Short answer: no way.

I have no interest in trying, either.
    mirabela
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Discipline.

Russ, NCNE

Maybe, but discipline won't be served if the coins are churned. >>

There's nothing in the concept that requires "churning". Discipline is served by setting a limit and and replacing a coin in the group only when a higher quality example is located.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    To me, the box is 20 is to collecting what reading a single page of 20 different novels is to literary appreciation. And, there is no way I could reduce my collection to just 20 items. Coolness in numismatics is to vast to limit oneself that way.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I don't think i could. image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    The box of twenty is a device for investment. By its very nature, it should be diversified as well. A good and typical box of twenty would be a type set or similar with 5% of the overall budget dedicated to each slotted coin roughly. I think I could do it. If and when I sell off my Morgan collection, I may very well used some of the proceeds to build such a box over time and just for something cheap for the real collecting fun. The boc itself could be fun, switching gears to locate gem and superb gem fabulous early type coins or things like that.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a really dumb idea. Once you hit 20, you would have to sell a coin for each new coin purchase. Sounds like "churn and burn" in the stock market. Since most collectors sell at wholesale and buys at retail, this would not be a good way to increase the value of your collection. I can see why some dealers like Jay Parino would like this concept. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could easily support the Box of Twenty concept, just as long as I'm allowed to own a few of them.

peacockcoins

• Options
    jgrinzjgrinz Posts: 985 ✭✭✭
    Just say Not gonna happen seeing as my 1883 Proof set is 10 coins already
    What do I do with all this GOLD image
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm currently doing a box of 20. The count at the moment is 9, some of which might actually be all time keepers. I was as high as 16, but some consolidation was necessary to acquire a few pieces.

If I ever fill the box to my satisfaction (ha!), I'll probably start another box.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    get down to 20?image

i'd have a problem getting down to 2000 coins!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easier if one is starting.

I could do it and would like to do it as I think the "less is more" concept is ideally suited to our market.
    But I'd have to dump 2 other boxes of 20 pretty quick. Maybe next market cycle.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Tried to imagine what 20 I would put into a box if I could only keep 20 from my collection. It would have to be on valuation and is very scary how much value is loaded into the top 20 too. However, if starting out with the box of twenty as an investment objective, I would be into other coins and more diversified across series.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have enough coins to change professions.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Someone hit it on the nose. Collectors need a fun set to keep them sane. For me that is Modern stuff and they keep making new ones.

My main type set will be 75 coins and that would be a minimum for me. Currently I have 80 coins but I am not so sure I am willing to give some of them up as they get upgraded so the total will only increase.

Commemoratives, State Quarters, The New Presidential Dollars with Wives, Gold, Silver, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo gold these are all fun.

IMPOSSIBLE to do 20!!!!!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would have to be one hell of a big box......Yep, I could manage with a refrigerator box.
    It could be done. Actually no, I could never do it. It's up to the wife in 10 or 20 years. Then
    you young ones will reap the reward so, keep in touch!
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    You would have to be severely myopic, and only be interested in about one kind of coin, probably with a very short run. Not exactly the definition of a numismatist.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could I do it? Yes, if forced to, although figuring out the last 5 would be an absolute b#tch. Would I do it? No way. Coins are just too much fun.

• Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549

<< <i>You would have to be severely myopic, and only be interested in about one kind of coin, probably with a very short run. Not exactly the definition of a numismatist. >>

umm, yeah, right

1/2 cent
    1 cent
    2 cent
    3 cent silver
    3 cent nickel
    1/2 dime
    nickel
    dime
    double dime
    quarter
    commemorative quarter
    half dollar
    commemorative half dollar
    dollar
    gold dollar
    commemorative dollar
    commemorative $2.50
    three dollar gold
    half eagle
    eagle
    double eagle

shoot, i've hit blackjack already........
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not planning on doing it, either, but it is probably a good mental exercise to ask yourself,

"Self, if I had to get down to 20 coins, which twenty would they be, and how would I feel about it?"

If you can easily pick out twenty (or whatever number you choose), and do not feel bad about it, perhaps you have some coins that do not mean all that much to you. >>

Under those circumstances I could get rid of all of them. While I really enjoy coins, they are not even in the top 5 most important things to me.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    There's no way I could get myself to 20 coins- I'm too much of an accumulator... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be very tough but I could do it, looking for the best in each type.

"Top 4" patterns in silver and copper (Schoolgirl, Shield Earring, Amazon $1, Washlady).

Territorial type set (Carolina, Georgia, Utah, Co., SF. Oregon).

1856-58 Flyers in proof.

2 slots left to think about........ likely IHC's or small cent patterns. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>"Box of 20": could you do it? >>

Maybe 20 Boxes image

But I'd have to work at it! image
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Might be possible, as long as tokens and medals don't count! image

I am also an accumulator, I currently have 5000+ different denomination/date/mm coins in addition to the tokens and medals around here, that would be tough to pare down. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    A box of 20 is almost impossible for most set collectors.Even from one mint alone unless you go to the earlier mint years.
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    No chance
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    I think it's an interesting exercise that separates the collector from the investor.

Personally, what would I do if someone held the proverbial gun to the head and told me to get down to 20 coins? Probably pick out the most valuable - just like an investor would do.

I would miss the rest of my coins. They may not be the most valuable ones but I sure do enjoy them!

Couldn't do it. Guilty - I'm a collector!
    Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.
  • Options
    I have two collections right now ... my "Box of 30" (I bought one of those PCGS 30 coin wood boxes and it's gorgeous) and my typeset. Only absolutely stellar coins go in the "Box of 30" and my typeset goes in PCGS plastic boxes. It is much easier to whittle the collection down to 30 as opposed to 20!

• Options

<< <i>I think it's an interesting exercise that separates the collector from the investor. >>

I've noticed a variety of people that bring this up. For the life of me I don't see why. In my box of 20 there would be coins that are valuable to me because of their/my history or because of how they appeal to me. Quite a few of my financially most valuable coins would not make the box, while a healthy slug of coins under $1,000 would. I'll grant you my top 3 most expensive coins would make the box, but that is only because they look so friggin' cool.

After all, the totally cool thing about coins is that you can find lots of REALLY neat stuff for under $50 a coin. Hmmmm, that gives me an idea...
  • Options
    Jay's box of 20 principal is for those looking to maximize investment and return not for those looking to build life long collections to enjoy. If you ask him for advice, the first question he'll ask you is "What is your reason for buying?" Jay's words - "I've always preached fewer coins, better coins and quality." He's in the collectibles market for investment so everything he buys is for sale.
    The basic principle of business - Buy low, sell high.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Nope... I'm a hoarder... rarely ever sell anything anymore. Almost need a bigger safe.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has its allure - and I don't think it makes one more of an investor than a collector. Some people collect the best ... and nothing but the best ...
  • Options
    I could get down to a box of 50, if I really had to. But would I? Doubt it!
    Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    I pared down a few years ago and got down to a present US coin count of 28. I love the collection more now than ever. I could probably pare it a little more down. I like the idea a few very "neat" coins. I find it much more fun - more of a box of good "story" coins. I have no intention of going down to 20, but I would like to keep a nice tight set of a few interesting coins.
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Done.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Ideally this is the way to collect, but you need to collect other less coins, too, to keep things interesting.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "Ideally this is the way to collect, but you need to collect other less coins, too, to keep things interesting."

Coin ON!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have discussed with Jay Parrino his concept of box of twenty for hours and HOURS on end.

First of all, he never advocated that coin collectors collected only 20 coins and no more.

What he DID ADVOCATE was to try to limit your "serious" coins to just twenty or just forty if at all possible.
    Why?

Four fold:

ONE:
    QUANTITY MEANS RUNNING OUT OF MONEY TOO FAST

After having twenty SLABBED (or forty serious SLABBED coins) that is going to start to drain a lot of money from your budget. One should try to "limit" him or herself.

Now "serious" coins is relative to each collector or investor and can be as little as $20-100 valued coins for students, etc. They do NOT necessary mean the mega valued or even the $1000 valued coins we hear or talk about.

Every collector has some coins that are relatively more expensive (or what we call "serious") than the others. The serious coins should have a quantitative limit the "other coins" which are the fun coins do not have such limit. They are FUN coins!

TWO:
    QUANTITY MEANS FORGETTING

The serious coins should be something the collector should remember instantaneously in his head. Once you start getting beyond 40 or 60 serious, you risk decreased enjoyment of such coins since they are locked away in a vault or a safe anyway and the sheer quantity means less time you can spend with each coin studying it, admiring it, attributing it, cataloguing it, learning its history, etc, .etc.

THREE
    QUANTITY MEANS MISSING OUT ON THE COIN(S) YOU REALLY WANT

There is nothing more troubling to a collector than missing out on a coin he really wanted because he overextended himself on easily replaceable coins. It happens to all of us. The box of twenty is just a concept to remind us that we need to "control" and behave ourselves! Just don't buy everything that comes along.

FOUR
    QUANTITY MEANS POSSIBLE LACK OF PATIENCE

If you want the right coin for your collection (could mean high end for the grade of a $50 valued coin) you need to be patient and wait for it to come along. You cannot always hurry things along or you will overpay or end up with low end coins for the grade or coins that don't match well in your set.

One last coimment:

Jay Parrino once displayed the Eliasberg 1913 Liberty nickel in his showcase back in 1999, long before Legend and TDN acquired this same nickel. What coins had the honor of sharing the limelight with that nickel? About 20 dateless buffalo nickels of which at least a half a dozen were 1913 buffalo nickels. Why? To show that one could be serious about coins and also have fun collecting inexpensive coins. When the kids looked at the display of the "exalted" 1913 nickel with the buffalo nickel, they wanted to see the buffalo nickels first and!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>How big would the box need to be to hold 20 bags?...My problem is that I'm a whoreder... >>

Are you sure you don't mean "hoarder"? Otherwise...image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I'm working on it. Just sold off about 20 pieces from my core collection with the plan on buying only one coin to replace them.

I will keep collecting cheap stuff as I see fit.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have discussed with Jay Parrino his concept of box of twenty for hours and HOURS on end.

First of all, he never advocated that coin collectors collected only 20 coins and no more.

What he DID ADVOCATE was to try to limit your "serious" coins to just twenty or just forty if at all possible.
    Why?

Four fold:

ONE:

After having twenty SLABBED (or forty serious SLABBED coins) that is going to start to drain a lot of money from your budget. One should try to "limit" him or herself.

Now "serious" coins is relative to each collector or investor and can be as little as $20-100 valued coins for students, etc. They do NOT necessary mean the mega valued or even the $1000 valued coins we hear or talk about.

Every collector has some coins that are relatively more expensive (or what we call "serious") than the others. The serious coins should have a quantitative limit the "other coins" which are the fun coins do not have such limit. They are FUN coins!

TWO:

The serious coins should be something the collector should remember instantaneously in his head. Once you start getting beyond 40 or 60 serious, you risk decreased enjoyment of such coins since they are locked away in a vault or a safe anyway and the sheer quantity means less time you can spend with each coin studying it, admiring it, attributing it, cataloguing it, learning its history, etc, .etc.

THREE

There is nothing more troubling to a collector than missing out on a coin he really wanted because he overextended himself on easily replaceable coins. It happens to all of us. The box of twenty is just a concept to remind us that we need to "control" and behave ourselves! Just don't buy everything that comes along.

FOUR

If you want the right coin for your collection (could mean high end for the grade of a $50 valued coin) you need to be patient and wait for it to come along. You cannot always hurry things along or you will overpay or end up with low end coins for the grade or coins that don't match well in your set.

One last coimment:

Jay Parrino once displayed the Eliasberg 1913 Liberty nickel in his showcase back in 1999, long before Legend and TDN acquired this same nickel. What coins had the honor of sharing the limelight with that nickel? About 20 dateless buffalo nickels of which at least a half a dozen were 1913 buffalo nickels. Why? To show that one could be serious about coins and also have fun collecting inexpensive coins. When the kids looked at the display of the "exalted" 1913 nickel with the buffalo nickel, they wanted to see the buffalo nickels first and! >>

Extremely excellent post! image
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could very easily...
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    If I sold all of my Classic Silver Commems, classic gold commems, various type coins I have accumulated, I guess I could get it down to my 12 Dahlonega coins, 1 Charlotte dollar, 2 New Orleans dollars, 1 New Orleans quarter eagle, .....OHHHH its killing me. Nope. Can't do it.
  • Options
    zepzep Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Oreville, I seem to recall that by 1999 Jay P. had sold most of his really special coins and maybe he had nothing else to display.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>I have discussed with Jay Parrino his concept of box of twenty for hours and HOURS on end.

Why?

Four fold:

ONE:

TWO:

THREE

FOUR

One last coimment:

Jay Parrino once displayed the Eliasberg 1913 Liberty nickel in his showcase back in 1999, long before Legend and TDN acquired this same nickel. What coins had the honor of sharing the limelight with that nickel? About 20 dateless buffalo nickels of which at least a half a dozen were 1913 buffalo nickels. Why? To show that one could be serious about coins and also have fun collecting inexpensive coins. When the kids looked at the display of the "exalted" 1913 nickel with the buffalo nickel, they wanted to see the buffalo nickels first and! >>

Just printed this as a reminder of how to proceed in the future. Much thanksimage
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oreville ... POTD material there!! image and words to remember when we just want to buy, buy, buy

Could I get my collection down to a box of 20? ... no chance ... nor do I have any interest to do so. If I was forced to, I might be able to set an overall limit of 50 serious coins and 50 fun coins, but that would require more selling than I care to do as the fun coins often end up hanging around for the ride and the special coins are just hard to pass on.

Do I try to limit my special, more "serious" coins to a number? ... well, I don't really have to try ... they seem to limit themselves due to the cost and difficulty of obtaining them.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Such a limitation would not allow me to indulge

my need for a coin fix every few days. I would

suffer withdrawal pangs.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    I could probably live within the limits of a box that held 20 boxes.

Otherwise, no way.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some of us did the mental exercise in this thread about a box of 20

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file