Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Good Stuff Drying Up but worse, its all being ruined

ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
Many of you know how vocal I have been about original material being available....the true shame is that at the rate every original coin is being tweaked (nicest word I can post) to obtain the highest possible grade...its just a matter of time before no original coins are available.....worse most new collectors think bright and shiny is how coins look and when they see something original they think that the coin is messed up....Yikes.... image
Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the next great wave in quasi-counterfieting will be to go for the original look, complete with verdigris, carbon spots and splotchy brown tone.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Many of you know how vocal I have been about original material being available....the true shame is that at the rate every original coin is being tweaked (nicest word I can post) to obtain the highest possible grade...its just a matter of time before no original coins are available.....worse most new collectors think bright and shiny is how coins look and when they see something original they think that the coin is messed up....Yikes.... image >>

I do understand why a new collector might think that, I admit I did when I first began collecting 40 years ago.....but why are old time dealers giving in to this misplaced demand and participating in the behavior?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like an easter egg hunt , except you get a rotten egg, eh ?
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Until premiums are not added to bright white or kaleidescope toned coins, there will continue to be many, including those who should know better, who will change their coins appearance for financial gain. The TPGs add to the problem by continuing to market grade, sending nice originally toned (but not colorful) coins back daily that upgrade by one or two points when dipped and returned to them.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Until premiums are not added to bright white or kaleidescope toned coins, there will continue to be many, including those who should know better, who will change their coins appearance for financial gain. The TPGs add to the problem by continuing to market grade, sending nice originally toned (but not colorful) coins back daily that upgrade by one or two points when dipped and returned to them. >>

That is exactly why original coins are being worked on. The TPGs need to stop this nonsense of rewarding dipped-and-stripped coins.

They can't be undipped!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Until premiums are not added to bright white or kaleidescope toned coins, there will continue to be many, including those who should know better, who will change their coins appearance for financial gain. The TPGs add to the problem by continuing to market grade, sending nice originally toned (but not colorful) coins back daily that upgrade by one or two points when dipped and returned to them. >>

That is exactly why original coins are being worked on. The TPGs need to stop this nonsense of rewarding dipped-and-stripped coins.

They can't be undipped! >>

A real shame. Cannot say it enough.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Original seems to have become the new catch phrase of coin dealers. Did a memo go out or something?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would y'all like some cheese with that w(h)ine?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do understand why a new collector might think that, I admit I did when I first began collecting 40 years ago.....but why are old time dealers giving in to this misplaced demand and participating in the behavior?

The "misplaced demand" is directed more at the assigned numeric grades than anything else, and it is the demand for grades that coin dippers and doctors serve. The newbie's preference for untoned coins is relatively insignificant.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    The TPGs need to stop this nonsense of rewarding dipped-and-stripped coins.

That's probably backwards. It's more that the TPGs punish coins that are "too original".
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would y'all like some cheese with that w(h)ine?? Cheers, RickO >>

Doctors new slogan - "Would you like some sleeze with that grime".

Remark as they they apply artificial "originality" to your previous "rainbow" collection.
  • Options
    I agree!

Often times, white circulated coins bring more than original ones in the same grade--it's a shame
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The TPGs need to stop this nonsense of rewarding dipped-and-stripped coins.

That's probably backwards. It's more that the TPGs punish coins that are "too original". >>

But either way, original coins get worked on to get a higher TPG grade, right?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I just saw a PCGS XF45 1907-s Barber half at a coin show that was dipped. The scratches, hairlines, and dullish abrasion wear spots on the high points were terribly accentuated on a bright naked silver coin, denuded of all natural color and originality. The dealer said as I pulled down the loupe, "nice coin, huh?".
    Ah, not really, I answered, not trying to be snobby, but just a little too honestly for his tastes. I like a more natural look, I said.
    The coin was grabbed, tossed back in the case and the lid was abruptly shut.image
    7 years on top of the refrigerator and that coin would come back BB for all kinds of reasons.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    Raw coins are naked coins and are subject to abuse just like a newborn child. They are at the mercy of their caregivers.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Raw coins are naked coins and are subject to abuse just like a newborn child. They are at the mercy of their caregivers. >>

Slabbed coins too. Just take the child out of the slab ... err crib.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    There's a loquacious newbie who claims to be a dipping savant who will probably weigh in to disagree.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    << at the rate every original coin is being tweaked (nicest word I can post) to obtain the highest possible grade...its just a matter of time before no original coins are available >>

<< The "misplaced demand" is directed more at the assigned numeric grades than anything else, and it is the demand for grades that coin dippers and doctors serve. The newbie's preference for untoned coins is relatively insignificant. >>

Is this a logical byproduct of the TPG revolution and the inevitable end result of the ANA's endorsement of the Sheldon Scale?

Reminds me of the Legend/Laura post on quality....
  • Options
    Dipsticks serve a purpose, pharmer, but once the motor burns up , they're as useless as teets on a boar.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I just saw a PCGS XF45 1907-s Barber half at a coin show that was dipped. The scratches, hairlines, and dullish abrasion wear spots on the high points were terribly accentuated on a bright naked silver coin, denuded of all natural color and originality. The dealer said as I pulled down the loupe, "nice coin, huh?".

That's extremely funny.... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great!!!! Another "original is good" thread!!!! Seriously, haven't we beat this subject to death already?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great!!!! Another "original is good" thread!!!! Seriously, haven't we beat this subject to death already? >>

I'll agree, this subject comes up a lot in numismatic circles, but it does so in my belief because of a sense of frustration. One of the basic rules of coin collecting, or collecting in general is to leave items in their original state...it's hard for collectors to justify this in their own mind when what goes on "on the ground" so to speak, is not what's spoken about by what turns out to many times be leaders in the hobby. Add to that the confusion over TPGs and their market grading and you have a recipe for continous questioning on the subject.

IMHO someone other than "Joe Collector" has to take the lead here if anything meaningful and long lasting is to be done. A change in what's considered to be original and desireable has to come from the top down, through a change by TPGs to a system that's closer to technical grading. Groups like the ANA have to step up their efforts to inform collectors large and small about the historical significance of an original coin vs. the financial benefits to collectors/dealers that we currently see coming from coin alteration. We won't be able to make a change until perceptions of increased value to altered coins is eliminated.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options

<< <i>IMHO someone other than "Joe Collector" has to take the lead here if anything meaningful and long lasting is to be done. A change in what's considered to be original and desireable has to come from the top down, through a change by TPGs to a system that's closer to technical grading. Groups like the ANA have to step up their efforts to inform collectors large and small about the historical significance of an original coin vs. the financial benefits to collectors/dealers that we currently see coming from coin alteration. We won't be able to make a change until perceptions of increased value to altered coins is eliminated. >>

After my post yesterday, I'm coming to a stronger conclusion that TPGs and the ANA's endorsement of the Sheldon Scale are ultimately responsible for the situation, however unintentional it may be. Americans like things simple and what can be simpler than the Sheldon Scale's single number when backed by the authority of a trusted TPG? Higher is better, it's as simple as that for many collectors.

Many high schools have stopped assigning individual rank to students and many colleges have stopped relying on SATs because they believe some things cannot be represented by a single number. Some things can perhaps even be distorted. If you read car magazines, you'll see that when magazines rate cars, they rate them along multiple dimensions and use a weighted average to come up with a final single number. For coins, this can mean having separate grades for technical quality, strike quality, originality, eye appeal, etc. which are then used to generate a single end number.

It seems that originality cannot be adequately represented in the TPG's Sheldon Scale ratings today, however, numbers are what people focus on. If the community continues to focus on a single number that does not take originality into account, originality simply won't be that important the the vast majority of collectors and dealers.
  • Options
    << The "misplaced demand" is directed more at the assigned numeric grades than anything else, and it is the demand for grades that coin dippers and doctors serve. The newbie's preference for untoned coins is relatively insignificant. >>

Is this a logical byproduct of the TPG revolution and the inevitable end result of the ANA's endorsement of the Sheldon Scale?

The coins will be dipped and doctored as long as the work will fool people. It doesn't matter what the scale is, or who it is that is being fooled. So the real culprit is widespread ignorance and the only solution is education.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

<< <i><< The "misplaced demand" is directed more at the assigned numeric grades than anything else, and it is the demand for grades that coin dippers and doctors serve. The newbie's preference for untoned coins is relatively insignificant. >>

The coins will be dipped and doctored as long as the work will fool people. It doesn't matter what the scale is, or who it is that is being fooled. So the real culprit is widespread ignorance and the only solution is education. >>

The thing is that people aren't being fooled if they are going for a higher number, in the cases where dipped and doctored coins do get higher TPG grades. By assigning more points to higher graded coins, registry sets also contribute to the phenomena by "educating" people that higher technical grades on market acceptable coins are better. The importance of originality is subjective and if an entire generation of coin collectors grows up with market acceptability influencing their collecting habits, originality may simply not be important to them. Over time, originality may be important to a smaller, aging population of coin collectors. For a comparison, just look at EAC where originality doesn't influence collectors that much. Maybe that's the future for other classic coins as well.

I'm not convinced an education-only solution will be successful on a broad scale but if people pursue this I hope they are successful. However, until market acceptability and/or the grading system change, I won't be holding my breath. I see more doctored, conserved coins, in and out of slabs, ahead.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Yes, we can lament and moan about the loss of original coins but until the market place steps up to the plate and rewards the seller for originality with a money US$ bonus for having an original coin, the assigned grade is where the money is. If, for example, PCGS had a line on their holders for "Original Condition", the price could jump 20%, particularly in the area where I collect. Already, coins that have the original look sell for very good premiums and knowledgable collectors will easily pay a 20% bump for what they consider to be an original coin and many times much more than 20%, regardless of what the grade states the coin to be. Key word here...knowledgable collectors.

If the coin is conspicuously cleaned, wizzed, tooled, manipulated...the tpg will state that on the holder. If the coin has received a light dip, been professionally/semiprofessionally "improved" or "conserved" then all the better for the grade and the entrepreneurial submitter...but not the collector that wants to buy coins in their original condition. For example, I was recently told that one of my coins has a copper spot and that lessens the value...BS, when did this become vogue? In this modern age of manipulating coins surfaces for profit, it is the collector that loses because there are fewer target coins available and the collector might be penalized for original surfaces when it comes time to sell. It's not right but it is what it is. Demand that the TPG's cite original surfaces on the cert. and see what the prices do to "Goofy Coins" (TM).

Stay alert, stay alive!

Coin ON!
    Go 'Stros
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For a comparison, just look at EAC where originality doesn't influence collectors that much. Maybe that's the future for other classic coins as well. >>

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you ever heard of "choice, average, and scudzy?" Quite frankly I think the trend towards originality shows that many collectors are turning to a more "EACish" approach to coins in general.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>For a comparison, just look at EAC where originality doesn't influence collectors that much. Maybe that's the future for other classic coins as well. >>

Have you ever heard of "choice, average, and scudzy?" Quite frankly I think the trend towards originality shows that many collectors are turning to a more "EACish" approach to coins in general. >>

Well, the point I was making is that lots of EAC has been messed with even more than what we're talking about here, to the point TPGs won't slab them, and collectors just accept that. Am I mistaken?

I'm not sure we can say there's a trend towards originality yet but there's a trend towards people discussing it image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>TextGreat!!!! Another "original is good" thread!!!! Seriously, haven't we beat this subject to death already? >>

No... I haven't posted on this tread yet....image

I think MrEureka made the most interesting comment in connection TPG punishing originality... and original coins are oftern not given the deserving grade.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Have you ever heard of "choice, average, and scudzy?" Quite frankly I think the trend towards originality shows that many collectors are turning to a more "EACish" approach to coins in general. >>

Well, the point I was making is that lots of EAC has been messed with even more than what we're talking about here, to the point TPGs won't slab them, and collectors just accept that. Am I mistaken? >>

I don't think that's the best interpretation. For "common" copper, EACers will try to buy the best they can afford, the "choice" coins, which basically have _no_ problems. For circulated coins (which I collect), this basically means, to a first approximation, just wear. Certainly no cleaning, no porosity, no unsightly scratches, no rim dings, &c. Then there are "average" coins, which you can consider to be typical circulated. There will be some "problems", but they will be minor. There might be a really _small_ rim ding, or a small scratch, or ever so slight porosity, or even a _well_-retoned piece. They are also not as expensive as choice pieces. Of course, as the varieties (or die states for some people!) become more and more rare, coins with more obvious problems will become more acceptable. If you are looking for a variety with only four known (and it's likely one is in the ANS and another one or two are in tightly held collections), you will take what you can get, even it's a corroded POS or has some awful rim dings (a "scudzy" coin). And if you look at prices of choice, average, and scudzy coins at the same grade level, it is clear what EACers prefer. A choice 1805 C-3 half cent in any grade is a very desirable piece, and will cost you a whole lot more than the typical C-3 (which are usually rather unattractive), even though it's only a scarce variety. I'll let other more knowledgeable EACers reply also, and they may have better comments. Tonight I'll try to remember to post some comments from CQR, which will be rather interesting.

As to slabbing, most EACers just are not for it. It's not that the coins will not necessarily be slabbed (obviously not all will), but it's just not a game that's played that often at all in the EAC world. Slabs are not considered the ideal holder for early copper, and there are conservation reasons for that and you should be able to find some threads on the subject here which can explain that much better than I can. (And in any case, slab grades are usually _higher_ than EAC grades for the same coin.)
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm coming to a stronger conclusion that TPGs and the ANA's endorsement of the Sheldon Scale are ultimately responsible for the situation... >>

Same here. image

I love the idea of third party grading. Plus the use of slabs has been great for protecting high grade specimens. But there appears to be an ugly side to this whole idea and that's the desire to attain the highest possible grade for a coin by whatever means possible. Greed is the primary driver.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm coming to a stronger conclusion that TPGs and the ANA's endorsement of the Sheldon Scale are ultimately responsible for the situation... >>

Same here. image

I love the idea of third party grading. Plus the use of slabs has been great for protecting high grade specimens. But there appears to be an ugly side to this whole idea and that's the desire to attain the highest possible grade for a coin by whatever means possible. Greed is the primary driver. >>

There is an ugly side to everything. 'Cept maybe Scarlett Johansson.
  • Options
    Zoins - Originality is very much held in high regard and a very much desired condition with EACers. The problem with copper is ...... well, the environment doesn't like it. Copper corrodes, discolors or colors in many undesiranble ways, is soft and reflects abuse easily. The planchets used in many cases were poor and problematic. The old timers regularily cleaned and recolored copper and did other sorts of things to "improve" the appearance of a coin. EAC grading and EACers are more "accepting" of a coin that has been cleaned, recolored, damaged, etc. - and has created a grading system with sharpness and net grades and description of surface condition to take into account the problems that are often inherent to the metal and the coins of that era. However, problems result in deductions and a lower net grade and condition. So, yes, problems are accepted but discounted accordingly in a net grade and condition befitting the the color and surface of the coin. After all many varieties are so uncommon and rare that even poor examples are treasured. What EACer woundn't want an AG3 cleaned and recolored S-79 reeded edge 1795 or an S-80 Jefferson head cent.!
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies Aegis3 and 1798CentCollector. With EAC, are coppers still being cleaned and recolored today or is it mostly past transgressions? Since EACers don't seem to rely on TPGs as much, I've been wondering if doctoring/cleaning is less prevalent in EAC today compared to other numismatic areas that rely more on TPGs?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's ALL being ruined? ALL is a lot. I don't think it's ALL being ruined.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    This arrived in the mail today . The scans do not do this original piece justice. Private collections hold alot of original pieces.
    Yepper, private collections
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    I don't think that that many really nice original coins are being tampered with - IMO. A nice original coin is cherished by modern day EACer's and typically rewarded for it's originality - with choice, average plus, or average condition description and usually a decent net grade. "Nice" coppers have been retoned and recolored - the original color may have been unattractive or maybe someone was trying in vain to get a mint red copper - typically the ones I've seen are usually older recolorings. It's problem and/or unattractive coins that usually are going to be worked on in an attempt to "improve them". Many do look a lot better as a result. An expert recoloring can be almost impossible to detect.

Many coppers are simply "cared for" by their owners - brushing and using xylol to safely remove debris and Blue Ribbon or CARE to protect the coins. Copper reacts to the environment must be "cared for" over the long term.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The TPGs need to stop this nonsense of rewarding dipped-and-stripped coins.

That's probably backwards. It's more that the TPGs punish coins that are "too original". >>

Ain't that the truth. image

Not only do they "punish" the grade, they may just bag the darn coin. Coins that have pastel toning from kraft envelopes are now bagged as "Questionable Color". In these instances one is almost "forced" to dip a coin to make it saleable. image
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are still collectors relatively new to numismatics that appreciate un-messed-with coins:

I'm one of them...
  • Options
    In muscle car terminology a "survivor" is an original unrestored automobile (obviously getting harder and harder to find).
    Perhaps the coin community can borrow that term.
    molon labe
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I'm doing my part. image

Every time I see an original classic head I grab it. unless of course the price is out of hand.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TK

Nice set of 8 Reales.
  • Options
    I can't see the coins , they are too dirty! image
  • Options
    They will all be "original" again in 10 years.

Again, they will all be "original" again in 10 years. Just put them in an album and let them re-tone.

You don't think the "original" skin you crave is really original, do you? It is just 10 years or more of tarnish.

Originally these coins were carried in peoples' pockets with other coins. They rubbed against each other. They got dirty. They tarnished. They're covered in hairlines from the coins they rubbed against and the pocket material.

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The TPGs need to stop this nonsense of rewarding dipped-and-stripped coins.

That's probably backwards. It's more that the TPGs punish coins that are "too original

This is scary; I've agreed with Andy twice in one week's time! He's absolutely right. The only toned coins which upgrade are those with booming luster / eye appeal. Imo, an original toned coin which is not a monster will not upgrade, nor will it cross from being in an NGC holder.

In terms of ruining coins, all you have to do is look at about 80% of slabbed Bust $s in various grades of AU. Look at the bright white centers which resemble those of a Washington Quarter, and the fine lines screaming "I have been cleaned!" Some of these coins have retoned over the years. Ditto re the plethora of pretty, toned CBHs in MS 65 which 'mysteriously' appeared in the last five years.

Jon, I see your point, but it's old news. This phenomena has just spread to other series of coins in the last few years.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Original seems to have become the new catch phrase of coin dealers. Did a memo go out or something? >>

If you were part of the inner circle you would have been informed.image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is scary; I've agreed with Andy twice in one week's time! He's absolutely right. The only toned coins which upgrade are those with booming luster / eye appeal. Imo, an original toned coin which is not a monster will not upgrade, nor will it cross from being in an NGC holder. >>

Well actually, you agreed with Andy from 15 months ago. I suspect his view has not changed on this, though. image
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    me and my wife went to her Mom's house this morning and pulled an old kitchen table out of the basement. it's in the garage now until a friend can take a look at it to make a few repairs to a crack, squaring up the leaves/joints and replacing the wooden castors with some leg extensions. then we'll strip and refinish it.

i wonder if that makes us bad people, not using it in its original condition??
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i would like to add putting a dipped coin in an album does not
    make the coin original again. it just makes it toned in a very
    obvious way and results in the usual response of dipped and
    retoned.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>me and my wife went to her Mom's house this morning and pulled an old kitchen table out of the basement. it's in the garage now until a friend can take a look at it to make a few repairs to a crack, squaring up the leaves/joints and replacing the wooden castors with some leg extensions. then we'll strip and refinish it.

i wonder if that makes us bad people, not using it in its original condition?? >>

You need to watch the Antique Road Show.

"If this table wasn't refinished, it would be worth $10,000, but with the new finish, it's only worth $1000."

I think the tide will change and the original coins will be worth more in the long run.

Personally, I can't stand a 100+ year old coin that looks new. It looks fake to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file