Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

UPDATE! - PCGS FIRST STRIKE CUTOFF GUIDE

NEWEST UPDATE! SUNDAY NOV. 5 2006!

LAURA HAS POSTED A DIRECT LINK TO AN OFFICIAL PCGS WEB PAGE PROVIDING SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
FOR THE ASE & AGE SETS! Here's her message so you don't have to search for it....

<< <i>"The 20th Anniversary cutoffs are on the Customer Service Update section of the PCGS website.
This is where you should check for similar guidelines and changes such as pricing and return shipping fees." >>

http://www.pcgs.com/customer_service_update.chtml/

I highly recommend speaking to Laura if calling.
THANKS TO LAURA FOR ALL HER EFFORTS!

Comments

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the work, the problem is do all the underlings know the rules???

Lets hope so.
  • Options
    Just to clarify...

"If you Keep Your Mint Package Sealed - you can send it to PCGS ANYTIME and still request your coins to be labeled as First Strike" -- Only if the shipping date/post mark from the fulfillment center is on or before the PCGS specified cutoff date. If the package is post marked after the cutoff the coins will not qualify for First Strike, open or not.

This only addresses First Strike. 10th/20th Anniversary inserts--that's a whole other ball game that varies depending on the insert.

And remember the additional $10/coin and send it "attn: Bulk".

CC2GO - Thanks for the recommendation!

-Laura
  • Options
    Can "First Stike" still be had on all 3 Silver 20th Anniversary coins as long as they are in the sealed box as shipped from the govt?
    Sean

<< <i>Just to clarify...

"If you Keep Your Mint Package Sealed - you can send it to PCGS ANYTIME and still request your coins to be labeled as First Strike" -- Only if the shipping date/post mark from the fulfillment center is on or before the PCGS specified cutoff date. If the package is post marked after the cutoff the coins will not qualify for First Strike, open or not.

This only addresses First Strike. 10th/20th Anniversary inserts--that's a whole other ball game that varies depending on the insert.

-Laura >>

"You can't accumulate unless you speculate"
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laura to save you and your crew a lot of questions can you walk us through a submission?

I have a box of three ASE 20th anniversay sets in the unopened mint box postmarked October 27 2006.

I have my CC submission form in my hand, what do I do to get these sets to you and graded with the 20th anniversary/1st Strike inserts?

Thanks
  • Options
    Thanks Laura!

And, I hope everyone who read "blame CS"
    caught on to my sarcasm! image
  • Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just to clarify...

-Laura >>

imageimage
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's one if by land and two if by sea and seven if by electric jet.....
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    "can you walk us through a submission?"

I can try... here it goes...

First Strike designation for 3pc Gold 20th Anniversary and 2pc Mint State Silver & Gold 20th Anniversary sets:
    • To get all coins in the set designated, the sets must come to PCGS in the original government boxes they were shipped in.
    • The box must be unopened.
    • The shipped date on the shipping label must be October 24th or earlier.
    • Any opened boxes or sets shipped loose out of the government boxes DO NOT qualify for First Strike.

20th Anniversary designation after October 24th:
    • To get all coins in the set designated, the sets must come to PCGS in the original government boxes they were shipped in.
    • If the sets or loose coins arrive in open boxes, the only coin to receive the 20th Anniversary would be the Reverse Proof as this coin is currently only offered in the 3pc set. The other 2 coins are available in other sets or individually. (This is subject to change if the government decides to offer the Reverse Proof individually at a later date.)

First Strike designation for 3pc Silver 20th Anniversary sets:
    • To get the 20th Anniversary First Strike designation, the sets must come to PCGS in the original government boxes they were shipped in.
    • The shipment date on the shipping label must be October 24th or earlier to get all 3 coins 20th Anniversary First Strike, or November 11th or earlier to get the Proof and Reverse Proof 20th Anniversary First Strike.
    • Any opened boxes or sets shipped loose out of the government boxes DO NOT qualify for First Strike Except for the Reverse Proof Silver Eagle which qualifies until November 11th, 2006.

20th Anniversary designation after November 11th:
    • To get all 3 coins designated, the sets must come to PCGS in the original government boxes they were shipped in.
    • If the sets or loose coins arrive in open boxes, the only coin to receive the 20th Anniversary would be the Reverse Proof as this coin is currently only offered in the 3pc set. The other 2 coins are available in other sets or individually. (This is subject to change if the government decides to offer the Reverse Proof individually at a later date.)

First Strike inserts have a $10/coin insert fee in addition to the regular grading fee. There is no additional fee for the 20th Anniversary insert.

All customers who request the return of original packaging are required to pay $2/box return shipping charge.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Laura

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great clarifications Laura!

Very detailed and concise and even I can understand it image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Now this is sweet! Customer Service is ON THE LINE!

Thanks for the clarification Laura! Now, if you could get someone to trash all those other confusing threads, everybody would have only one thread to go to for their info!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    So even if you send the sets in in the set box, if they aren't in the unopened shipping container, they don't all get the 20th Anniversary label.image It makes sense, but I wish I'd seen this sooner. Oh well, on to ebay they go.

Dennis
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Laura

hi laura. great clarification on the submission of these sets.

because of the confusion of cutoff dates and all i sent in an unopened box and only specified and paid extra $10 for the reverse proofs. now i see i can get ALL coins in the sets labeled FIRST STRIKE. how can i straighten my order out to get first strike on all of them? thanks
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options

<< <i>So even if you send the sets in in the set box, if they aren't in the unopened shipping container, they don't all get the 20th Anniversary label.image Wish I'd seen this sooner. Oh well, on to ebay they go.

Dennis >>

they get 20th anniversary label but not first strike.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    they get 20th anniversary label but not first strike

Other way around. I can still get the first strike sdesignation, but not the 20th Anniversary label. Not sure it's really worth it without the 20th Anniversary label.

Dennis

• Options

<< <i>they get 20th anniversary label but not first strike

Other way around. I can still get the first strike sdesignation, but not the 20th Anniversary label. Not sure it's really worth it without the 20th Anniversary label.

Dennis >>

ok, now i`m confused again, sorry if i gave wrong info.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Now, any of you mugs still get confused,

we will have to remove your utensils.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I guess I can't reseal the original mint package and have it pass for unopened either.

Dennis

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Guys, do you REALLY think this is all about MORE money when you sell? I honestly believe that the market will care nothing about these so called "first strike" labels come 2007. It is all BS anyway. Coin collecting is about the COIN. Do you have a PR69 or a PR70 or a MS69 or a MS70. THAT is where the value is, not in a stupid label which has stupid rules about dates that have absolutely nothing to do with WHEN your coin was ACTUALLY struck. I guess everyone thinks it is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. IT IS NOT ABOUT THE COIN. JMHO.
    Steveimage
  • Options

<< <i>Guys, do you REALLY think this is all about MORE money when you sell? I honestly believe that the market will care nothing about these so called "first strike" labels come 2007. It is all BS anyway. Coin collecting is about the COIN. Do you have a PR69 or a PR70 or a MS69 or a MS70. THAT is where the value is, not in a stupid label which has stupid rules about dates that have absolutely nothing to do with WHEN your coin was ACTUALLY struck. I guess everyone thinks it is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. IT IS NOT ABOUT THE COIN. JMHO.
    Steveimage >>

Steve,
    Which would you pay slightly more for: a graded coin that received a 69 or 70 on its first try or one that has been submitted multiple times in the hope of reaching a higher grade? If the insert was changed to First Try (being graded), would that make a difference to you? IMO, that is why there is this much attention being paid to FS coins.
    --Keith
  • Options
    THAT is where the value is, not in a stupid label which has stupid rules about dates that have absolutely nothing to do with WHEN your coin was ACTUALLY struck. I guess everyone thinks it is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. IT IS NOT ABOUT THE COIN.

I don't really care about the first strike designation, but if I'm going to have a set graded, I would like it to have the 20th Anniversary set label.

Dennis

• Options
    Which would you pay slightly more for: a graded coin that received a 69 or 70 on its first try or one that has been submitted multiple times in the hope of reaching a higher grade? If the insert was changed to First Try (being graded), would that make a difference to you? IMO, that is why there is this much attention being paid to FS coins.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. First strike would be entirely different than first try.

Dennis

• Options

<< <i>Which would you pay slightly more for: a graded coin that received a 69 or 70 on its first try or one that has been submitted multiple times in the hope of reaching a higher grade? If the insert was changed to First Try (being graded), would that make a difference to you? IMO, that is why there is this much attention being paid to FS coins.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. First strike would be entirely different than first try.

Dennis >>

Then I do not see any additional value with a coin designated as FS IMO.
  • Options
    Then I do not see any additional value with a coin designated as FS.

I agree with you on that point 100 percent. It's all hype in my opinion.

Dennis

• Options
    It's funny....people debating 1st strike on this board.

People.....I doubt many on this board will argue with you. We are a relatively small community of collectors who are a bit more tuned into coins that the "average" collector. That is why so many of us got to the USMint's website in time for the AGE 3pc set, etc.
    However, the general collecting audience at large.....well, they aren't quite as up on it, that's why deceptive marketing practices win out. That's why you still find people writing to CoinWorld saying they are disappointed that a trade dollar they bought on ebay, from China, was a fake. (DUH!)

Given that, I doubt many (to no one) on here would pay more for a 1st strike label (I have a couple but only because that is all that was available when I wanted the SAEs from the last year or two, and I didn't pay a premium) than for anything else. However, people who are SELLING know they will get the same, or more, for a coin labelled 1st Strike, so why not go for it?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    OK, now I am confused. If you look at the first post it states you can get first strike even if the box is open, but the date on the shipping label is with in the dates slotted for first strikes. I received my first 3 set gold on the 21st and my wife opened it knowing how much I was looking forward to getting them. She did make a very nice presentation when I got home...got to love her!

Clarification would be great!

JP
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I have an unopened box of 10 SAE sets that I plan on dropping on the PCGS table in Baltimore. It's post marked Oct 18th.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    It used to be about the coins.

Then it was about the plastic.

Now it's about a little piece of paper inside the plastic.

My, how we've fallen...
  • Options
    Does anyone know if PCGS can tell you exactly when the coins were struck?
  • Options
    Then I do not see any additional value with a coin designated as FS.

Highly unlikely.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now, any of you mugs still get confused,

we will have to remove your utensils.image >>

Yeah bear I am a little confused, but maybe someone here can straighten me out.

My question is : Wasn't Jesus born in a MANGER, too image ?

Hello Laura, welcome to the fish bowl.

RE: Laura's Title image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am continually amazed.... still people debating 'first strike' when such a thing does not exist (unless you work at the mint and take the first coin off the press). It is hype, not real, BS, crapola, garbage etc. etc. etc. When the US MInt posts the facts on it's site, and still the myth continues - propagated by TPG's.... (which really should be labeled 'Early Ship Date'... since it is nothing else)... I simply cannot understand even conducting discussions any longer. BUY THE D--MNED COIN!!!!! Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    When the US MInt posts the facts on it's site, and still the myth continues - propagated by TPG's.... (which really should be labeled 'Early Ship Date'... since it is nothing else)... I simply cannot understand even conducting discussions any longer. BUY THE D--MNED COIN!!!!! Cheers, RickO

Exactly why I would NEVER pay a premium for a first strike designated coin.

Dennis

• Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When the US MInt posts the facts on it's site, and still the myth continues - propagated by TPG's.... (which really should be labeled 'Early Ship Date'... since it is nothing else)... I simply cannot understand even conducting discussions any longer. BUY THE D--MNED COIN!!!!! Cheers, RickO

Exactly why I would NEVER pay a premium for a first strike designated coin.

Dennis >>

And no one is asking you to.

• Options

<< <i>

RE: Laura's Title image >>

My fault, typing without a license!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

RE: Laura's Title image >>

My fault, typing without a license! >>

And you are a darling ... thanks.

I got my first strikes in the mail today. 2 anniversary 2 coin sets.

Wow.
    silver= ms68, ms69
    gold were both 69s.

Tell them graders I said they are gooooooooooood !

Happy Halloween to ya'll out there, too

Joe
    edit to add :
  • Options

<< <i>which really should be labeled 'Early Ship Date' >>

imageimage
  • Options
    Agreed that "FS" is not something I care about, BUT...does anyone see value in having the coins slabbed with an insert that says "20th Anniversary", and omitting the "FS"?

This is what I plan to do with my extra set.
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options
    BUT...does anyone see value in having the coins slabbed with an insert that says "20th Anniversary", and omitting the "FS"?

Yes.

• Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    Hi Laura, can I send in 1 3 piece SAE set and not have to meet the 5 coin minimum? Thanks in advance.......>Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    Wow! When you guys get started on a topic you really run with it!

I need to make an addendum...

The Silver Reverse Proof can be sent in loose for First Strike and 20th Anniversary if post marked by 11/11. (This is contrary to what I posted earlier.) This is because this coin is only offered in the 3 pc set. Same rules apply--$10 extra and attn: bulk. After the 11th, this remains the only coin that would qualify for the 20th Anniversary designation on its own (for no additional fee).

Just to confuse you a little more! image

-Laura
    (not born in a manger)
  • Options
    hi laura, pm sent. thanks for your help.
  • Options
    imageLaura,

I really didn't think you were born in a manger, and ya gotta love yer job.... at least I hope.
    I am really proud of your efforts, too. Thanks for the feedback to you, Carol, Sean and the whole customer service team. Follow- up is impressive, to say the least.

JimageE
  • Options
    I have just edited my post with the guidelines for First Strike and 20th Anniversary cutoffs.

The specific change made was regarding the Mint State Silver Eagle. Since this coin was released earlier in the 2-coin Uncirculated-W sets, the First Strike cutoff is October 24th. This does reduce the window in which 3pc sets qualify, but it is necessary to maintain the First Strike designation.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

-Laura
  • Options

<< <i>I have just edited my post with the guidelines for First Strike and 20th Anniversary cutoffs.

The specific change made was regarding the Mint State Silver Eagle. Since this coin was released earlier in the 2-coin Uncirculated-W sets, the First Strike cutoff is October 24th. This does reduce the window in which 3pc sets qualify, but it is necessary to maintain the First Strike designation.

-Laura >>

Well, I just sent my 10/27/06 set in today image
    If I had seen this, I wouldn't have done it. I just got screwed on 5 sets (2 coins I wouldn't have done, each). I would have opened the box and cherrypicked the reverse proofs and only sent those image

So, this change just cost me (($24*10) + (5*$2 for package return) + misc extra on shipping)......so, at least $250+ extra image

Sorry, but this is pretty upsetting to me

Using the same logic above about the 1st strike designation, you may as well remove the PR as it was released months ago. Nothing special about it in the set either.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing has changed from Ron Guth's Guidelines which were publlished a month ago. Since the MS Silver Eagle from the 3 pc set is the same coin as the coin in the 2 pc. set, the First Strike deadline started for the coin around 9/25/06 and ended around 10/24/06 (or actually 10/25/06 I believe, but, not a big deal either way). I had mentioned this as well the other day on another thread.

The only real impact I see with this situation is that 3-pc. complete 69 grade FS Silver Eagle sets are much tougher to complete because all sealed sets submitted between 10/25/06 - 11/11/06 will now receive 2 FS coins and 1 non-FS coin.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Recommendation:

PCGS take all the information about submitting these and place it on their web site under the submission center link!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Wondercoin,

You can't have different information, particularly dates, posted by representatives of a company.
    That is what is wrong.

To say "nothing has changed from Ron Guth's message.....", fine and dandy but don't have conflicting info POSTED by a rep.
    It is one thing to have "he said, she said" as part of a rumor mill and 3rd hand info. It is quite a different thing to have it 1st hand and posted.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have just edited my post with the guidelines for First Strike and 20th Anniversary cutoffs.

-Laura >>

Well, I just sent my 10/27/06 set in today image
    If I had seen this, I wouldn't have done it. I just got screwed on 5 sets (2 coins I wouldn't have done, each). I would have opened the box and cherrypicked the reverse proofs and only sent those image

So, this change just cost me (($24*10) + (5*$2 for package return) + misc extra on shipping)......so, at least $250+ extra image

Sorry, but this is pretty upsetting to me

Using the same logic above about the 1st strike designation, you may as well remove the PR as it was released months ago. Nothing special about it in the set either. >>

!!!!!!Same happened to me, after getting clarification, That convinced me That was wrong, I bought 10 sets for double price and now I am scr__ed
    Michael
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bochiman: I generally agree with you and, of course, nearly all the information disseminated was accurate. IMHO, the issue of the MS Silver Eagle was simply an oversight on someone's part (not necessarily Laura's either) - and it certainly shouldn't seriously impact a submission decision. These sets are basically all about one thing - THE REVERSE PROOF SILVER EAGLE and trying to get the coin in either PCGS-PR69 or 70 grade!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    What difference can this make. If the coin is in the sealed box and never opened how can we not get fs on a sealed set which was delivered before 11/11/06 ?????????????????

So let me get this straight. I just sent in a 5 box sealed set for grading and the rev proof and the proof will be fs/ 20th anniversary. The ms coin will have a different designation? Just 20th anniversary?

I have several emails telling me it's ok, and that I will get the fs and 20th anniversary designation on all of my silver sets as long as they were dated earlier than 11/11/06 from the us mint fulfillment center and of course unopened.

Unbelievable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file