Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many major shows are you going to annually? Has the number gone up or down in the last 5 years?

In 2001, I think I attended all 3 Long Beach shows, Santa Clara(1), the ANA Summer show, Baltimore, and FUN.

This year(2006), only 3--ANA, Baltimore and FUN.

Several reasons:

1. Not as many coins for my needs at the "smaller" shows

2. I am now having a dealer represent me at shows I do not attend

3. The time and cost are important factors, as to the shows where it is only a guess that fresh coins will be available.

Dealers and collectors: Have you changed your priorities for setting up/attending coin shows? Reasons?
TahoeDale

Comments

• Options
    I have never been to a major show. I was in St. Louis one week before that show and didn't know it was coming up or I would have made my trip a week later. Actually, the thought of being at a major show scares me---I'd be totally broke in a day.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    two in 2006 (FUN + ANA), likely 3-4 in 2007 (I'll have lots more time on my hands after a while in 07)
  • Options

Usually just one a year - FUN

Jack

• Options
    I went to one show in NYC last year. Can't recall the name of the show, though. That was the first one in several years.
    If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

-- Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Due to the advice from my father ("Go travel as much as you can before you end like me"), my number of major shows have increased. This year, I've gone (or plan to go) to 5 majors - 3 Baltimore, 1 Atlanta ANA, and 1 Denver ANA. Next year, I plan on going to all 3 Baltimnore shows, the Charlotte ANA, and one makjor curency show - probably Memphis.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I usually go to the Baltimore shows + some small, local shows. That's about it. Last ANA show I went to was Phila. The coins I'm looking for are fairly specific, so my show yield is fairly low.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to travel to one show each year (or so). I also get CSNS in St. Louis every couple years, the Silver Dollar Show annually (quasi-national show), and several local/regional shows each year.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Never been to one.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

Never been to one.

WHAT!?!?

Mark, you gotta get out of the reading room. It's too dark in there. Get out and go to a big show, you'll love it. You'd have to wear sunglasses, but at least you'd be out in the light!

Jack

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to go to all three Long Beach Shows, but since the October show has been moved to September -- which is usually when I go on vacation -- I only attend the first two shows in Long Beach.

Might add that my focus has changed. Five years ago, I could usually find a few coins to buy at each show. Now, with most of the pre 1835 material I want either priced too high and / or questionably toned IMO, the number and type of coins I am looking for is more narrowly focused, and difficult to find.

So, when I go to a show now, it's primarily to visit with people that I wouldn't see otherwise. I have only bought two coins in the last year, and only one of them at Long Beach.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Never been to a large show, but have been to several small ones.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I haven't been to a major show in a couple of years!
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 in a typical year:
    -- Long Beach
    -- Long Beach
    -- Long Beach
    -- one of the Santa Claras
    -- FUN Show

7 in a very busy year:
    -- Long Beach
    -- Long Beach
    -- Long Beach
    -- both of the Santa Claras
    -- FUN Show
    -- either the spring or summer ANA

The number has gone up one or two in the last five years, as I've gotten to know more fellow VAM folks and made plans to meet with them at shows. Ironically, as I've been going to more shows I have no doubt that I'm looking at fewer coins than in the past... probably as a result of more socializing and playing show & tell.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I've been to three this year. For the first time, I went to two shows in other states. FUN and ANA. Also the last Long Beach which is within driving distance.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I used to go to a few major shows each year. The past five years, I stopped going altogether. Air travel and staying in hotels is not my idea of a good time. Those darn plane seats are way too cramped for me. My coin money now is spent on auction lots---lots and lots and lots of money.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    I go to just to many coin shows both major and minor ones. Once a coin show gets into hundreds of dealer area the cost of everything goes up just to much. I presently go to about 3 coin shows a month around here. About 30 to 100 dealers each. These are free to get into, free parking, you get to know the dealers, prices of coins are less and most are within 12 miles. Unfortunately the food prices are a little high. Some of the much bigger coins shows I do go to there is a entrance fee, parking fee, the dealers have to pay more so their prices are more, the dealers travel farther and have to stay at motels or hotels so again their prices are higher to cover that and even worse is the cost of food is higher. There is one at a place near me about 2 times a year and the entrance is $5, parking is $11 and that is just to irritating for me. I go to them all but usually get bored about half way through with the out of reason prices and leave.
    Carl

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file