Home U.S. Coin Forum

1827- the 10th Informative Picture thread about the Capped Bust Half Series- Post your Capped Bust H

Comments

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now, John, I have TOLD YOU about buying 1827's!image You must now send them to me.

Jim

Edit to add image
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
    Noticed one was missing and was going to finish off the DM's for the year by posting my 113...I can't. Upon looking at the pics prior to uploading them to Photobucket I noticed something didn't look right. In fact, it looked WRONG!!! My 113--I am embarrassed to say--is really a 112.imageimage Same reverse, different obverse. So now I need 4 DM's for the year not just 3.

imageimage

Does anyone have a 113 he wants to get rid of?
  • edmerlredmerlr Posts: 563
    Here are my current set pieces of one of the missing die marriages from this thread.

I will be showing my 1827 O-113, R4- and my low grade O-113a, R4-. Because of the toning on my O-113, some of the DM indentifiers will be easier seen on my O-113a.

The obverse of this die marriage was struck using Obverse Die 9. This was the only use of this die.

The reverse of this die marriage was struck using Reverse Die K. This was the first of three uses of this die. After striking the O-113, the reverse die was used to strike the scarce 1827 O-112 die marriage and then the unique 1827 O-149 die marriage.

Quick identifiers for this die marriage are:

(1) Above the cap on most specimens there is a patch of fine die lines from the milling. (On my O-113 example, count over 5 dentils to the right of the outer point of star 7. You will see these lines running below the 5th to 8th dentils to the right of star 7.)

(2) Erupting dentils. Beneath the 7 and to its right you will see two curved lines erupting from the dentils. (This is easiest to see on my O-113a example.)

(3) "AT" of STATES is joined. On other die marriages the AT are close, but do not share the same T - I relationship. To separate the O-113 from the O-112 and O-149: The O-149 has wavy lines beneath the bust, the O-113 has the erupting dentils and the wavy lines above the cap. The O-112 has neither of these.

(4) There is a die line across the apex of the shield. The die line is in the feathers showing to the left and right of the apex.

Photos of my 1827 O-113, R4-:

On the Late Die State of this die marriage, the 1827 O-113a, there is an obverse die crack.

This is a long die crack from the milling below the 2 that runs up through the tail of the 7, inner points of stars 13 and 12, then it curves upward just inside the stars to the cap.

Photos of my 1827 O-113a, R4-:

• The last of the 1827's....O-124a R-5.

This is one of my favorites, plus one still containing controversy!
    I have questioned this over and over, but I still don't see the common sense in it.
    Leaman - Gunnet shows us the Emmission Order of 124 to 125.
    SGFM questions this...So let's put down some evidence.

O-124 is the first use of Obverse 17 paired with Reverse T,
    O-125 is the first use of Obverse 18 paired with second use of Reverse T.
    So common sense puts O-124a as second reuse Obverse 17 with third reuse of Reverse T.
    Just observing the Plates in O/P gives this away, but many do not believe it's possible.

So diagnostics according to O/P,

O-124 Rev.T
    Center line of stripe 4 extends below shield, Right side of T- I in line, Light milling and letters drawn.

O-125 Rev. T- s2
    Same as T except there is little or no milling.
    "...Specimens with full milling" are Rare in the die marriage.

O-124a Rev T- s3
    O/P ???, what no clue?

So let us subject ourselves to a little show and tell.

Borrowing pictures from edmerlr's postings already in this thread.
    The plates in O/P's 4th Ed.
    Then, through my observations and pictures we can put this together.

Somewhere along the line, the great majority of the O-124 & "a's" disappeared!
    Melted, imported out for debt... etc.
    Now only less than a 100 exist.
    Making any real comparision even harder.

I guess a key here is found in O/P with the statement "...Light milling and letters drawn to edge."
    When do you find the above true?
    Second use, probably.
    But comparing other photos also shows the differences, O/P plate Obv. 17.
    Stars drawn to the edge, Obv. 17 may possibly be a recycled die.
    I haven't drawn that conclusion as of yet, which will lead to further studies.

O-124
    Look at the Plates in O/P, compare them with O-125.
    The 4th Ed. O-125 with strong milling!
    Along with the statement "...Specimens with Full milling are Rare!"
    How could that coin come after the O-124 Plate???
    From the Russ Logan example "The reverse has full borders, and the letters are NOT drawn to the edge."
    Not the O-124a listed but the O-124, the same as Ed's coin.
    So if the O/P plate of Rev. O-125 would be put as the first picture, we can go through this.
    With these 4 in hand we can start...

So this doesn't get real confusing and easier to follow, the following order of pictures is set.

1 ) In the 4th Edition of the O/P Book, page 467, 1827 O-125 Reverse T Early Die State.
    2 ) 1827 O-124 Reverse T.
    3 ) 1827 O-124a Reverse T.
    4 ) 1827 O-125 Reverse T Late Die State.

imageimageimage

I'm under the opinion that O-125 was the first use of Reverse T, Obv 18 is changed out for lapping, then a used die we call Obv. 17 was put into play until it was clashed, then removed and exchanged back for Obv. 18.
    When Obv. 17 was relapped it's final state of no milling AND was used up, until it was finally discarded and resumed with Obv. 18 on it's final leg when it erodes away.

imageimageimage

This set of pictures shows the evolution of the Letters and the Field surfaces.
    Studing the use of Letters in a NEWER die one gets to watch as use errosion & maintanence eats it away.
    Going from a crisp incomplete top surface ( the true NEW surface from the letter punches)...
    The worn to a level edge (Pic 2), finally to the drawn orange peel effect fields and mushy letter edges (Pic 3).

There are a couple of other diagnostics, with one that evolves with use, a small looping die crack or scratch under the Eagle's neck.
    A graver's slip, left of the apex of the upper sheild.
    Then two more on the right side.

So these are my thoughts about the O-124 & O-125 and which I think was first.

And the fact I still haven't shown the total 1827 O-124a, here it is!

Let me know what you think, comments?

Mike SGFM

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1827 O-112 R3:

Obverse: Star 1 points to lower half of dentil. Star 7 points to upper half of dentil, and to junction of curl and headband. Stars on the right are sharper than those on the left.

imageimageimage

Reverse: A and T in STATES are joined, and the first S is recut, showing higher at the right. Several stripe lines extend too far upwards, especially line 1 of stripe 5 to crossbar 5. A fine extra crossbar goes through the upper apex of the shield. It does not show in the picture. 50 C is high with a very large C. Left side of I under right side of T. (Reverse shared with O-113.)
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • That's a Very nice O-112 Mozin.
    Talk about a WELL struck up reverse!
    Looks AU62, a keeper.
    Good pick-up...image
    Mike
    Thanks Mike. It would be MS62 but for a tiny rub.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just looking through this thread again and I am still amazed at the beautiful rare coins held by some of our board members.
    Hey Ed- I have seen a couple of your scans of some of your album coins...can you show a scanned page of your 27's here?
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Ok John...

...here they are. Some are gorgeous. Some lack eye appeal (and I don't know what I was thinking when I bought them. If I was thinking).

...but here are the obverses of the good, the bad, and the ugly: (They are right after the last of the 1826's. Sorry no O-148 or O-149. I wonder why?)

Wow Ed,
    Only in my dreams could I put together a set of 27's like that.
    I am really really impressed.
    Thanks for taking the time to show these and what a beautiful presentation seeing them in an album.
  • Impressive Ed !!!
    Will they ever be available to you???
    O-148 & 149.
    Just to get this far is quite a challenge in it's self.
    Probably more 1827's seen at one time than most of us will ever see in a lifetime.
    Thanks Ed!!!
    Did you start your book yet???
    Ah...come on Ed
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimageimage
    Mike
  • FEVERFEVER Posts: 232
    Ed,

Simply OUTSTANDING! You don't see a set of this hand picked, equally matched quality very often. Thanks for sharing Ed.

Impressive!

Edgar
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just bought this 1827 CBH PCGS XF-45, any idea of the Overton # from these pics?

Thanks

imageimage
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's Mine!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    drddm,

Welcome to our CU Capped Bust Half Dollar series. I don't see any obvious attribution points on your coin, so I will leave attribution to someone else. 49 marriages is a lot to check, especially only from pictures.
  • drddm:

Your coin is the O-139, R4-

I had a problem at first. Finally I looked at ALL of the reverses on my 1827's. What gave it away were the bottom serifs of the first A in STATES. I compared the serifs of the A with the T's on each side. I had a match !!

Then I checked every obsure think I could think of by holding the loupe over the plate coin and then looking at you pictured coin.

I checked ALL of the stars that are visible on both the plate coin and yours. I checked the olive branch tip to the C of 50 C., the angle of the top of the 5, the ends of the scroll to the letters above, etc.

Once I discovered it was Reverse V it was a simple matter. Reverse V was used on the O-128 and the O-139. In checking the postion of the 7 under the curls, I instantly knew it was the O-139.

The O-139 is a very scarce - but NOT rare - die marriage.

Regards,

Ed
  • Here are pictures of a 1827 O-117a. The die crack is very hard to photograph because of the toning and my limits on my camera. But it is clearly there from the S to the 2nd T.

This one has the re-cut 5 on left side of upright on the rev, MERI nearly touch at base, the 2 in 1827 has a very thin stand and under a loupe it does look almost broken. Left side of E and right side of D inline, most of the reverse milling is missing. I is centered under T

Overton list it as an R.3 I researched this thread and saw an OBV in a album rated R.4

NGC POP for this variety is listed as 3 and ANACS list this variety as only a POP of 1. Any idea of what the PCGS POP is for this variety?

This coin has a slightly rotated die, ink marks on paper give idea of degrees rotated and where 1827 is located when reverse is viewed. Any ideas of a percent or rotation?

Any confirmation on if it is a R.3, R.4 or higher. I would like to update my O/P book.

Also at 2:00 on the reverse edge is what looks like a small rough (my name for it is what it looks like) or ragged die clip, small and looks like it came from the mint like that. It looks like a small metal flow into the lower left side of the clip and some of the milling above the clip looks to have been moved or stretched a bit when struck. It is not a dent but it looks like it was broken off. The high points in the break are sonewhat smooth like the edges.

The toning is a bit lighter gold / golden russet on REV and more greenish blue / golden russet on the OBV. Both side has real nice cartwheel

Missing My Life -PSA-Please Watch- 30 seconds could help someone you know

"If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around to hear it. Am I still wrong?"
  • PQ Morgans:

Under the photos in PhotoBucket should be 4 different URLs - one right under the other.

I click and paste the bottom one to get the photos here.

The BHNC changed the rarity of the 1827 O-117a die state to R4 in 1998.

Parsley - for some reason known only to himself - chose NOT to include all of the BHNC's rarity updates in the 4th Edition.

Regards,

Ed R.
  • Ed, Once again I thank you for your help. May this karma be with you on your next visit to a coin show. I hope there is a least a R7 waiting for you to discover her.
    Missing My Life -PSA-Please Watch- 30 seconds could help someone you know

"If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around to hear it. Am I still wrong?"
    PQMorgans,

Welcome to our CU Capped Bust Half Dollar series. You have a nice looking 1827 O-117a. Now go out and find more Busties.image
  • numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>drddm:

Your coin is the O-139, R4-

I had a problem at first. Finally I looked at ALL of the reverses on my 1827's. What gave it away were the bottom serifs of the first A in STATES. I compared the serifs of the A with the T's on each side. I had a match !!

Then I checked every obsure think I could think of by holding the loupe over the plate coin and then looking at you pictured coin.

I checked ALL of the stars that are visible on both the plate coin and yours. I checked the olive branch tip to the C of 50 C., the angle of the top of the 5, the ends of the scroll to the letters above, etc.

Once I discovered it was Reverse V it was a simple matter. Reverse V was used on the O-128 and the O-139. In checking the postion of the 7 under the curls, I instantly knew it was the O-139.

The O-139 is a very scarce - but NOT rare - die marriage.

Regards,

Ed >>

That's kinda funny, since I referred drddm to this very thread without checking to see if he already posted. Now I see that he posted to it before posting this thread on the same coin. Well Ed, at least we agree on the attribution!
  • Good job Ed.
    See how easy 1827 marriages are !...image
    A side note on the O-139, when found with full segments on the obverse and reverse.
    This die state is higher than the stated R-4- BHNC rating.
    It also represents the earliest die state additonally when found with the recut "N" in United.
    Normally not seen in this marriage !
    Mike
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here Ya Go..."-)

image >>

Hey DenverDave, I sure image the look of this CBH.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • dizzyfoxx
    That is a very pretty O-129.
    It is the most clashed marriage for the year 1827!
    Alot like the O-139 with a jointed letter in the scroll, this time the "L"
    Mike
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Awesome coin Dizzy image

I love the colors a lot!!!
    Can anyone think of a good reason for me to have bought this? And if you do are you willing to tell me?

imageimage
  • OKbustchaser...

...I'll take two wild guesses:

You bought it because you thought it was the 1827 O-144, R5+, but when you got it home and looked at postion of the 7 under the curls you discovered with chagrin that it was the O-106, R2?

Or, you bought because it would make - with a little alteration - a great tie tack?

Wrong on both counts?

How about a hint?

Regards,

Ed R.
    Close, (right thought about 144) but I think it is actually 130 after looking at it in hand rather than in bad (even worse than mine) seller pics.
  • Yea, I guess you're right.

It's an O-130(?) instead of the O-144.

If you don't want to turn it into a tie tack, it would make a great pocket piece. Pocket pieces are important, 'cause when people ask me what type of coins I collect, I answer them - and all I get in return is a dumb look. A pocket piece "explains it all."

Ed

I concur with the 130. The "1" in the date on OKbustchaser's coin is bowed inward, whereas the 106 has the "1" running straight to the top point.

There are other differences, but this is the most prominent and shortest to discuss IMO
  • I don't want to sound like I have a Phd or nothing.
    But I've been working on this years marriages for a while.
    I use a plotting method to differentiate the dies.
    Then in combination of the relavent diagnostics put together the correct combination.
    It's easier than it sounds.
    Looking at the T to I alignment we see its right side of T left side of I, ok, this is alignment #8 for 1827.
    (this is similar to the one in Edgar's Bust Half Fever, although I never saw the his book til last month, thanks to a wonderful friend who is always on these threads, thanks again Ed! And a real nut the BHNC way!)
    Well there are 11 1827 reverse dies that are this way.
    On the obverse the location of star seven to the left edge of the Headband.
    This alignment gives us a #4 location of the star which also shows where it aligns with the date.
    This alignment is found in 10 other Obverse dies.
    Now the result is that there are only two marriages that this could possibly be!
    O-130 or O-149...
    It's not O-149 because the "AT" in States aren't touching.
    So I'm in agreement with you, why did you buy this half OKbustchaser?
    Mike...image
    I was thinking more along the lines of poking a hole in it and using it for a keychain. It's been years since I wore a tie.

• No no no...
    Save the coin, buy one with a hole in it!
    Mike
    This eagle is about to have dinner.image

Some diagnostics for 1827 O-131 R2:

imageimageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to lower half of dentil. There is a die line starting below the headband under L at right, extending up into cap. Most stars show recutting, most obvious on stars 7, 11, and 12. 2 has a tall serif on its base. (Obverse shared with O-132, O-133, & O-148.)

imageimage

Reverse: O in 50 leans abruptly to the right. Stripes 2 through 6 are usually filled. Left side of I under right side of T. (Reverse shared with O-131.)

Note: Worm eagle wants to eat is a strike through.
    That is a really unique strike through Mozinimage
    I just posted some better pictures of the "worm" coin.image
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1827 O-114 R3:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to lower half of dentil. A tiny die lump shows in the upper left branch of Y. A hair strand touches the base of R. 7 is recut, showing at right.

imageimage

Reverse: Some crossbars extend too far, left and/or right. Arrowheads are broad and close, and the upper arrowhead nearly touches A. Right sides of I and T are in line.
  • Hey Archie....
    All I see are little red x's.
    Check your picture tags Tom.
  • Archie I like your new Avitar...image

Here's a close-up of the recutting in the 7.
    In the lower right side, later state than your post with the drawing showing below the base.

1827 O-114 date close.

Cat hair a new technical term ?
    Mike
    Here's a NewP from the Tucson Coin Show yesterday.

It's an O-119 (R4) and I put her at a strong AU-55 (possibly a 58).

imageimage
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    This apparently is an O-112:

imageimage
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
    Keeping the thread alive.
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 450 ✭✭✭✭
    O-101, a cacked 63. When I bought it I was told it was the second finest known O-101, but I'm not an Overton guy so I don't really know. Superb photo by Todd.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    107, 143, 146, 102
    Lance.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
    Those recent coins pictured are so pretty that I don't know if I can go to sleep tonight. I am soooooooo turned on. Thanks guys.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can''t remember if I posted this before (I don't think so), but 1827 is my favorite date in Bust halves.

This is why.

I received this 1827 Bust half for my 11th birthday on December 28, 1976.

I had been a coin collector for a little over a month at that time, and this was my favorite birthday gift.

Thousands of coins have come and gone through my hands over the last 37 years, but this one has stayed. It is one of only two of my childhood collection to have stayed with me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

• You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji