Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1969 Topps -- Official Thread

13»

Comments

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Spahn. I really enjoyed building the set.

Do you plan to upgrade most of the set to 9s or only select cards you mentioned in your earlier post? I've been upgrading through trades and buying high pop (in otherwords 'cheap') 9's. There aren't too many more high pop 9s I need. I also occasionally come across nice raw cards and add a few 9s from my own grading. Now I'm mostly focusing on building the 1961 set in PSA 8. Do you have another set you want to build next?
  • SpahnfanSpahnfan Posts: 412 ✭✭
    I plan to upgrade any 7 to 8's or 9's. Then I will go through the set and upgrade any cards that are not centered as well as I like. Some of the 8's might get to be 9's during this process.

I am also working on the following sets in grades of 7 or better:

1954 Topps,
    1955 Bowman,
    1956 Topps,
    1957 Topps,
    1958 Topps,
    1959 Topps,
    1960 Topps,
    1961 Topps, and
    1984 Donruss.

I have most all of the cards in the set. I just need to get them graded and added to the registry. I can't afford to buy all the cards I need and get them all graded, so I do a little of each.
    Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
    1960-62 Fleer Team Logo Decals Run
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    For all that are interested. I just listed 12 white letter variations on ebay. Mainly PSA 6's, with some 7's and a few lower. Click on the link to take you directly to my 1969 auctions

Thanks!MKWSportscards 1969 White Letter Variations
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    New to collecting the 1969 Topps Baseball issue.
    Question: is there a lot of OC vending floating around out there?
    Or no more than any other year from that time frame.
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Mojorob,

I personally have 7,000 - 8,000 1969 topps vending that is OC, but 75 percent of those OC cards would grade nrmt/mt or better if it wasn't for the centering
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    7000-8000, incredible!

gl on auctions ending this weekend 2.

julen
    tgiFFFF
    RIP GURU
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I probrably have that many too Treetop.
    do either of you collect the set or simply have them around for other purposes?

have any extra wl variations you wanna sell me? i need like 5 more (minus mantle or course) to run gambit w/ psa 8 or better.

julen
    RIP GURU
    hey guys,

i won a psa 7 bobby bolin wl variation for $65 last week on e-bay and was wondering if anybody knew why there wasn't anybody else bidding on card? low pop psa 8 card and this psa 7 looks nicely centered, dunno. i set my highest bid @ $125, but it sold for much less and i am happy for that.

auction link

just wondering if anybody thought this was weird that a card like this was not bid on by anyone else but me? was i robbed?

julen
    RIP GURU
    '69 psa 8 wl mantle (707)

lots of chatter about this seller, but who cares about that, this is 1 heckuva nice card!

julen
    RIP GURU
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>just wondering if anybody thought this was weird that a card like this was not bid on by anyone else but me? was i robbed? >>

Bolin White Letter in PSA 7 has averaged $51.40 the last five eBay auctions (including yours which brought the average up). High of $71, low of $26.05.

For those of you not subscribing to vintagecardprices.com, you really should give it a try. Information like this is EASY to get.

I'm not an employee of Vintage Card Prices, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night (or even the night before). image
  • In the next week or two I will be retiring my 69 set (Basic and Master). I wanted to do it before the May awards and allow another #1 to move up. I found myself looking at the 69 WL Mantle, PSA9, in a current auction and debating how high in the five figures I would need to go and realized it was time to quit. Best of luck to all the great 69 collectors who have really helped me over the years including all the Dave's....

Dave C.

Dave Cryer's 1969 Basic Set

Dave Cryer's 1969 Master Set

• WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In the next week or two I will be retiring my 69 set (Basic and Master). I wanted to do it before the May awards and allow another #1 to move up. I found myself looking at the 69 WL Mantle, PSA9, in a current auction and debating how high in the five figures I would need to go and realized it was time to quit. Best of luck to all the great 69 collectors who have really helped me over the years including all the Dave's....

Dave C.

Dave Cryer's 1969 Master Set >>

Wondo

• WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In the next week or two I will be retiring my 69 set (Basic and Master). I wanted to do it before the May awards and allow another #1 to move up. I found myself looking at the 69 WL Mantle, PSA9, in a current auction and debating how high in the five figures I would need to go and realized it was time to quit. Best of luck to all the great 69 collectors who have really helped me over the years including all the Dave's....

Dave C.

Dave Cryer's 1969 Master Set >>

>>

Dave,

Great set. Are you gonna go after something else?
    Wondo

• gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    When you do email me at rjc012661@aol.com

Bob
  • kadokakidkadokakid Posts: 426 ✭✭
    Dave:

Awesome set. Time for PSA to step up and elect you to the hall of fame, without a doubt you have the most impressive run of sets in the 60's can't believe you're not in the hall.

Peace

Doug
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
    psa 9 moeller wl variation 1/1

psa 8 wl variations this week on ebay

who is seller robotspy btw? nice cards this week.

any guesses on reserve price for moeller?

julen

ps: looking for psa 8 WL: rollins, red sox rookies, & casanova
    RIP GURU
    thing of beauty

have to think you don't see auctions for '69 topps like this very often.

julen
    RIP GURU
  • I have only 3 PSA7's to upgrade to PSA8's.

Any help would be appreciated.

I need #110-Shannon
    #447-Hoak WL
    and #464-Marshall WL

Ron Hobbs, Tallahassee, Fla
    TWINRON
    Marshall very tough, the psa 8's i've seen are butt ugly too.

Houk card pretty hard to find, I am also not 100% pop report reflects real population of some of the vintage cards, especially WL variations where pop report is very small.

I lucked up last night and won a psa 9 Jim Gosger WL Variations for less than $400! I am selling my psa 8 on e-bay this week, if you are needing a gosger WL variation by chance.

Julen

RIP GURU
    psa 10 bob clemente ..... NICE

julen

ps: i am looking at selling off my #11 master set. if anybody is interested, please take a gander at what i have on my link. psa 8 or better on ALL HOF & RC cards and i also have 14/21 White Letter Variations with psa 8 or better grades also. Over $8k in smr! thanks
    RIP GURU
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    well, I was the winning bidder in Mastro for the following 2 super racks--

'69 rack with Bench on top--though I am not a Bench collector, it has always been 1 of my favorite cards

'69 rack Carew on top--the 5th series with possible white letter variations.

This is a super rack. I paid decent $$ for it, but frankly thoguht it would go higher. Thought someone would grab it and take a flyer and rip it trying for a PSA-9 Mantle variation. My understanding is that the variations only came out in rack and cello form. I have never seen one before in 20 years of buying vintage unopened.

I'll post a pic when they arrive.
  • Hello Julen and others,

I am working on an article for Tuff Stuff's Sports Collectors Monthly that partially deals with the 1969 Topps BB set.

If you have the time and interest to be interviewed about the set please email me in the next day or so if you will at:

kozpro20@hotmail.com

Thanks to all on CU who have helped with past articles--Doug K.
    Enjoy the hobby.
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Any 1969 set news?

Man, it's been a while, huh?

• Personally one of my favorite sets.

Some particulars.
    1- according to may "records" the series were issued 3/12, 4/9, 4/25, 5/14, 6/4, 6/25, 7/11.

The 3rd series is somewhat difficult to complete in high grade 219-328. if you look at becketts graded card investor guide, most cards are listed and include high grade very tough cards as of course reggie, kekich, bill robinson, cox, mcdowell, f robby, charles, romo, cardenas and others.

The cepeda card shows him as brave shortly after he was traded on 3/15.

Also Jim Gosger is the first pilot to have the emblem on the uniform. for mont. its Ty Cline, dennis ribant for Kc and al ferrara for SD. This obviously means that these pictures were taken and then printed at spring training.

The Dick Ellsworth card in the 7th series shows him as an indian, he was traded to cleve from Boston in late April meaning these were printed probably sometime in mid may. also the tug mcgraw card talks of april 1969 on the back of the card.

Notice how the 5th series cards have a different "tint" to them and you can tell by looking at those cards that it is from the 5th series. It is almost as if a filter of some kind was put in front of the lens.

finally, due to expansion, there are many players who really should not have had cards produced, but I think were done to meet a certain number of cards per team, (e.g. gonder, sheldon, kostro, hendley, cottier, and many others). also see how only 18 solo phillies cards were produced.

any additional thoughts?

In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Thanks very much for this background info. This is one of my favorite sets as well. Sorry that I have nothing to add but I do have a couple of questions:

1. How do you know the release dates of the series?

2. This one may be dumb but I assume certain cards were intentionally short printed? Andrews, Joe Niekro, SF Rookies... Any insight into how the short printed cards were chosen or do you think it's somewhat random?

3. My understanding is that Yaz and Shannon are difficult in high grade due to centering issues. I assume that Topps was not smart enough to foresee this collecting issue and they were merely running the presses. As a kid centering was never an issue but perhaps I was hanging out with kids that were not too bright.

Thanks again for the background.

• had spoken with some one at topps a few short years and have info on other info as well.

cards were not short printed, but some were just not high quality so far as cutting go. Also, obviously, they had no competition.
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    Hope it isn't out of line to post here but I have just listed (22) 1969 Topps cards from my personal
    collection on the Buy, Sell & Trade Forum that I am looking to sell if anyone is interested here is the link.

1969 Topps PSA 8-10's