Bring back Bagwell!
    Travis
  • Options

<< <i>Bring back Bagwell! >>

You will probably get just as much productivity from Bagwell as you would with a thawed out Ted Williams image

On a positive note, after a horrendous start, my 'Stros are over .500 and a 1/2 game out of first.

Good times image
  • Options
    Another come from behind win, this time down 6-1.

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

• Options
    What has gotten into the 'Stros bats as of late???
  • Options

<< <i>What has gotten into the 'Stros bats as of late??? >>

Carlos Lee image

Hopefully this will continue when The Big Puma gets going image

Edited to add: Don't know if they showed it on SportsCenter but Carlos scored from 1st. That was awesome to watch image
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GRAND SLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

<< <i>GRAND SLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

Craig Freakin Biggio!

PS - I think Lidge is officially done.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Lidge has to be done as an Astro. I think he has the potential to regain his "lights out" stuff and be effective again. But I don't think he'll be able to do it in a Houston uniform. I think he's irreparably damaged as an Astro.
  • Options
    How long can they stick with lidge? he is looking like Mariano Riveira! lol
  • Options

<< <i>Lidge has to be done as an Astro. I think he has the potential to regain his "lights out" stuff and be effective again. But I don't think he'll be able to do it in a Houston uniform. I think he's irreparably damaged as an Astro. >>

Yeah, Mitch Williams did just dandy too...
  • Options
    Carlos Lee sucks. Trade him and his overpaid fat rear.

Oh well, can't win them all. I'll take 5 out of 6 all day long image
  • Options
    Make it stop!!!
  • Options
    Yeah, no schnikes image

I said that I would take WINNING 5 out of 6, not losing them image
  • Options
    Perhaps I should reiterate my question from a week ago, but with a completely opposite meaning now:

"What has gotten into the 'Stros bats as of late???"
  • Options
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    If the Pirates only played the stros they would be playoff bound. Ah it looks like both our teams may be fighting for 3rd this year.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Being the optimistic Homer, after another terrible stretch, we are only 5 games out of first image

Also, my main man Hunter Pence was just called up to be our starting centerfielder.

Link

Woot!
  • Options
    It hasn't happened much as of late but always good to say it.

Astros win!

• Options
    Good for You Stownie!! image
  • Options
    5 games out of first the first of may? Good god.

Throw in the abysmal texans, and you have arguably the worst sports town in all of sports.

• Options
    Clemens to make a decision soon

Clemens sweepstakes officially begin
    05/01/2007 10:24 AM ET
    By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- If Roger Clemens decides he does indeed want to pitch in 2007 and if he had to pick a team today, based on the requirements he has placed on the interested parties, he'd go to the Red Sox.
    After all, the Red Sox are in first place in their division, they're third in the American League in runs scored and their pitching? Second lowest ERA in the league.

The other two suitors, the Yankees and Astros, well, they're not doing so well. Both are in last place in their respective divisions, with 14 losses apiece. The Astros have won 10 games, the Yankees nine. The Astros' problem is offense, the Yankees, pitching.

But according to Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, no team is out of the running.

"The three original teams are all being considered seriously," Hendricks said via e-mail.

The calendar has flipped to May, officially marking the Clemens sweepstakes open for business. Clemens will decide, according to Hendricks, "sometime during the month of May, but certainly, not very soon." Of course, he first has to decide whether he wants to pitch, and while Clemens is playing coy, few in the industry believe he'll retire.

Last year, Clemens signed on May 31. It's likely the same ETA can be expected this year.

Astros owner Drayton McLane recently had a brief conversation with Randy and Alan Hendricks, and while McLane hasn't talked to Clemens in a few weeks, he's certainly keeping tabs on the Rocket. Clemens spent much of Spring Training in Kissimmee, Fla., throwing batting practice to and working out with the Astros' Minor Leaguers. When the regular season began, he made a handful of trips to Lexington, where his son, Koby, is a third baseman for the Class A Legends.

Clemens hasn't made his desire to pitch in '07 official, but if he does agree to stave off retirement for a fourth year, his suitors will not have to worry that he may not be in proper shape. Clemens' workout regimen is as strenuous as ever, and according to Hendricks, Clemens' nagging aches and pains from the past -- groin, back, hamstring -- are not an issue.

"He feels very good physically," Hendricks said. "He will be accelerating the intensity of his workouts soon."

But first things first. Clemens has to inform the interested parties that he will pitch this year.

"We had a brief conversation with Randy about Roger," McLane said. "I said, No. 1, that Roger and Debbie [Clemens' wife] need to make up their minds. He's 44, he'll be 45 during the season [Aug. 4]. He's still a power pitcher and he needs to determine physically that he can do it.

"[Hendricks] said that they are having conversations and hopefully, sometime by mid-May, Roger will give word. We're not negotiating and to my knowledge, no other teams are negotiating. [His agents] said there's no point until we know what Roger wants."

McLane is confident about the Astros' chances to sign Rocket, despite the club's slow start. The Red Sox and Yankees haven't said whether they would afford Clemens the perks he has with the Astros, namely, skipping road trips when he's not pitching.

But if Clemens signs with New York or Boston, it's likely he wouldn't be able to spend time during the season in Lexington with Koby, which has been a huge selling point for the Rocket since Koby was drafted in 2005.

The other issue, of course, is money. Last year, Clemens signed for $22,000,002 and was paid a little over $12 million for a shortened season that began on June 22. Assuming Clemens begins this season around the same time, and assuming he's not going to accept a pay cut, McLane will have to exceed the $100 million mark in payroll for the second year in a row. The Astros' Opening Day payroll was just under $88 million.

McLane is confident that the Astros will be competitive with their bid for Rocket's services. He also doesn't seem to be worried that the Yankees and Red Sox would knock the Astros out of competition with a bidding war only those two teams can afford.

"I certainly hope not," McLane said. "I don't think so. I think [Clemens' agents] know reasonably where we are."

What is reasonable?

"I don't know," McLane said. "You saw what it was last year and this is a year farther down the road. Whether that will be less, the same or more, we haven't gotten that far."

McLane, who will likely be the sole negotiator on the Astros' behalf when the bidding begins, likes his club's chances to land the Rocket for a fourth year.

"Randy has assured us that we are in the mix," he said. "The big decision is the one that Roger and Debbie need to make. He needs to let Randy and Alan know and then we'll sit down and talk. I think Roger feels there's something that hasn't been accomplished here that needs to be.

"I think he really feels a part of the Houston Astros. I said to him all along, he helped us get to the World Series and now we need to get back to the World Series and win it. I think he really, really wants to be a part of that."

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Should beat up on my Reds tonight.

Eric Milton may be the worst starting pitcher in baseball.
  • Options
    Last minute, we decided to head out to the game. Went to the BUS (bar across the street from the stadium) and got tickets for free.

Good times image
  • Options

<< <i>D'OH! >>

Don't mind me, I'm schnockered image
  • Options
    13-0

Now I'm sure our bats will be silent for a week.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    the rocket has made his mind up. but its not with the stros. sorry to hear that. image

i wont toot the crew's horn yet, but they are sure playing well so far. too bad they still have plenty of games left to lose their lead. image
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Berkman is starting to warm up after a terrible April.

And Carlos is still the man image
  • Options
    Berkman has now homered in 3 straight games.

• Options
    Jennings needs to be fully healthy.
    and good luck Biggio.
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Sheesh.. Normally when you go to see Roy pitch, it's only a 2 hour game. Too bad out bats exploded, which made me drink more image

Please, please, oh pretty please, Phil, if you are reading this, please start Lamb at 3rd and bench Mo.

Thanks for your cooperation image