Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Box of 20": could you do it?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
A tangent from another thread, someone suggested that I get down to 20 coins. Even excluding the 7070, various other misc and generally inexpensive stuff, I have serious doubt that I could possibly get my core collection down to 20 coins. How much trouble would it be for you? Do you already have twenty or fewer in your collection? I daresay, if it would be easy to get down to 20, maybe you should! Comments welcome.

Comments

• Options
    It would kill me.

No. Really...image

Although my good stuff is maybe 40 coins, my okay stuff is another 150 and my fun stuff is another 2000 or so...
    and I don't think I could easily pick any of them to go.

I don't know how people sell these things. It's like thinking about selling the kids off...
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure. I could probably do a Box of 50 if I liquidated my date/mint collections of certain series, but I don't know about 20. I like too many different types to have only 20 coins.
  • Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    I always considered myself a small fry. There's no way I could get down to 20.
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I like the concept, but the collector should have a "fun" set or two to keep himself busy in the meantime.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think quality.

Think interesting.

It's not necessary to think "big money," however.

Think 20.

Yes.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    It would be easy. you just have to focus on quality. For example, I could sell all my coins and buy a 1794 dollar--that's actually about the only way I could buy a 1794 dollar.

I would keep my avatar since that was my first real coin. So that would be 2.

--Jerry
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I am a collector.
    As such, I collect what I like/want.

While I have done some paring down of the "accumulation", I could not do a "20" only box.
    Why would I want to, anyway, if I am enjoying the coins I do have?

I could see it, maybe, if I didn't enjoy the coins and/or I was just in it for some kind of profit, but it isn't realistic for me

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I could easily limit myself to a box of 20 holdered coins.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Core set of 20 would be workable as long as I have a cheaper "fun coins"
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    No way could I do a box of 20.
  • Options
    If you are a 'yes' vote on this, you clearly have never built up your collection to a few thousand fun coins, and spent a whole evening just digging around, cherry picking your own stuff, organizing the horde...

Priceless fun I tell you, simply priceless.

Everyone collects their own way, but to my way of thinking, only having 20 coins is just impossible. I love coins, all of them, all types, from all dates, mints, and heck, even countries. When my son talked about studying Australia, I was able to produce a handful of old Australian coins, and several proof sets to give him some areas of 'interest' in his report.
    Try that with a 20 coin collection!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no compelling reason to get down to a box of twenty.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    I couldn't get down to a box of 200.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Other than misc junk laying around, I'm already down to a box of 20. Well, actually two boxes of 10, (Intercept Shield). Of course, they're all Kennedys.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I only have 2 or 3 coins in my box of 20 so far. The rest are just for fun.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I am doing it. So far, I have 18 in the box. but, as mgoodm3 states...you have to have some fun coins too. I have boxes of fun coins, proof/mint sets, commems, misc. thingies from here and there but putting a coin in the box is always a great high point for me. Kind of like catching a big trout and throwing it in the ice chest...yummm.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why??? Could not even consider myself a collector then. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it necessarily has to be 20. Also, after reading "Double Eagle" I am reluctant to do anything associated with Jay Parrino. image

Actually, I think applying Jay (Brahin's) concept to your series of choice makes more sense -- so, depending on the series, you could have a "box of 18" for Saints, "Box of 44" for Morgans, etc. etc. -- depending on where you set the rarity threshold. This would also enable you to apply the concept to multiple series instead of just 20 coins in aggregate.
  • Options
    Why??? Could not even consider myself a collector then. Cheers, RickO

I have a friend who has a core collection of about 15 coins. Every one is a condition census rare date show-stopper. No one would deny that he is a collector, let alone a connoisseur of fine rare gold coins
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    It would be tough for me considering im building the 50 piece early commem set.
  • Options
    totally impossible!
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole "box of 20" concept is interesting to me. It's referring to the PCGS and NGC slab boxes that hold 20 slabs I'm sure. What was this method of collecting called pre-slabs? How many 2x2's fit into a one row box? I see no reason to limit my collection to the amount of coins that will fit into a slab box.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could do it..
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, That's just not me. I dont think that anyone here on the forum can do that or they would have already. That would take all the fun out of it and make me an investor. Maybe one day-but not today. image
  • Options
    That would take all the fun out of it and make me an investor.

While you may feel that way, I do not know why the two concepts (small collection and investing) need be joined at the hip.
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    What would be the purpose of setting an arbitrary limit of 20 coins?
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I don't even have a box.........no, seriously, I really don't have a slab box.

The concept for investment is fairly good, but dang, How boring would that be to a collector, or to a short term profit maker like me.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I love the idea, less is more and all that.
  • Options

<< <i>What would be the purpose of setting an arbitrary limit of 20 coins? >>

Because that's how many slabs a PCGS box will hold.

Personally, I wouldn't want to limit myself to 20 coins. That's not my idea of "collecting".
    Bob
  • Options

"Twenty" is arbitrary. Let's make it ten instead. image

No, really, it's not about the number but the concept. Small, focused collection. Once you hit your max number, maybe you have to sell a coin to buy another.
  • Options

<< <i>

Because that's how many slabs a PCGS box will hold.

Personally, I wouldn't want to limit myself to 20 coins. That's not my idea of "collecting". >>

What I mean is why set any arbitrary limit?
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    If i had to get down to 20 & stay there I would just give up collecting entirely.
    Easier than picking just 20 IMO.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    There is no "right" collection.

The key to any collection is the definition.

There is nothing wrong with a box of twenty, as long as you have defined in advance what your goal is.

You are unlikely to be successful by just saying I want to buy 20 coins that I like, because you will keep finding more coins that you like.

Another key to financial success is to reduce the # or transactions that are done. It would not be fiscally prudent to keep trading back and forth, unless you were on top of the market and had access to the wholesale and retail marketplaces easily.

Bottom line: Define your collection and go for it.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How big would the box need to be to hold 20 bags?

My problem is that I'm a whoreder. I think about selling, then I move on.

No way, but I wish I could.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could easily get my collection of slabbed coins down to 20 or even 10.

Raw coins, no way.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Could I... yes. Would I... no.

-David
  • Options
    -- "No, really, it's not about the number but the concept. Small, focused collection. Once you hit your max number, maybe you have to sell a coin to buy another." --

The concept is what I intended my question to address. What purpose does the concept serve?
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>A tangent from another thread, someone suggested that I get down to 20 coins. Even excluding the 7070, various other misc and generally inexpensive stuff, I have serious doubt that I could possibly get my core collection down to 20 coins. How much trouble would it be for you? Do you already have twenty or fewer in your collection? I daresay, if it would be easy to get down to 20, maybe you should! Comments welcome. >>

I believe this approach is more suited to an investor, not a collector.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bottom line: Define your collection and go for it. >>

Good advice.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    No Way could this happen!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a hoarder and when I am in a funk nothing is more enjoyable than looking through a box of toned Oregons or Connecticuts, some of which I forgot I even owned.

On the other hand, I think it would be a lot more impressive and fiscally rewarding to have put aside 20 high- grade original early type coins (flowing hair half, MS63 for example) instead of hundreds of commems, no matter how pretty they are.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>-- "No, really, it's not about the number but the concept. Small, focused collection. Once you hit your max number, maybe you have to sell a coin to buy another." --

The concept is what I intended my question to address. What purpose does the concept serve? >>

Discipline.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    The Box of twenty. Wasn't that a Jay Parino idea? Now, considering
    the cost of some coins, six figure ones, that is why the box of
    twenty. Personally, I'd be lucky to get a box down to under 100.
    Good thread.
  • Options
    Julian has it exactly right. It's best to define a purpose that brings coherence to a collection. Finding that purpose means assembling a collection in your mind before buying a single coin. Serving that purpose makes it hard to find a coin on which to spend money but easy to spend money once it’s found. How is this possible with a "box of 20 (or 10 or 30)"?
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    with what I'm doing, filling a box of 20 would probably cost me another $700K....maybe more. image

NO...I could NOT fill a box of 20. image
  • Options
    bfjohnsonbfjohnson Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't do it. Then I'd have to quit working on my barber set.
  • Options
    Discipline.

Russ, NCNE

Maybe, but discipline won't be served if the coins are churned. And there are better ways to discipline yourself than setting arbitrary limits.
  • Options
    I am not planning on doing it, either, but it is probably a good mental exercise to ask yourself,

"Self, if I had to get down to 20 coins, which twenty would they be, and how would I feel about it?"

If you can easily pick out twenty (or whatever number you choose), and do not feel bad about it, perhaps you have some coins that do not mean all that much to you.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭

As the collection stands now I only have 23 coins. I just sold a stack of coins over the last couple of months to make some purchases of Morgans for my set. I could do 20 right now but probably not in a couple of months from now. image

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I would not be able to limit myself to a box of 20. The OCD would drive me crazier than I already am.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file