Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

US commemoratives are our greatest coin designs

shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
My Altered Surfaces sig is created almost completely from US commemoratives.
There's a good reason for that. US commems are, without a doubt, the most
interesting group of coin designs ever minted by our country.

None of these designs had a chance of being minted by the US Mint as a standard issue.
Too radical, too creative, too different. These are darkside coins. Distinctly different from
all other series due to the multitude of designs.

Some examples.

The JFS collection was the finest ever imaged by Heritage (or whoever imaged this
collection for Heritage).

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Wouldn't it be pretty cool to have at least one commem-quality artisticly-designed coin in circulation today?
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Paul,
    I really enjoyed browsing through your "altered surfaces". I almost gave up on it as loading even on a T1 line was kind of slow. I'm glad I waited as your work is outstanding.
    Thanks,
    Richard
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Actually, wasn't the Washington quarter initiated as a commemorative coin?

Yes, I know the story of Frasier being selected twice and the mint director choosing his favorite. The '99 $5 gold commem is what should have become our quarter. I think it's the one of the most dramatic pieces of art in U.S. Coinage.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I love the Texas reverse.... never seen a coin with so much complex detail.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Not really...see Bowers' new Washington Quarter book for a good up to date explaination.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I agree the Classic Commemorative series designs are overall pretty fantastic.image

As we have seen on many CU threads, there are a number of Classic Commem designs that are not popular, like the Bookers and Carvers. It could be because the coins are fairly common, or because the look simply does not appeal to many collectors. Designs like Antietam, Gettysburg, Oregon Trail, and Missouri seem to appeal to most of us.

I gave up buying the designs that do not appeal to me. Instead, I buy up all the duplicates I like.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    I agree completely. I am building a set myself. Nice photos!!!
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree. Wouldn't it be pretty cool to have at least one commem-quality artisticly-designed coin in circulation today? >>

Kin I git an amen?
  • Options

<< <i>US commems are, without a doubt, the most
    interesting group of coin designs ever minted by our country.

<< <i>

I AGREE! image
  • Options
    Our greatest designs?? You bet couldnt agree more super stuff..
    Bruce Scher
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, the most beautiful coin the US has ever made:

imageimage
  • Options
    Correct !
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    itsnotjustme, I love that Texas reverse also! image

Here's another favorite of mine:

imageimage
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Totally agreed! There are so many beautiful examples among the classic commems that, with few exceptions, they can't (and probably shouldn't) even be compared with the standard issue coinage.
  • Options
    It dosn't get any better looking than this beauty:
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some clunkers in the early commemorative series, I'll agree that most are very nice. Put next to today's cartoonish commems, they are ultra-high relief medals. I've refrained from putting this one away since receiving it.

Oh, and I love the Grant "Christmas" coin you have on Altered Surfaces. Have you ordered Christmas cards with that image?
  • Options

<< <i>In my opinion, the most beautiful coin the US has ever made:

imageimage >>

Correct !
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And then there are clunkers like the Arkansas, Spanish Trail and Wisconsin in the "early series," and the Special Olympics, 1988 Olympics dollar and Capital Visitors’ Center half dollar in the modern series, among others.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree! The older the better. K

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the Texas reverse.... never seen a coin with so much complex detail.

image >>

come on now- that design has NOTHING over this beauty...look at this hair detail--or the ear---or the detailed neck or the .....
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I've always like this design.image

But lets not carried away here. There are some doggy commem designs too.
  • Options
    All kidding aside- the Pilgrim has always been a commem I have liked
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too Fats ... my pics suck (I took them!) K

• Options
    FatMan, that is the nicest Connecticut I have ever seen. Bravo!!!image
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Nic - that Connecticut is awesome.

• Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    Great topic. Let's have some more discussion.
    imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Connecticut commem a lot too.
    Connecticut is also one of the two or three statehood quarters that I like.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Wow, that Connecticut is SMOKIN'!
    imageimage
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Bowers and Merena have a Monster of a 2X2 Alabama coming up for Auction in Chicago. It's in an NGC holder though. image Wish I had the dough.

A beautiful coin from the standpoint of originality, both sides display lavender-toned centers that are framed in equally soft powder-blue, gold and orange-red peripheral highlights. The colors are well blended over both sides, and they help to accent an uncommonly smooth sheen for a Commemorative Half Dollar of this type. Satiny in luster quality, and housed in an older NGC holder with a thick border and large hologram.

• Options
    Thats probably the nicest Alabama I have ever seen...

Damn you guys!!! I just recently talked myself out of completing the entire 50 piece set. I need 17 more. I see all these nice commems that keep getting posted and I want to get back into it. Damn this hobby!

I haven't posted this one in a while:

• Options
    That Alabama is lovely. I'm sure it will command a strong price.

To answer the orignial posters statement, I do believe that some of the greatest US coin designs are on the Classic Commems.
    imageimage
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    All the above have been beautiful classics, how about the ones you think are artisticly challenged ?
  • Options
    I replied to this very post 2 years ago and i still agree, commemoratives are the best!

My Early Commemoratives

My Modern Commemoratives
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    YTou'll get no debate nor argument from me on that statement!

Some day, I'll get me one.......................

or two.......................

What the heck! Maybe three.......................image

I'll start with the Texas though since that one is so busy, yet very nicely done!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    yippie! a chance to display my favorite set! image

-sm
  • Options
    Who are the best dealers in the Commems?? I may be very interested in these for the beauty and history
    Thanks
    Jon
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Definitely some of the most beautiful. image

imageimage
    aka Dan
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    one of my favorite series
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>All the above have been beautiful classics, how about the ones you think are artisticly challenged ? >>

York county, Long Island, Delaware would get my nod.

And yes, I love classics and gosh there are some beauts in this thread. I've always thought of the Sesqui as an uninteresting coin, but Joe J's is so well struck I may have to rethink that...
  • Options

<< <i>Who are the best dealers in the Commems?? I may be very interested in these for the beauty and history
    Thanks
    Jon >>

Pinnacle Rarities, Wayne Herndon, Michael Printz, Anaconda immediately come to mind.

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the Texas reverse.... never seen a coin with so much complex detail.

image >>

Very nice indeed, one of my favorites too. I'm just getting started with the classics and I agree with the OP observations.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    I'm in agreement with the Texas reverse. I also like the Illinois reverse.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    In 1916, sculptor Gutzon Borglum was commissioned by the stone mountain Confederate Monumental Association to carve a large bust of General Robert E. Lee into the mountain’s broad northeast face. The Association envisioned something on the order of 20 feet square that could be viewed with a telescope. Borglum countered with a much grander pictorial scene of CSA officers on horseback accompanied by a parade of infantry. Also envisioned were a memorial hall and museum at the base of the mountain, as well as a gigantic amphitheater. Borglum’s power of persuasion was superb, and the Association followed his lead; the plan was approved. On June 18, 1923 sculptor Gutzon Borglum began work in earnest carving an immensely ambitious memorial to the Confederacy in the granite face of Stone Mountian, Georgia.

• Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Love that Stone Mountain Lee. image
    aka Dan
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that Stone Mountain is unreal, wow, is it a 67?

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Here is my whiter than white Stone Mtn:

• Options
    I remember this one.
    Good thread.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji