Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I Am Completely Focused On My Hobby (No I'm Not, Yes I Am) You Decide **Spring Cleaning In Progress*

Been a couple of discussions on here in this past few days about focus on collecting I thought I'd share my collection.

Some background info. I have collected just about all of my life be it one thing or another (Pics will show this) and have recently thought that I have way to many cards. I started collecting cards in 1988 when I saw 99 cent cello packs of Donruss (Yikes!!) in the local grocery store and got hooked. Although I liked the cards I was like everyone at the time and I got caught up in the money part of it and decided to open up a little shop. Two reasons for that decision were I wanted to try and spread the collecting aspect of it to the kids in the area and to make a little cash to buy more cards. So I got my resellers certificate and started a little shop in my parents basement. Started getting a lot of business (Or it seemed like it at the time) and decided that I had outgrown the basement and looked around town (Machias,Maine) for a rent. Found one that was reasonable and set up shop there. My shop did fairly good for about one year until everyone else in the area decided that they to were going to open up a card shop (6 others opened) and the retail stores also got in on the act as they had seen that cards could bring them in money as well. Even had a high school kid open one up in which the mother (Who by the way works with my wife now) accused me of opening up packs and resealing them. Long story short, supply quickly outweighed the demand and I knew when to quit before I got to deep in the hole.

Stopped collecting cards sometime in 1994 as I had basically just got burned out from trying to keep up with everything. Than in 2003 we bought our new home (Well it will be ours in 30 years) and decided to get a computer. I than discovered eBay and after some browsing on there I got bit by the card collecting bug again. Also met a person on the eBay discussion board that didn't know what to do with all of his common cards so I suggested that I would take them and after emailing back and forth I ended up with his over 120,000 cards for the cost of shipping. Now not everything in them was commons as there were cards up to $10 with an amount of common brand star cards. I am still sorting this collection.

Before I put the pics up, yes I am married to what has to be the most incredible and understanding woman in the world as people have seen THE ROOM (Both online and in person) and comment that their wives or girlfriends would never allow this. And it should be known that I am a stay at home Dad with only one income which will make people ask how can anyone afford to buy like this and I have a simple answer. I am cheap. image Seriously most of what I have has been bought as cheaply as possible be it at yard sales (Which in my area still produce some really good finds), discount stores, eBay etc. The family always comes first and I probably only spend $200 or less on my collection in a year anymore.

So on with the insanity.
I hope everyone enjoys the pics and any and all comments (Good and/or bad) are encouraged.

This is what you see when looking down the hallway to THE ROOM and the door to it.
imageimage
imageimage

Starting to step into THE ROOM.
imageimage

First wall once your in there.
imageimage

A close up of a vintage Archie Bunker shirt yellowing from age.

Turn to the right and part of my over 2,000 lp collection is staring at you.

Now we'll work our way around the top of THE ROOM along with a shelf full of stuff and more records.
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Along with everyting else I collect here is some of the stereo equipment that I have as well.
imageimage

Spice rack with built in radio (Dust included)

Some 78's and electronics.

Back to the top of THE ROOM.
imageimage
imageimage

More electronics inluding a RCA Braile radio.

Timex watch case with all kinds of goodies plus some Jensen and Radio Shack speakers.
imageimage

Alf (Well 3 of them) sitting on top of approx 30,000 cards that I am going to put out to the side of the road this summer with a free sign and if that doesn't work in the trash they go.

Some more stuff.
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Magazines like Beckett,Tuff Stuff etc.
Comic books and part of my over 2,000 45's
imageimage

More cards.
imageimage

More magazines.

Another stack of stuff.

And finally my desk with an old computer that was given to me as it was not working that I fixed.
imageimage

So there is THE ROOM. Well to be honest not everything can be seen in the pics as there is a closet that is completely full from floor to ceiling with posters, beta tapes, model kits, books, magazines, cassettes, etc etc etc. Also we have a rather large basement and that also has some of my collection.

Now where is that 20 step program to stop me? image

Comments

• pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    cool stuff!.. i want the waltons game and archie bunker t-shirt..
    ·p_A·
  • rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    Nice items!! I hope you never have to move!

Mike
    Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    pandrews,

Seems that everyone that has seen the Archie Bunker shirt would like it. Think I got that at a yard sale for 10 cents and the Waltons games also yard sale items. I know I paid 25 cents for one about two years ago and the other I can't remember.

Mike,

I have moved with this stuff before and am hoping that I never have to do it again. image
  • AAAAAA-CHOOOOOO. image

NathanSr
    Successful purchases: Lawnmowerman(2), Wabittwax, mkg809, thePlasticman

Successful sales: xphunk, vjsteele4, onefasttalon, five7teen, yankeeno7

Successful trades: mijang

Generous Souls: MBMiler25, DES1984
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    holy cow
  • BattleCat !! Awesome. Used to have that. Cool room. My parents whole house is pretty much like that. Sadly my Mom smokes (alot) and most of it is already damaged. Unfortunately I'm limited in what I can display.
    imageimageimage
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Holy crap. I feel like I've just spent the last 8 hours walking in circles around a closet posing as a flea market. Even had the 1970's stereo equip too. Classic!!!
  • Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    AMA defin.; Compulsive hoarding (or pathological hoarding) is a term which is used to describe extreme hoarding behaviour in humans. It involves the collection or failure to discard large numbers of objects even when their storage causes significant clutter and impairment to basic living activities such as moving around the house, cooking, cleaning or sleeping.

In your case you may simply be, 'Part of a Rebel Alliance and a traitor.'
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In response to your original question - no you are not focused! image

Shane

• jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i kept looking to see legos. how did you not keep/have any of those.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

That He-Man sure does bring back great memories!

Thanks for sharing! image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    You got some cool stuff but that would freak me out to have that much stuff. I used to be a collector but now get MUCh more pleasure selling the stuff. I understand, to some degree, the desire to have one Walton's game but two? I think I might "thin" out the collection a little... if it were me. Cool stuff though!
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    My wife would KILL me.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
    jradke4,

I did have legos (And lincoln logs as well) but those never survived child hood.

Ladder7,

I don't think it's compulsive hoarding as it hasn't taken over the complete house (Yet image )

BobS,

It does resemble a flea market. And it's a good size room (Well it was until I put all this in it) and I am always finding something that I forgot I had. image Stereo equipment all works and if not for having a 5 year old running around I would have one of the turntables hooked up to listen to my albums (Kids and vinyl do not mix image ).

NathanSr,

I does get dusty this time of the year having forced air heating so when spring comes it will be time to dust as much of it as I can.

BillRipkencollector,

No smoking in my house as I can't stand it. And thanks for the comments.

drewsef,

That's one response that most have, only after holy it usually ryhmes with sit. image

frankhardy,

Come on. Looks like I'm focused (on everything and anything). image

stown,

This is what I love about the internet and sites like this as it allows me to share a passion (Sickness image ) with others that have similar interests.

larryallen73,

I hear ya. I am sure there is going to come a day when I will start selling some of this. And the Waltons games were to cheap to pass up.

ArchStanton,

I get that comment all the time from people that have seen this collection.
  • Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Dam dude! Thats incredible! No wonder when I hit the yard sales around here there is nothing left! image

I have some stuff I am looking to get rid of, maybe I can add to your collection?? image
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I mean this in the nicest way,

It looks like a flea market blew up and landed in your house image
  • I showed this thread to a coworker who collects a little of everything and damn if that guy didn't just get a stiffy...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's it?

Mike
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a serious note.

I can't believe all the stuff you have!

I'm working on organizing and have a tiny fraction of that.

I did realize I had amassed about 100 SLU's over the past few years! I've got them all inventoried.

I'm impressed!

And I know what Matt affectionately meant - that is an ecclectic mix!

Do you have it inventoried?

Good luck - if ya ever try.

BTW - I like the Yaz pressman game - I have it with Maris - I've also seen it with Seaver and Koufax.

I also collected cereal boxes - but they took up too much space - I have a bunch of SB ones.

Thanx for taking the time to share all that stuff.

When I finish my little room in the front of the house - it's about 11X13 - I'm gonna take some pics.

I enjoyed this immensely! Also, I appreciated the little history - your shop and all that stuff.
    mike
    Mike
  • I always thought people who collected cards, coins, stamps, etc...were just a couple steps away from collecting EVERYTHING!
    Just don't turn into Seinfeld's girlfriend who had all the cool toys and wouldnt let anyone play with them.
    Seriously, I just started to dabble in vinyl. Got a decent turntable you'd like to part with??image
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • lilmulelilmule Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW thats all I can say is WOW, my wife is giving me the devil look now lol
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Are you married????!!! image

You'd probably clear a pretty penny for the Bunker shirt.
    Retro tees are huge right now.

Another option:

scan the shirt's logo into a scanner
    create a jpeg of the logo.
    Print it onto iron-on transfer paper.
    Iron them onto newer tee shirts.
    And then send me one.

Loved the Nixon shower head, too!

Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I showed the picture to my wife and she said, "it looks like your stuff."
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I mean this in the nicest way,

It looks like a flea market blew up and landed in your house >>

Well, unlike SOMEBODY I know, at least there's no gourds and no 8x10's of Bobby Brady:

Tedw9,

I don't completely wipe out the yard sales in the area but sometimes I try. image And you don't even have to get to them early as I hit one on the way to Calais in the summer of 2005 at almost noon time and noticed a little sandwich bag full of vintage no feet Pez dispensers. Guy looked like he knew his stuff and I asked how much and he said $1 for the bag. SOLD in a heartbeat.

Matt,

I only wish that flea markets had this amount of stuff now but all I usually see is a bunch of new junk. I think back at some of the ones I went to in the early 80's and what was there and it kinda makes me sick to think of what I passed over but I was into different things back than so what are you going to do?image

I showed this thread to a coworker who collects a little of everything and damn if that guy didn't just get a stiffy...

image That will be the first time my collection has gotten that kind of response from anyone.

Mike,

No it's not currently inventoried but I really need to sit down and at least try and start that.

The Yaz game was another local yard sale find. Bought that and a few more baseball related games for $1 each. That's been almost ten years ago on that. Also bought a stack of Sports Illustrated and some 1960's football star and rookie cards. I actually ran out of money at that sale and was working on getting some more stuff and told the guy that I had to go get some more funds and as I was leaving one of the local know-it-alls who I have dealt with in selling cards to happened to show up and he gave me a dirty look and went and talked to the person running the sale. Got back and the seller no longer wanted to deal with me as I am sure that know-it-all informed him that I dealt in this type of stuff and probably was told that I was ripping him off. No skin of my back as I had bought some nice stuff that is still in my collection as I never intended to sell it anyway.

And the cereal boxes are a nice item to display if you have the room and I am not one that like's to flatten them. Haven't bought any lately as nothing has stood out at me.

And when I can get around to it I have a full unfinished basement where there is one room that is 22 X 19 and the plan was and still is that I will be finishing a room to house all this and to be able to display more of it. Don't know when I will get to do it but will as soon as I can.

And I am glad that you and everyone has enjoyed this as I have had a blast collecting all of these items and love to have others see it.

cardfan07,

I also have stamps and a very few coins (Nothing special but I like them).
    The turntables I own are a
    Realistic Lab 500
    Technics SL-B2
    SL-23
    SL-1400
    And a ELAC Miracord PW 50H which is an oldie that was made in West Germany.

When I use them I prefer the Realistic Lab 500 and the Technics SL-1400. Paid $5 each for these two. The ELAC plays all speeds so I use that for 78's. That i got in a trade but I can't remember what I gave up for it.

my wife is giving me the devil look now

image lilmule,

But this can work in your favor because the next time she complains about something you buy, just remind her of my mess. image

hotmush,

I am very much married and have one child and it's been the best years of my life.

And it's funny how the Archie Bunker shirt is always a popular item when I show the collection. Good idea on scanning it and printing it on to an iron on transfer.

I showed the picture to my wife and she said, "it looks like your stuff."

Oh I am sure there are others that collect (Hoard) like me, they just don't like to admit it. image

detroitfan2,

No gourds in this collection. But these should count as being pretty close to Bobby Brady (there are a couple of the Brady's on these).

imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • Well if you ever want to rid yourself of any NY Giants(football) stuff, I'll gladly take any/all off your hands. You have SO much, the LPs alone...whew.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    A lot of great things. What's up with the Alf dolls? I am trying to figure out where he fits in the collection. That was funny!!
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Awesome stuff! My wife is the coolest..but I think that would be the breaking point..she'd kill me! I think its amazing how you seem to be able to remember exactly where and when you bought everything.

<< <i>Well, unlike SOMEBODY I know, at least there's no gourds and no 8x10's of Bobby Brady: >>

Not Bobby, but I say close enough imageimage

• BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    image Holy Crap! Awesome stuff!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Matt, I figured you probably have this one at home:

Errr... Ummmm....

Guys, enough with the pictures of young dudes.. Okay?

I mean.. If you have an urge to post a non-sport related picture here, could it at least be a female, please?

Thank you in advance for your cooperation image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    three words: HOME OWNER'S INSURANCE
    ToppsCo1lector,

I have barely gone thru the football cards so I will keep you in mind.

What's up with the Alf dolls? I am trying to figure out where he fits in the collection.

Just one of those shows I used to watch and when I found these for under $1 each, well I couldn't resist.image

BigDaddyBowman,

Thank you. My memory seems good on when, where and what I paid for most items but when it comes to remembering names of people I have met, well that's another story.image

Well stown, how about these?

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Jeez. Is there anything you DON'T collect? About beer cans? image
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Show me some sexy ankles image

<< <i>Errr... Ummmm....

I mean.. If you have an urge to post a non-sport related picture here, could it at least be a female, please?

Thank you in advance for your cooperation image >>

Jeez. Is there anything you DON'T collect? About beer cans?

Guess you missed the beer cans with the baseball players in the pics. imageimage

And I also have postcards, travel brochures, old gas station maps, video tapes, laser discs, video game systems and games, DVD's, movie and video store posters, and lots and lots of dust. image

<< <i>Well stown, how about these? >>

imageimageimage

<< <i>image >>

Let me guess... You were an alter boy, weren't you image
    I have some other collectors magazines (yeah, that's what they are) but don't think they would be appropriate for this board. image

<< <i>

Let me guess... You were an alter boy, weren't you image >>

Thankfully I wasnt. I did go to a Catholic grade school though. Luckily the preists that were there were "old school" and not flag wavers

<< <i>I have some other collectors magazines (yeah, that's what they are) but don't think they would be appropriate for this board. image >>

Go ahead and post them.

Don't worry, it will be our little secret image
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Thank you thank you thank you - anytime my wife thinks my card room and collection is out of control, all I need do is show her this thread.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

<< <i>Thankfully I wasnt. I did go to a Catholic grade school though. Luckily the preists that were there were "old school" and not flag wavers. >>

Oh, the responses could be endless but I won't go there image

<< <i>

<< <i>I have some other collectors magazines (yeah, that's what they are) but don't think they would be appropriate for this board. image >>

Go ahead and post them.

Don't worry, it will be our little secret image >>

Well I haven't scanned any of them yet, but I do have a near complete first year of Hustler which includes the 1st issue.

Thank you thank you thank you - anytime my wife thinks my card room and collection is out of control, all I need do is show her this thread.

MorrellMan,

My pleasure to help out a fellow collector any way that I can. image
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    felt like Dante trying to simply make it home, lost in the woods (or a truly massive collection of everything under "collectibles' umbrella)!

but a good kind of hell (don't get me wrong)

another thing, we all saw your lava lamp, despite your vain attempts to hide it!!!

you collect kay bee cards? wtf bro?

good stuff.

julen
    RIP GURU
    Julen,

Was wondering when/if someone would spot the lava lamp so you have a good eye.

you collect kay bee cards? wtf bro?

And King B Beef Jerky cards (if anyone ever get's the chance, DO NOT ever eat that stuff) Drakes, Quaker Oats, got a Derek Jeter that came on top of a peanut butter jar, got a few 1984 Gardner's Brewers sets, oh and some Ames sets as well somewhere in this room. image
  • they should have used your house as the set for the 40 Year Old Virgin.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    you could always take the 30,000 cards you plan on setting by the road to a children's home or hospital, I'm sure they would enjoy them and could probably write them off for tax purposes as well
  • Me personally, I'd call in a relief disaster team and tell them to bring a couple dump trucks and some extra labor and clean that mess up. Nothing there makes any sense!image