Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1969 Topps -- Official Thread

I know I am not the only '69 enthusiast here on the boards?

Courtesy of Mickey's Sportsards:
'69 in review
'69 rookie parade
'69 team expansions

Julen
RIP GURU

Comments

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Great bit of information on there. Though I do not collect them, they have grown on me over the years. I think the simple design lends to some greath photogprahy on that set.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Why is this issue much more valuable in high grade than 68 or 70 Topps?
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is this issue much more valuable in high grade than 68 or 70 Topps? >>

I am not 100% sure, but I think that centering is a big issue with this set, not much tolorence for the borders to be off.
  • Ron,
    I spent many years immersed in this set. It's also my "childhood set".
    As far as PSA graded material goes; high numbers are no rarer. In fact most of this stuff came from vending and high grade stuff is readily available.
    PSA has made a high number distinction in their SMR for many, many years and their assumption justification may have been in part based on the dealers reports about the historical initial 69' High Series release schedule (early Series having longer production and shelf life schedules as it relates to packs than High Series) but the bottom line is that enough high grade High Series has surfaced to eliminate any disparity.
    I wouldn't pay more for High Series commons and in general the market place sees the value of High vs Low similarly.
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    ron,

i think for a couple of simple reasons:
    1-both '68 and '70 sets are rather ugly and forgettable (no offense to collectors of either issue); aside from ryan rookie there is simply not a great demand for ENTIRE psa-graded sets for either year ('68 or '70)
    2-mantle's last card (although he didn't even play that year right?)
    3-orange borders subject to gnarly chipping
    4-White Letter variations make for serious challenges in psa 8 or better to serious collectors

i am sure there are more, but these come to mind to me right now.

Julen
    RIP GURU
    little something something from our very own joe orland on WL variations:

PSA input on WL variations

Julen

RIP GURU
    Here are a couple of cards that sell at unusually high premiums in this set:
    1-lou brock: (gnarly snowy print defects for 99.9% of graded cards); a fellow board member paid over $4k for a psa 9 brock last year; psa actually updated smr for brock this past year, but still almost 55%+ off market-demand price.
    2-tom seaver: (don't know why, but even psa 6 cards sell for little premiums)
    3-carl yaz: (don't know either, but psa even updated smr to attempt to reflect market-demand prices for yaz)

Mets & Cardinals full team sets for '69 topps are MEGA-popular also. There are MANY collectors on these boards and out there that battle over high grade, low pop mets and cards from this set.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    The Jackson series is the most difficult, alot of the stock was destroyed in a fire in a Brooklyn warehouse. The WL were found in the rack packs. The yellow ink simply was not not added and since the least amount of cards were sold in racks, they are the rarest.
    that is a great tidbit!

i am still looking for a psa 8 ken brett wl variation.... image

julen
    RIP GURU
  • jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Interested in starting this set. Was a childhood set for me, had some of the key cards graded that came back as 7s and recently sold them. Would like to start a PSA 8 set.

As I have always done with any set I start, I try to purchase a large lot to get me going. Any of you 69 collectors have a lot of 25, 50, 100 PSA 8s to get me going. This way I can economically start the set and join the fun.

PM me if you have some.

Thanks in advance to all

Jeff
    there is a fellow board member zodiacmindwarp, that has quite an inventory of psa 8 69's.

he patrols these boards from time to time, so maybe you could shoot him a pm?

julen
    RIP GURU
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Jeff and fellow Halo Fan!

The 1969 set is probably one of the most difficult large topps sets there is. Centering, Tilt's and just plain poor cutting on some. I would agree that grabbing large lots is a great idea, but remember this is a 600 card plus set and most sellers aren't going to put many of the difficult cards in anytype of lot. Right now, I have some difficult and not so difficult cards on ebay that the auctions end in about 24 hours. If your intersted, and decide to bid, I will pick up the shipping cost on your winning, if you win more than 5. Julen, same offer to you, just let me know what you ebay ID is

The link to my auctions or as some might call SPAM..................1969 PSA 8

Thanks and the best of luck to you in you decide to bid
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
    i have bob gibson and clay dalyrymple on my watch list!

that kaline is really nice, nicer than my psa 8 for sure.

the mays pose he uses for the '69 is the same photo for like 2-3 topps cards in a row right?

julen
    RIP GURU
  • jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Julen and Treetop...

Will let you guys know how I make out.

Jeff
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭
    I love the 69 set , its the year of my birth. I think the Seaver has a little premium because he is a member of the 69 Mets and other then Ryan he is the only HOFer from that squad. I have no favoritism to any grading company but if you would like to see some high grade 69's
    Check this out........His Mantle and Jackson are incredible!
    I just bought this about a month ago and I have to say I might be hooked?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    very cool.

that person is VERY serious about high grade '69s!!!

i'd like to see some pop reports for some cards that are sgc graded. i never search for anything but "psa" on ebay, so i am possibly missing out on some quality cards for sale.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Nice centering on that Clemente John ! Good looking 7
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • You can barely tell the difference between John's 7 and my 9. Here's a White Letter Mantle from my collection

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the mays pose he uses for the '69 is the same photo for like 2-3 topps cards in a row right? >>

It's a slightly closer in crop of the same photo as his legendary 1966 #1 card. His '67 is a face shot and his '68 is a reuse of the pic from the '65 card, where he has the bundle of bats slung over his shoulder.

Several major star '69's reemploy familiar images. The Aaron, Carew, Seaver and Yaz all use the pics from their '68 cards.
    if those corners were a little crisper on the WL mantle, that card would be a 9 for certain huh?

still THE most valuable card in entire set!

clemente is off the chart!

julen
    RIP GURU
    i got this card last week, finally giving me psa 8 or better on all HOF and major RC for 69s.

there is a link provided by treetop a few threads above, but he has a smokin' gibson ending 2nite on ebay also!

julen
    RIP GURU
  • I am hooked on this set as well! I have been working on it for about 8 months now (raw) and have about 30 to go. I still need to get Ryan, mantle, jackson, Killer B, and bonds rookie but i have about everything else in exmt or better. I have the clay dalrymple variations but need most others, if anyone has a rodriQuez laying around, i would be interested.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey

<< <i>Nice centering on that Clemente John ! Good looking 7 >>

I will take a nicely centered 7 or 8 for a good price all day. I would sacrifice a corner or 2 for centering , thats been my thinking of late. This could change if I win the lottery .
    Julan thats impressive that you have all the big cards in PSA 8 now. Congrats ,now show them off starting with Yaz and Brock!

Collector Focus

• TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    This was the first vintage set I completed when I got back into collecting. I have 32 stars PSA graded and the rest of the set in EX+ to NM-MT. I do not have the master set, just the basic. I have the Ryan in PSA 7, the Jackson and Mantle in PSA 6. The Mantle is a sweet looking 6 and I got a pretty good price on it a few years back.

1. 219 total brocks submitted according to you know who. looking at other cards like johnny bench all star rookie w/ over 1000 submitted to date, you have to think there is a psa 10 brock out there. psa 10 brock is 1 of 2 "grail" cards for this set IMHO. who owns 1/1 psa 10 WL mantle btw?

2. no psa 10 yaz's either. psa 10 yaz could be 1 of 2 "grail" cards, tied w/ brock and mantle wl psa 10

3. *370 tota yaz submitted, 109 psa 8.
    *for brock that total is 48 psa 8 out of 219.

julen
    RIP GURU

<< <i>I will take a nicely centered 7 or 8 for a good price all day. I would sacrifice a corner or 2 for centering , thats been my thinking of late. This could change if I win the lottery . >>

I've always taken good looking 7's for a decent price. I'm probably not quite as adamant about great centering but I don't want my cards on the verge of OC either.

I'm down to 4 cards on this set......Kranepool, Shamsky, Flood AS, & WS Game #1. I have all but the Shamsky in PSA 6 but would rather wait & get a 7 or 8 to complete. Been trying to buy raw cards to submit for at least a 7 for these 4.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    gl dave.

have you had any luck w/ fellow board members in finding the remaining cards?

what an undertaking!

julen
    RIP GURU
    regarding raw cards, here is a dealer that i trust his grading standards and his cards are usually pretty accurate:

Joe's BB Cards

killebrew & dalrymple error variation, both psa 8 subs last month, i bought raw from him!

julen
    RIP GURU
    Julen,
    Thanks for the link, I'll check him out.
    As far as help from board members, yes quite a bit. I've been working on the '69 PSA set since early 2004 now and probably at least 15 board members have helped me with this set, some who are no longer on the board. You've done great getting all the stars in 8, I still have many of them in 7, some I'll upgrade but others will stay as PSA 7.

At this point all of my dupes are 7's but I'll post when I have some 8's.

Good luck,
    Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Does anyone here have any idea why the 3rd series checklist is the only one that doesnt have a player picture on it? That is one thing that I have always wondered about this set.

imagey
    don't know? i always thought tony oliva was rod carew on 1 checklist as well...

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Needless to say this is one of my all-time favorite sets. The variations are a real hard time to get in MINT. Recently (the last month or two) the competition has really picked up with prices going up almost weekly. I currently have about 80% of my 1969s with pictures and hope within the next month to have all the cards to that point. I have about 20 upgrades to add in the next month (two are variation cards, six are 10s and the odd-ball #1 Khun that is/is not part of the set) and then I will basically stop upgrading; just getting too expensive. By the end of the year I will retire and sell the set but have not decided just when or how. For now, it is a great set for anyone to collect and one I have really enjoyed.

Best luck to ALL the 1969 collectors,

Dave C.

Dave Cryer's 1969 Topps Baseball Basic Set

Dave Cryer's 1969 Topps Baseball Master Set
    dave! you continually outbid me on wl variations left and right on e-bay!

i agree w/ your assessment of the set and demand of late. when you sell, are you intending on selling in bulk via auction house or perhaps e-bay or better yet, directly to a wl variation collector like me?

thanks for input and i saw your psa 7 WL variations did very well last nite on e-bay also!

julen
    RIP GURU
  • I lost my last four auctions for variation cards. Two in particular blew me away:

Item title: 1969 TOPPS-#476 RED SOX ROOKIES (WHITE LETTER) PSA 8
    Time left: Auction has ended.
    Only actual bids (not automatic bids generated up to a bidder's maximum) are shown. Automatic bids may be placed days or hours before a listing ends. Learn more about bidding.
    Bidder Bid Amount Date of bid Bidding Details
    Bidder 8 US $860.00 Jan-10-07 16:34:43 PST View
    Bidder 9 US $850.00 Jan-10-07 16:34:58 PST View
    Bidder 9 US $800.00 Jan-10-07 16:34:51 PST View
    Bidder 9 US $750.00 Jan-10-07 16:33:38 PST View
    Bidder 8 US $414.00 Jan-10-07 06:21:02 PST View
    Bidder 7 US $307.89 Jan-09-07 17:09:41 PST View
    Bidder 6 US $185.00 Jan-09-07 19:14:51 PST View
    Bidder 6 US $155.00 Jan-09-07 19:12:12 PST View
    Bidder 6 US $135.00 Jan-08-07 19:12:53 PST View
    Bidder 2 US $125.01 Jan-06-07 18:32:38 PST View
    vmfa_vet( 957) US $121.11 Jan-08-07 03:25:49 PST View

The other was the Moeller that had the same two bidders doing it to each other. I also lost a couple of other but not as bad. As I mentioned, the prices have really passed me by. A good time to bail. I had planned to do it on my 65th birthday but a year or two early won't hurt. Don't know how yet...

I passed up a PSA-9 Brock (a second mortgage was a bit extreem) and with just less than 10 PSA-7 variations and just a few more PSA-8 it has been fun. The only card I am surprised I have not been able to pick up is the 425 Yaz in PSA-9. There are some out there I just seem to keep missing it. Add to that the ZERO POP Kekich and Robinson and three POP 1's, it has been a blast.

Dave C.
    There are some new collectors for this set and perhaps some renewed interest from some long time collectors of it. Prices do seem to be spiking again as they were quite weak during much of 2006. I should have made a little harder push for completion then .
    I've noticed Kranepool go for just over $100 and over $200 in the last month or so in PSA 8.
    You have a great set there Dave C.; good luck with the variations.

Dave S.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    dave,

you beat me on casanova and red sox rookies WL psa 8's earlier this year. i don't know who ajax is, but he was the winning bidder on 2/3 of mark's psa 8 wl variations last week: gonzalez & red sox rookies.

what a collection you've amassed!

i must admit, collecting is a certain kind of high, but selling off is full of excitement too huh (or the prospect of)?

julen

RIP GURU
    is this legit you think?

hmm?

still pretty low bidding at this point, certainly b/c of blurry photo and scary fgs slab of a ryan rookie thrown in for no apparent reason?

i wonder if someone will plunge the $500+ for this card or will someone get a legit psa 8 mantle for a discount?

julen
    RIP GURU
  • I would think it is legit just because it has a reserve. I would think scam artists would want to move it at all costs, not set a reserve. Then again, I have no idea...

imagey
    this is 2007 man
    who uses a blurry, out of focus photo to try to sell a card like that?
    what's up w/ the fugazi nolan ryan photo? credibility?

weak
    julen
    RIP GURU
    ernie banks
    brooks robinson

these guys are HOF, but their cards usually sell at major discounts, versus smr. why is there such disparity w/ their cards and smr? unpopular teams, unpopular players, wotz the deal?

julen
    tGIf
    RIP GURU
    nolan ryan

is it impossible to find a card that does NOT have the fish eye about 75% of the way up the right border of his picture? i have seen psa 9's selling for $1,100+ that have the fish eye on them?

i would actually prefer a creased psa 6 or 7 w/ nice centering, corners and not fish eye over the psa 9 w/ fish eye.

julen
    tGIf
    RIP GURU
    The Banks and Robinson are just easy to come by would be my guess. They are always available compared to the Brock or Yaz cards.

Speaking of cards, I went ahead and listed close to 50 (middle pop) 1969 PSA 9's lastnight. I know some people might not be looking at ebay to closely, since it was also 20 cent listing day. Check out the link below if interested.

1969 Topps PSA 9's

Thanks
    Mark

mark,

those are REALLY nice psa 9's, i mean really nice man!

i think dave mcnally will sell for the most, just a guess however!

julen
    TGIF
    RIP GURU
  • artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    treetop...nice lot of 9's...do you have any 7s for sale? I am working on the set in PSA 7 (an will buy raw if it is true NM or better). Right now i am only 60 cards in but do have almost all of the stars and HOFers. Please let me know. Thanks!
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Anyone have a PSA 9 Luis Tiant regular card to spare image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Julan
    The Nolan Ryan card is available without the "break" on the right border. I have seen them before and they sell for around the same as the one with the "break".
    I will see if I can round up a picture of one.........

John
    Collector Focus

Collector Focus

interesting. i don't keep up w/ ryah card, but seems like it would sell for more, but i suppose most people buy psa 8 ryan for grade and not asthetics. (thanks for the scan, is that your card?)

i have watched a couple of really nice psa 9's go for $1000. it got me to thinking, i have a psa 8 and if i sold that for, i don' t know, $350+ then i would be paying around $650 +/- for a psa 9. very tempting but i haven't pulled trigger yet.

i have several psa 9 don mattingly 84 donruss cards i am seriuosly considering selling to afford 1 psa 10 mattingly.

i did a 180 degree turnaround w/ '84 donruss this year. i bought a psa 10 gwynn and got several graded thinking i would pursue the set. however it's far too massive for me and i am basically selling off all the cards to solely focus on '69 topps.

julen
    RIP GURU
    Julan
    That isn't my card I pulled it from Ebay .
    I see another PSA 8 Brock has hit Ebay
    Collector Focus

artistlost

I have no PSA 7's. Do have a ton of cards in raw form nrmt to nrmt/mt

Mark