Options

Ok, if you don't like this toner...

...the words absolutely gorgeous are not in your vocabulary.image

This Morgan looks awsome!!!image
image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't disagree with your opinion on this one, but when I can still buy coins like this(one side toning, no special pattern) for 10% of what your linked coin is priced at, who needs that one? You and one other collector that equates high price with desirability?imageimage
    If ya wanna look affectionately at an "Arizona sunset" why not get on a plane and go there for the real thing. And at about 20% of what the coin cost.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Its alright.

Too weak of a strike for my taste. I love the color, but the weak strike is really distracting. Would be a PQ 64 in my book and no more than a $400 coin.

• Options
    This one is much better than the ones linked eariler today
  • Options
    I agree, very pretty coin. Ridiculous premium.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    <You and one other collector that equates high price with desirability?>

Wait a minute now, was I under a false impression? I always thought that high price equals high eye-appeal.image

• Options
    image Dizzyfoxx Dyslexic?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options

<< <i>image Dizzyfoxx Dyslexic? >>

Poll: How many worthless posts can be posted in a given thread (besides this one of course)?image
  • Options
    How 'bout we start with the OP.

• Options

<< <i>How 'bout we start with the OP. >>

touche.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image Dizzyfoxx Dyslexic? >>

Poll: How many worthless posts can be posted in a given thread (besides this one of course)?image >>

In his case, it's limitless. coindeuce means useless post on his planet image
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I like it, and would be a buyer at many multiples of greysheet. Unfortunatly for the seller and myself, he's wants more multiples than I want it for. I suspect there are multiple buyers that feel silmilarly.

-David
  • Options
    Upon further review, this post has been found to have been made in jest. Ahh yes, jest in time.

• Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I have seen that coin in hand.Very nice color,fairly clean 65,decent pop for an O mint,but weak strike.I didnt think it was worth more than 1500,and wouldnt make my keeper collection.Therefore someone paid more than my max would have been.JMHO.
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Because the strike on the reverse doesn't look as bad as that on the obverse, I'd say this coin be could be worth a little more than Bestclser1's figure. Otherwise, I'd fully agree with his assessment. How much for the same coin with a full strike? In that case, the seller would be in the ballpark at his current asking price, IMO.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its alright.

Too weak of a strike for my taste. I love the color, but the weak strike is really distracting. Would be a PQ 64 in my book and no more than a $400 coin. >>

Agreed. I hate weak strikes -- personally I would trade a strong strike for a few hits (if I had to).

In the case of the 83-O Morgan, you don't have to. The strike on about 75% of 83-O Morgans suck, but there are so many of them that it is possible to find one with a decent strike.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I guess my vocabulary just dropped by two words because I've seen other toned coins that I like MUCH better. I personally wouldn't pay more than spot for this.
  • Options

<< <i>Because the strike on the reverse doesn't look as bad as that on the obverse, I'd say this coin be could be worth a little more than Bestclser1's figure. Otherwise, I'd fully agree with his assessment. How much for the same coin with a full strike? In that case, the seller would be in the ballpark at his current asking price, IMO. >>

Someone else agreed as coin sold for 1725.image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ridiculous.... I feel bad for people that throw away their money on this type of thing... (yes, it is their money, they can do what they want).. the trouble is, they really feel they have done well, and made an investment. Rubbish. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I don't like the easter egg toning.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    It's not a matter of liking the coin. It's a matter at liking it for 20x sheet.

I don't know if there's ANY coin I like that much.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...the words absolutely gorgeous are not in your vocabulary.image

This Morgan looks awsome!!!image >>

Nice coin, but absolutely overpriced comes to mind, not "absolutely gorgeous".
  • Options
    My O-mints get 63ed with a strike like that!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Hmmm, Bestclser1 knows how much this coin sold for and that price isn't yet posted on the seller's E-bay site. Interesting.

The reported selling price of $1725 is about what one would expect this coin to bring today in a competitive retail market. Whether this, or any coin for that matter, is a good investment remains to be seen. What I can tell you is that a coin like this would have brought about one-fifth of this price 10 years ago. The resulting 18 percent annual rate of return is probably far better than the returns earned by most numismatic properties during the same period. So, I'd be careful about asserting with such certainty, as is often done here, that the future propspects for this coin or one like it are dim, unless you have a better crystal ball than most of us have.
  • Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭
    The toning is pretty nice for an 83-O, but the crappy strike kills it for me. No way I part with $1700 for an ms64, even with that color.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I don't do morgans and I don't care for toned morgans like this much.

But I'll come to the defense of this coin. The market sets the price and what people are willing to pay for it is the market. Dizzy and several other forum members really like the coin. It hasn't been snapped up at the current price so the market value probalby is less than what is posted but I'd say it is significantly more than sheet--probably a multiple rather than a percentage.

We are quick to criticize a high price paid for a coin that is premium quality or preceived premium quality (very similar to the 70 grade as well) but without these coins leading prices higher the appreciation we see in our portfolios wouldn't occur, or would occur much more slowly. And without people willing to pay what seem like outrageous prices we would never see the excitement of the amazing unique coins we see sold from time to time.

--Jerry
  • Options
    Marshall,No psychic or anything,just sold in Long Beach auction,and i saw it ahead of time,and was probably the 2nd underbidder.image
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a pretty rainbow, but give me a break. $3000 for that coin is obscene. Only a fool would spend that
    much money. That coin is also very poorly struck to make matters worse. I can see perhaps spending if
    I was in a generous mood, three to four hundred dollars for that coin. Rainbows on the internet always
    seem to be juiced up. With coin in hand, they never are as colorful as portrayed.

Bruce
  • Options

<< <i>It's a pretty rainbow, but give me a break. $3000 for that coin is obscene. Only a fool would spend that
    much money. That coin is also very poorly struck to make matters worse. I can see perhaps spending if
    I was in a generous mood, three to four hundred dollars for that coin. Rainbows on the internet always
    seem to be juiced up. With coin in hand, they never are as colorful as portrayed.

Bruce >>

Actually,as i stated before,i saw the coin and was an underbidder on it.I dont know the seller,BUT his pics are very accurate in portraying color and luster.
  • Options
    very vibrant!
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Price is way too high.

Strike is poor.

The line by the nose is distracting.

Super nice colors, but the strike and line are distracting.

$500
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    On a relative scale of value that would make this one worth what?

• Options
    $60?
  • Options

<< <i>$60? >>

image Maybe for the picture, with Dizzyfoxx's autograph.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>$60? >>

image Maybe for the picture, with Dizzyfoxx's autograph. >>

$60 per letter pehaps.image
  • Options

<< <i>I don't disagree with your opinion on this one, but when I can still buy coins like this(one side toning, no special pattern) for 10% of what your linked coin is priced at, who needs that one? You and one other collector that equates high price with desirability?imageimage
    If ya wanna look affectionately at an "Arizona sunset" why not get on a plane and go there for the real thing. And at about 20% of what the coin cost. >>

hey, don't degrade the Arizona sunset..............image
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • Options
    I prefer my "Arizona sunrise" above. Purchased for common date money.image

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey dizz, your making me dizzy.......you did go from a tone loner, to a tone questioner, to a tone doubter and now back to a tone lover right?
    Did I get that order correct buddy???
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

<< <i>Hey dizz, your making me dizzy.......you did go from a tone loner, to a tone questioner, to a tone doubter and now back to a tone lover right?
    Did I get that order correct buddy??? >>

I am actually 'all of the above', as every true collector should be. Love the ones you love, question everyone one of them, doubt each one 'til your confident it's real, and love the ones you love.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file