Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1826-The 11th Informative Picture Thread on the Capped Bust half Dollar series

Post your 1826s and tell some stories! Have fun! Learn something! But mostly, have fun.

In 1826, John Quincy Adams is in the second year of his largely unsuccessful presidency. Having entered public service at the age of 12, he shipped off with his father for France in 1779 to serve as his father's secretary in the ministry to France. They endured a rough voyage, landed in Spain, and traveled mostly by mule through the mountains in winter, an extraordinary journey for a fat man and his 12 year old son. When they finally arrived in Paris, they learned that Russia had agreed to accept a minister from our fledgling country, however, the appointee spoke no French, the official language of Catherine the Great's court. John Quincy was fluent in Latin, Greek, and French, so his father sent him on an even more arduous journey to Russia. This was the first assignment of a diplomatic career that would keep him mostly abroad for decades. After his presidency, Adams served Massachusetts with great distinction in the House of Representatives from 1830 til his death in 1848. He also argued before the Supreme Court on behalf of the slaves from the Amistad rebellion.

John Adams and Thomas Jefferson both died on July 4th, 1826.

Images are of a 26 112, a common die marriage with several interesting features. No cracks ever formed on these dies that I am aware of, but chips fill a portion of 3 letters on the reverse. The first to form is on the notch of R (AMERICA). Note how sharp the R is in the first pic, and compare it to the next one. A chip next forms in the top loop of S1, then in N. As to rarity, the prime die state is considered R4+, the die state with only a chip in R is presently unique, with a chip only in R and S is quite scarce, perhaps R4+ or R5-, and examples with all three chips are common.

Comments

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

imageimage
  • Options
    Hey, we're on a roll! Ebaytrader has posted a 26 112 with die chips in R and S, but none in N! We got the tough one, now let's see some more.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for kicking this one off slumlordimage
    Here is an 1826 O-107 R3
    This utilizes Obverse 4 with Reverse G
    Some characteristics of this die are:
    Obv- A strand of curl penetrates the base of L in LIBERTY, the milling is narrow and weak, star 13 is close (1/4mm) to curl
    Rev- Right side of T and left of I in line, several cracks on this one-one through NITED STA to the top of TE, another through OF along base of AME and up through RIC, another from lower arrowheads above 50C and across olive leaves to edge above U
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    This 1826 is fast becoming my favorite because of the "original" looking surfaces.

I do not know what the overton number is.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1826 AU Toned Capped Bust Half -- (Attributed as O-108a by Mepot & MikeKing-- Thanks!!)

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    here's my 1826 O-108a
    imageimage
    This is the Overton 108a. Peterson makes it easy to identify by showing a photo of it's 'hallmark',
    which is a tine in the drapery, above the lowest curl, that points in the direction of the clasp.

The obverse is the 5-s2, with large stars close to the molding,
    and a die crack from star 2, accross the peak of the cap to the edge.
    Another die crack goes from star 1, accross the bust, to join the top of the date.
    And yet another die crack from star 10 to the lower curl.

The reverse is H-s2 where the left sides of T and I are in line,
    and a die crack goes through UNITE and then along the top of the scroll to S OF AM.

• Options
    mepotmepot Posts: 585 ✭✭✭
    Slumlord98,glad you got this thread going,I thought we might miss a date.image This is

O-118A,R1.Hard to figure this one out due to weak obv. milling,stars are close to milling, but rev.diagnostics show,arrowheads are close and

joined by small defect lines,also has the die crack above merica,and the stripes on the shield are

almost solid.Rev color is kind of dark,obv is nice,imo.image

imageimage

computer illiterate,becoming coin literate with the help of this forum.
  • Options
    Stuart,looks like MikeKing did a good job describing your coin,they're sistersimage
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1826 O-112a R2 (Has all the die chips; should probably be called c-DS.):

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to lower half of a dentil. A diagonal die line cuts across the right leg of “R”. Date is close, with tall figures. “2” has a straight base with a tiny serif, and a short pointed curl.

imageimageimageimageimage

Reverse: Small tine juts out and down from crossbar 2 on right. Several stripe lines extend upwards too far. Top of first “S” in “STATES” is usually filled. “50C” is large and high, the “C” very large. Most show the upper angle of “N” partly filled. “I” is centered under the left side of “T”.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is an O-106a R3
    This variety combines Obverse 4 with Reverse F-s2
    This one shares the same Obverse as the O-107 I posted earlier in this thread so I will just list some Reverse characteristics
    Rev-The I is centered below the right side of T, R and I are joined at the base and there is a small extra serif on the left base of R in AMERICA. The "a" die state shows a nice die crack along the top of STATES OF A and another through RICA and across arrowheads to OC
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Wow, I have an 1826 half so I'll post it. It is my highest grade bust half in my little collection.

Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I can play!

O-117 (R-2)

From Overton:

Obverse 11 - Mouth open slightly, curl clear of headband
    Reverse P S unfinished, A-A nearly touch

Obv: Stars are large, close to dentils, and flat. Stars 1 and 13 are each a close 0.5 mm from drapery and curl. Date is 8.75mm.
    Rev: 50c is 2mm, A-A nearly touch. Right side of T, left side of I in line. Ceneter dot between crossbars 3 and 4. Letters in legend large, UNITED STATES close to edge. Line 1 of strip 5 extends into crossbar 3.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Merc,

Take a look at Mepot's coin, and compare it with yours.

Obverse: Look at the digits relative to one another, spacing and rotation. Look at the position of the "6" under the curl. Star 7, upper left, points to the same part of the headband-curl.

Reverse: Compare where scroll starts and ends relative to the letters above the ends. Check the position of the "I" under the "T". Note that "A" in "AMERICA" is a tiny bit higher at its base than the adjacent "M".

The two coins look the same to me, at least without either coin in hand.

• Options
    mozin got it,merc's coin is probably a better example of the 'a' die state of O-118.I can't

get a clear pic,but the die crack is just starting on mine.I guess mine is technically O-118,

they are both R1.
  • Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    Here's my one and only:

Zach
  • Options
    zrlevin,

Your coin looks like O-117 R2.

Obverse: Curl clear of the headband. Star 1 UH, Star 7 B, S13 C.

Reverse: "S" in scroll unfinished at top. "A" and arrowhead nearly touch. Center dot between crossbars 3 & 4. Large letters, most obvious by closeness of "D" and "S". "I" centered under right side of "T".
  • Options
    Another one of my 1826 bust halves.

• Options
    AU58WALKERS,

Looks like another 1826 O-108a, just like the two already listed by Stuart and MikeKing.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice image AU58WALKERS
    Larry

• Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Here's my O. 115. It's an R. 5-. I grade it EF 40. It possesses nice rainbow toning. A principal diagnostic is a straight die line above star 7. The L in LIBERTY on the obverse is recut on this specimen. This is not mentioned in the Overton description.

zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1826 O-102 R1:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to lower half of dentil. Star 7 points to upper edge of headband. “6” is high. (Same obverse as O-103.)

imageimageimage

Reverse: There is a line in the upper right serif of “E” in “E PLURIBUS”. “U" & "N” nearly touch at top. Top of second “T” in “STATES” is disjointed at left serif. Right side of “I” under left side of “T”.
  • Options

<< <i>Post your 1826s and tell some stories! Have fun! Learn something! But mostly, have fun.

In 1826, John Quincy Adams is in the second year of his largely unsuccessful presidency. Having entered public service at the age of 12, he shipped off with his father for France in 1779 to serve as his father's secretary in the ministry to France. They endured a rough voyage, landed in Spain, and traveled mostly by mule through the mountains in winter, an extraordinary journey for a fat man and his 12 year old son. When they finally arrived in Paris, they learned that Russia had agreed to accept a minister from our fledgling country, however, the appointee spoke no French, the official language of Catherine the Great's court. John Quincy was fluent in Latin, Greek, and French, so his father sent him on an even more arduous journey to Russia. This was the first assignment of a diplomatic career that would keep him mostly abroad for decades. After his presidency, Adams served Massachusetts with great distinction in the House of Representatives from 1830 til his death in 1848. He also argued before the Supreme Court on behalf of the slaves from the Amistad rebellion.

John Adams and Thomas Jefferson both died on July 4th, 1826.

Images are of a 26 112, a common die marriage with several interesting features. No cracks ever formed on these dies that I am aware of, but chips fill a portion of 3 letters on the reverse. The first to form is on the notch of R (AMERICA). Note how sharp the R is in the first pic, and compare it to the next one. A chip next forms in the top loop of S1, then in N. As to rarity, the prime die state is considered R4+, the die state with only a chip in R is presently unique, with a chip only in R and S is quite scarce, perhaps R4+ or R5-, and examples with all three chips are common.
    image >>

I am in lust

• Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1826 O-110 R2:

Obverse: Star 1 points to center of a dentil. “8” is recut inside its upper loop, showing on left. Curl of “2” has a blunt end. (Obverse shared with O-111.)

imageimageimage

Reverse: Dot in field above right claw. Arrowheads are attached by small defects. Centering dot between crossbars 4 & 5 at left. “D” and “S” are close. Right sides of “I” and “T” are in line.
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1826 O-103 R5-:

imageimageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to lower half of dentil. Star 7 points to lower edge of dentil, and to upper edge of headband. “6” is higher than “182”. (Same obverse as O-102.)

Reverse: Upright of “5” is recut, showing at left. Crossbars extend into wings. Line 1 of stripe 2 extends too far up. Left sides of “I” and “T” are in line.

Link to all Capped Bust Half Dollar series threads
  • Options
    Somebody must be buying 1826 CBHs.image
  • Options
    Here's mine, O-106a, R-3

• Options

<< <i>Here's mine, O-106a, R-3 image >>

Looks MS to me. Nice bust half.
  • Options
    Kennewickman,

Welcome to the CU Capped Bust Half Dollar series. You are contributing member number 103.

Yours is a gorgeous Bustie.image
  • Options

Some diagnostics for 1826 O-101a R2:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points between dentils. “2” has a needle-like point on its curl. A die crack joins bottom of date, and extends left. This specimen has a slight double profile.

imageimageimage

Reverse: A tiny tine extends from the left end of the scroll, near its top. “AT” is joined, while “AM” is well separated. Stripes are mostly solid. Many crossbars extend too far right or left. On this LDS, a crack runs form the top of “ICA” down to milling below the arrowheads. Another crack shows through the bottom of “50 C”. Right side of “I” is under left side of “T”.
  • Options
    The 1826 O-120 die marriage, EDS and LDS.

The obverse die on this die marriage is obverse die 13-s2. Obverse die 13-s2 was used immediately prior to strike the O-119. On the O-119 the die is named obv. die 13 for its early stage of usuage.

The reverse die on this die marriage is reverse die R. The was the last half dollar dated 1826 to be struck in the calendar year 1826. (Two other 1826 dated halves would be later struck in the calendar year 1827---but not immediately after the beginning of the year.) After striking the 1826 O-120, reverse die R was held over and used to strike the 1827/6 O-101 after the first of year in 1827. In the 1827 series the 1826 rev. die R was renamed 1827 reverse die A.

There are two quick, easy indentifiers for the O-120 die marriage:

(1) On the obverse the 2 is noticeably short, with the 26 higher than the 18. This is also true on the O-119, which shares the same obverse die.

(2) On the reverse there is a recut upper serif of the C, above and to the left. On worn specimens this may appear as a notched serif at the top. This can be easily seen in the photo of lower grade O-120 following. (This recut upper serif is also a quick indentifier for the 1827/6 O-101 which shares the same reverse die.)

Photos of the 1826 O-120, R4-:

The Later Die State of the O-120 die marriage (O-120a).

This LDS is identified by the two die cracks on the reverse.

The first runs through UNITE and extends through D STAT. A second die crack begins at the end of the first just above the U and circles down across leaves and 50 C. to the milling below the 2nd arrowhead.

Obverse die 13-s2 broke apart during the striking of the O-120. Even with the two die cracks, reverse die R still had "some life in it" and was used on the 1827/6 O-101. ...and, of course, the 1827/6 O-101 shows these same two die cracks.

Photos of the 1826 O-120a, R4-: (the coin pictured is ex Don Frederick and Reiver collections)

• Options
    Ed, very impressive post.

==========================================

imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1826 O-104a R3:

Obverse: Star 1 points between dentils. Plain “2” has a needle-like point. (Obverse shared with O-105.)

imageimageimage

Reverse: There is a defect bulge in the space right of stripe 1, showing near its bottom. The olive stem has two sharp lines on it, running into the left claw. On this LDS, a crack shows along base of “ERICA”, and another shows below “50 C” and arrowheads. “I” is centered under the left side of “T”.
  • Options
    edmerlredmerlr Posts: 563
    The 1826 O-109 die marriage.

This is a "common" R1 die marriage.

This die marriage was struck using Obverse die 6 and Reverse die I. This was the only use of these dies.

The quick indentifiers for this die marriage are on the reverse.

(1) AT of STATES touch. The bases are in line. (On the O-101 the AT touch, but the bases are out of line with the base of the T higher.

(2) AM of AMERICA is joined. There are other coins with AM either joined or touching. ...but the O-109 is the only die marriage with both the AT and the AM joined.

NOTE: Two later die states of this coin have been identified. They are not listed in the Overton/Parsley book. They are:

Late Die State (LDS): There is a die crack from star 9 to star 12 across bottom of curls to the upper part of 26.

Very Late Die State (VLDS): As the LDS with a die crack from the edge through the cap to between R and T of LIBERTY, dividing into two short cracks ending at the curl below the headband.

Please check your coins. Do you have one with a die crack?

If you have either the LDS or the VLDS, please post a photo on the Forum.

Photos of the 1826 O-109, R1:

• Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1826 O-105 R3:

Obverse: Star 1 points between dentils. On this EDS, a tiny die line shows in upper part of “L”, and two prongs protrude up into field from peak of cap. Plain “2” has a needle-like point. (Obverse shared with O-104.)

imageimage

Reverse: Line 3 of stripe 5 extends to far up. Lines 1 & 2 of stripe 6 extend too far up. Just right of stripe 6 at its top, is a die defect that Dr. Peterson calls a hammerhead. Letters in “UNITED” are tall, and attached to edge. Left sides of “I” and “T” are in line.
  • Options
    Bennybravo,

Welcome to our Capped Bust Half Dollar series. You are contributing member number 119.

You have a very nice looking 1826 O-108a R1 with all the required cracks for the LDS. Find this marriage in EDS, without cracks, and the rarity goes to R5. Here is my specimen for diagnostic comparison:

imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1826 O-108a R1:

imageimageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to lower half of dentil. A sharp tine shows in lowest fold of drapery just above lowest curl, points in direction of clasp. On this LDS, a crack goes from star 1, across end of bust, and joins top of date. Another crack goes from star 10 to lower curl.

imageimage

Reverse: On this LDS, a crack shows through “UNITE”, along top of scroll, and on to “S OF AM”. Left sides of “I” and “T” are in line.
  • Options
    Here is my example of the Early Die State R5 in the 1826 O-108 die marriage.

No die cracks, forecurl attached to the headband.

A few faint hairlines, but a great coin.

Photos of the 1826 O-108 Prime, R5:

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Mozin. I'm not a bust half collector, but my (then future) wife bought that one for me a few years back at one of those flea market type places with a coin booth for not a whole lot of money. I sent it to PCI back then, early 90's and they graded her a 53. The first really cool coin that I was proud to own, and the first I ever submitted myself.image
  • Options
    FEVERFEVER Posts: 232
    1826 O-111a sub-variety moved to end of list.

Edgar

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    My example of the 1826 O-117 R-2. The crack running through star 7 is a cracked planchet. On a little side story, the coin was bought at the St. Louis CSNS. I was there with my dad and when we met back up we shared our purchases and lo and behold we both purchased 1826 CBHs and they were both O-117s! What are the odds? I'll post pics of his later.

Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    1826, O-101a. R2. Obverse: Die crack along bottom of the date. Reverse AT joined and AM apart with left side of T and right side of I in line. Die Crack along top of ICA and runs along dentilation down along arrowheads.

Edgar

• Options
    1826, O-103, R5-. This is one I "cherried" last year (they're still out there!). This is the rarest 1826 date. Obverse: Star 7 to upper edge of Liberty's headband. Reverse: Left sides of the T and the I are in line. The 5 is repunched so that it tilts more to the right. The underlying 5's upright sticks out along the left side.

Edgar

• Options
    1826, O-110, R2. Obverse: The 8 shows recutting in the upper loop section. The 2 in date has a very blunt end. Reverse: Right sides of T-I in line. The arrowheads are attached to one another.

NOTE* In late die state the N in the die chips out and appears "filled" on the halves. Also, a die crack forms thru Stars 1 thru 7, and another thru the top 182 of date to Liberty's lower curl then goes to Stars 12, 11, 10 and finally still another above the cap from left dentils to right dentils.

Edgar

• Options
    This marriage has not yet been shown.

imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1826 O-113a R3:

Obverse: Star 1 points between dentils. “8” is recut, showing at lower right. “2” has a high base serif, and a blunt point on its curl. (Obverse shared with O-114.)

imageimage

Reverse: Line 1 of stripe 6 shows its upper end at top of uppermost three crossbars. Several stripe lines extend into crossbars above. Small tine juts off the beginning of scroll near its upper corner. In this LDS, a tiny crack runs from edge below “50 C” around to top of “UNI”. Another tiny crack goes over “TATES O”. Left side of “I” is under right side of “T”.
  • Options
    The 1826 O-114 die marriage. This die marriage is rarity rated R4+ with 81 to 120 specimens estimated to exist.

This die marriage was struck in the first part of calendar year 1827.

The obverse of this die marriage was struck using Obverse die 9-s2. This was the second and last use of this die. It was first used to strike the 1826 O-113 in the last part of the calendar year 1826. The O-113 was struck using Obv. die 9. Obv. die 9-s2 differs from Obv. die 9 in that there is usually or no milling left on the 9-s2 (due to die wear).

The reverse of this die marriage was struck using Reverse die N. This was the second and last use of this die. It was first used to strike the 1827/6 O-102 immediately prior. In the 1827 series this die is called Rev. die B.

The quick identifiers of this die marriage are on the reverse:

(1) The upper angle of N is partly filled.
    (2) AM nearly touch and the left base of the M is thinner and higher than the base of the A.
    (3) There is a diagonal line and a dot just to its right in the upper left corner of the shield.

Photos of the 1826 O-114, R4+:

• Options

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    Another missing die MARRIAGE: the 1826 O-119, R4-.

This is the second to the last 1826 DM struck in the calendar year 1826. (Two 1826 dated Busties would be struck later in calendar year 1827.)

The obverse of this die marriage was struck using Obverse die 13. This was the first of two uses of this obverse die. It would be used immediately after to strike the very scarce O-120 die marriage.

The reverse of this die marriage was struck using Reverse die M-s3. This is the second and last use of this reverse die. The reverse die was first used to strike the O-113 immediately prior. By the time the die was used to strike the Late Die States of the O-113 DM (O-113a) it had developed one long die crack. During the striking of O-119 the die cracks extends further and a second die crack appears above TATES at the top and runs to the milling above F. This die breaks up while striking the O-119.

Quick identifiers for the O-119 DM:

(1) In the date the 26 is higher than the 18. The 2 is short and mostly curl.
    (2) There are wavy vertical lines above the cap and there also is a scribe mark 4 or more dentils long above star 7.
    (3) There is a vertical defect line that crosses the two upper crossbars near the right corner of the shield (this is not visible in my photo).

Photos of the 1826 O-119, R4-:

• Options
    Hey Guys it has been 10 days since a post was made on the 1826 Thread, so I guess I will do another one.

Where is everybody?

My "Missing Die State" list says that the 1826 O-113, R3 die STATE is missing from the Thread. Here it is.

The neat thing about this DM is the quick identifier.

On the left edge of the scroll---at the same level as the upper left serif of the E---you will see a protruding tine. This is easily seen in my photo without any red arrows pointing to it.

This is the same reverse (Reverse die M) as the 1826 O-119, so the O-119 has the same tine. Also the 1826 O-101 has a similar tine.

To separate one from the other:

(1) On the O-113 the ED of UNITED are in line. On the O-101 the D is slightly higher.
    (2) The O-119 has wavy die lines above the peak of the cap. The O-113 does not have these lines.

Photos of my 1826 O-113, R3:

• Options
    Another nice Bustie...

imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1826 O-106a R3:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to lower half of dentil. Miss Liberty’s hair extends upwards into the bottom of the L. 8 is recut, showing at left. (Obverse shared with O-107.)

imageimage

Reverse: RI is joined, and R is recut at its left bottom outer serif, showing above it. On this LDS, a crack shows along the top of STATES OF A. Another cracks runs through RICA, across arrowheads, through C, and ends at rim below 0. I is centered under right side of T.
  • Options
    Here is another missing die STATE: The 1826 O-101, R1.

This die state is identical to the Late Die State O-101a of this DM except Reverse Die A has not began to crack and break up.

The O-101 has the same obverse die crack as the O-101a, that is, a die crack joining the base of the date extending left of the 1. There are no reverse die cracks.

Photos of my 1826 O-101, R1:

• Options
    My 1826 bustie, comments please:

Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file