Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Finally, a Proof Merc I can live with!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been looking for a Proof Mercury Dime for a set I'm working on and thought I'd share a picture of the coin I finally settled on. It's currently on it's way here with a companion 1941 Jefferson which appears to have some appreciable Cameo frost/contrast under some cloudy haze. I find that 1941 Proof issues in Gem grades are a bit more difficult to locate than some of the other pre-1950 dates, making them a pleasant surprise when they show up. This Dime will most likely be a bit more vibrant in-hand, my hope is that the mirrors haven't been dulled any by the tone. My impression is that it sat for many years in a folder or Capital type holder. Enjoy.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    It looks very attractive and I bet the mirrors will be just fine. Congratulations.
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    I like the toning. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Very nice pick up! Congratulations! image
  • Options
    this should make missing coins offered by Airplanenut and Darin5 a bit easier to accept. Jeremy had listed an especially nice coin about a year ago that i hesitated on for reasons i'm still not sure of. from my searching over the past 18 months it seems that Proof Mercury Dimes suffer the same fate as 1942 Type 2 Jeffersons, the majority get dipped back to white!!! granted, the brown/gold splotchy tone that devlops on these small coins can sometimes be unnattractive, but finding a non-white example is tough.

though i still find myself on the upward rising end of the learning curve, i'm appreciating the hunt for original looking coin more each day. i can't really understand the challenge that early 19th Century collectors endure, but it sure must suck.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one?

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Very, very nice Keets!
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin keets, probably looks a lot better in hand. Can I ask the grade?

here's a 64

I really need to crack this out of the rattler and take some decent pictures.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    yes, i think that's the one. it has the "look" that gets me every time regardless of the denomination. thanks for the reminder.image
  • Options
    NGC PR67.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy, what's that mark on the reverse fasces just above the center bands?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on a very pretty coin! image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question baley.... I have never seen that before... and it looks like part of the coin... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    "Super" example!!!! Congrat's on that oneimage
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Ahhh the reward of a long search just completed. This is what makes collecting so much fun for many of us.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    -- "Finally, a Proof Merc I can live with." --

Life is full of compromises! image Nice dime, Al.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yes, i think that's the one. it has the "look" that gets me every time regardless of the denomination. thanks for the reminder.image >>

Not a problem--and I really like yours. The one I posted sold two years ago.

Baley--I haven't seen the coin for 2 years and couldn't tell you... looks like a hit based on the picture.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very pretty Merc!!! image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool Merc!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Awesome looking Mercury Dime Keets, wonderful eye appeal.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Ahhh...patience pays off once again. Looks real nice Al.image
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I don't know what that dime sold for and it's none of my business. But, assuming that it didn't bring a large premium (roughly 30% or more) over what a generic, color-free, far more common looking example would sell for, I really like that type of purchase from a collector's or dealer's standpoint.

If you pay a huge multiple for a wildly toned coin, you might have a problem with future liquidity, and if you buy an ordinary, run of the mill specimen without any personality, you have nothing different/special. It's that somewhat elusive non-monster but assuredly non-generic type of coin at a modest, well deserved premium that I constantly pursue and feel most comfortable dealing in.
  • Options
    well, the coin arrived yesterday and as Mark stated, the mirrors are just fine, in fact they're quite brilliant even under the intense rim tone. the colors are also more vibrant and the centers of the coin are brighter than the pictures would indicate with the only serious mark being in front of Liberty's nose with some faint inconsequential ticks on the fasces. this is a coin where the seller could have said "it looks much better than the pictures indicate" and for once, been understating!!image
  • Options
    Congrats, Al - that one looks like a keeper! I love proof Mercs and at only 7-coins, they make a sweet set.

Ken
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    "If I had money, I'll tell you what I'd do...!"
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Good to hear it looks better than the picture. Nicely toned ones are hard to find. Like you said, many are dipped back to white. My 1940 had the origional light hazy tan toning when I bought it. It was sad and had no eye appeal. I dipped it to reveal a moderate cameo. It is a proof merc I can live with!

Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Wow! Nice one. Congrats.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file