Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ARE YOU DIVERSIFIED??

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
Lets play. I have about 18% in coins, 17% in bonds, 35% stocks, and 30% cash. How about you, are you diversified??image
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    95% coins, 5% cash!!
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    10% liquid assets, 90% no common sense.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65% stocks
    20% bonds
    15% cash

Coins are my hobby, not my investment portfolio
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I collect:
    Bust
    Seated
    Commemorative
    Copper
    Nickel
    Proof
    Modern
    Barber
    Morgan
    Coins -- 100% image
  • Options

<< <i>65% stocks
    20% bonds
    15% cash

Coins are my hobby, not my investment portfolio >>

They are my hobby too, but I find them making up more of a % of the classic other three ( stocks, bonds , cash) when combined together. The kind of coins I buy and the $$ in I cannot ignore that it is also an investment. Kinda my own 'private equity' if you will.

• Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    20% student loan debt
    20% debt to family
    35% equity line debt
    25% credit card debt...

...how's that for diversified?

Oh, and I have about $42 in my pocket image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not particularly well diversified in coins nor in my overall finances
    for whatever that means.

If everyone is "diversified" in about the same way, is that really diversification or being a flock member?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>65% stocks
    20% bonds
    15% cash

Coins are my hobby, not my investment portfolio >>

I'm with RYK, except I am not a Bond guy--so bump up the % of stocks, decrease the Bond % and we are close.
    Like RYK, my coin money is not an investment vehicle, its my hobby.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    When I see doomsday scenario's/questions on the board, it prompts me to originate a post like this.

• Options

<< <i>I'm not particularly well diversified in coins nor in my overall finances
    for whatever that means.

If everyone is "diversified" in about the same way, is that really diversification or being a flock member?

roadrunner >>

I don't know the answer to that question. There is really no right are wrong if the economy is humming along. It really only becomes an issue for one's finances in the event of a serious economic downturn or doomsday. The question of diversification is a reflective one.

• Options
    If all the boomers are diversified about the same and are looking to cash out over the next 5-20 years, that's a problem. Whose gonna be there to pick up their stock and bond portfolio's? I do have to wonder if everyone has about 65-80% in stocks is that truly diversified?

I'm underdiversified in coins (too many saints and too much type)
    and underdiversified in stocks (too many gold stocks for example) and overdiversified into bullion. What's a person to do??? image

roadrunner
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ARE YOU DIVERSIFIED??

Yes. My portfolio consists of 1/3 coin inventory, 1/3 coin collection, and 1/3 credit card debt.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there is a doomsday, rare coins will be worth squat, as, for that matter, will be gold. The only truly valuable things will be guns, ammo, food, clean water, and good clothing. It always amazes me how rare coin collectors talk about doomsday, financial or otherwise, and don't realize there is a reason why it is called DOOMSday.

I buy coins as a hobby, but they are worth about 1.8% of my total assets (that includes my house).

Oh, and no, I'm not prepared for doomsday, it's not a world I'd care to live in.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    33 1/3% Half Dollars
    33 1/3% Quarters
    33 1/3% Others

My investments have nothing to do with the U.S. Coin Forum.
  • Options
    There have been smaller doomsdays and breakdowns in civilization as far back as recorded history. It seems that in each case an effort was made to bring along the gold (using food and ammo as supplies). Barring a complete reversal to cuckroaches and Cher, gold will still be a prized commodity. Those that have the shelter, food and water will want gold, oil and other commodities in their holdings.

If there is a catastrophic doomsday, most everything you have now will be worth squat.

roadrunner
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    I kept my meager coin collection and went all cash last week. I do own a small amount of silver.
    I will most likely get back in the market sometime next year.
    There is nothing wrong with cash, I sleep better. image. jws
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90% cash*

10% coins

*The amount in cash only becuase we are looking at buying a new home as soon as prices level out next year. That way I dont have to worry about dealing with a mortgage.

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I would hipshot 40% real estate, 25% stocks, 20% bonds, and 15% coins. I keep idle cash to a minimum.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    55% Coins
    25% Stocks/Bonds
    10% Cash

10% Set aside for my December trip to the Philippines, Sherlene and my church wedding ceremony in December and for bringing Sherlene home with me in January if her visa is ready!

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In no particular order

3% bonds
    40% stocks
    6% cash
    2% gold
    6% coins
    42% real estate (other than primary residence)

That last number has me a little bit concerned lately, but none of it is in hyperinflated local markets, and some of it is leveraged so that the properties themselves do not have to appreciate all that much for my stake in them to grow at a happy clip. I'm not really worried yet.
    mirabela
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to say:

60% stocks/mutual funds
    20% cash
    10% treasuries
    10% Gold bullion

I don't consider my coins an investment, although the majority certainly have appreciated over the last 10-15 years.
    If I had to factor 'em in... they would come in around 15% compared to the remainder of my investments.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    My weasel broker won't return my calls on the weekend to tell me but I think it's about
    65% stocks
    10% bonds
    25% coins
    1% cash
    I've got plenty of guns & ammo so when the shiat hits the fan I'll be taking my food, water & cash from the people that do not have any guns or ammo. image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everybody rents a home or apartment? K
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    NO!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...Barring a complete reversal to cuckroaches and Cher... >>

LOVED it!

Hey, let's not forget breast implants (and Twinkies?), they're bound to be scattered all around southern california. Come to think of it, would breast implants be considered a concealed asset?
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I've got plenty of guns & ammo so when the shiat hits the fan I'll be taking my food, water & cash from the people that do not have any guns or ammo.

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options

<< <i>If all the boomers are diversified about the same and are looking to cash out over the next 5-20 years, that's a problem. Whose gonna be there to pick up their stock and bond portfolio's? I do have to wonder if everyone has about 65-80% in stocks is that truly diversified?

I'm underdiversified in coins (too many saints and too much type)
    and underdiversified in stocks (too many gold stocks for example) and overdiversified into bullion. What's a person to do??? image

roadrunner >>

If we maintain free markets, then I think the answer to your first question may be foreigners.

Your second question, my experience has been a decrease in stock holdings, for those in the stock market, as one ages. Coins, well for some of us they remain an investment/hobby and for others a hobby. No right or wrong there.

I would say though that I believe the darkside is a really overlooked area and fast growing ( just by the sheer number of new collectors happening worldwide with there own growth of economic fortune). I think the US market is what it is, but the opportunities are more plentiful in the world coin market, ( for collectors and investors). Why, because there is alot less competition to seek and buy new collectable coin areas at very reasonable prices.

Stocks, well again international has been roaring for several years and should offer good growth long term.

One of the overall goals of diversification is to hopefully have something going up even if something else you own may be going down.

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, 10%coins 60% stock 30% cashshish
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Diversified?!?!, I'm downright PETRIFIED!!!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I don't consider my coin collection part of my investment stradegy. If I did, I wouldn't be collecting.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Hell no I'm not diversified. That went out with the 1990's.... I'll worry about being diversified after I have $10 million.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure I'm diversified, land, Bond's rookie cards 11T Tiffany, 96 Eagles, and ugly 93S's
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Oh, and I have about $42 in my pocket

that's about $37 more than me!

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just seem to accumulate "stuff". Doomsday happens, I only need one bullet.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% plasticimage
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭
    Real estate: 49%
    Bonds: 22%
    CD's: 22%
    Coins: 4%
    Stock: 2% image
    Cash: 1%
    Pension: Priceless image

I'm gearing up for retirement.

Joe.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Just checked. For my main account: 93.5% stocks; 6.5% bonds and short term. Coins don't factor into diversification for me.

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    jdsinvajdsinva Posts: 1,508
    I'm a collector that collects coins as a hobby. I don't consider it an investment.

For investments, I have a 401K account and an account with a brokerage.
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Am I diversified?? Nah, I'm heterosexual.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    70% in guns.......30% in shells.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    No coin investments for me, it's just a hobby.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

> "ARE YOU DIVERSIFIED??"
    ----------------------------------------------
    Yeah, I got no money, spread over a
    wide area!! image

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>70% in guns.......30% in shells.image >>

Wouldn't significantly more ammo than guns make a lot more sense?
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Am I diversified?? Nah, I'm heterosexual.

image. jws
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1% Coins
    9% Cash
    90% Rental Property
    No stocks, no bonds, no worry.image
    Larry

• Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    95% Beer, 5% Beer money.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    Near as I can figure...

1.2% coins
    13% bonds
    61% equities (13% foreign stocks)
    15% cash (4% more will go to my daughters college 529 plans in the new year)
    10% primary residence

oops,
    1% in bullion

I still don't count the coins as an investment but I am not ignoring the amount of money they are worth. I haven't figured out what my coins are worth for about two years. From 2000 to 2004 my collection was increasing at a 40% a year clip.

I figure I'll keep accumulating very low value coins until I get tired of them. So far I still enjoy them and I am sitting here going through $10 in nickels....
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • Options

<< <i>Lets play. I have about 18% in coins, 17% in bonds, 35% stocks, and 30% cash. How about you, are you diversified??image >>

Okay so I am now going to commit more to world coins so that my allocation to coins will go to 21% and my allocation to stocks with emphasis on international will go to 40%, my bond allocation will drop to 13% an my cash will go to 24%.

I think international stocks will continue to rock and the darkside classic will increasing grow in popularity.image

• Options
    90% stock and bond
    5% cash
    5% coins
  • Options
    I am now 55% stocks. I am taking money off the table in some oil stocks and raising my international stock exposure to 25% of total stocks with 70% in large caps and 5% in small caps.

In the international weighting I am going about 18% in Japan, 12% in emerging markets and balance in developed markets.

Bond weighting drops to 10% and cash reserves remain at 24%.

Rare coins remain at 21% but more emphasis on international.

For 2007, I am bullish equities but am waiting to commit more from cash after a 7% plus correction. Rare, original surfaces coins will continue to climb. Bonds will become less significant.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file