Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone seen this type of Redfield holder?

What type of a Redfield holder is this? I have seen black before but it has said pparamount and a MS61 or ? Does nayone know what this is?link
Transactions..
wondercoin, duffman,PiecesOfMe, Smittys, LogPotato, Bumanchu, Tydye, segoja, Harry779, FullCameo, Twosidestoeverycoin, jmdm1194, rkfish, drewsef, Chrischampeo, Kaelasdad, Ahrensdad, Dabigkahuna, Barbwire, sebrown, mkman123, Gerard

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know what person or company produced this type of holder. However I picked up a stunningly toned MS Peace Dollar (more intense toning at the rims, with the toning fading as you progress towards the center of the coin, multicolored toning, with the raised bust of lady liberty and the eagle being blast white) in this type of holder. The cardboard insert into which the coin was placed must have caused the beautiful toning.

I also would like information about this type pf holder, including what person or company made it and when it was produced.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I am almost certain that the black holder is the first generation Paramount holder that they chose not to continue with and went to red.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paramount was big in the 70's wasn't it?

Are they in business today and if not when did they go out of business? As fra as first generation holders go, any idea when they were produced. For the Peace Dollar I mentioned, it would be good to have an idea how long it sat in the holder.

I cracked it out and the coin now sits in my Type Set Album.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Paramount was indeed big in the 70's, but is no longer in business. The coin was probably encapsulated in around 1975.

Even Redfield coins in original holders are worth more than the coin by itself.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    I have seen them in the same holder only in Red color, but with
    the grade MS 65 printed on them in gold color. It has been awhile, but the fact that they are LaVere's coins they bring good historical money despite the fact that all went through a coin counter and got ziinged! Cool piece of numismatic history.image
  • Options
    I have one of each, but I don't know for sure if the red holder, just labeled Paramount MS-65, was a REDFIELD coin....

The Black holder specifically states REDFIELD, but without a grade....

Pardon the dark images.. These are all I have handy at the moment.... (These were scans I made a while back, and the coins are in a SDB)

• Options
    Conder101 says:

"There are about 10 different Paramont holders

Paramount 1 Black holder, no grade, Redfield collection
    Paramount 1a Same but no mention of Redfield (Listed for completeness but I don't believe it exists)
    Paramount 2 Black holder, MS-60, Redfield collection
    Paramount 2a Same but no mention of Redfield
    Paramount 2b Same as 2a but grade in holder altered to 63 with blue label maker tape before sealing
    Parmaount 3 Red holder, MS-65, Redfield collection
    Paramount 3a Same but no mention of Redfield. Company name runs all the way across holder.
    Paramount 3a.1 Same as 3a but company name end half inch from sides of holder. lighter red, finer graining
    Paramount 3b Same as 3a but grade altered to 67 in the holder with red labelmaker tape before sealing
    Paramount 4 Green holder, grade MS-65 Plus Redfield collection
    Paramount 4a Same but no mention of Redfield.

If anyone knows of one other than these, or a 1a, I'd like to see it."
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I acquired this rare Redfield Mahogany Boxed set a few years back. Thought I would post some pics for the Redfield enthusiasts.

COA

Invoice

Best coin in the box
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Writersblock said:
    Conder101 says:

"There are about 10 different Paramont holders

Paramount 1 Black holder, no grade, Redfield collection
    Paramount 1a Same but no mention of Redfield (Listed for completeness but I don't believe it exists)
    Paramount 2 Black holder, MS-60, Redfield collection
    Paramount 2a Same but no mention of Redfield
    Paramount 2b Same as 2a but grade in holder altered to 63 with blue label maker tape before sealing
    Parmaount 3 Red holder, MS-65, Redfield collection
    Paramount 3a Same but no mention of Redfield. Company name runs all the way across holder.
    Paramount 3a.1 Same as 3a but company name end half inch from sides of holder. lighter red, finer graining
    Paramount 3b Same as 3a but grade altered to 67 in the holder with red labelmaker tape before sealing
    Paramount 4 Green holder, grade MS-65 Plus Redfield collection
    Paramount 4a Same but no mention of Redfield.

If anyone knows of one other than these, or a 1a, I'd like to see it."

Lazarus Thread Warning.

Has anybody ever seen one of these Paramount (not Redfield) holders sealed with the grade inside altered to MS-63 or MS-67? I did not invent MS-63 and MS-67 until early 1979 when ANACS began grading, and I did not know that Paramount was still using their "slabs" that late.

How rare are the black inserts with no grade but just the notation "A silver dollar from the Redfield Collection?"

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lazarus was only resurrected once.....

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

It MUST say "Redfield" on the holder or it is not one from that hoard.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rollerman said:
    It MUST say "Redfield" on the holder or it is not one from that hoard.

Yes, and I am not asking about a Redfield insert. I am asking about an altered Paramount insert.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2018 6:03PM

@Wabbit2313 seems to know a lot about the holders. Maybe he can chime in

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only seen the red holders... I knew there were black ones, but had not encountered them at shows... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file