Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many sellers leave feedback on sales as soon as payment is recieved?

DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
I'm curious as to how many sellers actually leave positive or negative feedback when the payment is recieved/good. That is, before their item is shipped/recieved.

Recently when I paid for something the seller left me feedback as soon as the payment was recieved and I thought it was great that they did it. Thinking highly of them; I was disappointed when I recieved an email saying they left the feedback on accident.

ps: I love coins. (Coin related enough?)

-D
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope.
    Too many potential problems.
    I've posted my reasons for this a few times in other threads.....as a seller, I have no problem posting feedback first, but not until coin is received and buyer is happy.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Yep, I do. No questions asked. By them paying me in a timely manner, they are holding up their end of the deal. I do my best to be an honest, upfront seller and if a buyer has any legit reason to leave me anything but a positive, then it's on me to improve myself as a seller. Unfortunately for my fellow coin geeks, I rarely sell coins. image
    - -

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the last 7 years I've been leaving feedback as soon as I got paid with no problems. 100% with 100 feedbacks. But that was license plates I was listing not coins.
    I'm rethinking that policy.
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    As soon as payment is received.
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Yep!! Just as soon as I get their payment!!

They've done their part.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    No No No. What if the buyer then says they never rec'd? What if they claim the coin was switched? What if they return it outside your return policy? You have no recourse and they still hold the threat of a negative.

That said, I estimate when I buy 10-20% of sellers post feedback once I pay.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>Yep, I do. No questions asked. By them paying me in a timely manner, they are holding up their end of the deal. I do my best to be an honest, upfront seller and if a buyer has any legit reason to leave me anything but a positive, then it's on me to improve myself as a seller. Unfortunately for my fellow coin geeks, I rarely sell coins. image >>

That is precisely how I feel. It doesn't bug me if they wait for my feedback before they leave theirs, but it is correct to evaluate me based on the satisfaction of my side of the contract. They get the same when they satisfy their side. That is honorable. If some folks aren't so honorable, that's life.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options

<< <i>ps: I love coins. (Coin related enough?) >>

Great idea !! We can now do totally OT Open Forum threads, and just add "P.S. I love coins." at the end of every post !!!

As a seller, I wait until the item is received and is then either accepted or returned by the buyer. So I don't necessarily leave feedback when payment is received. The reason is that if the buyer decides to exercise the return privilege, I want to make sure that it is done properly; specifically, that the buyer wrapped & shipped properly back to me.

As a buyer, I leave feedback as soon as I get the item (if I am keeping it), or if I return it, I wait to see if the seller honors his return terms.

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    alfalfaalfalfa Posts: 275 ✭✭
    I always leave positive feedback as soon as payment is recieved.

RJ
  • Options
    When I started selling, over 8 years ago, on eBay I posted feedback when payment was received from the buyer. Well, over the years my feedback posting to my auction buyers are now given when I get an email or feedback from the buyer. Also, I wait and post a weeks' worth all at once. It is easier for me that way.

I also enjoy buying, selling and researching coins!

AAJ
    THE MORE YOU COLLECT, THE MORE YOU WANT!
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave it as soon as the seller pays.

I agree.
    Yep, I do. No questions asked. By them paying me in a timely manner, they are holding up their end of the deal. I do my best to be an honest, upfront seller and if a buyer has any legit reason to leave me anything but a positive, then it's on me to improve myself as a seller.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    I do not hold ratings back waiting to see what the buyer does first. I think that is wrong. As soon as I am paid by a buyer (and payment clears the bank if neccessary), I leave them a rating. As far as I am concerned they have completed their part of the contract at that point. As a buyer, I leave feedback after I receive the item.
  • Options
    dantheman984dantheman984 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    I leave feedback right away. Somtimes I might miss 1 or 2 but I leave it later.
    Dan
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

My policy is to leave feedback as soon as I receive payment. I am rating the buyer for the quickness of their payment. If the buyer is not happy with the coin, then they can return it and they will (if they are reasonable) leave positive feedback. 99.9% of the time they like the coin anyway and they leave positive.
  • Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    I leave feedback for the buyer when I send the package to the post office. I send packages no more then 48 hours after payment with paypal. I use this as a check and balance to ensure I leave feedback and send the coin promptly.
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    I leave feedback as soon as payment is received (or cleared). I also send emails to advise that the item has shipped. - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    same here, leave 'em positive as soon as I ship (which is usually the day the payment is received/cleared).
    Ive had zero problems so far.
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    I leave it upon receiving payment.

WH
  • Options
    Not until the transaction is complete. Complete means both parties are satisfied with the transaction. I have no problem posting first.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always have left the feedback upon payment. There is never any deception in my auctions. Any merchandise problem is noted and photographed.
    A buyer knows what they're getting. I have confidence in my product.
    I've never had a problem with it in 7 years of selling.
  • Options
    I leave the feedback as soon as the payment is received. I always use delivery confirmation, so there's never any doubt that a package has been sent, so I don't worry about that part. I've never had a problem so far.
    If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

-- Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    i'm with Bochiman - the transaction is not complete until the buyer receives the goods, IMO
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    feedback is left when the transaction is complete and they have the coin (or item) in hand, i ship everything with delivery confirmation and insurance for some added piece of mind.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've left positive feedback for buyers immediately upon payment hundreds of times. Maybe five or six times I didn't leave feedback right away because something "smelled funny" about the buyer. You know the type...you get some weird instructions, questions, or other limitations in the form of ebay messages, notes attached to a paypal payment, or something along those lines. In those rare cases, I withhold the positive feedback until I can be sure that the buyer is legit in his/her requests, albeit a bit screwy.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I leave positive feedback as soon as full payment is made.

Payment is the first stage of an auction and when that part is complete feedback should be left.

When the item is recieved the buyer should leave feedback!

I even have it noted on my item description that positive feedback will be posted when payment is recieved, check the link in my sig line!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never sold anything on ebay... I have, however, bought frequently. While I ALWAYS leave feedback after receiving and evaluating the product, I must say, that several sellers are either very late or never leave feedback. And, I pay immediately as the auction ends. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>I have never sold anything on ebay... I have, however, bought frequently. While I ALWAYS leave feedback after receiving and evaluating the product, I must say, that several sellers are either very late or never leave feedback. And, I pay immediately as the auction ends. Cheers, RickO >>

I've had the same experience. One seller owes me right now--I left him a positve on receipt and followed up a few days later with an email saying "left feed back--would appreciate same..." NaDa to date--not a big deal but it's doubtful I'll buy from him again as I don't like to be ignored.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My response as well.. no more buys if no feedback. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    I'm curious as to how many sellers actually leave positive or negative feedback when the payment is recieved/good. That is, before their item is shipped/recieved.

Feedback is for when the transaction is finalized, not when the item is paid for.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

> "My response as well.. no more buys if no feedback."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nah, don't bother me if I get no feedback. I've already got
    plenty.

As long as the rest of the transaction goes smoothly, I'm
    fine with it.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I do. They have completed their part of the agreement.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I always left feedback as soon as I was paid, or as soon as their check cleared. After reading some of the horror stories here, I'm thinking about changing that policy to something along the lines of others' I've seen here: Feedback gets left when everybody is happy.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I always leave positive feedback as soon as payment is recieved. Never had a problem either.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I do, only got burned once.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    I think doing so is a must. They upheld their end of the transaction. I'll risk that over playing the stupid waiting game of 'you leave positive for me and I do the same'...sellers who pull that IMO really aren't demonstrating good ethics.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    JimDepotJimDepot Posts: 957 ✭✭

<< <i>Nope.
    Too many potential problems.
    I've posted my reasons for this a few times in other threads.....as a seller, I have no problem posting feedback first, but not until coin is received and buyer is happy. >>

I agree. I leave feedback when the transaction is complete, buyer has the coin, seller has the money and everyone is happy.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    In the vast majority of cases, I leave feedback right away. The only exception is when I see some red flags. And, I don't buy the "transaction is not complete until the buyer receives the item" argument. That may be true of some honest sellers, but most withold feedback simply so they can retaliate. There are plenty of times I've tested that argument by notifying the seller when I received the coin and telling them I was pleased. Still no feedback until I left it first.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Honestly, as a seller I'm all over the map.

Certainly if the buyer leaves me a positive, I will return the favor and leave a positive back right away. Or if the buyer indicates in some other way (email, etc) that they've received the item and are happy with it, they get a positive.

But in many cases I leave the positive first. I especially like to be the one to push someone into a new star color, so if someone is sitting at 99 feedback, I'll jump on that #100.

I also look at the feedback the buyer has left. Some buyers never leave feedback -- if they're not going to leave me any feedback, why should I bother leaving one for them? I've also had buyers who've left nothing but negative feedback. No warm fuzzies to be had there.

I *never* beg for feedback. If someone's going to leave me a feedback, it's got to be on their own volition, and not because I asked them for it.

All that said, sometimes I leave positive feedback at other random times, just because I'm bored.

Now as for negative feedback -- as a seller, I feel that there is exactly one time where leaving negative feedback is appropriate: right before the final step in the Dispute process. Why before and not after? On my last Dispute, mine was the last straw that got the guy NARU'd. While I'm delighted that I got a deadbeat kicked off eBay, I'm a little chagrined that I didn't get my last kick in with the neg -- once they're NARU'd, you can't leave them feedback. So, neg first, then seconds later close the Dispute.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I rarely sell on eBay, but when I have, I try to leave feedback as soon as payment has cleared the bank. To me, this is the ethical thing to do.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I used to wait until the buyer left feedback until I read some things on this forum. Then I switched to try leaving feedback as soon as I was paid and I've had no problems. It actually even seems that I get the positive feedback from the buyer faster than I did in the past. It hasn't happened yet, but if I had a buyer that seemed a concern I would likely take a wait and see approach.

I always pay instantly and what I don't like is buying from someone with a lot of feedback and leaving them positive fb and them never leaving me any fb. image
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I almost always leave feedback as part of my packaging/shipping process; it's just easiest to do it then as I'm printing packing slips, labels, etc.

The only time I don't leave feedback first is (1) zero-feedback buyers -- too many scammers out there to take chances, (2) low-feedback bidders from "problem countries", and (3) if any of the pre- or post-sale communication has led me to believe there will be problems.
  • Options
    I leave feedback when the payment comes in. The bidder did his part so why wait.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave feedback when I receive the payment. I'm actually much worse about leaving feedback for sellers, I tend to wait until I have a bunch of purchases to log into my records and I leave feedback all at once.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file