Home U.S. Coin Forum

If you could sum up Walter Breen in a single word what would it be?

If you could sum up Walter Breen in a single word what would it be?
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• Human
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited to agree with Goose
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    pedophile

when someone does that stuff......that's all they can ever be in my book.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    sicko (I agree with goose)
  • I never met him him but have read several things about him ... either way I get the felling this topic may be a bad idea. Probably best if I kept my opinion to myself...IMO

and as my dear sweet departed grandmother would say...

Grudge not one against another, lest ye be condemned - behold, the judge standeth before the door...
    ---------------------------------------------

"The Villain"

Shiba Rescue Organization
    A Shiba Inu is a terrible thing to waste! image
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Dead.

Disturbed. (when he wasn't dead)
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad.
    Larry

• TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    Enegma

No question his work in numismatics is great. How do you balance that with the reprehensible stuff he did in his personal life? Does it mean we shouldn't still see him as a great numismatist although a disturbed one. Whenever I see someone in the news that falls from grace I think of Walter Breen and how his work still has value though as a human he was quite disturbed. I admit I own several of his books but rarely open them. It just gives me the creeps.
  • dead Pedophile--
    morgannut2
  • FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>pedophile

when someone does that stuff......that's all they can ever be in my book. >>

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voluminous
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    wise guy......he was both.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • VeepVeep Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭
    Satan
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    pity
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    warped

Brilliant, but warped. He wrote "Greek Love" under the pseudonym J.Z. Eglinton. This book attempts to justify sexual relationships between adult men and young boys.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stupid question. It's impossible to "sum up" any person with just a single word.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

<< <i>Stupid question. It's impossible to "sum up" any person with just a single word. >>

True, especially someone as obviously complex as Walter Breen was. TRAGIC does kind of handle it in a tombstone inscription sort of way. (BTW, I did look for his on findagrave.com.)
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tragic.
    mirabela
  • borderline
    Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • Odd

He was always very nice to me when I was a little boy!
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    BetteroffDEAD

(yes, that counts as one word.)
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Is there a point to this thread?
    Every man is a self made man.

• << <i>Is there a point to this thread? >>

Another excuse for an examination of his sordid personal life?

I'll use two words to describe him: "flawed genius".

• AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>pedophile

image That vastly outweighs anything else he ever did, the image perv!!!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    pariah .................. image

How many young numismatists did he lead into the fold? image
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Evil

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He looked like Santa and dressed like a hippie! I met him.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Psychopathic.

Anyone who could do that to young children, and then write books justifying it, is obviously completely lacking in empathy.
    If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

-- Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows

My Ebay Auctions
  • AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Dichotomy
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ego
  • IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975

<< <i>Encyclopediophilic >>

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>pedophile

image >>

So, what do you do with his books...toss them?

The picture of him in the "half cents" book is great photography but why is he wearing Vietnamese thongs (shoes)?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stupid question. It's impossible to "sum up" any person with just a single word. >>

Agree
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>Stupid question. It's impossible to "sum up" any person with just a single word >>

Oh I don't know, I think Ksteelheader did it pretty well, human. We all have our faults and the skeletons in our closets. Impulses we can't control and actions that we can. Who here has never done anything he shouldn't have? Or conversely done something he shouldn't even though he knew he shouldn't? We all fail to live up to the standards of perfection. Yes, Walter was a pediphile, but I don't hold that against him. Just as I wouldn't hold someone being homosexual against them. I don't believe those things which turn us on sexually are a matter of choice. We are either born with our choices hardwired into us, or they are programmed into us so early there is no chance of being able to undo it. So all someone who has impulses that society frowns on can do is try and control them. Sometimes they fail. If you are heterosexual and fail and feel up an adult member of the opposite sex you might get a reprimand, maybe lose a job, or at worst face a sexual assault charge, which I believe is a mistimeanor. If you are a pediphile and fail and feel up a child, your a sexual predator, may quite possible face jail time and be on the federal sexual predator list for life. Your movements monitored, and no matter how well you control yourself after that the stigma will follow you forever. Move and all your new neighbors may be told all about your crime and you have to face it all over again.

What worry me is that society has a history of slowly changing what it considers acceptable. Sixty years ago you could go to jail or even be killed for dating someone of another race. Today it is accepted. Not that long ago homosexuals could be beaten, jailed, lose their jobs etc if it was learned that they were attracted to members of the same sex. Even if they never acted upon those impulses. Today it is not yet accepted, but it is tolerated and they can live out a fairly normal life even raising families. I believe in the near future they will finally be allowed to marry.

So far society has shown no tendency to soften it's stance on pediphillia though. Probably because the victims of it are not able to make informed decisions for themselves. And I think it is good that we do protect children in this way, but I also think that the condemnation for all eternaty is a bit excessive.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice PC post, Conder! image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Could we please, once and for all, let this issue go, and let Walter rest in peace. The man is dead, for heaven's sake. What's done is done. There is no form of justice that this forum can deliver that compares with what Walter is now facing. No one's opinion will be changed by anything that can or will be said here. Everyone's mind is made up. Walter Breen made significant contributions to the numismatic hobby; that simply cannot be denied. He also committed crimes against humanity, was convicted and sentenced, and was paying his debt to society when he died. It is time that we all let him rest in peace, and move on to more constructive discussions. Please do not dig up his bones and kick them around every month or so. There truly is no point to this thread.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redundant

That’s what I’d call any more solicitations about Walter Breen. He was a wonderful numismatic researcher and writer, and I grew up as a collector enjoying his works. As a human he was flawed, as we all are, except some are more flawed than others.

The usual suspects are going to focus his flaws and condemn his entire life for them. They have a point, but I think that the blanket condemnations are unfair.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I normally subscribe to the theory that a person cannot be summed up with one word, I make an exception where pedophiles or rapists are concerned.

But not murderers? image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>pedophile

Unfortunately, that's the first word that came to my mind as well. Despite his genius, his immorality is a signifcant portion of his legacy.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • dirty-f**K
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    <<Enegma>>

A cross between an enema and an enigma?
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was going to list murderers but it depends on the context in which the murder was committed. Self defense, certain types of revenge (like against someone who killed or raped your child), would be excusable morally in my eyes. Any type of rape of pedophilia is inexcusable under any and all circumstances. >>

But in legal terms, if the slaying was justifiable it would not be murder, but "justifiable homicide."

<< <i>

<< <i>I was going to list murderers but it depends on the context in which the murder was committed. Self defense, certain types of revenge (like against someone who killed or raped your child), would be excusable morally in my eyes. Any type of rape of pedophilia is inexcusable under any and all circumstances. >>

But in legal terms, if the slaying was justifiable it would not be murder, but "justifiable homicide." >>

I think this is technically murder but excusable. Consider the case where you are trained to kill, perhaps military or paramilitary training. Someone wants to take out a rival drug lord but it is too dangerous. So they kidnap your kid and threaten to kill the child unless you kill their rival. Your choice to take the contract hit is murder. The subject should be brought to justice anyway and won't be missed by civilized society.

NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

• << <i>Could we please, once and for all, let this issue go, and let Walter rest in peace. The man is dead, for heaven's sake. What's done is done. There is no form of justice that this forum can deliver that compares with what Walter is now facing. No one's opinion will be changed by anything that can or will be said here. Everyone's mind is made up. Walter Breen made significant contributions to the numismatic hobby; that simply cannot be denied. He also committed crimes against humanity, was convicted and sentenced, and was paying his debt to society when he died. It is time that we all let him rest in peace, and move on to more constructive discussions. Please do not dig up his bones and kick them around every month or so. There truly is no point to this thread. >>

Thank you for a very well thought out post--let it go. Every time someone stumbles on his past they feel that they have to talk about it--redundant and boring for everyone who knows the sordid details.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!

• << <i>Redundant

That’s what I’d call any more solicitations about Walter Breen. He was a wonderful numismatic researcher and writer, and I grew up as a collector enjoying his works. As a human he was flawed, as we all are, except some are more flawed than others.

The usual suspects are going to focus his flaws and condemn his entire life for them. They have a point, but I think that the blanket condemnations are unfair. >>

Well put Bill.

Ray
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Odd

He was always very nice to me when I was a little boy! >>

imageimage
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I just asked for a word, not a direction.

I met him as a boy, read his books growing up. I learned more about coins from his books than any other source except maybe the Redbook (although I must admit I learned more on Seated Dimes from Gerry Fortin's website and Brian Greers' book)

If did have to choose a single word it would be - waste
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • lsicalsica Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭
    Tragic

A man of incredible knowledge and genius, who destroyed that by falling to his own ego and his most darkest, sickest, and most evil desires.

Tragic, for sure
    Philately will get you nowhere....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file