Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I've decided on my path to follow

Some of you may remember me from my coming out post a few weeks ago but likely most of you don't. Basically to refresh you I'm completely new to the hobby and was introduced to coins by a family member who collects modern gold, over the Christmas holiday.

My first step was to get a copy of the Redbook and I took a long time with it. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent going over that little book. I knew that I wanted to begin collecting coins and that coins, especially the old and out of use ones, fascinated me. I used the Redbook to gauge which coins really blew my whistle.

Once I had a good idea of what I wanted to pursue I took a trip down to my local coin shop to do some window shopping. The patrons there were, well, let’s just say they were breathing. Regardless of them I actually did get to see in person many coins and hold several of them in my clumsy hands. At first I was pretty drawn to the tiny Three Cent coins from the Redbook but when I actually held one I was ASTONISHED at their size! I had read their diameter and understood they were small but it doesn't really sink in until you spend some time squinting over them. I came to the quick realization that although I liked them it was just not practical after taking into consideration my aged eyes. I then turned my efforts into seeing if any coin large enough for an old timer to appreciate would speak to me. After wearing out the pages in my Redbook even more I came to realize that the coin I kept going back to again and again was the Liberty Seated Dollar (page 207 is definitely the most worn of the book). I had looked at this coin, read what the book said and was always drawn to it. Of course next was looking at the pricing table and that's where my heart sank as it appeared they were mismatched with my allowable budget.

I went back to the coin shop a few days later just to look around and possibly glean a tidbit of wisdom or two. While in the shop I asked the proprietor to see a small set of Seated Dollar coins he had hanging on the wall. They were housed in a rigid plastic holder held together by plastic screws, quite impressive. The coins were all very heavily worn and dirty. The look of the coins was absolutely fantastic! The photos in the Redbook were of very high grade coins and nothing like what I was seeing on this day. After some conversation with the shop owner I was told that most of these coins, in this condition range, can be had for a price that fits well into my budget.

Right then and there the epiphany hit. A giant coin for my old eyes-a coin packed with history-a coin that in worn condition is oh so appealing to me-a coin that in this appealing condition is affordable with my budget. The deal was all but done at that very moment. I resisted, by the grace of God, the urge to buy one of these coins right there on the spot. Instead I took my new found passion and fueled it even more by purchasing a copy of The Liberty Seated Dollar 1840-1873. I had no idea that coin books could be so expensive! I bit the bullet though and brought the book home that day. Everything in the book cemented my fascination with this coin.

I have decided to collect the Seated Liberty Dollar coin. The wear condition range for this collection will be from AG-VF depending on the cost of the particular coin. I want to try to get all of the coins to have a similar look, this appealing look I mentioned earlier. It's a darker color with obvious signs of wear everywhere. The design elements of the coin are lighter than the background, presumably from the wear. This look gets my heart racing! The coin shop owner warned me that there are a handful of "key dates" that are well out of my price range in any condition. I can see the only problem to completing a set like this for me will be the coins dated 1851, 1852, 1858 and two of the Carson City made coins. I'm not overly concerned about this though, there are 38 other coins in the set I will focus my attention on. Who knows, maybe by the time I've got those 38 I'll be in a position to work on the heavy hitters.

So that's about it folks. I just wanted to pop in and share with like minded people the progress of my new hobby. I'm extremely excited about going forward with this (as you can probably tell by my book length posting) and hope to acquire my first within the next month or so. The searching for the right coin has officially begun! When I do make my first purchase I'll surely come and brag about it here for a few pages and I'd love to get everyone’s opinion on the coin.

Comments

• Options
    Nice post, Lance. Your discovery phase sounds like fun. And welcome.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Positively excellent approach and start in the hobby. The next step is to learn to image so as you build the set you can share.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Very nice choice! I made the same decision at the beginning of this year. This forum has many people that have great knowledge in the Seated dollar series including the man himself, tradedollarnut! JW, was the book you bought by White? Another must have is Bowers Encyclopedia of Silver Dollars (Book 1 is early bust and seated. Book 2 is morgan and peace dollars) even though it will cost at least a couple hundred dollars.

Good luck with your set,
    Mark
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    Good post DLDS!

Your story is not that different than any of ours. The bug has bitten you! There's no going backwards from here.

Just remember the purpose of all of this is enjoyment. Soon your choice of coins will be a tad more expensive (funny how that happens). Stay with what you like and like what you stay with.

You might make a little money when it's all said and done but don't let that distract you. Good luck.
    Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Great story, best of luck in this great hobby of ours that will get your heart racing for the coins you love.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Refreshing post!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Great step forward.

Wish I could be that focused. I seem to like just about everything.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I read your last post and wondered if you would go for something small and what that
    would be.....Nooooooooo, You went all the way! Good decision! Never been my choice but
    I think I too will look at them for my next direction and maybe you will inspire an old hoarder
    like me to get off my butt and go for something different. I've been hooked on Morgans for
    40 years....time to change don't you think?
    Good thread, keep us posted.
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! A coin collector is born. I remember going over and over the red book and blue book when I first started. There are lots of good references available now, and you are doing exactly the right thing - buy the book, before the coin. Good luck with your collection.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    image...Not another classic collector...!!
    Nice post..Sometimes when one looks back at the years that those coins were minted the history just comes into your mind.The times of the wild west or the early city life.There are many possibilities when we collect these true memories.....Great choice....image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I very much enjoyed reading about how you decided to focus on Seated dollars. I guarantee that a year from now, you'll look back on what you spent on that book and say it was the best money you spent! Books can add so much to the enjoyment of your collection.

Best of luck as you start your journey!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Congrats! You are someone who actually took the common advice and read the book before buying the coin.

I applaud your choice. It seems very practical, challenging, educational and you will end up with coins collectors will always desire.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    It sounds like you are on the right track!! image
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    It is very cool that you have allowed us to enjoy your thought processes in making this decision. One of the best things you have done, in my opinion, is avail your self to the scrutiny of this forum, and in the honest and open way in which you did it. I am sure, if you continue to seek advice here, you will get much valuable input. Congratulations and good luck with you collection! image
  • Options
    Fun post!! Good luck; now you have to start attending your first coin shows. One suggestion; if you want another short series that will give you the satisfaction of completing an entire set, think about the Flying Eagle cent (four coins) and easily one of the most beautiful U.S. coins.
  • Options
    Very nice, you will have fun! Welcome aboard!
    M39/10USNY:US1Cu10000:US5Ni3520:US10Ag94:US25Ag65:US50Ag18
    2000 Gallery PPI Registry Set
  • Options
    I think you made a great choice. I have aways liked seated dollars and think that you get a lot for your money when buying them.I've never figured out why they have never took off in price but i'm glad they haven't,perhaps someday they will take off like the bust dollar did, I hope I have a few by then.Good luck in your collecting.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Great Post, thanks for sharing.

Just stay away from any low end 1853's image
  • Options
    Great post and excellent choice! Kinda wish you had treated yourself to a coin--you obviously have a whole lot more discipline than I do. It sounds like you are going to do a date set--a smart move which gives you a lot more lattitude than trying a date/mm set. Your decision has inspired me to try a SLD "O" mint set--only 4 coins!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Great post, and an excellent, educated approach to your new-found hobby. Please keep us updated on your progress. - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent choice.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck in your pursuit.... and I must say, you have approached it in an excellent manner. Keep us posted.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great series. Have fun!!
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Thanks for all the great support everyone. I'm using my local coin shop, Ebay and a handfull of coin dealers I've found online as places to look for available coins. Are there any other sellers that you think might have good inventories of Seated Dollars in the condition I'm looking for?

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding post- thanks much for the thought process.

Before you buy anything from eBay, please listen to the many posts that will surely follow. There are good sellers and bad sellers.

This forum and others are important to you; I would hate to see your enthusiasm dampened by a bad purchase.

An appropriate purchase from a good B&M store (hopefully with a buy-back guarantee) will start you off on the right track.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice story, nice series
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<I took a trip down to my local coin shop to do some window shopping. The patrons there were, well, let’s just say they were breathing. >>

Hey, I've been there before, great place image
    welcome and enjoy.
  • Options
    Try Dick Osburn--you can google his Website. Or JJ Teaparty---both are good for Seated Liberty dollars.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post.image Soon you will be traveling to coin shows to see what is available and to learn more.image Good luck in you venture. Bob
  • Options
    Congrats and good luck. The hardest part is done, now come the second and third hardest parts. Finding the coins and resisting the temptation to cheat on your new love with that other shiny coin that isn't in your set but issitting there looking up at you asking to be taken home. image
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Great post Lance. I enjoyed reading it. Good luck with your Seated Dollar collection. The seated dollar is a great coin.
  • Options
    BigTomBigTom Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations.image You're systematic nature will no doubt shine thru in your set as strongly as it did in your post.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seated dollars will make a great choice. Can't wait to see your set materialize. Just a word of warning- these are one of the most often counterfeited US coins. Ebay is STOCKED with fake ones every day fo the week. Some of them are really deceptive fakes! Just be careful where you're getting your coins. And if you have any doubts about online sellers, post a pic & forum members will gladly help you identify fakes & problem coins. Repaired / tooled Seated dollars are also rampant in the marketplace.
  • Options

<< <i> Who knows, maybe by the time I've got those 38 I'll be in a position to work on the heavy hitters.

<< <i>

I have heard that it is better to get the key dates first. The downside is that you don't know the series well enough and could get sub par coins before you learn.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Be careful buying on ebay! Also, Dick Osburn has very nice inventory but i've also found that many of his coins are lightly cleaned. He will state this in the description so if you do buy from him read the descriptions carefully. I have bought many coins from dick and would also recommend him with that little side note.

Good luck on your set and have fun building it!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DayLateDollarShort, a great post and a super decision process. I would suggest studying the date positions and numerals as many of the fakes are deficient in this area. And the master of Seated Dollars is indeed Tradedollarnut, who posts here frequently. But it's a fun set to work on in circulated grades also, and the 1851 and 1852 are indeed very difficult and the 1870-S is nearly impossible. I believe Mr. Osburn has a circulated 1858 in his inventory that is one of the lowest grade ones and it might therefore be the most affordable one too.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file