Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone have more info about the 1970-S Quarter overstruck on a Barber, that was confiscated from QDB

I was reading QDB’s Washington Quarters book. Although I don’t collect these, it is amazing the tidbits of information that he puts in these books to keep it fresh and interesting. I was looking at the information about the 1970’s quarters (my birth year). In the section on the 1970-S, QDB writes,

“The writer purchased a 1970-S proof quarter plainly struck over a 1900 Barber quarter. The coin was publicly offered and was seized by the Treasury Department. Apparently the concoction of a creative Mint employee, the piece somehow escaped into a 1970-S proof set, no doubt initially baffling its discoverer.”

Does anyone have additional information on this? I have never heard of it before. Specifically,

(1) Was the quarter “quietly” confiscated, or was there a big public outcry at the time?
(2) Did QDB fight the confiscation with any sort of legal proceedings?
(3) How much did QDB pay for the quarter, and when it was confiscated, did he seek reimbursement from the seller?
(4) Under what authority did the US Treasury confiscate the coin?

PS. Note to QDB-- the footnotes in Chapter 4 are a little messed up. The numbers are one footnote number ahead of what they should be (for example, footnote 5 in the back of the book really corresponds to footnote reference number 4 in the text, and so on).
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember seeing a picture of that coin when it was first offered for sale. Sounds like you might find it an an old B&R Rare Coin Review. Anyway, I always wondered where that coin went. I guess now we know.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Very interesting. Maybe the treasury was concerned that perhaps it was struck outside of the Mint by someone who had managed to make themselves a pair of dies and were thus treating it as a counterfeiting case? I have access to a pretty good newspaper archive so if anyone knows the appx dates this happened I can see if there was anything in the news about it.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that coin came out in the early/mid 1970's, at the
    Jack Tar Show in San Francisco......
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    If I'm not mistaken - there is a photo of that very coin in my favorite coin book of all time -- the Breen Encyclopedia of Proof Coins, published in 1977.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The is a picture of this coin on page 231 of Walter Breen's Encyclopedia of United States and Colonial Proof Coins. 1722 - 1977. There is a notation that it was sold by New England Rare Coin Galleries (Jim Halprin's old Boston firm) Cambridge sale, lot 1440, 12/76. In the Wintrop sale, held earlier, it sold for $3,000.

There no way that this could have been an ordinary error. It more than likely an inside mint job.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Great info. You guys are amazing. Does anyone have a link to a picture?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the first that I ever heard that the coin was seized.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Tom,

My memory recalls that the coin was put into a Bowers and Ruddy Auction,
    but "seized" before the auction took place.

I don't know any of the details of the seizure.

There was pretty good publicity at the time, and that tended to
    cool down some of the Proof errors that were coming out of the
    SF Mint at that time.

A few years later, the faucets opened up again..........
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    I think that the Bowers Winthrop sale was in 1975, and the New England sale in 1976, so I don't think it was seized out of the early sale.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great info. You guys are amazing. Does anyone have a link to a picture? >>

Here's the best I can do ...

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Maybe it was seized from the
    Third Auction Sale that it
    appeared in..?
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    bump

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    I saved the picture as a document and magnified it until the pixels started breaking down. I see nothing to make one think it is anything other than a normal quarter? Does anyone else see something I am missing?

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    The catalogue pictures are quite clear. It was struck over a well-worn Barber quarter.
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    I can't see anything at all either suggesting that it is a Barber Quarter from the photo in the book that can't be the quarter or is it?
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't see anything at all either suggesting that it is a Barber Quarter from the photo in the book that can't be the quarter or is it? >>

Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can imagine the rationale that a Mint emplyee gave at the time..."What? This is a Mint! Sure there's bound to be a coupla stray Barbers floatin' around."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't see anything at all either suggesting that it is a Barber Quarter from the photo in the book that can't be the quarter or is it? >>

image >>

i have the book. you can see the top of liberty's head and make out the day from the picture in the book.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    I remember hearing a story about a numismatist that would go on Mint tours, and whenever
    the opportunity arose, he would toss a struck coin (Liberty nickel, Indian cent, etc) into a bin
    full of blanks. The Mint's security was set up to keep people from taking things OUT, not bringing
    things IN. I have no idea if he was in San Francisco in 1970, but this is always a possibility.

I was on a Denver Mint tour with the ANA Summer Seminar in the early 1980's, and I remember
    on two occasions that a person in our group picked up a blank that was lying on the floor of the
    press room, and tossed it into a bin with different sized blanks. This probably happened often
    with Mint employees, who would just select the closest bin instead of deliberately picking one
    that would result in an error coin.
  • Options

<< <i>I remember hearing a story about a numismatist that would go on Mint tours, and whenever
    the opportunity arose, he would toss a struck coin (Liberty nickel, Indian cent, etc) into a bin
    full of blanks. The Mint's security was set up to keep people from taking things OUT, not bringing
    things IN. I have no idea if he was in San Francisco in 1970, but this is always a possibility.

I was on a Denver Mint tour with the ANA Summer Seminar in the early 1980's, and I remember
    on two occasions that a person in our group picked up a blank that was lying on the floor of the
    press room, and tossed it into a bin with different sized blanks. This probably happened often
    with Mint employees, who would just select the closest bin instead of deliberately picking one
    that would result in an error coin. >>

That would be more plausible if it were not a Proof, which theoretically gets looked at after being struck.
    I am sure it is one of the many Proof "errors" deliberately made and smuggled out of the Mint in this era.
    TD
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty fascinatin'. Hadn't heard that story before.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Too bad it's not still around. A bit "extreme", but very neat all the same.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this is an old thread, but what ever became of the coin seized?

This was in Heritage's gallery as "Not Sold" in August of 2011 - is this the coin?

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impressive would be a Barber quarter overstruck on a 1970 quarter.

peacockcoins

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting....had not heard about this...obviously not a standard mint error...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    @Strikeout The alignment looks the same.
  • Options
    So 1970 quarters have caught your eye.
    There are several reverse varieties in that year.
    In 1968 S the mint made two different proof only dies. CPG calls them types G and H. That was the on;y proof year for G. Both G and H showed up on a few 1969 D and 1970 D quarters.
    G also showed up on the 1970 Philly quarter. That was the only year it appeared at Philly. In addition both Philly and Denver struck class III doubled dies with both type F and G artwork.
    Usually they also show minor doubling.

Oops. This was supposed to be a private message, but I guess it does no harm to let it ride for now.
  • Options
    Seems like someone got it back or there are more to be had. If more are to be had I don't know if I would say anything about it as the SS will come and take them as not officially produced coins? Could someone be making overstrikes of this coin and putting them in the market, someone who got a hold of a press? Edit to add: the coin pictured in the holder looks like a light etching of the surface as the metal movement does not look right but that is JMO.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strikeout

Thanks for reviving the thread.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Enlarged

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Freak of (un)Nature, but cool image
  • Options
    Just as an aside, I remember this piece coming up for sale in the 70's when I was at Coin World and noticing that the cataloguer had given the weight, which was approximately the weight of a new clad quarter (5.67 grams), and declaring based on this fact that it must have been struck on a new or nearly uncirculated Barber quarter!

I called the auction house and spoke with one of their cataloguers and pointed out that an uncirculated Barber quarter weighed 6.25 grams, and he said "Oh. Then it must have been struck on a well-worn quarter!" Don't know if they made a correction at the sale or not.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    They took it because we all know it was not real and like coins made in china, they're not real and I know that could not be real.
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies - my question is more about what process this coin went through.

If it was seized at least on/before 2006 - and Heritage had it in an auction in 2011, and... assuming this is the same coin, what journey did the coin have after it was seized?

Did it go through some sort of hearing/litigation - was it studied and released back to the owner at that time, etc.

We all know 70 years is a long time for a barber quarter to be stuck in a hopper somewhere, so this obviously had some help in being created, but... would it be considered a 1970-S Washington versus a 1900 Barber?

Coins were reused all the time, albeit supposedly melted to create new planchets - I don't know of any period where we intentionally overstruck existing coins (Except maybe Mr. Carr's creations).

If this was originally found in a 1970 Proof set, was that set verified legit (meaning the mint overstruck it and packaged it versus someone placing it into the set afterwards).

It just seems we have so many miniscule details of most things today that this one is missing "The rest of the story".
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those "packages" can readily be tampered with...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thread! First that I have heard of this..
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story. Brings back memories.
    Wondered what ever happened to
    that coin !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These examples of historical intrigue, like the 1913 Liberty nickels etc. never cease to interest me whether true or not.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for bumping a Longacre Classic™ thread. image
  • Options
    There were lots of cool Proof Error coins coming
    out of the San Francisco Mint back in the late
    60's, and especially during the 1974-1977 period.

I myself bought large quantities of proof error
    coins at the Jack Tar Shows, which was in San
    Francisco for many years.

The coin in question was struck on a Barber Quarter
    that someone brought into the SF Mint. It was not
    sitting around there for 70 years, imo.

I have never heard that the coin seized by the SS
    was returned (although it might have been), but
    I find it hard to believe that someone had TWO
    1900 Barber Quarters brought into the Mint - maybe
    two different dates - who knows. I'll assume it's the
    same coin.
  • Options
    EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭
    Interesting read...thanks
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”
  • Options
    can someone superimpose a barber quarter over the washington quarter so we can get a better idea of what which side is which.
  • Options
    feeter277feeter277 Posts: 48 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
    >>

...Coins were reused all the time, albeit supposedly melted to create new planchets - I don't know of any period where we intentionally overstruck existing coins (Except maybe Mr. Carr's creations)... >>

In the early 1790's and early 1800's I understand the mint used cut-down tokens, and cut-down spoiled large cents to make half cents. Perhaps others have more examples.
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

thank you do you have the other side?
  • Options
    feeter277feeter277 Posts: 48 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Heritage coin is not the same coin as the Winthrop sale coin. The Winthrop sale coin has the head struck on the obverse while the Heritage coin has the tail struck on the obverse.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I don't know of any period where we intentionally overstruck existing coins..."

This has happened before. One of the 1804 silver dollars (Class II) was struck over a Swiss shooting thaler. Many of the 1795 half cents were struck over cut-down Talbot, Allum & Lee tokens.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"I don't know of any period where we intentionally overstruck existing coins..."

This has happened before. One of the 1804 silver dollars (Class II) was struck over a Swiss shooting thaler. Many of the 1795 half cents were struck over cut-down Talbot, Allum & Lee tokens. >>

There are also 18th century half cents struck on cut down planchets from mis-struck large cents, I recall seeing at least one of them where the undertype was not only still visible but could be attributed by Sheldon number.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Listed on ebay:
    1970-S Proof 25C Struck on a Silver Barber 25C NGC PF 65

Also, a 1970-s Proof Quarter struck on a 1941 Canada Quarter that's been getting a bit of press: 1970s proof 25c struck on 1941 Canadian 25c

Seller's write up:

Proof coins are struck by technicians who had feed the blanks into special presses. They are produced, examined and packaged using extreme quality control. It is very unusual to find major proof errors. A few broadstrikes, off-centers, double strikes in collars and off-metals have been known to be found in sealed proof sets. Proof errors are aggressively sought after by many error collectors.

A very small group of Proof errors recently came from a collection that was auctioned by the State of California. The U.S. Secret Service inspected and released this collection to the State of California determining that it was legal to own. The State of California then auctioned the collection and it has been dispersed since the sale.

This unique 1970-S Proof Quarter from the United States was over struck on a 1941 Quarter from Canada. This mint error was originally discovered in group of San Francisco Proof Errors that was auctioned by the State of California. There is a significant amount of detail on both sides showing the design of the Canadian Quarter. This is one of the most fascinating and intriguing proof mint errors ever discovered.
    Dan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file