Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official 1986 Topps Football Thread

Hello everyone! I thought I would see if anyone out their has any 1986 Topps football recent PSA grading stories? I see that the POP report is showing alot on recently graded cards from this set over the past 6 months. Over 3,000 of these cards have been submitted for grading over the past 1 year. It also looks like 17 plus people are currently collecting this set, so the popularity of this set is really increasing. Anyone who knows this set knows its the set of the 80s to collect. It has super rookie star power with RICE,YOUNG,WHITE,REED and SMITH and all of the other 80s superstars like 3rd YEAR Marino, Elway and all the other superstars like Payton and Montana. From a rarity stand point it is the lowest percentage PSA 10s to overall cards submitted, going all the way back to 1972 Topps football. PSA has had over 25,000 of these 86 football cards submitted and only 561 have received the PSA 10 grade only 2.2 % vs 1984 football at 3% and 1985 Football at 3.7%. Most people do not now 1986 has a much lower percentage of 10s than the other popular 1984 set and even the black boarder 1985 set. Here is some updated STATs.....

1984 Topps 38,000 submitted and 1,161 were graded PSA 10 = 3.0%
Elway RC 12,000 submitted and 48 PSA 10
Marino RC 13,800 submitted and 166 PSA 10
Dickerson RC 2,100 submitted and 28 PSA 10
Long RC 700 submitted and 12 PSA 10
Montana 780 submitted and 21 PSA 10

1985 Topps 15,671 submitted and 579 were graded PSA 10 = 3.7%
Elway 751 submitted and 0 PSA 10
Marino 2,200 submitted and 14 PSA 10
Moon RC 1,500 submitted and 15 PSA 10
Montana 833 submitted and 14 PSA 10

1986 Topps 25,000 submitted and 561 were graded PSA 10 = 2.2%
Rice RC 11,300 submitted and 41 PSA 10
Young RC 3,100 submitted and 3 PSA 10
White RC 700 submitted and 2 PSA 10
Smith RC 527 submitted and 5 PSA 10
Montana 411 submitted and 0 PSA 10
Elway 1,040 submitted and 4 PSA 10

I am hoping a few of you 1986 football collectors will see this message and we can start communicating with each other and share info about grading successes. I know its been tough grading for me over the past few months. I have opened a full rack case and picked out the very best 100 cards and submitted them. I have done pretty well in the past when I do this, so I know what to look for. I only send cards in I figure will grade PSA 9 or 10. When the grades came back I was very dissappointed. I received 1 PSA 10 common 55 PSA 9s and 44 PSA 8s. When I received them back I looked over the cards again, and I can not see any reason why more of them did not get PSA 10s and the 8s should have been 9s. O-well I guess I at least had some high quality 9s that I was able to sell to another collector thats building a PSA 9 set. Please let me know your grading stories on this set. I also am interested in purchasing any and all 1986 Topps football PSA 10s or BGS 9.5s if anyone has any of these for sale.
Thanks Kevin Roberson Elitecards@hotmail.com 1-916-275-2897
Always buying 1986 Topps Football PSA 10's and BGS 9.5 even commons! Top dollars paid!!

Comments

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    1986 is a great set, and I prefer its design over 1985. Its checklist is definitely stronger, and its every bit as condition sensitive. I still like '84 better for checklist and design, though image. My only significant experience with '86 is in the Marcus Allen cards in the set. His base card seems to be one of the easier 10's to get, with 5 already graded. There is only one team leader 10, that I didn't have to pay too strongly for. The rushing leader with Gerald Riggs is a little tougher, no 10's yet. The biggie however IMHO is the #1 card in the set, Allen Record Breaker. I bid pretty aggressively for the only PSA 10 last year, and fell way short. It sold for more than a PSA 10 Allen RC!

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Hey Kevin,

I'm on board and have been having a blast building this set. Thanks to the support of several I've built 65% of in just under two months. Thanks for getting this bandwagon going!

Bill
    WJF

Buying Mike Schmidt basic PSA 10's, rookie QBs
  • Options
    Hello Bill
    Its nice to see that you found this 1986 football thread. This is the first time I have done this message board. Hopefully all of the 86 registery members will find it and we can have a very nice communication center that will help all of our sets. I don't know if i told you on our last Email. I just picked up a 1986 BGS 9.5 Young RC 1 of 2 out of over 1,000 submitted. I paid dearly for it but it's the nicest Young I have ever seen and I have seen 2 of the 3 PSA 10s.... I also picked up a 1986 BGS 9.5 Reed RC 1 of 1. I now have all of the 1986 football key rookies and star players in 9.5 and all the rookie in PSA 10 except for the Young and White PSA 10. I am still actively looking for both of these cards to purchase. You set looks like it's doing very well at 65% completed. Thats amazing you were able to get that far in a few months. I will continuee to be on the lookout for PSA 9s that you need. Thanks again for responding to the thread!!
    Kevin Elitecards
    Always buying 1986 Topps Football PSA 10's and BGS 9.5 even commons! Top dollars paid!!
  • Options
    Kevin,

Glad you found the boards!!

It seems like for a couple of years it was just you and I and of course MOSH building this set. It's good to see all the new sets coing up!

Bill has made leaps and bounds on his set (well part of yours...part of mine..part of Marks..lol) in such a short time.

You had said in an email once that your set should be married up to my set...and it never did happen. Then you sold your 9's....I broke my set....and low and behold...the set took off!!

Guess that makes us the old farts...or pioneers maybe...for the '86 set!! lol

I know I still have another handful to grade....and yes Bill, you get 1st dibs!!

I just hope alot of others join in....I really think that this set is the set of the 80's as well!! Maybe once the '85 hype dies down a little..people will realize that the '86s were where their $$ should have been.

But..I guess while the 85 wax prices stay lower than the 86's..it will be economics that dictate the market.

Bruce (5_stat)
  • Options
    Hello Bruce
    Its nice to hear from you. It's also nice to see that you are still keeping tabs of this set. It's to bad that you have moved on to different collecting interests, your PSA 9 set was very nice and well on it was to getting completed. Breaking your set did however get a number of other people interested in the set. You stated that you have more of the 1986 football to be graded. I know Bill will want the PSA 9s , however if you get 10s I hope you give me first shot at those. I hope to hear from you later on this thread, I am sure your knowledge on this set will be very helpfull to other collectors.
    Thanks again
    Kevin
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    One thing I always liked about this set is that it has a ton of mid level rookies. It's a big one for Skins collectors (rookies of Gary Clark, Charles Mann, Wilbur Marshall, Earnest Byner and Jim Lachey) and plenty of other guys with strong followings, like Esiason and Kosar.
  • Options
    jonnycjonnyc Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Thought I would jump in this thread as well. I recently submitted 49 to PSA and got back 3 10's, 25 9's and 21 8's. I figured I would get a few eights since I had not submitted 86 T FB before. However, I couldn't be too unhappy as I got a 1/1 9 Veris #38 (no tens) and the three 10's were Leonard Marshall, Art Monk and Elway. Guess we know where all four Elways are now. So I felt very fortunate to say the least. At this point I need about 25% of the set so anyone with duplicate 9's for sale feel free to PM me. I'm also collecting tens when I can get them, but I bet Kevin will outbid me so check with him first!! image lol
    The stars I need yet are Kosar and Young.

I also have around 50 duplicate PSA 9's NQ that I would like to unload so PM me if you'd like to see the list. I have the 8's also if anyone is interested in them. I have recently sold some 78 T baseball 9's so see that thread if you want some feedback on those transactions.

Thanks Kevin for doing the research on the submissions. It's always interesting to see how these sets have evolved over time. Good luck to everyone collecting this set and hope we can help each other out from time to time.

Jon
  • Options
    Just opened first rack pack foung Young, White and Reed rookies. The Young is at best an 8. The White and Reed rookies have nice corners but are probably 70/30 centered. Was very happy even with the condition of the cards. Maybe wax packs will have better corners.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I had an Andre Reed come back PSA 10 last month...

Looking for a PSA 10 Sean Landeta RC from the set...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    There was an article in SMR a few months ago about the Joe Montana player set. It mentions that a 1986 Topps PSA 10 Montana will go for big bucks if it ever surfaces.
  • Options
    Hello
    You are correct about the 86 Montana being a high dollar card when a PSA 10 is graded. It will probally sell for 2-3 times book value. I currently own one of the 2 BGS 9.5 Montana's that exist. I have thought about crossing it over however I don't want to give up the BGS 9.5 grade! Thanks for adding to the thread. Hope to hear from you again.
    Kevin Elitecards.
  • Options
    Hello everyone !
    Its great to see such a nice responce to this 1986 Topps football thread!!! Everyone that has stated that they have PSA 10s (The Elway, Reed and others I will be a buyer if you are interested in selling them. I also have about 30 extra PSA 10s that we can do trading if you perfere. I also own about 1,000 raw cards that I kept from the 3 rack cases I have opened over the past few years. These are the best cards out of the 14,000+ cards from these rack cases. Please feel free to call me at 1-916-275-2897or Email me at elitecards@hotmail.com if you want to do any selling ,buying or trading...... I am also looking for the owners of the 1986 Steve Young PSA 10 and the 1986 Reggie White PSA 10. Please let me know if you know who owns these cards. I know MOSH owns one of the Youngs, I sold it to him 3 years ago. Please keep the messages coming, I am sure if we all continue to participate in this thread ,we can help each other build this exciting and tough to build set.
    Happy collecting and good luck grading !!
    Kevin Elitecards
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    i built this set from packs back in 86....ive upgraded quite a few cards.....my #1 set from childhood....woohoo!!!!

Loth
  • Options
    Giddy up! This is great. I see the research Kevin put into the initial post really got some attention. Thank you!

I have 25 to submit from Kevin's raw duplicates and hope to get mostly 9's. If anyone has 9's please let me know.

Thanks Kevin for lighting a spark and getting this thing going.
    Bill

WJF

• Options
    Bruce, I'm honored to have first dibs on the 9's!

My commitment to you, Kevin, Jeremy and Kelli is to "build" the set and not just buy it!

Thanks for your support everybody!
    Bill
    WJF

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I was lucky enough to have bought a quite a few of these in pack form back in the day. I will have to pull them out and take a look, most are at my parents. I do have the Rices et al here at home to look through.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Hello Everyone

I have a 86 football grading update. I friend of mine called last night and let me know he received his grades back from PSA on 40 1986 Topps football cards he sent in a few weeks ago. He was not happy with the results. He got 21 9s 14 8's and 5 7s. I know the person pretty well and he is pretty good at grading cards. I think PSA is going through a tough grading period. Bill I will let you know if I am able to get the 9s. You need 13 of them. I will do my best to pick them up for you! Everyone keep the updates coming so we can keep this an active thread. Happy collecting!
    Thanks Kevin Elitecards
  • Options
    Thanks Kevin, I'm always interested. I keep my registry up to date, so thanks for finding 13. I've got an offer out on 6 low pops but have not purchased or updated yet.
    WJF

• Options
    Guys... great thread. I remember collecting the set during my childhood.

Can we get some scans up in here?

-t
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    Scans you ask.....scans you get!!

For the life of me...I can't figure the Reggie White only getting a 9....the white on the corners are not touches...they are the start of another white stripe on the card....it's gorgeous!!

These were all from racks..and have been sold off in the last few months..

• Options
    Bruce,

thx -- they look great.

The White has a slight tilt--- as it seems ALL '86 topps do.

Is tilting commonplace with the 86's?

-t
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    Hello
    Here are some scans of my key 86 PSA 10 cards.
    Thanks Kevin Elitecards
  • Options
    Hello Well I tried to get some 86 PSA 10 scan up. I guess I don't know how to do it based on the fact they did not show up. If someone can tell me how I will add some 86 PSA 10 scan.
    Thanks Kevin
  • Options
    Kevin,

Here you go..

• Options
    Hello
    Thanks Bruce How did you do that. When I did it it only came up as a file. No picture! If you have time to send me an Email on how to do it I will post my other pictures. Thanks again I will try again!
    Kevin Elitecards

Part 2 : Hello See it only let me do one at a time and its only the JPG. How do I get it to show the picture and how do I grt more than 1 at a time?
    Kevin

Part 3 : Still can't figure it out. I am going to post my pictures on the PSA registery instead if anyone wants to look at them.
    Kevin

Part 4 : Another attempt at PICS
  • Options
    Hello Again

Well as you can see I figured out how to download pics to this message board. I know this is a PSA board but I thought due to the fact this thread is on 1986 Topps football we could also talk about 1986 Topps BGS 9.5s. If you think PSA is tough try to get these cards graded by BGS. Over 8,000 cards have been submitted and only 178 have ever received the BGS 9.5 grade. Some of the cards that are notables are as follows Jerry Rice BGS 9.5s only 14 exist in the world, Steve Young BGS 9.5 only 2, Reggie White BGS 9.5 only 2, Andre Reed BGS 9.5 only 1, Joe Montana #156 BGS 9.5 only 2 and zero PSA 10s, Bruce Smith BGS 9.5 only 2, and John Elway only 2 BGS 9.5s. After years of looking for these I own each of these cards. There is another collector that lives in Hawaii that owns most of the rest of these very rare 86 cards. Here are some pictures.

OK on to the next subject. I am thinking about buying a large quanity of unopened 86 vending boxes. I have opened up rack pack cases, wax cases and even cello's, however I have never opened up vending boxes. Can some let me know what kind of cards they have found when opening the vending boxes. I don't know if they are of the same quality and condition as rack packs. How has the centering beeen compared to other types of wax? Any info on this topic would very very helpfull.
    Thanks I hope to hear from some of you soon!!!

Kevin Roberson Elitecards
  • Options
    jonnycjonnyc Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Some of you have posted some nice scans of some great card examples. Thanks!

My latest send in to PSA that I mentioned in an earlier post were from rack packs. I've never seen any 86 T FB in vending although I'm sure they're out there. I hope to send in a few more cards over time when they run special deals.

Also I still have about 16 PSA 9 NQ cards left including a Reggie White rookie, Montana passing leaders, and a few other stars. I also have one Jim McMahon (lower pop) and several Art Monks and two LT's. If anyone else would like to see the complete list I would be happy to send it out via email or PM. Also have about 20 PSA 8's including 2 Reggie Whites.

I have made some sales with some of you and I thank you all for that. It will help to keep the family happy!!
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely beautiful cards, Kevin. Nice!
  • Options
    JonnyC,

Please let me know what #'s you have available PSA 9 NC.

Kevin,

Are you selling the recent PSA 9s you got back or were able to track down through another source? I just picked up another 6 (not posted yet) including the Elway. Paid $10/ ea delivered.
    WJF

• Options
    Hi guys,

I've been looking for a 1986 PSA 9 Tony Dorsett for my TD set if anyone happens to have one available for sale

please PM me if you do

thanks, Dave
  • Options
    Hello Bill
    I talked to my friend about the 9s. He says he wants to keep them for now. I think he is noticing this set is starting to gain interest and he wants to hold on to his for now. He did just sent in another 100 cards from the set. I will keep working on him and if I get them you will be the first to know.
    Thanks Kevin
  • Options
    Thanks for creating the hype! lol

WJF

• Options
    Going through the raw cards I purchased from Kevin, I'm finally submitting my first batch of 17 to be graded. Since I've built the set so quickly from others selling, I have 62 beautiful cards that were ready to submit for grading (in Card Saver I) but I already have in my registry.

For the 62 raw cards, ready to grade (including: record breakers, Howie Long, Dickerson, Elway, LT, Art Monk, Dave Kraig, Largent, NFL Leaders, Fouts, Andre Reed, Checklists)
    #'s: 396, 394, 391, 388, 383, 353 (2), 338, 337, 336, 311, 308, 306, 296, 284, 280, 270, 266, 265, 232, 231, 229, 228, 226, 225, 212, 203, 201, 200, 188, 175, 172, 163, 151, 150, 141, 139, 131, 128, 124, 118, 117, 115, 112, 111, 96, 78 (2), 72, 67, 61, 54, 39, 35, 30, 29, 28, 22, 12, 5, 4, 1

$100 delivered OBO.

I can get scans if needed but will take a week. I would prefer to offer a money back guarantee if not satisfied! I expected nothing less than 8's and 9's (mostly 9's).

Send an e-mail if interested: bfeldmaier@yahoo.com or call cell: 248-915-8725.

Thanks!
    Bill
    WJF

• Options
    Ok I cant stand it no more. I keep reading this thread and have decided what the hell I just ordered 2 86 boxes from bbce . Hopefully I pull a 10 montana. I never busted 86 football so this will be fun
  • Options
    Hello
    Its great to see a new member to the 86 football club! Good luck on that Montana PSA 10 !!! If you get it I will be a buyer !!! Please let everyone know how you do. This page was started to get updates and PSA grading stats. Please let us know how many cards you are sending it and the PSA 10 9 and 8 that you get graded.
    Thanks Kevin
    P.S Just a tip.. I have pulled my best cards from rack packs, then wax 2nd and cellos have been the toughest to get high quality cards from! Does everyone else agree or disagree ???
    Kevin Elitecards
  • Options
    I have pulled my best cards from rack packs, then wax 2nd and cellos have been the toughest to get high quality cards from!

Ditto.....racks have been BY FAR the best for me.

Wax is good too...as long as it's case fresh....the blacked out boxes tend to have been handled too much!!
  • Options
    The 1985 football is Awesome and beautiful!!! I wish I had more!!
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Hey Guys,

What are realistic ebay prices for 84, 85, 86 wax, racks and cello's nowadays? I've got a bunch I was thinking about listing ... but the closed auction ebay searches seem to be all over the place in closing prices.

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    Hello This is Kevin
    I can only speak for the 86 football. Wax boxes sell for between $275-$350 and rack boxes sell for between $350 and $450. If you have any rack boxes I may be interested in purchasing them. Thanks Kevin 1-916-419-0179
  • Options
    I couldn't believe my eyes...two 1986 Football PSA 9 auctions just ended on eBay. I won one of them and am glad I didn't touch the other. Things are indeed heating up as I paid $16 for an Eric Hipple PSA 9. The story of the day...$85 delivered for the Dorsett (five different bidders).

Anyone else think that's nuts?
    WJF

• Options
    I noticed that and thought it was a little crazy. I picked up one of the cheap Dorsett lots of mostly early 1980's PSA 9 cards for $16.00.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Hello
    To be honest I am not suprised. This set is going to start increasing in value as more people start collecting it. PSA 10s are tough to find so it makes sence the 9s will start going up! That plus the fact he's a HOF player makes it a reasonable sale!
    Kevin
  • Options
    <<<<<hmmmm making mental notes.......thinking he's giving too good a deal on some lots lately....>>>
  • Options
    4 Sharp Corners recently sold off several large PSA 9 lots for $4/card or less...
    WJF

• Options
    got bored at a show today and split a box of 86 cellos. The condition was as expected....but out of 12 cellos..I got 14 cards to grade.

no one big......but got a Rice that was 80-20...2 Youngs that might get 8's..so I'll leave 'em raw...

also ripped 2 boxes of 89 Fleer baseball....at $5 each and pulled a Ripken FF card.....along with Griffey's and Johnsons..image
  • Options
    Hello Anyone seen any 86 Football PSA 10s for sale recenty. Ebay has 4 but that's it ?? The PSA 10 POP report has been stuck at the 560's for the past few months. Please let me know! I will be going to the SF CA show this weekend so maybe I will find something there...
    Thanks Kevin
  • Options
    Kevin,

If you find a PSA 9 Steve Young at the show, I'll pay up to $175 for it.
    WJF

• Options
    Hello Bill
    I will look for a 86 Young PSA 9 , However if I find one I think it will be well above $175. I will let you know what I find on Sat. morning.
    Talk to you then!

Kevin

P.S A 1986 football PSA 10 common sold on Ebay for $10.50 tonight! Thats a great deal!
  • Options
    Anyone opened any of the 'grocery' rack packs? I'm wondering if the cards have the same corner problems as the cello packs. 1986 Topps football was the first set I collected as a kid and was thinking of picking up some packs to open and want to get the best condition cards. I know regular rack packs normally have the best cards but buying random loose packs off Ebay I am worried that they would be searched and/or the cards not truely mint because of being moved around alot.

The wax boxes on BBCE look pretty good but $375 is pretty pricey but they are atleast not the x-out boxes that you always see on Ebay that can be a mix match of packs put into a box.
  • Options
    Thanks Kevin,

I know the Young is harder to find but the SMR is still less than the Rice and it's been going for $200-$250. Call my cell if you find it or lots of other 9's. I'll be in San Diego, wish I could make it up to San Fran for the show! Enjoy! Stay out of trouble...
    WJF