Home U.S. Coin Forum

SlimeBay New

skier07skier07 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'll try again.

I began a post about negging a seller about a week ago. I purchased an 1881S Morgan dollar from the below seller. As it turns out he bought the same coin on ebay and resold it
to me. Notice how he was the only bidder when he bought the coin and when he resold it to me there were 23 bidders. Look at the difference in images between the two listings.

For your entertainment and viewing pleasures:

Seller Purchase

Resale

Bruce

Comments

• I don't think there is anything wrong with it. He was trying to flip it for a profit. The profit he made barely covered his listing fees and if you paid by paypal, he probably lost money. Still a very nice coin at a price you can live with.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • It's interesting that in the auction that he won, the images give absolutely no indication of that area you don't like at 4 o'clock. Yet he was the only bidder. It looks much nicer in that auction. At least you can tell there's something there in the auction you won.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that it supports the theory that a no reserve, low minimum ebay auction gets more action and higher prices realized than a high starting price auction.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the number of bids is deceptive since his single opening bid of $525 to obtain the coin was higher than 21 of the 23 bids that he received when it was relisted starting at 99 cents.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is it "slimebay"?
    What should ebay have done, that they didn't, in your mind, that makes you state the nickname that you are giving them?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>Why is it "slimebay"?
    What should ebay have done, that they didn't, in your mind, that makes you state the nickname that you are giving them? >>

It is slimebay because there is a proliferation of dirtbag coin "sellers" that inhabit the place. Ergo, slimebay.
    imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111

<< <i>

<< <i>Why is it "slimebay"?
    What should ebay have done, that they didn't, in your mind, that makes you state the nickname that you are giving them? >>

It is slimebay because there is a proliferation of dirtbag coin "sellers" that inhabit the place. Ergo, slimebay. >>

Oh, so it is sarcasm at ebay for something they don't really control? I see now. Kind of schoolage style, right?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Actually, no. Kind of reality. Many on here would echo the same sentiments.

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111

• << <i>I believe the number of bids is deceptive since his single opening bid of $525 to obtain the coin was higher than 21 of the 23 bids that he received when it was relisted starting at 99 cents. >>

No clue what you're talking about. OP's point is about the images in each auction. You must have missed his original thread, where he wants to neg the seller although what he doesn't like on the coin is shown in the images of the auction he won. He and many others didn't mind the coin in those images. Capiche?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• I don't get it...
    The seller didn't do anything wrong.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "The seller didn't do anything wrong. "

///////////////////////////////////

It looks like the only thing he did wrong
    was lose money on the deal; although,
    maybe he barely broke even.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • nothing slimey about it.
  • At least the seller left feedback for the original seller, before he flipped it. When these types buy a coin from me to flip, they usually don't leave feedback.
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I referenced the title slimebay because the seller is a dirtbag, slimebag, however you want to describe him.

Am I blaming ebay? Not really. It's impossible for them to police every auction. But they have an obligation
    to both the buyer and seller to provide an environment where integrity exists.

Is this seller a thief? Is he committing fraud? Yes. He intentionally and deliberately misrepresented his item.
    Go get a dictionary and look up the definition of fraud.

Did he make a lot of money? No, but his motives are very transparent.

For those of you who don't see it this way I really feel sorry for you and I certainly would not want to conduct
    business with you. I hope you don't sell items in this manner.

I'm out for the night.

Bruce
  • I think he should have mentioned the spot, especially, given the bad pics. I've pointed out flaws and it's cost me, but I feel obligated to do that.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Ahhh, yes. It all comes back much too clearly, now.

That is the coin with what looked like a little grease
    mark on it. Some folks saw it in the photos, some
    did not.

PCGS (or somebody) can likely make that spot go away.

BUT, the coin still graded like it did, with the spot on it.
    Maybe, absent the spot, it would have graded much
    higher; and, sold for much more.

Still a nice coin, though.

The first seller's pics were better.

It does not seem to merit a HUGE controversy, to me.
    If the spot gets removed, it's not really a problem at all.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Hi Skier07,

I Ski too....just went to Snowshoe WV last weekend..

Im. not sure what you take issue with....what did the seller do wrong?

AL
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the seller did not buy this to flip at all. Perhaps upon arrival he decided he did not likeit and chose to sell it to get his dough back?

JMO

Steve
    Good for you.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I doubt he flipped it, he has this on sale:

Washington Dollar P Error? Upside Down Incused Letters

Steve

Good for you.
  • VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is the coin with what looked like a little grease mark on it. Some folks saw it in the photos, some
    did not. >>

Does anyone have a better picture of the spot that skier07 has a problem with. If it is really excessive, the original buyer on eBay may be looking to just get rid of the coin and wasn't buying the coin to resell for a profit.
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my website www.vtcoins.com

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.
  • bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    There are many examples of poor seller behavior, but calling a specific person a THIEF on a specific transaction because you regret purchasing a graded coin on Ebay because you think the pictures were misleading sounds very close to libel.( when it's clear the seller didn't really even profit) .......safe to say some of the buyers are clearly as bad as some of the sellers it seems.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caveat Emptor.... Cheers, RickO
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruce doesn't want to take any of the responsibility for bidding and winning the auction, which had very clear terms.

PAYPAL......MONEY ORDER........PERSONAL CHECK......ALL ACCEPTED.....PERSONAL CHECKS MUST CLEAR BEFORE ITEM SHIPS....INSURANCE IS INCLUDED IN FLAT RATE SHIPPING CHARGE....ALL COINS HAVE A FULL 7 DAY RETURN PRIVELEGE EXCEPT 3RD PARTY GRADED (SLABBED)COIN SALES ARE FINAL.......PLEASE EMAIL WITH ANY OTHER QUESTIONS.........SCOTT&BRAD.........
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Skier07,

I Ski too....just went to Snowshoe WV last weekend..

Im. not sure what you take issue with....what did the seller do wrong?

AL >>

The seller doesn't see it Skier07's way so that makes him a

<< <i>dirtbag, slimebag >>

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just remind yourself that with e-commerce one must pay attention to ALL of the fine print.

Don't be fooled by pictures and plastic slabs. Be wise to seller's tactics.

HE>I

• notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Skier7,
    I'd say with this post you've made several blocked bidders lists.

I agree with the other posters that the seller did nothing wrong. Neither set of photos is anything to brag about and I don't see the perceived deception. --Jerry
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Not seeing any problem with the seller here, nor with eBay.

What's your problem, skier07?
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Obviously you have a strong opinion of both the seller and eBay.

Perhaps finding another outlet for acquiring coins would be best for you in the long run. To truly have a coin that is correct for the grade and meets your expectations; I think you'd need to purchase it subsequent to seeing the coin in hand. That would avoid a lot of the frustrations you are having to deal with.

Not to take away from your opinion in any way, but in my opinion, the seller did not do anything wrong.

• << <i>The first seller's pics were better. >>

storm, you've made the point against the OP, although inadvertantly. The first seller's pics are better, for the first seller. The buyer cannot see the portion of the coin at 4 o'clock that the OP has a problem with, and bought without knowing it was there.

However, when he sold, and the OP bought versus many other willing bidders, the area around 4 o'clock was shown. And yet it still generated lots of spirited bidding.

So, and I'll go slowly here, first buyer bought without knowing because the images don't show. They are flattering to the coin, not revealing. First buyer then sells it but includes image that are not flattering to the coin in that they show the area that our OP doesn't like. He is honest about revealing.

So, original seller with nice but concealing pics, bad. First buyer/second seller with revealing pics, good! Does not deserve a neg!

Man......one must hate it when they post a thread here trying to get support and courage from people seeing it their way, only to find out that most people seeing it the other way.... image

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For those of you who don't see it this way I really feel sorry for you and I certainly would not want to conduct >>

So its a "my way or the highway" kind of deal? I hope I never do business with you then either.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Skier, you are dead wrong. The seller is not doing anything wrong by reselling his coin. He can do whatever he wants with it.
    Yep! It does.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This situation is exactly the reason that TPG is somewhat a farce. In this auction, the pic of the Label was just fine, and the pic of the coin was obscure. This seller knew exactly what he was doing, just like the ones who can't spell "uncircuolated?" and "I don't know anything about coins, but..........."

This situation is exactly why ebay is the wrong place to place alot of trust in human nature. I was reminded of this just recently myself. If the pic sucks and feedback doesn't look right - clarify or don't buy.

For ebay's part, they do practically nil when misrepresentation is involved. You can wade through alot of paperwork though, and ebay's assumption is that you will eventually give up and move on. Ebay could care less if you get scammed by misrepresentation. And that's the issue here.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    What relationship does Ebay have with TPG being a farce?

The name is LEE!
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that TPG is somewhat a farce is not related to ebay per se.

By virtue of changing grading standards, any slab can contain a coin that exceeds or does not meet today's grading criteria. That being the case, any slab can be misrepresented simply by taking a crumby pic of the slab, but a great pic of the Label, and then selling it on ebay.

Really, the distinction between TPG-graded coins and raw coins is well-recognized, and has been for some time, "buy the coin, and not the plastic......"
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, no. Kind of reality. Many on here would echo the same sentiments. >>

I have had over 1,000 transactions on Ebay, with only one misstep; five mercury dimes that never arrived worth about $15.00. Other than that I have built a whole collection of Barber halves which are now 100% complete and listed on the PCGS registry, and have sold hundreds and hundreds of duplicates that I have upgraded or grown tired of, earning me oodles and oodles more than if I had traded them, sold them on antiquated bid/boards at coin shops or sold them to a coin dealer. Not to mention a hundred different coins of every denomination that now fill my collection from Gold to paper currencies that I can sell at my convenience for what a dealer could without any of the overhead.

Ebay (and the larger internet) has no equal comparison in enabling the common collector to participate in the buying of selling of coins in the history of numismatics.

As for the poster. You bought a coin with large images and a return policy, and you paid only $40 more than the seller originally paid. I cannot understand the dilemna with your situation.

Tyler
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ebay (and the larger internet) has no equal comparison in enabling the common collector to participate in the buying of selling of coins in the history of numismatics. >>

You think this is one of the reasons many of the big dealers hate it so?
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    It is slimebay because there is a proliferation of dirtbag coin "sellers" that inhabit the place. Ergo, slimebay.

So how is that any different than a coin show or the ads in a coin weekly?
  • ebay is the ultimate commercial venue for the individual to take personal responsibility for buy and sell transactions. Some can handle the responsibility, some can't.

Boy you guys really have misguided principals if you don't have a problem with this. If this doesn't bother you I'd have
    serious qualms about doing business with any of you. I would serious question your integrity about life in general.

For the record there is nothing wrong with flipping a coin. We live in a capitalistic society. We have the greatest economy in the world. G-d bless the seller
    if he wants to make or in this case try to make a profit on this coin. I have no problems with that. But it's painfully obvious that he bought the coin
    with the intention of reselling it and he hid the defect on the coin. The original seller makes it very
    apparent that the coin has this ugly brown mark on it. He also has a three day refund on his sale. My seller hides this
    as best as he can.

The second seller deliberately took lousy photos. He doesn't offer a refund. Retrospectively the spot is visible.
    The seller IMHO is a dirtbag. This is fraud. I am not committing libel. If the seller thinks so let him bring it on to
    me.

I'm sorry if you can't see this. I hope you all have better moral compasses in life if this is what you are showing
    now.

It will be a long time until I buy a coin again online. After going to the Long Beach Show when I can see twenty
    coins with the same grade on slabs I done with this.

I couldn't care less about the $600. That's lunch money in Southern California. But I am bothered by being
    screwed.

Out.

Bruce

• << <i>I referenced the title slimebay because the seller is a dirtbag, slimebag, however you want to describe him.

Am I blaming ebay? Not really. It's impossible for them to police every auction. But they have an obligation
    to both the buyer and seller to provide an environment where integrity exists.

Is this seller a thief? Is he committing fraud? Yes. He intentionally and deliberately misrepresented his item.
    Go get a dictionary and look up the definition of fraud.

Did he make a lot of money? No, but his motives are very transparent.

For those of you who don't see it this way I really feel sorry for you and I certainly would not want to conduct
    business with you. I hope you don't sell items in this manner.

I'm out for the night. >>

I didn't see anything wrong. He bought a coin on eBay and then turned around and sold it. His pictures were not great but neither were the original seller's pictures. The mirrors seem weak for a DMPL but that is why you need to know what you are buying. You bought the coin. You had an opportunity to ask the seller a question if there is something you couldn't tell from the images. Judging by the seller's feedback, I don't think he is out to "scam" anybody. I also don't think it is wise for you to be calling him/her a "theif" and that he/she is committing "fraud". It is way out of line calling him/her a slimeball. Just remember, what you say about others reflects how people see you as well. I've updated my bidder list.

The second seller deliberately took lousy photos. He doesn't offer a refund. Retrospectively the spot is visible.
    The seller IMHO is a dirtbag. This is fraud. I am not committing libel. If the seller thinks so let him bring it on to
    me.

Did you look at his other photos? Probably not, they are all taken kind of like this one. I think it's just the way he images coins. You even said that the spot is visible in his auction photos.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
    Please update your list. Kindly remove me from it and we'll both be happier campers. Perhaps you may also
    want to get your eyes examined. Looking at small objects can potentially cause farsightedness.

Bruce
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could someone please tell me/show me where the spot is? Thanks!

• << <i>Could someone please tell me/show me where the spot is? Thanks! >>

I think this is what he is talking about. This is the seller's pictures where HE BOUGHT THE COIN FROM. It's pretty obvious he wasn't trying to "hide" the spot like skier is claiming.

Here's the original pictures from the sale that the seller bought it from. To me it sure seems that the auction skier bought it from showed the mark MUCH better than the original seller's photos.

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
    Look at the original sellers photo enlarged and you will see this brown spot at 4:00. The spot looks worse
    in person.

Comapre it to the images that my seller provided.

Bruce
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I tried to be polite in my first reply and will try in my next reply......

However before replying I must first take a moment to make sure my "moral compass" is aligned correctly.

• << <i>Look at the original sellers photo enlarged and you will see this brown spot at 4:00. The spot looks worse
    in person.

Comapre it to the images that my seller provided.

Bruce >>

Done, my conclusions remain the same. Would you like a shovel? China isn't far away.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruce, I can empathize with how you feel about the seller "dumping" a less than PERFECT coin in a top TPG holder, in a fashion that is less than stellar by most people who walk upright.
    He doesn't allow for a refund of SLABBED coins, so try and understand why most of us take the seller's stance. He made it clear.
    I don't think I would do business with a guy that doesn't offer some sort of return policy on ebay, but that is the chance we take. The seller doesn't want the coin and let it go for what the market bore.
    He didn't deserve a negative and you don't deserve to be blocked, either.

The coin could easily be sent to PCGS and if someone needs to be made whole , there is no real problem, is there ?
    The seller offers a return policy on any coin NOT in a slabbed holder and that is LIBERAL in itself.

I hope you can open up your mind a little bit and see why most of us take the position we do. Most of us are neither for or against you or the seller. We only process the information we have and make our comments based on that.

Kind regards,

Joe

HE>I

• << <i>

<< <i>Could someone please tell me/show me where the spot is? Thanks! >>

I think this is what he is talking about. This is the seller's pictures where HE BOUGHT THE COIN FROM. It's pretty obvious he wasn't trying to "hide" the spot like skier is claiming.

Here's the original pictures from the sale that the seller bought it from. To me it sure seems that the auction skier bought it from showed the mark MUCH better than the original seller's photos.

image >>

Bingo! I keep making this same point. By showing the images, you may have a better shot at it, Brandon. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file